Comparing 1930, 1932, 2017 German elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:45:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Comparing 1930, 1932, 2017 German elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comparing 1930, 1932, 2017 German elections  (Read 592 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »

Share of parliament seats

Far left (KDP): 13.34%
Center left (SPD): 24.78%
Center right (Zentrum+DNVP+DVP+BVP+other): 43.34%
Far right (NSDAP): 18.54%

1932 July
Far left (KDP): 14.64%
Center left (SPD): 21.88%
Center right (Zentrum+DNVP+DVP+BVP+other): 25.65%
Far right (NSDAP): 37.83%

1932 November
Far left (KDP): 17.12%
Center left (SPD): 20.72%
Center right (Zentrum+DNVP+DVP+BVP+other): 28.60%
Far right (NSDAP): 33.56%

Far left (Linke): 9.73%
Center left (SPD+Grünen): 31.03%
Center right (CDU/CSU+FDP): 45.98%
Far right (AFD): 13.26%

We can see that both in the last elections of the Weimar Republic and now, the left-right balance is very close. ~40% for the left, 60% for the right. However, in 1932, both extremes were bigger tham they are now. The far left, center left, center right, far right balance of 2017 is very close to the one of 1930.
However, of course, the AFD is not the NSDAP.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »

I know the Allies after WW2, said enough is enough and they formally dissolved Prussia as a state within Germany. The allies figured that Prussian militarism was a huge factor in both world wars, and needed to be stamped out. Were the Nazis strongest in the 1930 and 1932 elections in Prussia? I am pretty sure that Bavaria, Austria and the other Catholic areas were very left wing.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:09 AM »

I know the Allies after WW2, said enough is enough and they formally dissolved Prussia as a state within Germany. The allies figured that Prussian militarism was a huge factor in both world wars, and needed to be stamped out. Were the Nazis strongest in the 1930 and 1932 elections in Prussia? I am pretty sure that Bavaria, Austria and the other Catholic areas were very left wing.

Hardly - I mean they voted Zentrum/BVP historically because of the political Catholicism thing and there wasn't a Protestant equivalent of that, and they were hardly "very left wing" and indeed were willing to vote for the Enabling Act.  SPD were strongest in 1930 and NSDAP 1932; however that was very much the case everywhere outside Berlin (KPD) and some of the Western Catholic areas which voted Zentrum to the end and some of them were part of Prussia.  The regional breakdowns that I can find show that the Prussian results were very similar to those of Germany as a whole - indeed compared to most other States the SPD vote was a lot higher probably because Prussia included most of the Industrial areas in Germany.  Also consider that Prussia had a party led by a coalition of Democratic Parties until very late in Weimar's history - I believe Papen was Chancellor when they acted to dissolve the Prussian government and force fresh elections which were held on the same day as the last not free and fair National elections.

Also including the DNVP and similar parties with the "Centre-right" number really is rather misleading: they are hardly comparable to the parties on that list that either were part of the Weimar coalition (Zentrum and I assume DDP since you don't measure them) or parties like the DVP who eventually broadly accepted the Weimar constitution and system, until the end period when they move right but then they were irrelevant anyway.  The DNVP, other than a few years in the glory days of Weimar, were strongly monarchist and anti-democratic; and were very willing to try to use the NSDAP as a way to get into power even before 1933 since they thought that they could outmanoeuvre them and push Hitler and similar people out when the time was right.
palandio

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 04:54:35 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2017, 06:15:08 AM by palandio »

Weimar era Reichstag election results for Prussia only:

http://www.gonschior.de/weimar/Preussen/Uebersicht_RTW.html

Keep in mind that there were strong regional differences (West: rather Catholic; industrialized areas: rather center-left/far-left; rural east: rather right-wing/far-right).
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 10:36:05 PM »

Wikipedia page in German has the results in each state
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstagswahl_1930
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies