Do you think the Trump Presidency, so far, has been a disaster?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:10:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you think the Trump Presidency, so far, has been a disaster?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you think the Trump Presidency, so far, has been a disaster?  (Read 1247 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:54:22 PM »

What are your opinions?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »

That isn't fair to disasters
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »

See Puerto Rico for all the blood he has on his hands thanks to his incompetence, and that's just ONE thing out of dozens.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »

The Trump Presidency so far has been a clown show. But what is far worse than deplorable idiot shock-jock Donnie doing The Apprentice President is what's happening just under the surface.

Trump is driving the nation apart and increasing factionalism. He's encouraging violence. He's planting the seeds for future intra-national conflicts while simultaneously weakening both the capabilities of, and public trust in, our government and other institutions.

His motives, at this point, are irrelevant. The Presidency of Donald Trump is an ongoing attack on the United States of America. An attack subtle enough that even those who oppose him politically or hate him personally mostly don't see it for what it is.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 11:09:35 PM »

A solid 4 out of 10...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:44 AM »

He's a rather standard conservative Republican.  His administration is virtually no different than that of the Reagan and Bush administrations.  It's really all the same agenda: less taxes, cut social programs, tough talk towards the enemy, military buildup, use patriotism to whip up supporters against the coastal liberal elites, Scalias on the courts.  I lived through the Bush administration.  None of this is new.

Donald Trump is a throwback President.  His whole message is taking America back to a previous greatness.  At the same time, his behavior is so contemporary in its crudeness.  No self-respecting man would have behaved this way back in the 1950s.  People were much more dignified and professional back then in public.  The idea of a President using the words "son of a bitch" at a rally would have been unthinkable.  Of course previous Presidents used course language, but Trump flaunts it in a way that has turned the Presidency into a profanity-laden reality TV show.  When a President has to be bleeped when he gives a speech on TV, you know there is no class anymore.

America can't seem to break out of these hyper-partisan administrations.  For 4 or 8 years, one half of the country is miserable until the other side wins again, then the other half is miserable.  After 2006, 2008, 2010, 2016, its all the same old pattern repeating itself and its getting old.

In the Bush years, I was scared and angry, in the Obama years, I was frustrated yet optimistic, now in the Trump teens, I am just done with the cycle. 

Are there are any people on here who were teens or college students in the 2000s and are now in their thirties, and are becoming extremely depressed about politics?  I'm starting to begin to understand why my dad is so cynical.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »

It would have to significantly improve work its way up to the level of a disaster.

I would say that this was really really obvious to anyone that paid an ounce of attention to the November election and thought about what would happen. But I won't because as Mark Twain once said it's much easier to cheat a voter than it is to convince them they've been cheated.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »

The Trump Presidency so far has been a clown show. But what is far worse than deplorable idiot shock-jock Donnie doing The Apprentice President is what's happening just under the surface.

Trump is driving the nation apart and increasing factionalism. He's encouraging violence. He's planting the seeds for future intra-national conflicts while simultaneously weakening both the capabilities of, and public trust in, our government and other institutions.

His motives, at this point, are irrelevant. The Presidency of Donald Trump is an ongoing attack on the United States of America. An attack subtle enough that even those who oppose him politically or hate him personally mostly don't see it for what it is.
Well put!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »

He's a rather standard conservative Republican.  His administration is virtually no different than that of the Reagan and Bush administrations.  It's really all the same agenda: less taxes, cut social programs, tough talk towards the enemy, military buildup, use patriotism to whip up supporters against the coastal liberal elites, Scalias on the courts.  I lived through the Bush administration.  None of this is new.

Donald Trump is a throwback President.  His whole message is taking America back to a previous greatness.  At the same time, his behavior is so contemporary in its crudeness.  No self-respecting man would have behaved this way back in the 1950s.  People were much more dignified and professional back then in public.  The idea of a President using the words "son of a bitch" at a rally would have been unthinkable.  Of course previous Presidents used course language, but Trump flaunts it in a way that has turned the Presidency into a profanity-laden reality TV show.  When a President has to be bleeped when he gives a speech on TV, you know there is no class anymore.

America can't seem to break out of these hyper-partisan administrations.  For 4 or 8 years, one half of the country is miserable until the other side wins again, then the other half is miserable.  After 2006, 2008, 2010, 2016, its all the same old pattern repeating itself and its getting old.

In the Bush years, I was scared and angry, in the Obama years, I was frustrated yet optimistic, now in the Trump teens, I am just done with the cycle.  

Are there are any people on here who were teens or college students in the 2000s and are now in their thirties, and are becoming extremely depressed about politics?  I'm starting to begin to understand why my dad is so cynical.

except Bush and Reagan would condemn racism , supported pro immigration policies  , acted presidential, and werent insane in general .
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »

He's a rather standard conservative Republican.  His administration is virtually no different than that of the Reagan and Bush administrations.  It's really all the same agenda: less taxes, cut social programs, tough talk towards the enemy, military buildup, use patriotism to whip up supporters against the coastal liberal elites, Scalias on the courts.  I lived through the Bush administration.  None of this is new.

Donald Trump is a throwback President.  His whole message is taking America back to a previous greatness.  At the same time, his behavior is so contemporary in its crudeness.  No self-respecting man would have behaved this way back in the 1950s.  People were much more dignified and professional back then in public.  The idea of a President using the words "son of a bitch" at a rally would have been unthinkable.  Of course previous Presidents used course language, but Trump flaunts it in a way that has turned the Presidency into a profanity-laden reality TV show.  When a President has to be bleeped when he gives a speech on TV, you know there is no class anymore.

America can't seem to break out of these hyper-partisan administrations.  For 4 or 8 years, one half of the country is miserable until the other side wins again, then the other half is miserable.  After 2006, 2008, 2010, 2016, its all the same old pattern repeating itself and its getting old.

Are there are any people on here who were teens or college students in the 2000s and are now in their thirties, and are becoming extremely depressed about politics?  I'm starting to begin to understand why my dad is so cynical.

except Bush and Reagan would condemn racism , supported pro immigration policies  , acted presidential, and werent insane in general .

All of this.

We are still not feeling the main effects yet.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

He has had the worst first year in office then any US president. Hell, even Lincoln had a better year and that is with half of the country seceding.

What makes his ineptitude even more remarkable is that Obama left him with a good situation. I mean you have to be really incompetent to have a sub 40 approval rating with a stable and growing economy.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 02:37:12 PM »

He's a rather standard conservative Republican.  His administration is virtually no different than that of the Reagan and Bush administrations.  It's really all the same agenda: less taxes, cut social programs, tough talk towards the enemy, military buildup, use patriotism to whip up supporters against the coastal liberal elites, Scalias on the courts.  I lived through the Bush administration.  None of this is new.

Donald Trump is a throwback President.  His whole message is taking America back to a previous greatness.  At the same time, his behavior is so contemporary in its crudeness.  No self-respecting man would have behaved this way back in the 1950s.  People were much more dignified and professional back then in public.  The idea of a President using the words "son of a bitch" at a rally would have been unthinkable.  Of course previous Presidents used course language, but Trump flaunts it in a way that has turned the Presidency into a profanity-laden reality TV show.  When a President has to be bleeped when he gives a speech on TV, you know there is no class anymore.

America can't seem to break out of these hyper-partisan administrations.  For 4 or 8 years, one half of the country is miserable until the other side wins again, then the other half is miserable.  After 2006, 2008, 2010, 2016, its all the same old pattern repeating itself and its getting old.

Are there are any people on here who were teens or college students in the 2000s and are now in their thirties, and are becoming extremely depressed about politics?  I'm starting to begin to understand why my dad is so cynical.
Oh God yes.  It's so very old at this point. 
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »

Absolutely.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »

Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

He has had the worst first year in office then any US president. Hell, even Lincoln had a better year and that is with half of the country seceding.

What makes his ineptitude even more remarkable is that Obama left him with a good situation. I mean you have to be really incompetent to have a sub 40 approval rating with a stable and growing economy.

It's not just that Trump is incompetent, he's also an asshole.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »

It's not just that Trump is incompetent, he's also an asshole.

True, but you can be an asshole and be an effective president (ex. Lyndon Johnson).

Trump's biggest problem is that he is grossly incompetent. All of his problems start there, most voters would be willing to put up with him being an asshole and unprofessional if he was actually competent at his job.

Trump's incompetence is his waterloo. if the Mueller stuff doesn't amount to anything, this is what will finish him in 2020.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 04:34:34 PM »

Better than a Ted Cruz presidency.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2017, 05:20:19 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

I find myself agreeing with most of this.  

I agree with the underlined part.  I would never act as he does if I were in a public role.  I don't act that way in my private life.  But we have become a coarsened society to the point where, sadly, even some Christians don't readily see how coarse Trump is.  That's why the Trump tut-tutters never gain traction; Trump is compared to current society, and he mirrors it in may ways, does he not.

I don't see Trump as a disaster, no.  Nor do I see him as incompetent.  I have not yet decided on whether or not to support him for re-election, however, and I'm not going to ask anyone else to support him, save for the Democrats nominating someone like Jill Stein or Maxine Waters, or someone "out there" like those folks.
swf541

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 05:40:43 PM »

Before PR i wouldnt say disaster per se, seeing how puerto rico is turning out post maria I think it can be called a disaster
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »

Yup. His narcissism is ruining what could’ve been a great administration.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »

It would be helpful if he would just stop tweeting.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 10:53:42 PM »

It has been a disaster for the left.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »

Explain, please.

As I see it, it's been a disaster for the country as a whole.  But no one can look objectively at the current administration and not see it as a complete and total disaster.  If you don't see it, you're either low information or you're Trump.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies