Opinion of aborting a fetus solely because it is a woman? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:11:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of aborting a fetus solely because it is a woman? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom Action

Horrible Action, but it should be legal

Horrible Action, and it should be illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of aborting a fetus solely because it is a woman?  (Read 938 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« on: September 30, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

The only way this question is relevant is if you're requiring women to justify why they want an abortion. I don't believe that anyone should have to do that, so it's an irrelevant question to me. If the abortion is legal, she should be allowed to have it, no questions asked.

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »

The only way this question is relevant is if you're requiring women to justify why they want an abortion. I don't believe that anyone should have to do that, so it's an irrelevant question to me. If the abortion is legal, she should be allowed to have it, no questions asked.

I don't have an opinion is not an answer.

This is an opinion. Framing an abortion as either "a freedom action" or "a horrible action" is senseless. Yes, a woman should be allowed to abort her fetus without any inquiries if it's a legal abortion (not late-term), and yes, even if it's for a stupid reason such as this one. No, it's not a freedom action. I voted for option 2 because it's the closest to what I believe in, but yes, it's "perfectly acceptable" from a legal point of view.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:18:47 PM »

I really don't understand what everyone here is practically suggesting. Do you want to question every woman who wants to abort her embryo?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:01:51 PM »

I really don't understand what everyone here is practically suggesting. Do you want to question every woman who wants to abort her embryo?

First off, Fetus /=/ Embryo - they are two different terms referring to two different stages of pregnancy. This question specifically asked about fetuses, which refers to the 9th week of Pregnancy and beyond. Embryo is first 8 weeks only.

Second, with any limitation on abortion comes some form of questioning. You want a parental notification requirement? Congratulations, you're asking the woman whether her parents know. You want to limit late term abortions to life or health of the mother? Congratulations, you're asking (either directly or indirectly through medical tools) whether the abortion is being done for a medical reason. You want a blanket ban on abortion after 24 weeks? Congratulations, you're asking (either directly or indirectly through medical tools) how long the woman has been pregnant. Unless you literally want free and unfettered abortion at any point in pregnancy, some form of questioning is required to enforce literally any limitation on abortion.

My bad, I know the difference between an embryo snd a fetus but misread the question as a catch-all one for all stages.
As for the rest- a pregnancy is a medical condition, so of course your need to be questioned about your, well, medical condition. But asking a woman how long she had been pregnant (which a doctor should know anyway) is vastly different from humiliating questioning of a woman who made this tough decision. I stand by my words, as long as an abortion is legal (for example, if a certain state legalized abortions up to the 24th week), the woman shouldn't be required to provide any reasoning before a judging council that will decide if her reasoning is sound. After the 24th week, going by this example, yes, a questioning is needed to see if the woman fits one of the criterions for having a late abortion (such as rape and danger to her life). In that case, of course "it's a girl" or "it has a down syndrome" is not sound reasoning- but neither is anything else that does not fit the criteria.

So I still don't see what those who want to make it illegal are suggesting.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »

I'm not sure how laws could prevent this other than inventing mind-reading technology.

Did I ever talk about the law.

You asked whether it should be legal or illegal when it's not something which can be legislated for.

Pretty sure I didn't.

Look at the poll options?

Ok, I just copied that from another poll so woops, but the question was mainly intended at people who refused to call it a horrible action.

Of course it's a horrible action, then. My opposition is to people who want to make this illegal.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »

Interesting how progressives now support sex-selective abortions...

C'mon, you know this is just strawmanning.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies