1996: Dole out, Quayle in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:14:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1996: Dole out, Quayle in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: 1996: Dole out, Quayle in  (Read 11975 times)
BushKerry04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 10:27:46 PM »

March 13, 2000 - Gephardt, Bradley trade barbs in heated Florida debate

"As Democrats, we have to stand up to President Gramm's failed economic policies that benefit the wealthy and well-connected. We have to fight for a stronger middle-class and to strengthen the safety net while still balancing the federal budget. It's going to take progressive leadership that can get things done. Senator Bradley voted with Phil Gramm to send millions of jobs overseas by enacting trade agreements that allow foreign corporations to undercut the economic interests of millions of Americans. I opposed these trade policies and will fight to reverse them as President. I'll also fight to provide health insurance for every child in America by reversing the President's tax breaks for the rich and I'll raise our federal minimum wage to $10 per hour. We Democrats deserve a nominee and a President who will stop the Republican agenda and reverse it, not embrace it as Senator Bradley did during his 17 years in the U.S. Senate" - Dick Gephardt

"I am unapologetic in my progressive beliefs, but I also believe that leadership is about getting things done. I worked with Republicans and Democrats to reform our tax code in a way that kept taxes low for working families, but asked the largest corporations in our country to pay their fair share. I worked to create a new tax credit, the Earned Income Tax Credit, to help working families get ahead. I worked to protect our air and water and to support initiatives to find cures to diseases and fight world hunger. I stood by my progressive values, but I worked with members of both parties to get things done. Sadly, Leader Gephardt hasn't gotten any significant pieces of legislation passed despite being our leader in Congress for a decade. If we want to provide health insurance for every American, reverse this administration's disastrous environmental policies, fight for equality, and protect a woman's right to choose, we need someone who will work towards these policies and not just talk about them" - Bill Bradley

"Senator Bradley worked with Republicans on tax reform that left us with the largest debt in the history of our country. Senator Bradley's tax reform didn't ask the wealthy to pay their fair share, it didn't invest a penny into education, health care, or the environment. I worked with President Clinton to invest in education, clean air and water, and medicaid expansion by asking the wealthiest amongst us to pay a slightly higher income tax rate. Unfortunately, this administration gutted our programs and have left millions of Americans behind during this so-called economic recovery. For the millions of Americans who can't afford health insurance, who are struggling to send their kids to college, and who aren't able to find a job after their last job was sent overseas thanks to NAFTA, this is no recovery. What Senator Bradley offers Democratic Primary voters is a lot of promises, but no record of actually fighting for our values as Democrats. Senator Bradley fought for the Reagan economic agenda, which was the original Gramm economic agenda. In fact, Senator Bradley fought with Phil Gramm for the same policies while I was in Congress opposing their failed policies" - Dick Gephardt

"For the past ten days, Leader Gephardt and his campaign have ignored the facts, forgotten what they stand for, and they have gone negative since their campaign platform simply isn't selling with millions of progressives who understand that the Democratic Party can't simply stand against the policies of this administration, but must offer the American people a viable alternative. For the last decade, Leader Gephardt has appeared on Sunday morning talk shows, at fundraisers, and at luncheons for lobbyists. But he hasn't accomplished anything substantial in Congress. I was able to pass tax reform, a new tax credit for the working poor, a crackdown on corporate pollution, and record investments in public education. I worked with both Democrats and Republicans. So when I talk about civil rights, protecting a woman's right to choose, universal health care, and campaign finance reform, I mean what I say and say what I mean. I'm going to work with Congress, with members of both parties, to advance these goals" - Bill Bradley

March 14, 2000 - Gephardt wins Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas; Bradley wins Florida and Oklahoma

Florida - Bradley 51% Gephardt 48%
Louisiana - Gephardt 67% Bradley 32%
Mississippi - Gephardt 71% Bradley 28%
Texas - Gephardt 60% Bradley 39%
Oklahoma - Bradley 50% Gephardt 49%
Tennessee - Gephardt 62% Bradley 37%
BushKerry04

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 03:49:01 PM »

March 18, 2000 - TV Ads running in upcoming primary states

"Leader"
PRESIDENT GRAMM: Leadership is about doing what's right, what is morally correct, and taking positions that are in the best interests of everyone you serve. We've reduced taxes on all Americans, balanced budgets, helped our local police crack down on crime, and we've appointed judges who adhere to our constitution. When I fought for these policies, I did so because they were right, not because they were popular in a public opinion poll. If we want to keep our economy strong and defend our values, we have to keep working towards a more perfect union. I'm ready to lead in that effort for four more years.
NARRATOR: President Gramm. Conservative leadership working for us.

"Chance"
NARRATOR: Should Americans take a chance on Dick Gephardt? Gephardt opposed President Gramm's tax cuts for working families, opposed balancing the budget, opposed free trade that's created millions of jobs, opposed rebuilding the American military, and he even opposed bi-partisan investments in local police forces.
PRESIDENT GRAMM: For four years, we've worked together to grow our economy and create jobs, balance the budget, promote personal responsibility, defend our values, and crack down on crime. Leader Gephardt has opposed us every step of the way. We simply can't take a chance on Dick Gephardt.
NARRATOR: President Gramm. Conservative leadership working for us.

"Choice"
NARRATOR 1: 900,000 manufacturing jobs lost since NAFTA. Trade deficits increasing for six years in a row. Stagnant wages for working families. 32 million Americans without health insurance. Phil Gramm's answer? Cut taxes for the rich, and everything will be fine.
DICK GEPHARDT: I'm Dick Gephardt and I'm running for President to reverse NAFTA, repeal President Gramm's tax breaks for the rich to invest in health care for every child in America, our public schools, and infrastructure. I'm running for President to fight for the forgotten men and women of this country who've been ignored by politicians for far too long.
NARRATOR: Dick Gephardt for President. A brighter future for America.

"Bradley"
NARRATOR 1: Bill Bradley says he's the progressive in the race for President. But the truth? Bradley supported NAFTA, which shipped 900,000 jobs overseas. He made sure tax rates were kept low for the wealthy and supports taxpayer-funded private school for the children of millionaires. Bill Bradley is no progressive.
NARRATOR 2: Dick Gephardt is a consistent progressive. Gephardt opposed NAFTA, President Gramm's tax breaks for the rich, and he stopped Republicans from gutting medicare. Dick Gephardt for President. A brighter future for America.

"Ideas"
BILL BRADLEY: I'm Bill Bradley. In the United States Senate, I worked with both political parties to close corporate tax loopholes, crack down on corporate polluters, and combat world hunger. I'm running for President because I believe the ideas we progressives believe in can become law. We can provide health insurance for every American, reform our campaign finance system, and protect a woman's right to choose. I'm running for President to restore hope and broaden prosperity, and I know we can do just that.
NARRATOR: Bradley for President. Restore hope for all.

March 21, 2000 - Gephardt wins Illinois Democratic Primary

Dick Gephardt 58%
Bill Bradley 41%

March 25, 2000 - Bradley wins Delaware Caucuses, Gephardt wins Wyoming Caucuses

Delaware - Bradley 60% Gephardt 39%
Wyoming - Gephardt 84% Bradley 15%
BushKerry04

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

April 4, 2000 - Gephardt wins Pennsylvania Primary

Dick Gephardt 50%
Bill Bradley 49%

April 15, 2000 - Gephardt wins Virginia Caucuses

Dick Gephardt 59%
Bill Bradley 40%

April 17, 2000 - BREAKING: After major losses in Pennsylvania and Virginia, Bradley exits Presidential Race, Gephardt becomes Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee

"During my 17 years in the United States Senate, I tried my best to work with members of both political parties to get things done without sacrificing my principles. I'm proud of my service in the United States Senate, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished during this campaign. We talked about important issues like health care, equal rights for all Americans, and strengthening the safety net while encouraging education and hard work. Our campaign was always about a cause, not a candidate. We outperformed expectations and created a new progressive movement that will bring our party to victory in November. But I know that in order to win, we have to have a unified Democratic Party. So tonight, I am announcing that I am ending my campaign for the presidency and I'll be supporting Dick Gephardt for President of the United States" - Bill Bradley

"My fellow Americans, tonight we've proven once again than in this great country, the son of working-class parents from the heartland can still grow up and be the Democratic nominee for President of the United States. This election is about working Americans who are trying to make it paycheck to paycheck in the Gramm economy. Today, millions of Americans have been left behind without a job, without health insurance, and without a quality education. Unfair trade deals, medicaid funding cuts, and an administration that has sought to dismantle the public education system have devastated millions of our fellow citizens. For my entire adult life, I have fought for working men and women who far too often don't have a voice in Washington D.C. I'm ready to fight for the forgotten men and women of this country as President of these United States" - Dick Gephardt, Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee

April 23, 2000 - POLL: Gramm enjoys solid lead, maintains positive approval rating

Gramm Approval - Approve 54% Disapprove 37%
National - Gramm 51% Gephardt 39%
Ohio - Gramm 49% Gephardt 40%
Pennsylvania - Gephardt 46% Gramm 45%
Florida - Gramm 50% Gephardt 40%
Missouri - Gephardt 47% Gramm 44%
Arizona - Gramm 52% Gephardt 36%
Michigan - Gephardt 48% Gramm 45%
Iowa - Gramm 52% Gephardt 39%
Wisconsin - Gramm 49% Gephardt 41%

May 1, 2000 - SOURCES: Gephardt considering at least seven names for Vice President

WASHINGTON, DC - Democratic Party sources told CBS News that Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Dick Gephardt is considering Governor of Vermont Howard Dean, Former Governor of New Jersey Jim Florio, Former Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder, U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, Former U.S. Senator and Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Bradley, U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, and U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut to be his running-mate in the 2000 election. The sources say Gephardt is less concerned with which state his running-mate is from and is looking to find someone who appeals to progressive voters without alienating the political center. One source said that there is a divide within the Gephardt campaign as to who the House Democratic Leader should pick; Gephardt campaign manager Steve Murphy is reported to be lobbying Gephardt to select Dean as his running-mate to make progressives happy, while others believe Gephardt needs Wilder or Kerrey, who are both seen as to Gephardt's right.

BushKerry04

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 12:12:52 AM »

June 17, 2000 - BREAKING: Gephardt taps Dean for Vice President

"Four years ago, I stood before you at this convention and pledged to fight for a conservative platform that I proposed to the American people during the campaign of 1996. I promised I'd fight to lower taxes, and we lowered taxes. I promised to fight to reverse burdensome regulations, and we reduced burdensome regulations. I promised I'd fight to reform welfare, and we reformed welfare. I promised to appoint judges who believe in the constitution, and I did that. And I promised I'd fight to balance the federal budget, and we did just that. I don't bring these accomplishments up to pat my own back or to take credit for the work we did together. I bring them up to demonstrate that when I say I'll do something, you can count on me to do it. A second term provides us the opportunity to enact tort reform to lower the cost of health care, save social security and medicare for future generations, reform our education system by demanding accountability and promoting choice, and a second term gives us the chance to finally secure our border. Some believe this election is a referendum on the current state of affairs. The reality is, this election is about what kind of America we want for this generation and the next. Today, our economy is growing, Americans are finding more opportunities, families are having less difficulty making ends meet, our military is the strongest it's ever been, and the sanctity of human life is being respected. The question before us is, do we want to continue these policies which have worked, or will we return to the policies of long ago that led to stagnant wages, more unemployment, and less confidence in the future? This is the greatest nation on the face of the planet, a nation I have had the honor to lead for four years. I know that Americans will reject the failed policies of the past and embrace the endless possibilities granted to our nation by an almighty God who has blessed us time after time" - President Phil Gramm, 2000 Republican Presidential Nominee
BushKerry04

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 04:34:56 PM »

October 4, 2000 - Gramm, Gephardt participate in first Presidential Debate

"When I ran for President four years ago, I promised to cut taxes, expand free trade, reduce regulations on job creators, balance the budget, reform welfare, and stand up for the dignity of every human life. Four years later, I'm proud to say we've done that. Today, unemployment is half of what it was in 1996. Welfare rolls are down 47%. Poverty is at it's lowest level in four decades. We are headed in the right direction and I believe that a second term affords us the opportunity to tackle some tough problems like entitlements, tort reform, enhancing border security, and improving the quality of our public schools. Together, we can make our hopes reality" - Phil Gramm

"The President has fought for the very wealthy. Corporate profits are at their highest level in history as this administration has cut taxes for the very wealthy, made it easier for corporations to outsource, and he's cut regulations that protected workers and consumers. In Congress, I have voted against virtually every trade agreement that sent jobs overseas, against this President's tax scheme for the rich, and I fought hard to raise the minimum wage and invest in education and health care under the previous administration. We need to fight for the forgotten men and women across this country who have been left behind thanks to NAFTA, Wall Street, and this administration" - Dick Gephardt

"My opponent and I have very different governing philosophies and beliefs. My opponent voted to increase taxes over 300 times in the past decade and now is proposing a massive, $500 billion tax hike on American companies. I signed one of the largest tax reductions in history. My opponent opposed balancing the budget and has proposed over $800 billion in new federal spending. I've balanced three budgets, eliminated the budget deficit, and we've begun paying down debt. I supported new trade agreements that are estimated to have created over 1.2 million jobs, my opponent opposed these agreements. I signed a ban on partial-birth abortion and will continue to appoint judges who believe in the constitution, my opponent has pledged to appoint judicial activists" - Phil Gramm

"I've opposed trade agreements that have sent nearly a million jobs overseas since 1992. I'd add that I've opposed these trade agreements under both Republican and Democratic administrations. NAFTA and several of the free trade agreements approved by this administration ignore human rights, environmental standards, and put our workers at a competitive disadvantage relative to our competitors. This is the defining economic issue of our time. It's a question of leadership. This President has stood and will continue to stand with corporate interests who want cheap foreign labor. I want to stand with small and medium sized businesses and the American worker in keeping our jobs here in this country" - Dick Gephardt    

October 12, 2000 - Dole, Dean participate in Vice Presidential Debate

"The President and I have fought for policies to help grow the economy, strengthen families, and keep our nation safe. To grow our economy, we've cut taxes, reduced regulations, promoted free trade, and reformed our welfare system to encourage work. The results are clear. Unemployment, welfare rolls, and poverty are at historic lows. The American private sector has created over 14.5 million jobs since 1996. To strengthen the American family, we've fought for a strong moral foundation. We ended the cruel practice of partial-birth abortion and we said no to banning school prayer. To keep our country safe, we've restored the previous administration's cuts to our defenses. Give us four more years, and we'll continue fighting for you" - Elizabeth Dole

"This administration has the wrong priorities for the American people. Dick Gephardt and I have been very clear as to what our priorities are. We want to fight for the American worker, we will stop trade agreements that send jobs overseas, we'll invest in health care and education again, and we'll raise the federal minimum wage to help working families get ahead. What this administration refuses to acknowledge is that wages have remained stagnant even if there's been positive economic news. Wage growth has remained below inflation. How is this administration fighting for families if they are fighting to send jobs that sustained the middle-class for generations overseas? Dick Gephardt and I are going to fight for those who have been forgotten by this administration and Washington politicians" - Howard Dean

October 25, 2000 - Gramm, Gephardt debate foreign policy in 2nd Presidential Debate

"Our administration has restored cuts to our defenses over the past four years. We've maintained the peace in three fundamental ways. First, we've showed that we are committed to strengthening the American military so our enemies know we are stronger than they are. Secondly, we've strengthened key economic alliances to promote economic strength, which is a primary driver of the peace we've enjoyed. Third, we haven't engaged in the kind of nation building that the previous administration and my opponent engaged in before we took over. The goal of our military is to keep us safe, not to engage in the affairs of foreign countries. In the next four years, I have every intention of continuing these policies. Additionally, I plan on enhancing security at our southern border to stop the flow of illegal immigration by increasing the number of border patrol agents by 30% over the next four years" - Phil Gramm

"The President and I fundamentally agree that we have to invest in our military. I have supported increasing investments in our military. But obviously, trade is an area where I think this administration has gotten it wrong. Many of the trade agreements passed under this administration and previous administrations undermine efforts to strengthen human rights and environmental protections globally. My number one economic and foreign policy priority is to reverse trade agreements that have hurt American workers by sending jobs overseas, but have also hurt our efforts to strengthen human rights in the world. As it relates to this concept of nation building, I won't apologize for supporting humanitarian efforts to help every peaceful man, woman, and child on this planet enjoy the same gifts the President and I enjoy. America must be a leader in protecting people from harm and promoting human rights and environmental protection, and my foreign policy will adhere to these principles" - Dick Gephardt

BushKerry04

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 09:15:24 PM »

November 1, 2000 - Gramm, Gephardt make their final case in final presidential debate

"Four years ago, I promised you that I'd cut taxes, reduce regulations, balance the federal budget, reform welfare, support free trade agreements beneficial to the American worker, and stand up for the dignity of every human life. I'm proud to say that four years later, I've kept all of my promises to the American people. We've seen historic job creation, a reduction in welfare rolls, a reduction in poverty, and record home ownership. By nearly every indication, we are better off today than we were in 1996. A second term will allow us to do even more to grow the economy and strengthen the family. A second term gives us the opportunity to save medicare, medicaid and social security, improve the quality of every public school through charters and choice, secure our border, and begin the long-term process of paying down the national debt without raising taxes. My opponent has proposed higher taxes and new government spending that would burden our children and grandchildren. After supporting $1 trillion in new spending and over 300 tax increases this decade, I have no doubt he'd deliver on his promises. I'm asking you to join me in the fight to defend our conservative values and to continue the job of fighting for less government and more freedom" - Phil Gramm

"You've heard a lot of rhetoric during the course of this campaign, but the reality is both the President and I love this country and want what's best for it. But we have very different records and different agendas for the future. I'm proud to have opposed trade agreements that sent jobs overseas and to have fought for a higher minimum wage and paid medical leave as minority leader of the House of Representatives. I'm running for President to fight for the working men and women of this country who've been ignored by this administration, K Street, and Wall Street for far too long. This President's primary focus has been cutting taxes on the very wealthy and gutting education and job training programs. I'll fight to reverse trade agreements that send American jobs overseas, to invest in health care and education, and to ask the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share of taxes so we can balance the budget and reduce the national debt. This election offers Americans a very clear choice. Do we want to support policies that benefit Wall Street, or do we want to support policies that help working families get ahead in a changing economy? I come from a working class family, my father was a milk man, and I know what it's like to struggle to make ends meet. I'll never forget where I came from as President, and that gives me the energy and passion to fight for you" - Dick Gephardt

November 7, 2000 - President Gramm re-elected; GOP keeps Congress

Popular Vote
Phil Gramm / Elizabeth Dole (R) 54%
Dick Gephardt / Howard Dean (D) 44%
Other 2%

Electoral College
Gramm 310
Gephardt 228

Exit Polls: Conservative base, independents re-elect Gramm; Gephardt does poorly with female voters

By Ideology:
Conservative - Gramm 94% Gephardt 5%
Moderate - Gramm 52% Gephardt 47%
Liberal - Gephardt 88% Gramm 10%

By Political Party:
Republican - Gramm 93% Gephardt 6%
Independent - Gramm 53% Gephardt 46%
Democratic - Gephardt 87% Gramm 12%

By Race:
White - Gramm 60% Gephardt 39%
Hispanic/Latino - Gephardt 60% Gramm 39%
Black - Gephardt 88% Gramm 11%
Asian - Gephardt 50% Gramm 49%
Other - Gephardt 79% Gramm 20%

By gender:
Male - Gramm 59% Gephardt 40%
Female - Gephardt 52% Gramm 46%

By Area:
Rural - Gramm 58% Gephardt 41%
Suburban - Gramm 54% Gephardt 45%
Urban - Gephardt 67% Gramm 32%

By Region:
Northeast - Gephardt 51% Gramm 48%
Midwest - Gramm 50% Gephardt 49%
Rocky Mountains - Gramm 81% Gephardt 18%
South - Gramm 62% Gephardt 37%
Southwest - Gramm 58% Gephardt 41%

By Income:
Under $40K -  Gephardt 62% Gramm 36%
$40K-$60K - Gephardt 55% Gramm 44%
$60K-$85K - Gramm 50% Gephardt 48%
$85K-$150K - Gramm 59% Gephardt 40%
$150K-$500K - Gramm 64% Gephardt 35%
$500K-$1 million - Gramm 72% Gephardt 27%
Above $1 million - Gramm 82% Gephardt 17%

By Most Important Issue:
Economy - Gramm 55% Gephardt 43%
Debt - Gramm 70% Gephardt 29%
National Security - Gramm 51% Gephardt 48%
Crime - Gramm 60% Gephardt 39%
Health Care - Gephardt 62% Gramm 37%
Entitlement Programs - Gephardt 54% Gramm 44%
Education - Gephardt 50% Gramm 49%

Is the U.S. economy better, worse, or the same today than it was in 1996?
Better 55%
Worse 10%
Same 25%

Candidate and running-mate favorability
Phil Gramm - 62% Favorable 29% Unfavorable
Dick Gephardt - 51% Favorable 30% Unfavorable
Elizabeth Dole - 55% Favorable 30% Unfavorable
Howard Dean - 48% Favorable 37% Unfavorable

Candidate/Running-mate home state results
Texas - Gramm 67% Gephardt 32%
North Carolina - Gramm 55% Gephardt 44%
Missouri - Gramm 50% Gephardt 49%
Vermont - Gephardt 62% Gramm 37%

Swing State Results
Colorado - Gramm 53% Gephardt 45%
Ohio - Gramm 52% Gephardt 47%
Florida - Gramm 60% Gephardt 39%
Iowa - Gephardt 49.8% Gramm 49.7%
Nevada - Gramm 53% Gephardt 46%
Pennsylvania - Gramm 50% Gephardt 49%
New Hampshire - Gramm 51% Gephardt 47%
Missouri - Gramm 50% Gephardt 49%
Wisconsin - Gramm 49.7% Gephardt 49.4%
Michigan - Gephardt 49.5% Gramm 49.4%
Virginia - Gramm 55% Gephardt 44%
North Carolina - Gramm 55% Gephardt 44%
Arizona - Gramm 59% Gephardt 40%
New Mexico - Gramm 57% Gephardt 42%
BushKerry04

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »

January 20, 2001 - President Gramm sworn-in for second term

The Gramm Administration
Vice President Elizabeth Dole
Secretary of State John McCain
Secretary of the Treasury Paul Volcker 
Secretary of Defense Collin Powell
Attorney General John S. Herrington
Secretary of the Interior Tommy Thompson
Secretary of Agriculture Bob Dole 
Secretary of Commerce Steve Forbes
Secretary of Labor Alice Walton 
Secretary of Health and Human Services Newt Gingrich   
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Pete Wilson
Secretary of Transportation Douglas Wilder 
Secretary of Energy Frank Murkowski     
Secretary of Education Tom Kean
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Max Cleland   
White House Chief of Staff John Kasich
United States Trade Representative Peter Geren 
Director of National Intelligence Sean O'Keefe
Ambassador to the United Nations John Lehman
Director of the Office of Management and Budget Mark Sanford   
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency William Cohen 
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Zell Miller   
Administrator of the Small Business Administration Steve Case

The leadership of both political parties, January 20, 2001-January 20, 2005

Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-OH)
House Majority Leader J.C. Watts (R-OK)
House Minority Leader Barnie Frank (D-MA)
House Minority Whip Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN)
U.S. Senate Majority Whip Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
U.S. Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD)
U.S. Senate Minority Whip John Kerry (D-MA)
RNC Chair John Sununu
DNC Chair Andrew Cuomo
BushKerry04

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 11:26:17 PM »

Highlights of the Gramm administration, January 20, 2001 - January 1, 2003

BOULDER, CO - Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart became the third Democrat to announce a run for President in 2004. "Right now, the world demands strong American leadership. We will win this war in Afghanistan, but this administration has focused too much on the short-term and not enough on the long-term. We need to promote democracy and human rights in Afghanistan and across the globe. We also have to rebuild America by investing in alternative sources of energy and infrastructure," Hart stated. Hart stayed away from policy specifics for much of his brief press conference, but did commit to leading a global effort to promote free trade and advance human rights.
BushKerry04

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »

May 1, 2003 - Ben Nelson to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

OMAHA, NE - U.S. Senator Ben Nelson announced his candidacy for President of the United States at a campaign rally in Omaha, Nebraska. "If Democrats want to win the white house in 2004, we have to run on a message that resonates with all Americans. I believe that most Americans want a good paying job, decent health insurance, and an affordable college education," Nelson stated. The Former Governor said he'd expand college tuition pell grants, raise the federal minimum wage by $3, and balance the budget by asking wealthier Americans to pay higher taxes.

May 5, 2003 - Strobe Talbott announced presidential bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Former Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbott declared his intention to run for President in 2004. "While America's economy here at home is sound, our foreign policy is in need of change. We are properly conducting the war in Afghanistan, but we are falling short in the effort to build stronger alliances with our allies. I believe that trade and a focus on strengthening NATO is what America needs today," Talbott declared. The diplomat said expanding free trade, combating genocide, and investing in infrastructure would be top priorities of his if elected President.

May 17, 2003 - Jackson Lee running for President

WASHINGTON, DC - Congresswoman Shelia Jackson Lee of Texas declared that she would run for President in the 2004 Democratic primary. "Our progressive values are under assault not only from the GOP, but from the leadership of our party as well. The time for social justice and economic equality is now," the Congresswoman declared. Jackson Lee said she'd fight for universal health care, campaign finance reform, and indexing the minimum wage to inflation if elected President.

June 2, 2003 - Coats to run for President

WASHINGTON, DC - Republican U.S. Senator Dan Coats of Indiana announced that he would run for President in 2004. "Our country needs a President who fights for our conservative values despite what's said in Hollywood or on K Street. I am unapologetic in my belief that we are one nation under God and I will fight for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as President," Coats said. He pledged to fight for traditional marriage, a 15% flat tax, and school vouchers if elected President.

June 15, 2003 - Gephardt launches third presidential bid

IOWA CITY, IA - Former House Minority Leader and 2000 Democratic Presidential Nominee Dick Gephardt launched his third campaign for the white house at a press conference in Iowa. "I've made the decision to once again run for President because the issues I addressed in 2000 and 1988 have only gotten more serious. America needs a champion for working families, and I intend to be that champion" the ex-Congressman from Missouri stated. Gephardt promised to reverse several free trade agreements, expand medicaid, and raise the federal minimum wage.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »

Will Bill Clinton pull a Ulysses Grant and run for the nomination 8 years later?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »

Love this!
BushKerry04

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »

Thank you very much!

Will Bill Clinton pull a Ulysses Grant and run for the nomination 8 years later?

That is possible, you never know......

July 27, 2003 - SURVEY: Democrats have no clear front-runner, Dole and Bush lead the GOP field

"All of us on this stage generally agree on the issues facing our country. We all agree we have to invest in health care, education, and infrastructure. We all agree this administration has spent far too much time looking out for the wealthy at the expense of working families. The question is, who can actually win this election and get things done? In one of the most Republican states in the country, I have won numerous statewide elections. I helped improve the quality of education and when the Republicans sought to underfund medicaid, I made up the difference in my state by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share. In the Senate, I fought for Bill Clinton's agenda of raising the minimum wage, cutting welfare reform, and expanding access to the internet in schools and libraries. I have proven that we Democrats can defend our principles but also win elections and work with others to do what's right. The election in 2004 isn't about ideology as much as it's about experience and results" - Ben Nelson

"I made the decision to enter the race for President because I think we need a career diplomat who understands the world to restore the kind of American foreign policy we need and to confront the many challenges we face on the world stage. Sadly, the politicians on this stage just don't get it. Joe Lieberman supports the same foreign policy as this administration and Gary Hart has made clear he supports nation building. I support this administration's strategy in Afghanistan because we should be protecting our interests there as opposed to nation building. Where I disagree with this administration is in the area of human rights and diplomacy. This administration has failed to properly work with our NATO allies. I want to strengthen NATO not just as a military organization, but as an organization that also fights for human rights, environmental protection, and peace. This administration hasn't done the necessary things to end the genocide in Darfur and open trade relations with Cuba which to be fair, no administration in recent history has done. Many up here tonight talk about who can win this election. The real question is, who can do right by the next generation, and I think I'm that candidate" - Strobe Talbott

"Senator Lieberman and Congressman Gephardt spent years in Washington D.C. They failed to provide health insurance for millions of Americans, they failed to reform our broken campaign finance system that benefits the wealthy and well connected, they failed to stop this administration from gutting the EPA, and Senator Lieberman supported NAFTA and other trade agreements that sent millions of American jobs to China and Mexico. As Democrats, we can and must do better. My record is clear. Every progressive group in America ranks me as the best legislator on this stage. I'm proud to have opposed this administration's judicial appointments, tax cuts for the wealthy, and  their reckless environmental policies that have contributed to global warming. I have made it clear that I am the progressive champion in this race who will index the federal minimum wage to inflation, provide health insurance for every American, and enact public financing of all federal elections to return power to the American people" - Shelia Jackson Lee

"When I ran for President in 2000, I said I'd be a champion for working families. I respect the will of the American people and I congratulated the President when he won that election. But for working Americans, the past four years haven't worked out all that well. Our trade deficits have increased as wages have remained stagnant. The Chinese have manipulated our currency and sold cheap steel as American steel manufacturers have gone out of business, harming thousands of workers. This administration has failed to even consider raising the minimum wage and more Americans are struggling as the cost of health insurance in the poorest states in the nation have outpaced wage growth. We have to end these trade deals that send our jobs overseas, raise the minimum wage, expand medicaid to cover everyone earning less than $50,000 per year, and invest $500 billion in infrastructure over the next four years if we want to compete and win in a global economy. I've spent my entire adult life fighting for the forgotten men and women of this country, and I'll continue to do so as President" - Dick Gephardt

"I began my career in public life marching with Dr. Martin Luther King because I have a belief that all are created equal and endowed by our creator. As Connecticut's Attorney General and in the Senate, I have fought for every American without regard to their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. We live in a very troubled world where too many forget that we are all God's children. What I offer Democrats and all Americans in this election is a fresh perspective, yet extensive experience. I believe the next President must protect the homeland, strengthen the middle-class and working families, exercise fiscal restraint, and protect the most vulnerable in our society. Here is the pledge I make to you. During my first term as President, I intend to send 30,000 more troops into Afghanistan to achieve success, invest $200 billion in human intelligence and increasing the size of the military to keep us safe, reforming the tax code by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share while cutting taxes for working families and closing corporate loopholes, creating new tax credits for research and development as a means to encourage medical research and energy independence, and I will balance the federal budget while still investing in higher education and infrastructure. Leadership is about setting goals and achieving them, and I intend to do just that" - Joe Lieberman

"For eight years, we've had an administration that has tried to dismantle the safety net and unfortunately, they've succeeded. We've had an administration that doesn't believe in economic development, so they've gotten rid of tax credits for job growth in urban and rural communities and they've slashed housing vouchers for the poor by 65%. We've had an administration that has invested in defense contractors even as our troops haven't seen an increase in pay that has exceeded the rate of inflation. It's time for a President who believes in the safety net, economic development, and who prioritizes our troops over campaign contributors. In Maryland, I kept taxes low and balanced the state budget without going into debt or gutting safety net programs. Unfortunately, Senator Lieberman and Congressman Gephardt have joined Republicans in trying to give us a false choice between deficit reduction and the safety net. Congressman Gephardt has voted for the safety net and against balancing the budget, Senator Lieberman has done the opposite. I know we can do both because as a Governor, I did both. We need someone from outside Washington to lead our country" - Paul Glendening

"It's no secret that I have been out of Washington D.C. and in the private sector for a long time now. Being in the private sector has given me the kind of experience that's needed in a President. I understand the business world and the non-profit sector now in a way I didn't when I left Washington 16 years ago. At the same time, my experience in Washington D.C. gives me to policy knowledge necessary in a President. When I was in Washington, both parties worked together and we got things done. We reformed the tax code, reduced unnecessary regulations, and expanded medicaid because both Republicans and Democrats knew that providing more Americans with health insurance was beneficial not only to the American people, but also to the American economy. Today, Washington is broken, and I think my diverse experience prepares me to break past the gridlock to fight for you. I have said that if elected, I would fight for three basic principles during my first term. First, I want to strengthen our alliances with our allies and address key human rights and security issues not being addressed today. Secondly, I want to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy and create millions of new green jobs here at home. Third, I want to invest in our crumbling roads and bridges. I hope you'll join me in the fight to ensure America is more secure around the globe and more prosperous here at home" - Gary Hart 

Edgeofnight
EdgeofNight

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »

Thank you very much!

That is possible, you never know......

July 27, 2003 - SURVEY: Democrats have no clear front-runner, Dole and Bush lead the GOP field

"All of us on this stage generally agree on the issues facing our country. We all agree we have to invest in health care, education, and infrastructure. We all agree this administration has spent far too much time looking out for the wealthy at the expense of working families. The question is, who can actually win this election and get things done? In one of the most Republican states in the country, I have won numerous statewide elections. I helped improve the quality of education and when the Republicans sought to underfund medicaid, I made up the difference in my state by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share. In the Senate, I fought for Bill Clinton's agenda of raising the minimum wage, cutting welfare reform, and expanding access to the internet in schools and libraries. I have proven that we Democrats can defend our principles but also win elections and work with others to do what's right. The election in 2004 isn't about ideology as much as it's about experience and results" - Ben Nelson

"I made the decision to enter the race for President because I think we need a career diplomat who understands the world to restore the kind of American foreign policy we need and to confront the many challenges we face on the world stage. Sadly, the politicians on this stage just don't get it. Joe Lieberman supports the same foreign policy as this administration and Gary Hart has made clear he supports nation building. I support this administration's strategy in Afghanistan because we should be protecting our interests there as opposed to nation building. Where I disagree with this administration is in the area of human rights and diplomacy. This administration has failed to properly work with our NATO allies. I want to strengthen NATO not just as a military organization, but as an organization that also fights for human rights, environmental protection, and peace. This administration hasn't done the necessary things to end the genocide in Darfur and open trade relations with Cuba which to be fair, no administration in recent history has done. Many up here tonight talk about who can win this election. The real question is, who can do right by the next generation, and I think I'm that candidate" - Strobe Talbott

"Senator Lieberman and Congressman Gephardt spent years in Washington D.C. They failed to provide health insurance for millions of Americans, they failed to reform our broken campaign finance system that benefits the wealthy and well connected, they failed to stop this administration from gutting the EPA, and Senator Lieberman supported NAFTA and other trade agreements that sent millions of American jobs to China and Mexico. As Democrats, we can and must do better. My record is clear. Every progressive group in America ranks me as the best legislator on this stage. I'm proud to have opposed this administration's judicial appointments, tax cuts for the wealthy, and  their reckless environmental policies that have contributed to global warming. I have made it clear that I am the progressive champion in this race who will index the federal minimum wage to inflation, provide health insurance for every American, and enact public financing of all federal elections to return power to the American people" - Shelia Jackson Lee

"When I ran for President in 2000, I said I'd be a champion for working families. I respect the will of the American people and I congratulated the President when he won that election. But for working Americans, the past four years haven't worked out all that well. Our trade deficits have increased as wages have remained stagnant. The Chinese have manipulated our currency and sold cheap steel as American steel manufacturers have gone out of business, harming thousands of workers. This administration has failed to even consider raising the minimum wage and more Americans are struggling as the cost of health insurance in the poorest states in the nation have outpaced wage growth. We have to end these trade deals that send our jobs overseas, raise the minimum wage, expand medicaid to cover everyone earning less than $50,000 per year, and invest $500 billion in infrastructure over the next four years if we want to compete and win in a global economy. I've spent my entire adult life fighting for the forgotten men and women of this country, and I'll continue to do so as President" - Dick Gephardt

"I began my career in public life marching with Dr. Martin Luther King because I have a belief that all are created equal and endowed by our creator. As Connecticut's Attorney General and in the Senate, I have fought for every American without regard to their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. We live in a very troubled world where too many forget that we are all God's children. What I offer Democrats and all Americans in this election is a fresh perspective, yet extensive experience. I believe the next President must protect the homeland, strengthen the middle-class and working families, exercise fiscal restraint, and protect the most vulnerable in our society. Here is the pledge I make to you. During my first term as President, I intend to send 30,000 more troops into Afghanistan to achieve success, invest $200 billion in human intelligence and increasing the size of the military to keep us safe, reforming the tax code by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share while cutting taxes for working families and closing corporate loopholes, creating new tax credits for research and development as a means to encourage medical research and energy independence, and I will balance the federal budget while still investing in higher education and infrastructure. Leadership is about setting goals and achieving them, and I intend to do just that" - Joe Lieberman

"For eight years, we've had an administration that has tried to dismantle the safety net and unfortunately, they've succeeded. We've had an administration that doesn't believe in economic development, so they've gotten rid of tax credits for job growth in urban and rural communities and they've slashed housing vouchers for the poor by 65%. We've had an administration that has invested in defense contractors even as our troops haven't seen an increase in pay that has exceeded the rate of inflation. It's time for a President who believes in the safety net, economic development, and who prioritizes our troops over campaign contributors. In Maryland, I kept taxes low and balanced the state budget without going into debt or gutting safety net programs. Unfortunately, Senator Lieberman and Congressman Gephardt have joined Republicans in trying to give us a false choice between deficit reduction and the safety net. Congressman Gephardt has voted for the safety net and against balancing the budget, Senator Lieberman has done the opposite. I know we can do both because as a Governor, I did both. We need someone from outside Washington to lead our country" - Paul Glendening

"It's no secret that I have been out of Washington D.C. and in the private sector for a long time now. Being in the private sector has given me the kind of experience that's needed in a President. I understand the business world and the non-profit sector now in a way I didn't when I left Washington 16 years ago. At the same time, my experience in Washington D.C. gives me to policy knowledge necessary in a President. When I was in Washington, both parties worked together and we got things done. We reformed the tax code, reduced unnecessary regulations, and expanded medicaid because both Republicans and Democrats knew that providing more Americans with health insurance was beneficial not only to the American people, but also to the American economy. Today, Washington is broken, and I think my diverse experience prepares me to break past the gridlock to fight for you. I have said that if elected, I would fight for three basic principles during my first term. First, I want to strengthen our alliances with our allies and address key human rights and security issues not being addressed today. Secondly, I want to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy and create millions of new green jobs here at home. Third, I want to invest in our crumbling roads and bridges. I hope you'll join me in the fight to ensure America is more secure around the globe and more prosperous here at home" - Gary Hart 

One of the most unelectable fields of all time debating about electablity is ironic
BushKerry04

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »

te author=EdgeofNight link=topic=273952.msg5953880#msg5953880 date=1513041513]

Thank you very much!

One of the most unelectable fields of all time debating about electablity is ironic
[/quote]

You never know, one of them might just win!

October 1, 2003 - GOP candidates debate, embrace Gramm

"I'm running for President to continue the policies of the past eight years and to ensure that we build a more prosperous and secure future for ourselves and future generations. I'm proud that President Gramm entrusted me to work hard on issues like social security reform, medicare reform, and welfare reform to help meet obligations and protect the economic security of every American while promoting work and personal responsibility. These principles have guided me throughout my entire life and they'll guide me as President. Our opponents believe in more expensive and more intrusive government, I believe in keeping taxes low, balancing the budget, opening up our markets, and ensuring government doesn't regulate our businesses too much. Americans need an experienced leader ready to confront the challenges we face at home and abroad, and I'm up to that task" - Elizabeth Dole

"As Governor of Texas, I cut taxes, reformed welfare, ended junk lawsuits, and improved our education system by ending social promotion and paying teacher's on merit. Our economy is amongst the strongest in the nation, our public schools are amongst the best improved over the past decade, and welfare rolls have fallen faster than the national average. I'm proud to be running for President on my record and vision for the future, but I will also proudly defend President Gramm's record and that of the Republican Party. I want to not only succeed in Afghanistan by continuing the President's strategy, I want to invest in a stronger military and finish the job of enhancing border security. At the same time, I want to finish the Preisdent's mission of increasing school vouchers for our poorest kids and promoting a culture of life in America. I share this President's views on virtually every issue, and I want to use my experience and principles to finish the mission the President started in January of 1997" - George W. Bush

"All of us on this stage support President Gramm's strategy to succeed in Afghanistan and we all support his economic policies that have helped move people from welfare to work. The question for Republican primary voters is, what are the differences between us that helps each of us stand out? In my case, I think it's my backround and platform. I spent most of my career in the law profession where I enforced the laws of our country and my state. As a Governor, I used my experience to crack down on crime and waste in government. My platform in this campaign is simple. I'll continue the President's foreign and economic policies, I'll crack down on crime by appointing an attorney general who will be mandated with tackling the issue of corruption in Congress, I'll stop the flow of illegal drugs and illegal immigration by securing the border and creating a new task force, and I'll fight for bi-partisan campaign finance reform to get money out of politics in a way that respects the first amendment. The time to change Washington is now, and I'm ready to lead that effort" - Frank Keating

"The next President of the United States must be a conservative as President Gramm has been. I have been a conservative for my entire life, I have a conservative voting record in the United States Senate, and I intend to take a pro-growth, pro-family conservative message to the American people in the election of 2004. When I talk about implementing a 15% flat tax, a human life amendment to the constitution, ending the Department of Education, or replacing welfare with charity, I have a record that shows I'm credible on these issues. I voted with Presidents Reagan and Gramm over 95% of the time. I supported their tax cuts, reductions in regulations, trade policies, and the rebuilding of our military. I also supported this President's ban on partial-birth abortion and have one of the highest rankings from the National Right to Life in the United States Senate. If you believe as I do that we need an unapologetic conservative as the Republican Presidential Nominee, I ask for your vote" - Dan Coats

BushKerry04

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »

November 10, 2003 - T.V. Ads running in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina

WASHINGTON, DC - President Phil Gramm, seventy house Republicans, and twenty-five Senate Republicans including Senate Majority Leader Dick Lugar are all supporting Vice President Elizabeth Dole for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. Dole also has the support of Former Secretary of State John McCain and Former Reagan Adviser Art Laffer. Governor of Texas George W. Bush rolled out endorsements from twelve Republican Governors, including Sonny Perdue of Georgia, George Pataki of New York, Bob Taft of Ohio, Dirk Kempthrone of Idaho, and Arnold Schwarzenegger of California. Bush's brother, Governor of Florida Jeb Bush, is also supporting the Texas Governor along with the entire Texas Republican Congressional delegation except Ron Paul, Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn of Texas, Former President George Bush and wife Barbara, Former Vice President Dan Quayle, and Former Secretary of State James Baker.

BushKerry04

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 12:56:57 AM »

January 19, 2004 - Iowa Caucuses: Bush beats Dole; Hart wins, Nelson defies expectations; Talbott withdrawals

CHARLESTON, SC - Republican Governor of Texas George W. Bush and Democratic Former Colorado Senator Gary Hart won South Carolina's presidential primary as their opponents won victories in other states. Bush defeated Dole 50%-39% as Hart defeated opponent Joe Lieberman 40%-32% in South Carolina. Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating won his home state's GOP primary, defeating Vice President Elizabeth Dole by a 62%-29% margin. Dole defeated Bush in Arizona 55%-41%, Delaware 60%-33%, Missouri 45%-44%, and in New Mexico 50%-41%. Bush defeated Dole 45%-44% in North Dakota's GOP caucuses. On the Democratic side, Lieberman defeated Hart 41%-35% in Arizona, 60%-30% in Delaware, 55%-35% in North Dakota, and 44%-40% in Oklahoma. Hart defeated Lieberman 50%-38% in New Mexico as Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt defeated Lieberman 61%-25% in his home state of Missouri. Exit polling found that on the Republican side, Elizabeth Dole performed exceptionally well with moderates, female and minority voters, those with a college degree, and those who said electability or foreign policy was their top issue. Governor Bush did best with conservatives, those without a college degree, religious voters, and those who said the economy was their top issue. On the Democratic side, Joe Lieberman polled best with moderates, independents, female and minority voters, those with a college degree, the elderly, and those who cited electability or foreign policy as their top concern. Gary Hart polled best with the most liberal voters, those aged 18-34, and those who said the economy or social issues was their biggest concern. Dick Gephardt, who finished third in most contests, polled best with union households and those without a college degree.

BushKerry04

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »

February 5, 2004 - BREAKING: Gephardt concedes defeat, endorses Gary Hart for President

"Across the country, my message is resonating with independents as well as Democrats. I'm a proud social progressive with a proven track record of fighting for equality and to protect a woman's right to choose. For the past 15 years, I've spoken out to strengthen our military and have put forth a specific strategy to help us end the war in Afghanistan with victory. My economic plan cuts taxes for working families and simplifies the tax code, closes corporate tax loopholes to balance the budget, and ensures we protect social security, medicare, and medicaid for this generation and future generations. I think Americans want a President who has fought for certain principles, but who also knows how to work across the aisle. I've demonstrated that ability for 15 years and if there's one thing I can promise the voters, it's that I'll work with anyone in Congress or who the people have elected Governor to get things done for the good of the country" - Joe Lieberman

"Senator Lieberman just said he'd fight to properly fund social security. But what he didn't tell you was that his vote was the deciding vote to slash cost of living adjustments in social security for 3 million Americans. Joe Lieberman stood with this administration to end social security as we know it. I understand the value of working across the aisle and I did that in the 80s, but I don't see any value to denying millions of Americans a benefit they paid for. These changes should only impact future retirees if anyone. I would have fought for a larger increase in the retirement age instead of slashing benefits for millions. We reformed social security in the 1980s and we didn't slash cost of living adjustments, yet we made social security more solvent" - Gary Hart

"Senator Hart keeps telling people that I ended social security as we know it. The truth is, I was one of three Democrats who voted for the bill and I did so because while I disagree with the cost of living adjustment provision in the legislation, the bill was crucial to protecting social security benefits for those on fixed incomes. People who earned below $75,000 before retirement don't see a reduction in their cost of living benefits. But I do think each of us has a different record. I marched with Dr. King, took on polluters and corporate corruption as Connecticut's Attorney General, and fought for stricter environmental regulations, veteran's health care, investing in our military, and judges who have defended a woman's right to choose as a U.S. Senator. Senator Hart doesn't have that record of accomplishment during his time in the Senate" - Joe Lieberman

"I'm honored and humbled that my campaign has attracted the kind of support from young people that it has. I share in the ideals that young people have for a world with greater peace, where we respect human rights, where we have stronger alliances with our allies, and where we respect the environment and create jobs that will help us end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. I have been out of Washington D.C. for many years now, but I want to go back and restore civility to our politics. When I was in the senate, Democrats and Republicans had disagreements, but it was never personal and we got things done. I do believe Senator Lieberman and I share in our concern about a lack of bi-partisanship. The difference is, there are certain things that I am not willing to negotiate. I'm not willing to negotiate away social security benefits like the Senator has. I'll be a President who does work with Congress, but I'll also stand on principle" - Gary Hart

"Democrats have an extraordinary opportunity in this election. We have the ability to move our party and our country forward. The fact that a record number of independents are voting for me in the Democratic Primary is proof of my ability to win the general election. Vice President Dole offers Americans nothing new. She's recycling the same platform the Republicans have used in the past two election cycles. Make no mistake about it, I have supported this administration when they've been right on issues like free trade and saving social security for working families. But I've also stood up to the President when he's gutted environmental protections, made judicial appointments for the purpose of undermining a woman's right to choose, and when he gave a large tax break to the wealthiest Americans. I think my record of fighting for progressive principles but also working across the aisle putting country first and my platform to defend America and help working people get ahead is the kind of combination that can win this November" - Joe Lieberman

"The key to victory this November is building a bi-partisan majority, on that Senator Lieberman and I agree. We have to reach out to Republicans and independents. But we also have to make sure Democrats have a nominee they can be proud of. We have to show stark contrast with Vice President Dole or Governor Bush. Senator Lieberman sides with them on education, social security, same-sex marriage, litigation policy, trade, and labor relations. My vision for America differs from theirs greatly. They support tax breaks for the rich that I oppose, they back denying 3 million Americans a cost of living adjustment in social security that I disagree with, they oppose campaign finance reform that I support, and the list goes on. Democrats have to make the argument that we have the moral authority to lead and I'm ready to bring that message to Americans" - Gary Hart

BushKerry04

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2017, 01:32:36 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2017, 01:35:01 AM by BushKerry04 »

February 10, 2004 - Lieberman sweeps, Dole and Bush split victories

LAS VEGAS, NV - Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman defeated Former Colorado Senator Gary Hart in Democratic primaries in Tennessee and Virginia by double-digits. Exit polls found that once again, Lieberman beat Hart amongst most demographic groups, though the youngest and most liberal voters went for Hart. On the Republican side, Vice President Elizabeth Dole defeated Governor of Texas George W. Bush in Nevada's GOP caucuses and Virginia's Republican primary as Bush narrowly defeated Dole in Tennessee's GOP contest.

February 10, 2004 - BREAKING: Hart concedes defeat, Joe Lieberman becomes Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee

"Tonight, we begin our general election campaign. We will give the American people a stark contrast in this election. As a young man and Connecticut's Attorney General, I fought for civil rights for all and to ensure our justice system ensured fairness. In the Senate, I fought for social justice, fiscal responsibility, economic fairness, and a strong national defense. Our campaign, our movement, isn't about one candidate or one political party, it's about uniting Americans behind a clear agenda for the good of our country's future. Tonight, I ask all Americans to join me in fighting for the agenda we've put forth over the past several months. We'll succeed in Afghanistan and be able to bring our troops home if we acknowledge that we need more troops in Afghanistan for a period of time. We'll grow our economy by cutting taxes for small businesses, investing in research and development, and promoting a new, green economy. We'll help working families get ahead by cutting taxes, raising the federal minimum wage, and investing in job training and health care for the most vulnerable. We'll balance the federal budget by closing corporate tax loopholes and asking the wealthiest 5% of Americans to pay just a little more in taxes. And we'll fight for social justice by defending a woman's right to choose, fighting for pay equity, and appointing judges who believe in equality. Our campaign is about one country, one people, and one vision for America's future" - Sen. Joe Lieberman, Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee

"Early this evening, I spoke with Senator Joe Lieberman and congratulated him on his campaign and offered my concession. This campaign has been an inspiring experience for me because whether or not I won the support of people I've talked to, people gave me their consideration. As Washington is broken, America isn't. I know that Americans need leadership that will fix what's broken with our politics and help us solve problems here at home and abroad. I end this campaign optimistic about the future of our country" - Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart

February 12, 2004 - Republican McCain backs Lieberman

PHOENIX, AZ - Former U.S. Secretary of State John McCain endorsed Joe Lieberman for President in the 2004 presidential race. "I believe in Joe Lieberman's vision to succeed in Afghanistan, invest in our military, and strengthen our alliances with our allies. I believe he has the right experience to lead our country," the Former Republican Senator and Congressman said of the presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee.
BushKerry04

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »

February 17, 2004 - Dole wins Wisconsin GOP primary, Bush withdrawals from Presidential Race

MANCHESTER, NH - Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman returned to New Hampshire to lay out a series of policies he would pursue as President. "For my entire adult life, I have fought for social justice, a stronger economy that's fair, and a strong national defense. I'll use my skills and experiences to work with both parties to put my values, the values of the American people, to work," Lieberman said. Lieberman laid out ten policy proposals he'd pursue in his first term. They are as follows:

1. Tax reform & a balanced federal budget - Lieberman proposes cutting income taxes by 15% for individuals in the bottom three tax brackets and creating a flat 15% tax rate for small and medium-sized businesses who pay the individual tax rate so they can see tax relief. To pay for his tax cuts, Lieberman proposes closing corporate tax loopholes, raising the top income tax rate back to 39% (it was 39% prior to President Gramm's tax cuts), taxing estates beginning at $250,000 instead of $675,000, increasing user fees by 30%, increasing capital gains taxes on gains above $2 million by 10%, increasing taxes on dividends by 10%, and capping the mortgage deduction to $25,000 per year. Lieberman argued that his tax plan was revenue neutral and would enable the federal budget to be balanced.

2. New tax credits for research and development and green energy - Lieberman proposes creating new tax credits towards medical research, technological innovation, and increasing green energy supply. Lieberman's pledges he will invest $100 billion each year into this proposal, which he says is paid for by curbing farm subsidies and re-directing funds collected from federal excise taxes.

3. Equal pay for equal work - Lieberman said he wants a federal law requiring businesses with more than 50 employees to report the payroll of each employee to the Department of Labor every five years and to allow the information to be available to other employees within a given company as a means to ensure women and men are paid the same for doing the same work. Lieberman said under his proposal, an employee can sue their employer for pay inequity in federal court and if found guilty, the employer would have to make up the difference in pay and potentially pay legal fees.

4. Raise the minimum wage - Lieberman says he wants to increase the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.15 over a period of three years.

5. Success in Afghanistan - Lieberman says that he wants to send 30,000 additional combat forces into Afghanistan and work with America's allies to rebuild the country. Lieberman says while he refuses to give a specific date for withdrawal, most military experts agree his plan would ensure U.S. combat forces would be out of Afghanistan by 2009.

6. Invest more in the military and human intelligence - Lieberman said he would double the rate of increase into defense spending from 1.5% to 3% in order to increase the size of the military by 50,000 over eight years and to increase funding for human intelligence gathering. Additionally, Lieberman promised to increase troop pay increases by an additional 1% annually.  

7. Protecting a woman's right to choose - Lieberman pledged he'd appoint judges who will defend Roe Vs. Wade and will appoint an Attorney General who will take on state's who try and undermine a woman's right to choose.

8. Support free trade - Lieberman praised the Gramm administration for expanding free trade and pledged to continue the policy.

9. Reform health care - Lieberman called for bi-partisan reforms to the health care system. He endorsed Republican proposals such as tort reform and allowing people to purchase insurance across state lines. Lieberman also called for expanding medicaid to cover every child in America with health insurance. Lieberman also endorsed adding a prescription drug benefit to medicare, an idea first proposed by Governor of Texas George W. Bush during his bid for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination.

10. Welfare reform - Lieberman endorsed Republican efforts to reform the welfare system by having stricter work requirements.
BushKerry04

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »

May 15, 2004 - In Ohio, Dole puts forth a "100 days plan"

NEW YORK, NY - Former Republican Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani announced that he would support Democrat Joe Lieberman for President in the 2004 election. Giuliani, who had campaigned for President Phil Gramm in 2000, said Lieberman is "what the country needs." The ex-Mayor and former federal prosecutor is personal friends with Lieberman's running-mate, Former Secretary of State John McCain. "Joe Lieberman is a fiscal moderate and social progressive. That's what I really am and I think the country needs moderation over partisanship right now," Giuliani told Fox News.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »

Wow! I wonder if the two parties' bases will revolt in 2008 (assuming the financial crisis occurs the same way it did in real life) after nominating these moderates. Bernie/Feingold '08?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »

Cant wait for it to continue Smiley
BushKerry04

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2017, 09:02:59 PM by BushKerry04 »

Wow! I wonder if the two parties' bases will revolt in 2008 (assuming the financial crisis occurs the same way it did in real life) after nominating these moderates. Bernie/Feingold '08?

Yes, that will be interesting!

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback a lot!

August 7, 2004 - Dole taps Boehner for Vice President

LEBANON, OH - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Elizabeth Dole returned to Lebanon, Ohio to announce that she has selected House Speaker John Boehner as her running-mate in the 2004 presidential election. "John Boehner is from America's heartland and has the values, determination, experience, and integrity to serve as Vice President of the United States," Dole said of her new running-mate. "The path to victory for our party and the path to greatness for our country is by embracing the policies our party has implemented under this administration and continuing those policies for another four years," Boehner stated.

August 15, 2004 - Gore gives DNC keynote address

"Some say that this election is a referendum on the Phil Gramm presidency and as Democrats, it's tempting for us to believe that ourselves and offer Americans an alternative direction. But this election is not about one political party, one candidate, or one President. As Americans, now is our moment to unite behind common purpose and to seek common goals. Joe Lieberman offers all Americans the chance to work together towards a more perfect union. This election isn't so much about the past as it is about our future. Vice President Dole is a good person who has achieved what no other woman in the history of our country has. For that, we must respect her, embrace this moment, and recognize that our country is better for the countless contributions women have made to it's greatness. Where we disagree with Vice President Dole is on issues. Joe Lieberman believes the way to succeed in Afghanistan isn't by going it alone, but by engaging our allies and committing ourselves to victory with a temporary surge in forces. Vice President Dole disagrees. Joe Lieberman believes the way to strengthen working Americans and help create new jobs is by cutting taxes for working people and small businesses while closing corporate tax loopholes that only benefit the very wealthy. Vice President Dole disagrees. Joe Lieberman believes in working with both political parties on issues from energy independence to expanding free trade, Vice President Dole has embraced the partisanship that has for far too long dominated our politics. Joe Lieberman's vision, experience, and leadership capabilities are exactly what we need in our next commander-in-chief" - Former Vice President Al Gore

August 17, 2004 - Former Secretary of State John McCain accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination  

"Let us commit ourselves to serving a purpose greater than ourselves, to ending the partisanship and finger pointing that has for far too long created unnecessary divisions in our political process. Let us inspire young Americans to get involved and serve America in ways big and small. Let me be clear. For my entire adult life, I have been a Republican. I am proud of my record in the United States Senate and serving as Secretary of State. In those positions, I stood my ground and fought for what I believed in and what I felt would best serve America. That is exactly what I intend to do as Vice President of the United States. During his career in the United States Senate, Joe Lieberman worked with members of both political parties to cut taxes for working families, work with our allies to form new free trade agreements, make important reforms to make government more transparent, and to protect our air and water for this generation and the next. Joe Lieberman's agenda for America is clear. We will strengthen our military and succeed in Afghanistan, cut taxes for working families and still balance the budget, and defend the dignity of every American without regard to race, religion, ethnicity, income, gender, or any other distinction. Joe Lieberman is someone I trust to lead our country, he's someone I know is honest, and he's a person with the utmost integrity and someone I'm proud to call a friend. I am honored to have the opportunity to bring a message of unity and hope to strengthen our country" - Former U.S. Secretary of State John McCain, 2004 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee

August 18, 2004 - U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"For my entire adult life, I have fought to give voice to those without one, strengthen working families, protect the future of our country, and defend our homeland. As a young man, I marched with Dr. Martin Luther King because I know as a person from a religious minority, every voice counts in our democracy and in fact, our world. Dr. King inspired me to pursue a lifetime of service to the idea that all are created equal. As Connecticut's Attorney General, I took on corporate polluters, special interests, and defended a woman's right to choose. In the United States Senate, I fought to strengthen our military, cut taxes for working families, implement stricter environmental laws, and I worked with both political parties to pass sweeping social security reform that protects retirees while making social security more solvent for this generation and future generations. At this time of war, in an era where our economy has great potential, and during an era where Americans are seeking leaders with the experience to govern, I believe I offer the American people the chance to put partisan debates behind us and to move forward in unity. In the beginning of this campaign, I put forth a series of principles and proposals I said would guide me as President. These principles and proposals are intended to defend our homeland, bridge the gap between rich and poor, exercise fiscal responsibility, promote long-term economic growth, and promote social equality. It starts with cutting taxes for working families and balancing the federal budget by closing corporate tax loopholes and asking the wealthy to pay their fair share. It continues with investing in tax credits that credit jobs in research and development and in green technologies to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. We'll fight for pay equity because women deserve to earn what men do when both perform the same job. We'll protect a woman's right to choose, raise the minimum wage, work with both parties to reform our health care system and expand access for the most vulnerable in our society, and we'll continue this administration's expansion of free trade to compete in a global economy. I have also promised Americans that I'll accept nothing less than victory in Afghanistan, and I've put forth a plan to help us achieve just that. I'm a Democrat and I'm darn proud of that, but I want to work with both parties and seek the support and prayers of all Americans to do the right thing for all of you" - Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT), Presidential Nominee
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »

What are the polls looking like I imagine Lieberman-McCain are cruising
BushKerry04

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

What are the polls looking like I imagine Lieberman-McCain are cruising

Prior to the convention, Lieberman/McCain led Elizabeth Dole 50%-39% nationally and by comfortable margins in most swing states. I'll report new survey results after the GOP convention.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies