GOP Prepares for Intraparty Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:30:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Prepares for Intraparty Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP Prepares for Intraparty Civil War  (Read 1680 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 11:17:15 AM »

I fail to see this.  The GOP has it s biggest majorities ever.

I'm not sure why that precludes "civil war" in the form of a slew of high profile primary challenges.  Yes, the GOP has big majorities, and yet Strange got a primary challenger.  There'll most likely be many other primary challenges next year.  That's what this story is talking about.  What part do you disagree with?

Strange wasn't an elected incumbent; he was an interim appointee who was appointed under somewhat unsavory conditions.  This situation almost always invites primary challenges, even in times when the state of the major party is harmonious.

OK, but it looks like there'll be more primary challenges next year.  Whether any of them succeed is unclear, but, as described in this story, Bannon, the Mercers, etc. are plotting more primary challenges.  That's what the story is calling "civil war".  Now, it might be hyperbole, since primary challenges to Republican incumbents have become much more routine in recent years, but it's the term the story used to describe this plotting by the Bannon brigade.  I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact that the GOP currently controls all the branches of government, so I'm not sure why you brought that up.  Bannon and friends are going to push their "insurgency" regardless of whether the party is in the majority or the minority, so what does the GOP being in power have to do with whether it's engaged in a "civil war"?

None of the rival factions want to damage the "brand" to where it is relegated to minority status.  This is a restraining force on the bomb-throwers.

Uhh do you think Trump cares about the GOP brand? The anti-GOP establishment faction are the people who were writing articles about how 2016 was the "Flight 93 election". They couldn't give a f--k about the Republican brand. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »

I'm not sure why that precludes "civil war" in the form of a slew of high profile primary challenges.  Yes, the GOP has big majorities, and yet Strange got a primary challenger.  There'll most likely be many other primary challenges next year.  That's what this story is talking about.  What part do you disagree with?

Strange wasn't an elected incumbent; he was an interim appointee who was appointed under somewhat unsavory conditions.  This situation almost always invites primary challenges, even in times when the state of the major party is harmonious.

OK, but it looks like there'll be more primary challenges next year.  Whether any of them succeed is unclear, but, as described in this story, Bannon, the Mercers, etc. are plotting more primary challenges.  That's what the story is calling "civil war".  Now, it might be hyperbole, since primary challenges to Republican incumbents have become much more routine in recent years, but it's the term the story used to describe this plotting by the Bannon brigade.  I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact that the GOP currently controls all the branches of government, so I'm not sure why you brought that up.  Bannon and friends are going to push their "insurgency" regardless of whether the party is in the majority or the minority, so what does the GOP being in power have to do with whether it's engaged in a "civil war"?

None of the rival factions want to damage the "brand" to where it is relegated to minority status.  This is a restraining force on the bomb-throwers.

Uhh do you think Trump cares about the GOP brand? The anti-GOP establishment faction are the people who were writing articles about how 2016 was the "Flight 93 election". They couldn't give a f--k about the Republican brand. 

Trump is tied into the GOP "brand" these days.  He gets that.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »

Trump thinks that he is more popular than the GOP, and he's probably right.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »

IMO,  that's because Trump is smarter than the GOP.

I've been listening to the "Trump is doomed!" crowd for over 2 years now, and they've never been right.  Never.  I've got to believe that Trump sees things outside the box in ways others either can't wrap their minds around or ways that others deny work.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »

I've been listening to the "Trump is doomed!" crowd for over 2 years now, and they've never been right.  Never.  I've got to believe that Trump sees things outside the box in ways others either can't wrap their minds around or ways that others deny work.

The problem isn't that Trump is a master genius, but rather that the conventional political class is so naive, out of touch, and stupid that they make him look clever in comparison.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »

The problem isn't that Trump is a master genius, but rather that the conventional political class is so naive, out of touch, and stupid that they make him look clever in comparison.

Negative 1 is a larger number than negative 20.  Either way, Trump's heads and tails ahead of his critics.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »

Kasich hints at leaving the Republican Party

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/01/politics/john-kasich-republican-party-cnntv/index.html
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »

If he actually does it, I will be extremely impressed.  But I think it's unlikely.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »

He's a pretty down-the-line conservative by the standards in place before Trump. I wonder if he would go further than not supporting the national Republican party or rebranding himself an "Independent Republican." I can't imagine that the Democrats or any third parties would appeal to him.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 07:24:21 PM »

In my opinion, it's the Democrats that are going to have the big intraparty civil war. If Trump toes the fiscally conservative line, he'll be right in place with the GOP.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 02:45:36 AM »

I don't think it's an "intraparty civil war" insomuch as it's a psych evaluation between the potty-trained Republicans and the Trumptards. Any Republican who doesn't support the Dear Leader 100 percent of the time is a RINO and can expect to be primaried by an even bigger deplorable. In 2010 it was establishment versus outsider teabaggers, now it's sane versus insane.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »

Then he should endorse Dough Jones in the AL race.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies