1996: Dole out, Quayle in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:17:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1996: Dole out, Quayle in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: 1996: Dole out, Quayle in  (Read 11976 times)
BushKerry04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2017, 09:58:05 PM »

August 25, 2004 - Governor George W. Bush of Texas gives RNC keynote address

"For decades, we've had a battle of ideas with our Democratic friends. We debated policy, ideology, economics, and about our identity as a people. In 5 of the last 6 presidential elections, Americans embraced our party and rejected liberalism. Our party won it's first Congressional majority in a generation just a decade ago. Now, Americans are once again asked the question, who will best serve America for the next four years? Make no mistake about it, this is a historic election. It's a great moment in our history when the two major party candidates for President are a woman and a Jewish American. We should embrace this moment and realize that this is the very best of America. This is exactly what our founder's envisioned. But on the issues facing our country, there is a clear choice in this election. Vice President Dole and Speaker Boehner believe in defending the homeland, a government that is limited, markets that are free, and protecting the value of every human life. Our opponents believe in the failed policies of the past. They have new rhetoric, but a recycled vision for America. They believe in big government, the politics of division, and tax & spend economics. It's up to us to make the case that our way is working, and we need to move forward with confidence and pride" - Gov. George W. Bush (R-TX)

August 27, 2004 - House Speaker John Boehner accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

"Today, the American people realize that it's Republican leadership that implemented policies to help grow our economy. It's a Republican President who's helping us succeed in Afghanistan. It's conservative judges who are defending the constitution. It's a Republican Congress that passed meaningful entitlement reform to preserve and protect our retirees. Our record is clear. 21 million new jobs, the lowest unemployment in a generation, the least amount of poverty in 40 years, 7 balanced budgets, the lowest rate of taxation in history, declining welfare rolls, and the lowest level of urban crime in history. This is what America voted for, and this is what we delivered on. Vice President Dole and I believe we need to continue the policies of the past four years and build an even brighter future for our country. But Senator Joe Lieberman has a very different view. Senator Lieberman is telling Americans he wants to balance the budget, but he's opposed three balanced budgets. Senator Lieberman claims he wants to cut taxes for working families, but he backed the largest tax increase in American history. Senator Lieberman says he opposes socialized medicine, but voted for a government takeover of health care. Senator Lieberman has told you that he's tough on illegal immigration, yet Joe Lieberman supported amnesty for those here illegally. Joe Lieberman is no moderate, and his record proves it. We need leaders who say what they mean, and mean what they say" - House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 28, 2004 - Vice President Elizabeth Dole accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"I accept your nomination proud of this historic moment for women across the world. Today, another goal for women has been achieved, proving once again that the American dream is alive and well. But we knew this moment was inevitable. Eight years ago, the President of the United States made history when he asked me to join him on the Republican ticket. I am honored and humbled to be the second female to be nominated for Vice President on a major party's ticket, and I'm even more humbled to have served as the first female Vice President in history. I'm proud to have had the chance to serve alongside one of history's great Presidents, Phil Gramm. President Gramm's policies have helped us reach a moment of extraordinary prosperity and even more extraordinary potential. Today, millions of Americans have jobs because the President implemented the right policies at the right time. But make no mistake about it, this country still faces enormous challenges. We are a nation at war and we desperately need to win. We still face economic challenges here at home. Our values are being brought into question. Our border, while more secure than it was eight years ago, still isn't completely secure. The good news is, President Gramm have moved us in the right direction. I believe my experience in and out of government qualifies me to get the job done. In my first 100 days in office, I will begin the long-term process of reducing the national debt, protecting our values, and securing victory in Afghanistan. I have made a promise to Americans to continue to balance the federal budget and cap spending increases to the rate of inflation, keep taxes low, reduce the size of the federal workforce by 15% via attrition, increase free trade with our allies in South America and other places, invest more in our infrastructure, crack down on illegal immigration and sanctuary cities, and I will continue this President's strategy in Afghanistan that is working. I'm asking for your support because I believe our country needs a leader who will confront our challenges, embrace our opportunities, and a leader with experience and the record of fighting for President Gramm's domestic and foreign policy agenda" - Vice President Elizabeth Dole, GOP Presidential Nominee

September 5, 2004 - Survey: Gramm approval remains steady, polls mostly unchanged in presidential race

WASHINGTON, DC - President Phil Gramm's approval rating remains steady as Democrat Joe Lieberman leads Republican Elizabeth Dole in the race for President. 60% of Americans approve of President Gramm's job performance, compared with 25% who disapprove. In the race for President, Senator Joe Lieberman leads Vice President Elizabeth Dole 49%-40% nationally, a small change from polling before both of their respective party's conventions. Lieberman also leads Dole in several swing states; he leads Dole 55%-34% in New Hampshire, 50%-38% in both Wisconsin and Michigan, 48%-43% in Florida and Arizona, 47%-42% in Pennsylvania, 51%-37% in New Mexico, 49%-43% in Nevada, 47%-45% in Iowa, and 46%-45% in Colorado. The candidates are both tied in Ohio and Virginia. In a surprise for most observers, Lieberman even leads Dole by a margin of 45%-44% in Dole's home state of North Carolina.

October 1, 2004 - TV ads on the air

"Country"
NARRATOR: In the Senate, Joe Lieberman's been called "the ultimate centrist", "a maverick", and "a rare leader who puts country before party." Lieberman took on corporate polluters, worked across the aisle to protect social security, and voted for President Gramm's education reform plan. Lieberman's plan for America: cut taxes for working families, close corporate loopholes to balance the budget, protect a woman's right to choose, and Joe Lieberman has a plan to end the war in Afghanistan in victory.
JOE LIEBERMAN: I'm Joe Lieberman and I approved this message because America needs a leader who puts country before party.

"Experience"
NARRATOR: Elizabeth Dole has spent her entire adult life fighting to knock down barriers. Attorney. Cabinet Secretary. a non-profit leader. The first female Vice President of the United States. Elizabeth Dole understands what leadership and being a pioneer really means. 
ELIZABETH DOLE: Our country has tremendous opportunities ahead, but we need the right kind of leadership for America to reach it's full potential. I'm confident my experience in and out of government will be an asset for the American people. I'm ready to lead our country on day one. I'm Elizabeth Dole, and I approved this message.

"Takeover"
NARRATOR: Joe Lieberman claims he wants to reform health care by ending junk lawsuits and embracing bi-partisan solutions. But Lieberman's record tells a different story. When liberals proposed a massive, government takeover of health care in 1993, Lieberman voted yes. Lieberman voted for a $38 billion entitlement program that would have put bureaucrats in between a patient and their doctors. There's what Lieberman says, then there's what he does. Joe Lieberman. Not a moderate.
ELIZABETH DOLE: I'm Elizabeth Dole and I approved this message.

"Maverick"
RUDY GIULIANI: I'm Rudy Giuliani, Former Mayor of New York City. I'm a Republican, but in this election I'm supporting Joe Lieberman for President. Joe Lieberman understands the world we live in and has been a leader in the fight for a stronger military, more free trade, and against the United Nations bullying our ally Israel. Joe Lieberman is a maverick who will work with both parties to cut taxes, improve our infrastructure, and exercise fiscal discipline. Joe Lieberman will always put country before political party, and that's why he has my support.
JOE LIEBERMAN: I'm Joe Lieberman, and I approved this message.

"Unite"
JOE LIEBERMAN: (DNC convention speech): I'm running for President to unite Americans, fight for what's right, and do what I say I'm going to do. I'm running to defend our homeland and succeed in Afghanistan, grow the middle class and those struggling to achieve the American dream, and I'm running for President to fight for social justice because everyone deserves a fair chance in our country. I'm not your traditional Democrat, I'm not someone who's going to tell you what you want to hear, I'm a proud Democrat who will work with anyone to do what's right for the American people. As a young man, I marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As Connecticut's Attorney General, I took on corporate pollution and defended a woman's right to choose. In the United States Senate, I worked to preserve social security, improve our education system, protect our environment, and place sanctions on our enemies. I know how to be tough, but I also am compassionate. I'm ready to lead our country towards a brighter future for ourselves and future generations. Together, let's work to unite this country.
JOE LIEBERMAN: I'm Joe Lieberman, and I approved this message.

BushKerry04

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »

October 7, 2004 - In first presidential debate, Lieberman touts 10-point plan as Dole defends Gramm record

PHILADELPHIA, PA - In their first presidential debate on domestic issues, Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman focused much of his attention on the 10-point plan he laid out during the spring as Republican opponent Elizabeth Dole focused much of her attention on ensuring Americans she'd continue the policies of the Gramm administration. Lieberman said his top three domestic policy priorities would be tax reform, balancing the federal budget, and defending a woman's right to choose. For her part, Dole said the election in 2004 was a "referendum on President Gramm." Dole said like Gramm, she'd fight to balance the budget, increase free trade, and keep taxes low. The debate was generally civil, though Dole did attack Lieberman for his support of a 1993 universal health care proposal she said amounted to "socialized medicine" and Lieberman criticized Dole for "lacking specifics" on policy. Most political analysts agree Lieberman tried to appeal to centrist voters and Dole sought to benefit from President Phil Gramm's popularity. Polling after the debate found that Lieberman performed better, with 47% saying he won the debate compared with 45% who said the same of Dole.

October 15, 2004 - McCain touts bi-partisanship, Boehner defends complete Republican government in Vice Presidential Debate

ST. LOUIS, MO - Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee John McCain and Republican opponent John Boehner participated in the only vice presidential debate of the 2004 campaign season. McCain, a former Republican who served as Secretary of State from 1997-2001, said the Lieberman/McCain ticket "offers Americans a historic chance to make partisanship a thing of the past" as Boehner, an Ohio Representative and Speaker of the House, argued that "Republican government is working to defend our country and ensuring our economy can grow." For McCain, a moment of challenge came when moderator Tom Brokaw asked how Americans could expect him and Lieberman to work together considering each were initially from different political parties and held some very different views. McCain won a round of applause from the audience by answering that he would support Lieberman's decisions, but that "yes men" only create greater divisions in America. While both candidates fundamentally agreed on most foreign policy questions, they differed greatly on domestic issues. McCain defended his support for campaign finance reform and bi-partisan immigration reform as Speaker Boehner said Lieberman and McCain were out of touch with Americans on those issues. According to polling conducted after the debate, most Americans believed McCain won by a 55%-35% margin.

October 20, 2004 - Survey: Lieberman leads, Dole starts to close gap; Gramm approval remains steady at 60%

WASHINGTON, DC - A new USA Today poll finds Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman leads GOP opponent Elizabeth Dole, 47%-42% nationally, a change from Lieberman's 11-point lead just weeks earlier. Lieberman still leads Dole in some swing states, but the race is tightening. Lieberman leads Dole by 49%-40% in New Hampshire, 48%-41% in New Mexico, 47%-43% in both Wisconsin and Michigan, 46%-44% in Pennsylvania, 47%-44% in Florida and Nevada, 47%-45% in Colorado, and 47%-44% in Arizona. Dole leads Lieberman 47%-42% in Ohio and 46%-45% in North Carolina. The two candidates are tied at 45% in Ohio. The survey also found that President Phil Gramm maintains a 60% approval rating, with just 32% of Americans disapproving of his job performance.

October 25, 2004 - Few disagreements in Presidential Debate on foreign policy

MONTCLAIR, NJ - Presidential hopefuls Vice President Elizabeth Dole and Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman debated foreign policy issues, where both candidates generally agreed on the future of U.S. foreign policy. Both voiced support for increasing the size of the U.S. military, enhanced border security, free trade, and continuing sanctions on several middle-eastern nations. The two disagreed, however, on the War in Afghanistan, with Lieberman arguing for 30,000 additional ground troops and an effort to have greater NATO involvement in the region, while Dole defended President Gramm's strategy. Polling found that 45% of Americans felt Lieberman won the debate, with 42% saying the same of Dole.

October 30, 2004 - Lieberman, Dole make their case in final presidential debate

"During the course of this campaign, I've had the privilege to rediscover America. I've talked with people across this country from different backrounds and with different hopes and dreams for their future and the future of our country. During this campaign, I have never lost sight of why I'm running for President and why I entered public service in the first place. I believe in the American dream and all that is possible with what comes with that dream. We are the greatest nation on the face of the planet, and we must never stop trying to be the best we can be. I marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, who inspired me to fight for what's right and defend the dignity of every individual. As Connecticut's Attorney General, I fought to protect a woman's right to choose and to take on corporate polluters because it was the right thing to do and consistent with our laws. In the United States Senate, I fought for stricter environmental protections, to invest more in our national security, and I worked across party lines to help President Gramm pass historic social security reform to help us meet our obligations to our senior citizens without burdening future generations with more debt. I'm a proud Democrat, but I've never put my party before my state or country. As President, I will always put our country first. I will lead us to victory in Afghanistan, cut taxes for working Americans, close corporate loopholes to balance the budget, create new jobs in a new green economy and by investing in tax credits for research and development, protect a woman's right to choose, and fight for equal pay for equal work. You can trust me to do these things because I've fought for what's right throughout my career, and that's what I'll do as President" - Joe Lieberman

"Eight years ago, Americans felt uncertain about the future. Our economy was struggling, our military had been neglected, our budget was badly out of balance, and Congress wasn't working for the American people. President Phil Gramm gave me the honor to serve as Vice President of the United States during these past eight years and together, we restored hope in America. We implemented policies that have helped create millions of jobs, balance the federal budget, and reduce the number of Americans on welfare. At the same time, we rebuilt our military and were prepared for victory in Afghanistan. Today, Americans are working, optimistic about the future, and ready to achieve more greatness. We are succeeding in Afghanistan, and I will accept nothing less than victory as commander-in-chief. As I stated during the first debate, this election really is a referendum on the past eight years. If you support keeping taxes low, keeping regulations under control, a secure border, a strong military, and conservative judges who believe in the constitution, then I'm your best bet in this election. If, on the other hand, you believe in going back to the days of large tax increases, deficit spending, and proposals to socialize our health care system, then Senator Lieberman is your best bet. I also want to say one more thing. Regardless of the outcome of this election, I am honored to have been a pioneer for future generations of women in America. The fact that Senator Lieberman and I are on this stage tonight is historic in of itself. But I ask for your vote not because I'm a woman, but because I will continue the policies of this administration to ensure we are safe and prosperous" - Elizabeth Dole
BushKerry04

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2017, 09:39:56 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2017, 09:41:59 PM by BushKerry04 »

November 2, 2004 - Joe Lieberman elected President, GOP maintains control of Congress

Popular Vote
Joe Lieberman / John McCain (D) 52%
Elizabeth Dole / John Boehner (R) 47%

Electoral College
Lieberman 291
Dole 247

Exit Polls: Lieberman wins with strong support from non-whites, closes gap with suburban voters

By Ideology:
Conservative - Dole 87% Lieberman 12%
Moderate - Lieberman 53% Dole 46%
Liberal - Lieberman 88% Dole 11%

By Political Party:
Republican - Dole 89% Lieberman 10%
Independent - Lieberman 51% Dole 48%
Democratic - Lieberman 90% Dole 9%

By Race:
White - Dole 58% Lieberman 41%
Hispanic/Latino - Lieberman 62% Dole 37%
Black - Lieberman 96% Dole 3%
Asian - Lieberman 60% Dole 39%
Other - Lieberman 88% Dole 11%

By gender:
Male - Dole 53% Lieberman 46%
Female - Lieberman 50% Dole 49%

By Area:
Rural - Dole 57% Lieberman 42%
Suburban - Dole 51% Lieberman 48%
Urban - Lieberman 72% Dole 17%

By Region:
Northeast - Lieberman 60% Dole 39%
Midwest - Lieberman 50% Dole 49%
Rocky Mountains - Dole 79% Lieberman 20%
South - Dole 56% Lieberman 43%
Southwest - Lieberman 51% Dole 48%

By Income:
Under $40K - Lieberman 59% Dole 40%
$40K-$60K - Lieberman 59% Dole 40%
$60K-$85K - Lieberman 52% Dole 47%
$85K-$150K - Dole 54% Lieberman 45%
$150K-$500K - Dole 63% Lieberman 36%
$500K-$1 million - Dole 72% Lieberman 27%
Above $1 million - Dole 80% Lieberman 19%

By Most Important Issue:
Economy - Lieberman 55% Dole 44%
Debt - Dole 53% Lieberman 46%
National Security - Dole 53% Lieberman 46%
Health Care - Lieberman 55% Dole 44%
Illegal immigration - Dole 67% Lieberman 32%
Entitlement Programs - Lieberman 52% Dole 47%
Education - Lieberman 61% Dole 38%

Is the U.S. economy better, worse, or the same today than it was in 2000?
Better 62%
Worse 8%
Same 25%

President Gramm approval
Approve: 61%
Disapprove: 30%

Candidate and running-mate favorability
Joe Lieberman - 55% Favorable, 39% Unfavorable
Elizabeth Dole - 55% Favorable, 41% Unfavorable
John McCain - 70% Favorable, 19% Unfavorable
John Boehner - 48% Favorable, 42% Unfavorable

Candidate/Running-mate home state results
Connecticut - Lieberman 65% Dole 34%
North Carolina - Dole 55% Lieberman 44%
Ohio - Dole 51% Lieberman 48%
Arizona - Lieberman 53% Dole 46%

Swing State Results
Colorado - Dole 51% Lieberman 48%
Ohio - Dole 53% Lieberman 46%
Florida - Lieberman 50% Dole 49%
Iowa - Dole 49.8% Lieberman 49.7%
Nevada - Dole 50% Lieberman 49%
Pennsylvania - Lieberman 55% Dole 44%
New Hampshire - Lieberman 60% Dole 39%
Wisconsin - Lieberman 57% Dole 42%
Michigan - Lieberman 55% Dole 44%
Virginia - Dole 52% Lieberman 47%
North Carolina - Dole 55% Lieberman 44%
Arizona - Lieberman 53% Dole 46%
New Mexico - Lieberman 55% Dole 44%

January 20, 2005 - President Joe Lieberman sworn-in as America's President

The Lieberman Administration
Vice President John McCain
Secretary of State Wesley Clark  
Secretary of the Treasury Chris Dodd    
Secretary of Defense Tommy Franks  
Attorney General Rudy Giuliani  
Secretary of the Interior Bob Kerrey  
Secretary of Agriculture Jim Doyle
Secretary of Commerce Chuck Robbins
Secretary of Labor Hillary Clinton  
Secretary of Health and Human Services Howard Dean
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Jim Weichert  
Secretary of Transportation Rodney E. Slater  
Secretary of Energy Kay Bailey Hutchison  
Secretary of Education Tom Kean Sr.
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert M. Walker    
White House Chief of Staff Barbara B. Kennelly  
United States Trade Representative Jon Huntsman Jr.  
Director of National Intelligence George Tenet  
Ambassador to the United Nations Strobe Talbott  
Director of the Office of Management and Budget Douglas Wilder  
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Bill Richardson  
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Bill Bradley    
Administrator of the Small Business Administration Robert B. Harrison  
BushKerry04

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »

January 20, 2005 - Meet the leaders of both political parties

House Speaker John Boehner
House Majority Leader Mike Simpson  
House Majority Whip Marsha Blackburn
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi
House Minority Whip Shelia Jackson Lee
Senate Majority Leader Dick Lugar
Senate Majority Whip Bill Frist  
Senate Minority Leader Dick Durbin
Senate Minority Whip Russ Feingold
RNC Chairman J.C. Watts  
DNC Chairman Donna Brazile  

Highlights of the Lieberman administration, January 20, 2005 - January 1, 2007

March 1, 2005 - President Lieberman commits 30,000 additional forces to Afghanistan, calls for greater NATO involvement: President Joe Lieberman announced that he would send 30,000 additional combat forces and encourage NATO to help in the rebuilding of Afghanistan after the U.S. toppled it's government.
May 17, 2005 - President Lieberman announces balanced budget, debt reduction plan: President Joe Lieberman announced a plan to balance the federal budget and reduce the national debt by $2 trillion over eight years. The plan reduces the rate of growth for 60% of federal spending to inflation, minus 1.5% and freezes federal spending on non-mandatory, non-defense items for two years. Additionally, Lieberman's proposal scales back funding for agricultural subsidies and NASA.
July 15, 2005 - Lieberman signs compromise tax reform bill into law: President Joe Lieberman signed into law a bi-partisan tax reform measure that closes several corporate tax loopholes and reduces income taxes by 15% for those earning below $250,000 per year. The President and House Speaker John Boehner pushed for the measure after Republicans rejected Lieberman's initial tax reform proposal that would have hiked the top individual tax rate by 15%. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office says the new legislation is revenue neutral.
October 7, 2005 - President Lieberman signs the "New Economy Tax Credit Act of 2005" into law: President Joe Lieberman signed into law $150 billion worth of tax credits for medical and technological research and development and grants to help with the research and development of alternative sources of energy, fulfilling a key campaign promise. The legislation passed the U.S. Senate by a vote of 77-23 and the House by a vote of 300-135.
January 15, 2006 - President Lieberman announces U.S. plan to combat global warming, calls for international cap and trade system: President Joe Lieberman announced that his EPA would "actively pursue policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions" by increasing automobile fuel efficiency standards and increasing regulations over chemicals allowed to be used in manufacturing and farming. Lieberman also called for an international cap and trade system. Republicans responded by arguing Lieberman was "destroying the U.S. economy."
May 5, 2006 - President Lieberman signs GOP legislation reforming welfare: President Joe Lieberman signed into law legislation written by House Republican Paul Ryan of Wisconsin and Senate Republican Chuck Grassley of Iowa that establishes stricter requirements for Americans to receive federal welfare benefits. The new law reduces the amount of time Americans are allowed to receive such benefits by 25%, requires states to establish firm requirements that force recipients to prove they are either working part-time or looking for work, and doubles fines related to welfare fraud. The legislation passed the U.S. Senate by a vote of 70-30 and the House of Representatives by a vote of 390-45. All the NAY votes were Democrats.
August 1, 2006 - President Lieberman signs the Equal Pay For Equal Work Act into law with all Democrats, some Republicans on board: President Joe Lieberman signed legislation making it a federal crime to deny women and minorities the same pay for performing the same work as their male and white counterparts. 45 Senate Democrats and 12 Senate Republicans joined 202 House Democrats and 50 House Republicans in voting for the legislation, which was championed by the President and championed by House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Blanche Lincoln.
November 7, 2006 - Democrats make gains, GOP maintains control of Congress in mid-term elections: Despite Democrats defeating 12 GOP Congressional incumbents and GOP Senate incumbents Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, Conrad Burns of Montana, and George Allen of Virginia, the Republican Party maintained it's control of both houses of Congress.

January 15, 2007 - DeWine to seek GOP Presidential Nomination

LEBANON, OH - U.S. Senator Mike DeWine of Ohio announced that he would seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in the 2008 presidential race. "The American deserve a contrast in this election, and I intend to give it to them. Americans are tired of an administration that tells them what kind of car to drive, what kind of light bulb to buy, what kind of industries to invest in, and what kind of lifestyle to live," DeWine stated. DeWine pledged to reverse the Lieberman administration's environmental policies, return power to states, and reverse several trade agreements the administration implemented.

March 5, 2007 - Johnson to seek Republican Presidential Nomination

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson announced he would run for President in the 2008 GOP primaries. "Liberty, peace, and prosperity is what America needs now, and this administration has failed to get us there. It's time to stop nation building, stop the military industrial complex, and stop excessive spending here at home," Johnson said. Johnson promised to end the war in Afghanistan, abolish the federal income tax, and eliminate all unconstitutional mandates if elected President.

April 17, 2007 - Bush launches second presidential bid

MIDLAND, TX - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush announced his intention to once again seek the Republican nomination for President. "America needs a compassionate conservative with a record of results to lead our country during a time of war and uncertainty about the future," Bush told supporters in his hometown of Midland, Texas. Bush called for success in Afghanistan, a prescription drug benefit for medicare, a 15% across-the-board income tax cut, and an overhaul of federal education policy.
BushKerry04

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »

April 17, 2007 - Gingrich launches presidential campaign

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Secretary of Health and Human Services Newt Gingrich announced his candidate for the 2008 Republican Presidential Nomination at an event in Iowa City, Iowa. "Today, I'm announcing that I'm running for President to tackle complex issues that we've been ignoring for far too long," Gingrich stated. Gingrich said he'd fight for health care reform, energy independence, and an overhaul of the nation's immigration system if elected President.

May 15, 2007 - Watts seeking GOP Presidential Nomination

Eufaula, OK - Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts announced that he would be a candidate for President in 2008. "The path to the white house for the Republican Party is not to moderate or move to the center. It's to embrace our conservative values and the policies of the last administration," Watts said. Watts called for a 15% flat tax, the appointment of conservative judges, and a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. constitution.

June 1, 2007 - Tom Ridge to seek Republican Presidential Nomination

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Former Governor of Pennsylvania Tom Ridge declared his intention to run for President in 2008. "I want to offer Americans strong, new leadership dedicated to finding common ground on some crucial issues," Ridge told supporters in Philadelphia, PA. Ridge called for greater state's rights, an end to corporate welfare, and sweeping education reform.

June 10, 2007 - Boehner enters race for President

WASHINGTON, DC - House Speaker John Boehner announced that he would run for President in 2008. "I'm running for President because I want to help ensure Republicans are able to live up to the campaign promises we made the American people in 2006," Boehner said. Boehner called for ethics reform, fewer regulations, a cap on federal spending, and voiced support for bi-partisan efforts to increase defense spending.

July 27, 2007 - Survey: 3-way race for GOP nomination nationally, in early states; Bush strongest in hypothetical race with Lieberman; Lieberman approval steady

WASHINGTON, DC - An NBC/WSJ survey reveals that Former Texas Governor George W. Bush, House Speaker John Boehner, and Former Health and Human Services Secretary Newt Gingrich are in a three-way race for the 2008 Republican Presidential Nomination, both nationally and in early primary states. The poll revealed that nationally, Boehner polls at 20 percent, closely followed by Bush and Gingrich at 18 percent each. Former Oklahoma Congressman J.C. Watts is the only other candidate to poll in double-digits at 10 percent. Boehner also has an advantage over Bush and Gingrich in Iowa and New Hampshire; he leads Bush 21%-19% in Iowa, with Gingrich at 15%, and he leads both candidates in New Hampshire with 23% as both Bush and Gingrich poll at 18%. Again, Watts polls at 10% in both states. In South Carolina, Bush leads the GOP field; he garners support from 27% of GOP primary voters, compared with 18% for Gingrich, 16% for Boehner, and 12% for Watts. The poll also finds that Bush does best against President Joe Lieberman, though Lieberman polls ahead of all the GOP candidates. In a hypothetical race, Lieberman would defeat Bush 47%-44%, Watts 47%-42%, Former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge 47%-40%, Gingrich 48%-40%, Boehner 49%-40%, and Ohio Senator Mike DeWine 50%-38%. The survey also revealed that 52% of Americans approve of President Lieberman's job performance, compared with 31% who disapprove.

August 15, 2007 - Boehner wins Ames, IA straw poll, Watts tops Gingrich in suprise

AMES, IA - House Speaker John Boehner won the Ames, Iowa straw poll of grassroots Republicans. Boehner won 35% of the votes cast, ahead of Former Governor George W. Bush, who won 25%. The big surprise of the event was that Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts placed third with 17%, ahead of Former Secretary of Health and Human Services Newt Gingrich, who garnered just 8% of the votes cast.

August 25, 2007 - Former Gramm cabinet members divided over GOP candidates, back different hopefuls

WASHINGTON, DC - Alumni of Former President Phil Gramm's administrations have decided to support different candidates for the 2008 GOP Presidential Nomination. Former Secretary of Commerce Steve Forbes, Former Secretary of Energy Dick Armey, and Former Secretary of Agriculture Terry Branstad, also a Former Governor of Iowa, have all thrown their support behind George W. Bush, who also enjoys the support of his brother, Former Education Secretary Jeb Bush. Both Former EPA Administrator Zell Miller and Former OMB Director John Kasich have backed Newt Gingrich, as House Speaker John Boehner enjoys the support of Former Vice President Elizabeth Dole, whom he ran for Vice President with in the 2004 election. Several of the ex-President's staffers and closest advisers, including Former White House Chief of Staff Steve Merill and Former Secretary of Treasury Paul Volker, surprised many pundits by backing Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts. Gramm's 1996 campaign treasurer and campaign manager are now helping Watts, though it's Bush who enjoys the most support from the majority of Gramm's 1996 and 2000 teams. The Former President himself has remained neutral in the GOP primary thus far, as he has close relationships with Watts, Gingrich, and Bush. While Boehner and Gramm have a decent relationship, sources close to the Former President say Gramm feels Boehner is too moderate.
BushKerry04

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »

September 27, 2007 - GOP candidates debate

"Let me be very clear as to why I'm running for President of the United States. I'm running to bring Ohio common sense to the presidency, I'm running to undo every single one of Joe Lieberman's regulations, and I'm running because as a country we have to preserve those things that make us uniquely American. I have supported this administration when they've gotten it right, particularly on foreign policy. But I have been the most vocal critic of this administration's abuses of the bureaucracy. Today, government does more in terms of regulating our daily lives that any any other time in our nation's history. Many of my competitors up here like to talk about 5-point plans, I'll be very simple and plain spoken. I will reverse every executive order, every bureaucratic directive, and every new regulation passed after January 20, 2005 and I will return power to states and the American people" - Mike DeWine

"Our country was founded on the great idea that people should be allowed to do as they please so long as they don't adversely impact others. Unfortunately, the federal government manipulates our currency too much, taxes too much, borrows and spends too much, regulates too much, and sends our brave soldiers off to fight in foreign wars that don't make us safer far too much. I am the only candidate on this stage who has called for abolishing the IRS and the income tax, a full and complete audit of the Federal Reserve, an end to the federal war on drugs that has cost us over a trillion without results, and I'm the only candidate who has called for an end to this interventionist foreign policy that doesn't serve our country well. We need fiscal responsibility, free markets, and civil liberties in America again. I spent eight years as a Governor where I balanced budgets, cut spending, and cut taxes, but most of my experience is in the private sector. I think we need a President who doesn't believe he or she has all the answers, we need leaders who believe in the greatness of the American people" - Gary Johnson

"As Governor of Texas, I fought for our conservative values and was able to implement a conservative agenda. We reduced taxes, passed one of the broadest welfare system overhauls in American history, ended social promotion and reformed teacher tenure to improve our schools, protect the dignity of every human life, and enacted tort reform that ended junk lawsuits. Today, Texas is a leader in job creation and our schools lead the region. I'm running for President because America needs a compassionate conservative to protect the most vulnerable in our society from the unborn to the senior citizen having difficulty affording their prescription drugs, a President committed to keeping taxes low and government limited, and a commander-in-chief to invest in our military, succeed in Afghanistan, and defeat our enemies. I believe my leadership in Texas prepares me to lead the nation. I believe my conservative agenda for America is the right agenda to ensure peace and even greater prosperity than we enjoy today. If Republicans want to defeat Joe Lieberman, we have to nominate someone with a proven record and a bold vision, and I believe I offer Republicans those qualities." - George W. Bush

"Both here at home and abroad, this country faces challenges that Congress, the President, and even some on this stage have completely ignored. Government regulation has increased the cost of health insurance, the federal bureaucracy isn't adequately addressing problems associated with our education system, we depend way too much on foreign sources of energy, and our tax code is filled with special interest loopholes that don't benefit the American people. During my time as Speaker and as President Gramm's Secretary of Health and Human Services, I fought to solve problems facing everyday Americans. We reduced taxes, balanced budgets, and reformed our welfare system to promote a culture of work and productivity. I want to use my experience, energy, and drive to limit government and make it more efficient. If you go to my website, Newt.org, you'll see detailed proposals about how to solve today's challenges. I'm extraordinarily proud that leaders of both political parties have praised by health care plan, which would allow people to purchase insurance across state lines, help those with preexisting conditions get group health insurance at a cost of 30% less than their premiums today, and we provide tax credits for insurers that reduce the cost of insuring children by 60% or more. It's issues like health care and education that Republicans can win on again, and I intend to do just that" - Newt Gingrich

"I never thought I would enter politics, but I ran for Congress in 1994 because I felt I could use my voice to stop out of control deficit spending and corruption in Washington D.C. I never expected I'd be so passionate about particular policy issues, but something changed for me on January 20, 1997. That's when one of my political heroes, Phil Gramm, became President of the United States. I'm incredibly proud to have helped write and pass President Gramm's agenda. In fact, the National Review wrote that during his years in office, I was President Gramm's strongest ally in the house, where I worked closely with the administration on tax cuts, defending human life, and transforming our education system through school choice. I'm running for President because while some in our party believe the way to defeat Joe Lieberman in 2008 is by moving to the political center, I believe as a party we should embrace the policies of the previous administration. I am an unapologetic conservative and while I do believe there is a time for bi-partisanship, our values are the right values for us to embrace for America's future. That's why I'm fighting for a 15% flat tax, a constitutional balanced budget amendment, conservative judges, and ensuring that our military remains the strongest on the planet. I'm proud of my conservative values, and I believe Republicans need to nominate a conservative to win and govern" - JC Watts

"I don't believe our party can win the election in 2008 if we don't reach out to Democrats and independents. Friends, Joe Lieberman won the election of 2004 because he won over a substantial number of independents who previously supported our party. I have won two statewide elections in arguably the most purple state in America. More importantly, I governed and worked with both political parties on issues such as investing in our infrastructure, controlling government spending, and cracking down on crime. I believe there are areas where we can find common ground with Democrats, yet still accomplish those things that define us as a party. We are a party that believes in limited government, and I have a record of fighting to limit government. I believe many decisions should be returned to the states, but there are things we can do on the federal level to make a real difference in people's lives without growing the size of government. I believe we can invest in infrastructure, crack down on illegal drugs, and raise standards in education without new debt or bigger government. It just takes a leader with real experience and real results" - Tom Ridge

"Republicans won the election of 2006 on a platform of fiscal responsibility and increased transparency within the federal government. When we passed lobbying reform, Joe Lieberman opposed our efforts. When we wanted to pass a constitutional balanced budget amendment earlier this year, Joe Lieberman opposed us. When we wanted to give the President the authority to negotiate a number of trade agreements quickly, the President opposed us. I have come to the conclusion that despite his rhetoric, the President has no intention of working with the Republican majority. The American people deserve government that works for them, and I intend to give it to them as President of the United States. I'll work with Congress to pass comprehensive ethics reform to shed light on money from special interests, reverse every Lieberman-era economic regulation, cap federal spending to inflation, and increase defense spending to the level recommended by the joint chiefs. I believe the American people want a President who gets things done, not a President who gives speeches and makes promises he or she has no intention of keeping. For four years, Joe Lieberman has been campaigning. I'm proud of my record of governance as Speaker and as President, I'll work with Congress to get America moving forward" - John Boehner
BushKerry04

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

October 1, 2007 - President Lieberman officially launches re-election campaign

WASHINGTON, DC - A survey conducted by the Gallup organization shows that Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush enjoys a lead in the race for the GOP presidential nomination, both nationally and in important early voting states. Nationally, Bush leads GOP opponent Newt Gingrich 29%-21%, with House Speaker John Boehner and Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts tied for third with 15% each. This is Bush's strongest lead in any national poll and Boehner's weakest performance. Bush also leads Gingrich in Iowa, 33%-23%, and in New Hampshire, 26%-24%. However, JC Watts has surged in South Carolina polls. Bush leads Watts 31%-25% in the Palmetto State, with Gingrich in a close third with 23%. Much like in his 2004 campaign, Bush enjoys his strongest support amongst the most conservative, religious, and oldest voters. Bush is also strongest in rural communities and amongst those without a college diploma. JC Watts places a strong second to Bush with conservative and female voters and performs well with younger voters. For his part, Newt Gingrich has seen a surge of support amongst moderates and suburban voters, many of whom previously were supporting Mr. Boehner. A majority of Republican voters, 51%, believe Bush is the most electable GOP candidate. However, the poll finds President Joe Lieberman would defeat every Republican if the race for President were held today. Of all the candidates, Bush fares best and Senator Mike DeWine of Ohio fares worst; Lieberman leads Bush 47%-44% and leads DeWine 50%-37%. Former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge trails Lieberman by 4 points, Watts trails by 5, and both Gingrich and Boehner trail the Democratic President by 7 points. Additionally, the poll finds 52% of Americans approve of the President's job performance, with 38% disapproving.

BushKerry04

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2018, 07:39:25 PM by BushKerry04 »

January 3, 2008 - Iowa Causes: Bush wins, Watts defies expectations, DeWine withdrawals

George W. Bush 35%
Newt Gingrich 25%
JC Watts 21%
John Boehner 12%
Gary Johnson 4%
Tom Ridge 1%
Mike DeWine 1%

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush won Iowa's Republican caucuses with exit polls showing Bush with the same strengths he had in his 2004 presidential bid. Bush won votes from conservatives, religious voters, elderly voters, and those without a college diploma. Unlike in his 2004 campaign, Bush also won a plurality of voters with a college degree and tied for first with women. Former Secretary of Health and Human Services Newt Gingrich placed second with support from moderates as Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts claimed a suprise third-place finish after placing second to Bush with the state's most conservative voters. Watts also won a plurality of voters under the age of 40. Ohio Senator Mike DeWine, who's campaign was $700,000 in debt going into the caucuses, ended his campaign after finishing last.

January 5, 2008 - Bush wins Wyoming Caucuses

Cheyenne, WY - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush won Wyoming's GOP presidential caucuses handily, defeating second-place finisher Newt Gingrich 55%-30%.

January 8, 2008 - New Hampshire Primary: Bush wins, Watts and Johnson pull upsets, Boehner suspends campaign

George W. Bush 34%
JC Watts 21%
Gary Johnson 15%
Newt Gingrich 12%
John Boehner 10%
Tom Ridge 8%

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush won New Hampshire's GOP presidential primary thanks to his coalition of conservatives, religious voters, and the elderly. Unlike in past contests, however, Bush also led the GOP field with female voters and moderates. Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts remains Bush's strongest challenger with conservatives, women, and those with a college degree. A majority of independent voters backed Former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson, who placed a surprise third. House Speaker John Boehner announced that he was suspending his presidential campaign following a weak 5th place finish.

January 12, 2008 - Boehner officially withdrawals from presidential race, endorses George W. Bush for President

CHARLESTON, SC - House Speaker John Boehner officially withdrew from the presidential race and endorsed Former Texas Governor George W. Bush for President. "George W. Bush has the ability to win this election and he has capacity to lead our country. Governor Bush is a compassionate conservative who will work with the Republican Congress to keep taxes low, keep spending in check, and to strengthen our military," Boehner said of Bush.

January 14, 2008 - BREAKING: SC Governor, House Republicans endorse Watts ahead of primary

COLUMBIA, SC - Just days ahead of South Carolina's Republican primary, Governor of South Carolina Mark Sanford joined Congresswoman Nikki Haley and Congressman Joe Wilson in endorsing Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts for President in a major victory for Watts. "I served in Congress with JC Watts, and I can tell you he's a leader. When JC Watts says he'll do something, you know he's going to do it," Sanford said of Watts.
BushKerry04

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »

January 15, 2008 - Michigan Primary: Bush wins a close three-way race, Ridge withdrawals
George W. Bush 29%
JC Watts 28%
Newt Gingrich 25%
Gary Johnson 12%
Tom Ridge 5%

DETROIT, MI - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush narrowly won Michigan's GOP Presidential Primary. Unlike in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Wyoming, Bush didn't win particularly strong support from conservatives; he defeated opponent JC Watts 31%-29% with conservatives, though Bush still had solid support from elderly voters and the most religious voters. Watts handily won the female vote, winning 33% of women voters to Bush's 24%. Those without a college degree broke heavily for Bush (35% to Watt's 25%) but Bush, Watts, and Gingrich all fared well with those with a college degree. Bush and Gingrich tied amongst moderate voters. As in New Hampshire, independents gave Gary Johnson a stronger showing than expected, though independents still preferred Mr. Gingrich.

January 19, 2008 - JC Watts wins South Carolina primary, Bush takes Nevada

South Carolina:
JC Watts 37%
George W. Bush 30%
Newt Gingrich 29%

Nevada:
George W. Bush 41%
JC Watts 30%
Newt Gingrich 28%

COLUMBIA, SC - In a stunning upset, Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts won South Carolina's GOP presidential primary, defeating front-runner George W. Bush. Watts had been endorsed by South Carolina's Governor, Mark Sanford, and two House members from the state in recent weeks as most in the GOP's establishment went with George W. Bush months earlier. Exit polls revealed that Watts's victory can be attributed to strong support amongst female voters and suburban voters. Watts defeated George W. Bush 33%-29% with conservatives as well. Moderates were split between Bush and Newt Gingrich. Rural voters went for Bush as Gingrich claimed victory in Columbia, the state's second largest city. Much like earlier contests, the state's most religious voters still backed Governor Bush. Meanwhile, in Nevada, things went as expected as George W. Bush won the state's GOP caucuses.

January 20, 2008 - In first three-way GOP debate, gloves come off

"The voters of South Carolina sent a message to the Republican establishment. The message is clear. As a party, we should embrace conservative values and the policies of the previous administration. I'm incredibly proud of being called President Gramm's strongest ally in Congress. I worked closely with the President to pass the largest tax relief in a generation, the first reform of our welfare system in history, and to ban the practice of partial-birth abortion that defied our values as a people. I'm not running away from conservatism in this campaign. Sadly, my opponents in this primary have a different view. Secretary Gingrich is proposing over $200 billion in taxpayer dollars to subsidize the way people choose to eat and exercise. Secretary Gingrich believes the federal government should be involved in health insurance, I disagree. Similarly, Governor Bush wants to establish a new entitlement program associated with medicare. I think greater competition can lead to reducing the cost of prescription drugs, not the government subsidy the Governor supports. Governor Bush also wants the federal government more involved in education, I say we should eliminate the Department of Education. I'm not running to be Democrat-lite, I'm running to stand up for our conservative values" - JC Watts

"I'm the only candidate on this stage who never spent a day of my career in Washington D.C. I'm not part of the culture of Washington and I'll bring an outsider's perspective to the White House. My friend Congressman Watts has seen the polls, so he's stepped up his attacks. The Congressman has never held an executive position during the course of his adult life. In Texas, I signed the largest tax cuts in state history, we reformed welfare and put in place the nation's strictest work requirements, I appointed justices who aren't judicial activists, and I took on the status-quo in education. When I saw problems, I worked with Republicans and Democrats to solve them. What I see in America today is too many of our kids not learning at grade level, too many seniors in poverty because they can't afford their prescription drugs, too many judges appointed by the President who are judicial activists, and too many in Washington D.C. who are trying to stop investments in our military. I've put forth solutions to all of these challenges and I believe that I have the capacity to be a successful President for the good of the nation. All that I ask for is a chance to keep taxes low, overhaul federal education policy to empower parents and teachers, the chance to appoint strict constructionist judges, and the chance to invest in our military and succeed in Afghanistan" - George W. Bush

"If Republicans are going to win in 2008, we can't ignore the problems people face in their everyday lives. The cost of health insurance, energy prices, and education are issues I discuss often on the campaign trail because these are issues facing everyday Americans. To put things into perspective, the cost of health insurance rose by 8% during the entirety of the Gramm administration. Since this President took office just three years ago, insurance costs are up 14%. This is because the President used the federal bureaucracy to increase mandates on insurers. The ability of insurers to get licensed in each state has become harder, and the cost of insurance has therefore skyrocketed. This administration has also issued Department of Education guidelines that create more obstacles for students in low-income school districts to get a voucher. I want an education system that increases vouchers and raises standards in math and reading. I want to see us move towards a merit-pay system for teachers. As far as energy, this is where Governor Bush and I have a difference of opinion. The Governor supports subsidizing ethanol, I believe we would be better off allowing companies to expense on their taxes any investments into green energy research and implementation" - Newt Gingrich

"Governor Bush and I have very different governing philosophies. In Congress, I supported President Gramm when he cut taxes and balanced the budget. We eliminated a budget deficit and paid down $1.8 trillion in debt. We cut spending and kept the growth of the federal budget to 1.5% below inflation. The size of the federal workforce was reduced by 7%. In Texas, George W. Bush increased his state's debt, increased deficits, and added over 12,000 new state employees to payroll. Governor Bush also placed new mandates on public schools, we increased school choice and returned power to parents and teachers at the federal level. I simply don't believe that the Republican nominee for President should be someone who has a poor record on spending and education" - JC Watts

"Congressman Watts opposed lobbying reform that would have increased transparency. Congressman Watts also accepted campaign funds from Democrat special interests including the teacher's union that opposes school choice. I don't believe Americans need another President who's a Washington insider. What America needs right now is a proven leader with a record of results. I took on the teacher's union and I didn't let the special interests influence me as Governor of Texas" - George W. Bush
MycroftCZ

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:42 PM »

Go Watts!
BushKerry04

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »

January 29, 2008 - Bush wins big in Florida

George W. Bush 50%
JC Watts 25%
Newt Gigrich 24%

TALLAHASSEE, FL - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush won a decisive victory in Florida's Republican primary. Bush's brother, Former Secretary of Education and Florida's Republican Governor who was re-elected in 2006 with 57% of the vote, campaigned across the state for the candidate. Exit polls found Bush won a majority or plurality with every demographic and geographic group.

February 3, 2008 - Bush wins Maine Caucuses

George W. Bush 51%
JC Watts 30%
Newt Hingrich 18%

February 5, 2008 - Super Tuesday: Bush wins 13 contests, Watts takes 7 as Gingrich wins Alabama, home state of Georgia

Alabama - Gingrich 34% Bush 33% Watts 32%
Alaska - Bush 51% Watts 30% Gingrich 18%
Arizona - Bush 44% Watts 30% Gingrich 25%
Arkansas - Bush 40% Watts 39% Gingrich 20%
California - Bush 37% Watts 30% Gingrich 22%
Georgia - Gingrich 48% Bush 30% Watts 21%
Delaware - Bush 39% Watts 30% Gingrich 20%
Connecticut - Bush 40% Watts 37% Gingrich 22%
Colorado - Bush 35% Watts 30% Gingrich 24%
Illinois - Bush 47% Watts 30% Gingrich 22%
Massachusetts - Bush 41% Watts 30% Gingrich 18% 
Minnesota - Watts 50% Bush 32% Gingrich 17%
Missouri - Watts 36% Bush 34% Gingrich 19%
New York - Bush 42% Watts 30% Gingrich 17%
Montana - Watts 37% Bush 30% Gingrich 22%
North Dakota - Watts 36% Bush 30% Gingrich 23%
New Jersey - Bush 37% Watts 30% Gingrich 22%
Oklahoma - Watts 77% Bush 15% Gingrich 7%
Tennessee - Watts 34% Bush 33% Gingrich 32%
Utah - Bush 45% Watts 40% Gingrich 14%
West Virginia - Bush 60% Watts 27% Gingrich 12%

Super Tuesday Exit Polls

By Political Party:
Republican - Bush 42% Watts 30% Gingrich 27%
Independent - Bush 40% Gingrich 35% Watts 25%

By Ideology:
Conservative - Bush 37% Watts 35% Gingrich 17%
Moderate - Bush 44% Watts 28% Gingrich 27%'

By geography:
Rural - Bush 50% Watts 25% Gingrich 24%
Suburban - Bush 43% Watts 35% Gingrich 21%
Urban - Bush 38% Watts 30% Gingrich 21%

By gender:
Male - Bush 42% Watts 30% Gingrich 27%
Female - Bush 37% Watts 37% Gingrich 25%

By education:
High School Diploma - Bush 47% Watts 30% Gingrich 22%
Bachelor's Degree - Bush 41% Watts 35% Gingrich 23%

By age:
18-34 - Watts 51% Bush 30% Gingrich 18%
35-50 - Bush 39% Watts 30% Gingrich 30%
50-65 - Bush 42% Watts 31% Gingrich 26% 
65+-  Bush 50% Watts 32% Gingrich 17%

By most important issue:
Economy/Jobs - Bush 40% Watts 39% Gingrich 20%
National Debt - Watts 55% Bush 30% Gingrich 14%
Foreign Policy - Gingrich 34% Bush 33% Watts 32%
Illegal Immigration - Watts 60% Bush 30% Gingrich 9%
Entitlements - Bush 44% Watts 40% Gingrich 15%
Education - Bush 55% Watts 25% Gingrich 19%
Health Care- Gingrich 47% Bush 30% Watts 22%

Which candidate has the best chance to win in November?
George W. Bush 48%
JC Watts 46%
Newt Gingrich 5%

February 6, 2008 - Gingrich withdrawals from presidential race, endorses George W. Bush for President

ARLINGTON, VA - Former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Newt Gingrich announced that he was ending his campaign for President and endorsing fellow candidate George W. Bush. "My campaign has always been about big ideas to help Americans see the full potential of our greatness. I still believe in the ideas we put forward. But I respect the will of the voters and I've decided to end my campaign for President and endorse Governor George W. Bush for President. I believe all Republicans should unite behind Governor Bush so we can win this fall," Gingrich stated.

BushKerry04

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »

February 9, 2008 - Watts wins Kansas as Bush wins Louisiana, Washington

Kansas Primary - Watts 55% Bush 44%
Louisiana Primary - Bush 51% Watts 48%
Washington Caucuses - Bush 60% Watts 39%

February 12, 2008 - Bush wins Virginia, Maryland primaries

Maryland - Bush 62% Watts 37%
Virginia - Bush 58% Watts 41%

February 19, 2008 - BREAKING: Bush wins Wisconsin, Watts exits presidential race and endorses Bush; Bush become presumptive Republican Presidential nominee

Wisconsin - Bush 62% Watts 37%

"Republicans across America have united behind our campaign because the American people know it's going to take someone from outside Washington D.C. to change the culture of Washington D.C. Our campaign is about offering Americans a compassionate conservative vision for America that stands in stark contrast to the President's vision for bigger and more expensive government. We offer more local control of our public schools and higher standards, not the federal government sending unfunded mandates to local folks. We stand for a prescription drug benefit to help seniors, not mandates that increase the cost of drugs. I've pledged that I won't increase taxes or wasteful spending, the President has not made that pledge during this campaign. These are big differences, and that's what this campaign is about. It's about the future of America" - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee George W. Bush

"While we might not have won the nomination, we certainly won the hearts and minds of Americans across this country. Our conservative message has moved the Republican Party to the right. Governor Bush has given me his word that he will defend the policies of the previous administration and this Republican Congress. Candidates for Congress and the Senate have embraced our pro-family message of lower taxes, free markets, and respect for every human life. I am proud and honored to have been a candidate for the highest office in the land, and I pledge to keep working hard to defend our values. Now, it's time for us to get behind Governor Bush" - J.C. Watts

February 25, 2004 - Survey finds close presidential race, with Lieberman in the lead; Lieberman approval takes slight dip following economic news

WASHINGTON, DC - Following news that the U.S. economy saw it's slowest growth in fifteen years during the final quarter of 2007, President Joe Lieberman's approval rating took a slight dip as his disapproval rating increased. Lieberman's approval rating stands at 47%, as 44% of Americans now disapprove of his job performance. However, Lieberman still leads Bush in the race for President. Nationally, Lieberman leads Bush 45%-43%. The President also leads Bush 46%-44% in Iowa, 45%-44% in Nevada, 46%-43% in Pennsylvania, 46%-42% in New Mexico,  47%-41% in both Michigan and Wisconsin, and  50%-38% in New Hampshire. However, Bush leads Lieberman 48%-44% in Florida, 46%-45% in Colorado, 47%-43% in Virginia, and 49%-42% in North Carolina. Both candidates are tied at 44% in New Hampshire.

March 1, 2008 - Six names emerge as possible Bush running-mates

WASHINGTON, DC - According to multiple sources close to George W. Bush's presidential campaign and the RNC, six names have emerged as possible running-mates for the Former Governor of Texas. Two of Bush's primary opponents, Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts and U.S. Senator Mike DeWine of Ohio have been touted as possible vice presidential candidates. Several party leaders and people in Bush's inner-circle are pushing Watts, telling the candidate that he energies the conservative base and brings female and minority voters the GOP needs to win. DeWine has been discussed because of polling that shows the race between Bush and President Joe Lieberman would be close in Ohio, a state DeWine enjoys a 55% approval rating in. Bush's campaign has also vetted Mel Martinez, Florida's junior United States Senator. Martinez is of Hispanic descent, has legislative experience Bush lacks, and is popular in Florida, the Senator has a 62% approval rating in his state and won re-election with 55% of the vote in 2004 as President Lieberman carried the state. Former White House Chief of Staff and Congressman John Kasich of Ohio has also been vetted by the Bush campaign. Kasich backed Newt Gingrich during the GOP primaries, but announced his support for Bush after Gingrich withdrew from the presidential race. Kasich is well respected and has extensive experience in national policy and politics. Several Republicans have also encouraged Bush to consider selecting Governor of Connecticut Jodi Rell as his running-mate. A moderate, Rell also helps Bush with female voters and independents. Additionally, Rell enjoys a 78% approval rating in Connecticut, compared with the President's 67% approval rating in his home state. Some argue Rell could help Bush carry the state.   
BushKerry04

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »

May 15, 2008 - TV ads running in swing-states

"Bi-partisan"
NARRATOR: The political pundits said it wasn't possible. But newspapers across America agree, President Lieberman put partisanship behind us. Lieberman worked with both parties to move people from welfare to work, championed energy independence, and cut taxes for working families. That's why the New Hampshire Union-Leader called Lieberman "a true independent" and why the conservative Washington Post endorsed his re-election.
JOE LIEBERMAN: I'm Joe Lieberman and I approved this message.

"Change"
GEORGE W. BUSH: In Texas, I've been an agent of change. I cut taxes, reformed welfare, and took on the status-quo in education. Today, Texas is a leader in job growth and our students lead the region in achievement. Washington politicians are a lot of talk, but none are agents of change. I want to be President because I believe we as Americans can do better. Too many of our students are struggling to learn, senior citizens can't get affordable prescription drugs, and too many of our veterans are living under bridges. Join me and together, we'll bring change to Washington D.C. I'm George W. Bush and I approved this message.

"Commander-in-Chief"
JOHN MCCAIN: I've served with Joe Lieberman in the United States Senate and now in the executive branch. Joe Lieberman spent fifteen years learning about the world we live in and fighting for a stronger national defense. As President, Joe Lieberman has been a strong, effective, and decisive commander-in-chief. Our country is helping turn the page in Afghanistan, our military has received a record level of funding for human intelligence, and our allies respect this President and our administration. Today, America is stronger than at any time in our history. President Lieberman is the commander-in-chief America needs, and that's why I hope you'll join me in voting for him this fall.

"Family"
LAURA BUSH: George has always supported me and our girls, and he's always put family first. He's a kind, gentle, and intelligent man with a strong moral compass.
GEORGE H.W. BUSH: I know the pressures of the presidency and I have no doubt in my mind that my son, Governor George W. Bush, would never lose sight of what's important to him as President.
BARBARA BUSH: George was a rebel as a teenager, but I've seen him grow into a mature and honest man and I'm very proud of him.
JEB BUSH: My big brother has always been there for my family and I and I know he'll always be there for America.
GEORGE P. BUSH: My Uncle George cares about every individual he meets and knows how to treat everyone with respect and dignity
BARBARA & JENNA BUSH: We love our Dad, please vote for him for President.
GEORGE W. BUSH: I'm George W. Bush, and I approved this message.

"Balance"
NARRATOR 1: It's a big deal. Joe Lieberman balanced the federal budget every year he's been in office. Lieberman's capped federal spending and promised to veto spending increases not related to defense or the general welfare. Lieberman's fighting to reduce the national debt and hold Congress accountable on spending. A true fiscal conservative. President Joe Lieberman.

July 17, 2008 - BREAKING: It's Watts; Bush taps Former Oklahoma Congressman as running-mate

CLEVELAND, OH - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee George W. Bush announced that Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts would be his running-mate in the 2008 election. "JC Watts brings to the vice presidency integrity, honesty, knowledge, and the ability to fight for our conservative principles with conviction," Bush told an Ohio audience as he introduced Watts.

August 2, 2008 - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi gives DNC keynote address

"Elections are not only about choices, they are about values. As Democrats, we believe in progressive values. We believe in equality, fairness, and justice. But as Americans, we know that our politics need to serve those we agree with and those we disagree with. President Lieberman shares our values. This administration has fought for greater equality, fairness, and justice in our society. But this administration has also worked with both political parties to solve complex problems. Governor Bush led one of the most Republican states in the nation, had a Republican legislature that did whatever he asked of them, and passed partisan legislation that made Texas less equal, less fair, and less just. Those are his values, but they aren't ours. So, our choice is between a President who brings people together or someone without the proper experience doing so. We all know the choice is clear" - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi

August 4, 2008 - Vice President John McCain accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"Four years ago, the future stability of Afghanistan was in question. Today, we are rebuilding a young democracy with the assistance of our NATO allies. Four years ago, we weren't making the necessary investments to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. Today, Americans are more energy independent than ever before. Four years ago, both political parties couldn't agree on how to move more Americans from welfare to work. Today, welfare rolls are at their lowest level in two generations. My fellow Americans, we are better off today than we were four years ago. I'm proud of the work of this administration, and I stand before you here tonight ready to serve our great nation for another four years as Vice President alongside my friend and one of history's great Presidents. Our opponents claim progress has been slow, but the facts tell a very different story. Across this nation, Americans are more confident in the future and ready to embrace the opportunities ahead" - Vice President John McCain, Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee

August 5, 2008 - President Joe Lieberman accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"Four years ago, I made a pledge to the American people. I promised that while I'd always fight for my principles, I'd work with anyone willing to work with me to solve our challenges and ensure every American can reach the American dream. Today, we've proven that the American dream is here and here to stay. Welfare rolls are at a historic low, student test scores are higher than ever before, more women are enrolled in college than at anytime in our history, we've balanced the budget every year and capped federal spending, the pay gap between men and women is at the lowest level in a generation, and we are helping to secure victory in Afghanistan. Our economy is strong, our security has been enhanced, and we are defending the rights of every American. I'm running for re-election because there's more that I want to do, and more we need to do to ensure government works for the American people. So, here's my pledge to you. I'll continue to work with those willing to work with me. I'll work with both parties to restrain federal spending, get dark money out of politics, invest in our military, and ensure more Americans can afford a college education. I'll continue our work to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy, move people from welfare to work, invest in job training, and provide health care for the most vulnerable in our society. Four years ago, I asked you to join me in showing that partisanship can be a thing of the past. I humbly ask you to prove that once again" - President Joe Lieberman, Democratic Presidential Nominee
BushKerry04

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »

August 18, 2008 - Governor Tim Pawlenty (R-MN) delivers RNC keynote address

Four years ago, Joe Lieberman promised the American people he'd be a different kind of Democrat. He told us he'd be transparent, work with both parties so long as they were willing to work with him, and that the country needed to ensure partisanship was a thing of the past. We know today that Lieberman's words were campaign rhetoric that he didn't bother to even attempt to make reality. This administration signed feel-good legislation into law, but they haven't solved the problems facing ordinary Americans. The cost of health insurance, college tuition, and the pay gap between men and women continues to grow. Corruption continues to plaque Washington D.C. Millions of Americans aren't seeing their wages grow, too many of our students are stuck in failing schools, and senior citizens have to choose between food and medicine. In this moment of extraordinary opportunity for many of us, some of us have been left behind. This President hasn't led, it's time for us to do what he has refused to do. It's time for us to work together to solve problems facing ordinary Americans across this great country" - Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R-MN)

August 20, 2008 - Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

"As Republicans, we must stand together united by our conservative principles. We must work between now and election day to convince every American that our party best represents the values that made this nation great. We believe in a strong military, freedom from big government, families that promote morals, and an unwavering faith in the almighty. We believe that individuals make better decisions than the federal government and that the dignity of every human life regardless of socioeconomic status, race, or religion ought to be protected because that's morally right and it's what our constitution was intended to do. During my years in Congress, I fought hard for our conservative values by working to pass President Phil Gramm's economic and social agenda. We cut taxes for everyone, balanced budgets, reduced debt, and moved millions from welfare to work. We cracked down on drug trafficking and illegal immigration, defended human life at all stages, and passed major entitlement reform to preserve these programs for our seniors. Now, Americans face another choice in another election. It's a choice between giving a failed President a second choice or a fresh start for America. George W. Bush and I believe in a strong military, a strong economy, and strong families. We believe in faith, family, and freedom. We have the record and experience to lead and implement a conservative agenda to help all Americans realize the American dream" - Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts, Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 21, 2008 - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"This is our moment to once again prove to the American people that Republicans care about defending our nation, growing our economy, and protecting our values including life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In Texas, I worked with both parties to advance these goals. I signed the largest tax relief in our state's history, the nation's broadest overhaul of welfare, education reform that raised standards and expanded charter and choice, and we appointed pro-life justices who believe in our constitution. Now, I'm running for President to use my compassionate conservative record to change the culture of Washington D.C. I'll work with both parties to reduce this administration's executive regulations, add a medicare prescription drug benefit to help lower the cost of medicine for seniors, overhaul the education system to end social promotion, raise standards, and expand choice, promote a culture of life and justices who believe in a strict interpretation of the constitution, keep taxes low, and ensure that America succeeds in Afghanistan. For four years, this administration has ducked tough challenges, dodged tough questions, and postponed tough decisions. They've given us excuses for their lack of action, and they've promised us they'll do better next time. This administration has not led, and we will. This is not a time for more campaign promises, it's a time for real leadership focused on solving problems for the American people" - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush, Republican Presidential Nominee

August 25, 2008 - Survey: Lieberman approval remains steady, tight presidential race

WASHINGTON, DC - Following the Democratic and Republican national conventions, the race for President remains tight as President Joe Lieberman's approval ratings remain unchanged when compared to polls within the past three months, according to a new CBS survey. Nationally, Republican George W. Bush leads President Joe Lieberman 46%-44% in the race for President. Bush leads Lieberman in Iowa (45%-44%), Florida (49%-44%), Colorado (48%-43%), and North Carolina (46%-42%). Lieberman leads Bush in New Mexico (47%-40%), Michigan (48%-41%), Wisconsin (49%-40%), New Hampshire (51%-38%), Pennsylvania (47%-43%), and Nevada (46%-45%). Both candidates are tied in Ohio and Virginia. President Lieberman's approval rating is at 48%, with 41% disapproving of the President's job performance.   

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 01:06:06 AM »

I support Bush '08 if only because I want Obama 2012.

(great timeline btw)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:06 AM »

Surprised Johnson dropped out so early. Hopefully in 2012 or 2016 we see a badly needed populist rising Wink Great to though! I’m gonna be honest (never thought I’d say this) I’m pulling for Bush so a neoliberal doesn’t get nominated for the Democrats in 2012.
BushKerry04

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »

I support Bush '08 if only because I want Obama 2012.

(great timeline btw)

Interesting, Obama is in the U.S. Senate in this scenario, maybe he does run someday....

Also, thank you for the feedback and your kind words!

Surprised Johnson dropped out so early. Hopefully in 2012 or 2016 we see a badly needed populist rising Wink Great to though! I’m gonna be honest (never thought I’d say this) I’m pulling for Bush so a neoliberal doesn’t get nominated for the Democrats in 2012.

He's no Ron Paul hahaha. Thanks for the feedback!

October 7, 2008 - Lieberman, Bush debate domestic issues in 1st presidential debate

ST. LOUIS, MO - President Joe Lieberman and Republican opponent George W. Bush drew a stark contrast with one another during the first of three presidential debates. Lieberman touted declining welfare rolls, a 42% reduction in urban crime, and increased domestic green energy production as proof his administration has implemented policies that have strengthened the economy. Lieberman accused George W. Bush of proposing to gut environmental regulations and to take away a woman's right to choose. For his part, Bush focused much of his attention on education reform, reducing regulations, and appointing strict constructionist judges. Bush accused Lieberman of contributing to a divisive culture in Washington D.C. and blamed the recent slowdown in job growth on Lieberman's regulatory policies. A scientific poll after the debate found 48% of Americans said Lieberman won the debate, compared with just 39% who said the same of Bush.

October 12, 2008 - McCain, Watts meet for Vice Presidential Debate

SANTA FE, NM - Vice President John McCain and Republican Vice Presidential Nominee JC Watts participated in the only vice presidential debate of the 2008 campaign season. The two men generally agreed on several foreign policy issues, but traded barbs on domestic issues. Watts accused President Joe Lieberman of running as a centrist but governing from the left, pointing to increased environmental regulations, the nomination of pro-choice justices, and more federal educational standards as proof of Lieberman's liberalism. McCain criticized Bush and Watts as overly partisan and opposed to bipartisanship on issues such as campaign finance reform, tax policy, and health care. A poll conducted after the debate found 47% of Americans felt McCain won the debate, compared with 44% who said the same of Watts.

October 21, 2008 - Lieberman, Bush debate foreign policy in 2nd debate

MILWAUKEE, WI - President Joe Lieberman and Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush debated foreign policy issues during their second debate. Both men agreed on the need to increase defense spending, stabilize Afghanistan, and increase free trade. However, the two disagreed on U.S. relations with Cuba; while both men support the current blockade, Lieberman said he'd consider diplomatic talks with Cuba with certain conditions, something Bush was critical of. Lieberman also argued that Bush's "obsession" with increasing sanctions towards Russia was "counterproductive." A scientific poll conducted after the debate found 49% of Americans believe Lieberman won the debate, compared with 32% who said the same of Bush.

October 27, 2008 - Lieberman, Bush make their case in final presidential debate

"Four years ago, I asked you to entrust me with the greatest political office on the face of the planet. For the past four years, you have given me the honor to serve as President of the United States. Together, we've made record investments in ending our dependence on foreign sources of energy while combating the climate crisis, cutting taxes for working families, conducting research and development to cure diseases, and ensuring our military is able to stabilize Afghanistan so we can bring our troops home safely. Together, you and I have made bipartisanship a reality, we've changed Washington, and we've built a brighter future for this generation and the next. This election provides you with an important choice. Governor Bush is a good man, but his record in Texas is one that fundamentally disrespects the environment, denies health insurance for thousands, gives tax breaks to large corporations, and relies heavily on the fossil-fuel industry for job growth, not a diversified economy. I'm proud of our record and together, I know we can continue to fight to ensure the American dream is alive and well for anyone seeking it" - President Joe Lieberman

"As Governor of Texas, I'm proud of my record of working with both parties to get things done. We cut taxes, reformed welfare, improved our schools, ended junk lawsuits, and promoted a culture of life. I want to use my experience to change the culture of Washington D.C. to get things done for the American people. This administration had their chance to change Washington and solve problems, they have not led, and their failures have had real consequences for millions of Americans. Today, too many students are in failing schools, too many seniors have to choose between food and medicine, too many working families are struggling because their wages are stagnant, and millions of Americans are frustrated with Washington D.C.'s inability to get positive things done for the people. During the course of this campaign, I've put forth detailed plans to deal with our challenges.  I ask you to join me and together, I know tomorrow will be brighter than yesterday" - Former Governor of Texas George W. Bush
BushKerry04

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »

November 2, 2004 - Electoral College Re-elects President Lieberman, GOP keeps Congress

Popular Vote:
George W. Bush / JC Watts (R) 50%
Joe Lieberman / John McCain (D) 49%

Electoral College:
Lieberman 287
Bush 251

Exit Polls: A divided America

By Ideology:
Conservative - Bush 92% Lieberman 7%
Moderate - Lieberman 50% Bush 49%
Liberal - Lieberman 91% Bush 8%

By Political Party:
Republican - Bush 91% Lieberman 8%
Independent - Lieberman 51% Bush 48%
Democratic - Lieberman 90% Bush 9%

By Race:
White - Bush 58% Lieberman 41%
Hispanic/Latino - Lieberman 58% Bush 41%
Black - Lieberman 87% Bush 12%
Asian - Lieberman 55% Bush 44%
Other - Lieberman 84% Bush 15%

By gender:
Male - Bush 56% Lieberman 43%
Female - Lieberman 57% Bush 42%

By Area:
Rural - Bush 58% Lieberman 41%
Suburban - Bush 50% Lieberman 49%
Urban - Lieberman 77% Bush 22%

By Region:
Northeast - Lieberman 54% Bush 45%
Midwest - Lieberman 50% Bush 49%
Rocky Mountains - Bush 80% Lieberman 19%
South - Bush 59% Lieberman 40%
Southwest - Bush 56% Lieberman 43%

By Income:
Under $40K -  Lieberman 60% Bush 39%
$40K-$60K - Lieberman 57% Bush 42%
$60K-$85K - Lieberman 50% Bush 49%
$85K-$150K - Bush 59% Lieberman 40%
$150K-$500K - Bush 63% Lieberman 36%
$500K-$1 million - Bush 70% Lieberman 29%
Above $1 million - Bush 81% Lieberman 18%

By Most Important Issue:
Economy - Bush 54% Lieberman 45%
Debt - Bush 60% Lieberman 39%
National Security - Lieberman 55% Bush 44%
Crime - Lieberman 51% Bush 48%
Health Care - Lieberman 70% Bush 29%
Entitlement Programs - Lieberman 53% Bush 46%
Education - Bush 62% Lieberman 37%

Is the U.S. economy better, worse, or the same today than it was in 2004?
Better: 30%
Worse: 31%
Same: 37%   

Candidate and running-mate favorability
Joe Lieberman - 55% Favorable 42% Unfavorable
George W. Bush - 52% Favorable 39% Unfavorable
John McCain - 67% Favorable 18% Unfavorable
JC Watts - 55% Favorable 39% Unfavorable

Candidate/Running-mate home state results
Connecticut - Lieberman 64% Bush 35%
Texas - Bush 61% Lieberman 38%
Arizona - Lieberman 54% Bush 45%
Oklahoma - Bush 77% Lieberman 22%

Swing State Results
Colorado - Bush 51% Lieberman 48%
Ohio - Lieberman 49.7% Bush 49.5%
Florida - Bush 53% Lieberman 46%
Iowa - Bush 50% Lieberman 49%
Nevada - Bush 49.8% Lieberman 49.7%
Pennsylvania - Lieberman 53% Bush 46%
New Hampshire - Lieberman 60% Bush 39%
Missouri - Bush 59% Lieberman 40%
Wisconsin - Lieberman 55% Bush 44%
Michigan - Lieberman 54% Bush 45%
Virginia - Bush 52% Lieberman 47%
North Carolina - Bush 53% Lieberman 46%
Arizona - Lieberman 54% Bush 45%
New Mexico - Lieberman 51% Bush 48%
BushKerry04

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2018, 11:28:43 PM by BushKerry04 »

January 2, 2009 - GOP, Democrats elect chairs, leadership in Congress

WASHINGTON, DC - DNC Chairwoman Donna Brazile will remain in her current post as Democrats make changes to their party leadership in Congress. While Nancy Pelosi will remain House Minority Leader, Democrats elect Bill Pascrell of New Jersey to serve as House Minority Whip, Bill Nelson of Florida to serve as Senate Minority Leader, and Chuck Schumer of New York to serve as Senate Minority Whip. On the GOP side, Former Governor of New Jersey Christie Todd Whitman will serve as Chair of the Republican National Committee. House Republicans re-elected House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Mike Simpson, House Majority Whip Marsha Blackburn to their current positions as Senate Republicans elected Pat Roberts of Kansas to serve as Senate Majority Leader and John Thune of South Dakota to serve as Senate Majority Whip.  

January 20, 2009 - President Joe Lieberman sworn-in for second term

The Lieberman Administration
Vice President John McCain
Secretary of State Rudy Giuliani
Secretary of the Treasury Barbara B. Kennelly      
Secretary of Defense Kay Bailey Hutchison  
Attorney General Hillary Clinton  
Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton  
Secretary of Agriculture Jim Doyle
Secretary of Commerce Chuck Robbins
Secretary of Labor Dick Gephardt
Secretary of Health and Human Services Howard Dean
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Jim Weichert  
Secretary of Transportation Rodney E. Slater  
Secretary of Energy Tom Cummins    
Secretary of Education Joel Klein  
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Robert M. Walker    
White House Chief of Staff Bill Thompson    
United States Trade Representative Tom Daschle
Director of National Intelligence Strobe Talbott    
Ambassador to the United Nations Bill Richardson
Director of the Office of Management and Budget Jack Lew  
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Cofer Black    
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Bill Bradley    
Administrator of the Small Business Administration Robert B. Harrison

Highlights of the Lieberman administration, January 20, 2009 - January 1, 2011

February 5, 2009 - President Lieberman announces U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan by October 2011: President Joe Lieberman announced that U.S. forces would return home from Afghanistan by October 2011, making the war the longest in history.
June 1, 2009 - Lieberman vetoes 3 Republican bills: President Joe Lieberman vetoed three bills sent to him by the Republican Congress; a block-grant of HUD funding, legislation that would gradually reduce the size of the federal Department of Education, and a 10% reduction in the nation's corporate tax rate.
October 17, 2009 - Lieberman signs bipartisan highway bill, 10-cent per gallon gas tax into law: President Joe Lieberman signed a $250 billion infrastructure funding bill into law, the first of it's kind passed in more than 15 years. The legislation increased the federal gas tax by ten cents while using funds Congress previously allocated for energy subsidies. The legislation won the support of all 44 Senate and 207 House Democrats, who were joined by 15 Senate and 20 House Republicans. President Lieberman worked closely with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Democrat Barack Obama of Illinois on the legislation.
December 15, 2009 - President Lieberman vetoes constitutional balanced budget amendment: President Joe Lieberman vetoed a measure to allow states to adopt a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced federal budget, arguing the measure would potentially harm social security, medicare, and medicaid. The bipartisan measure passed the U.S. Senate by a vote of 72-28 and Congress by a vote of 300-135.
March 15, 2010 - Congress votes against Lieberman health care legislation: Along party lines the Republican Congress voted against legislation sponsored by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democrat Bob Menendez that would require employers to provide their employees with health insurance, expand medicaid, and double the health care deduction on federal income taxes. President Lieberman had advocated for the legislation's passage during his State of the Union address.
July 2, 2010 - As the U.S. economy faces challenge, Lieberman proposes stimulus package, GOP votes no: In light of what economists have refereed to as "pre-recession," President Joe Lieberman proposed a series of tax cuts and funding for public works projects totaling $400 billion of economic stimulus. However, along party lines, the Republican Congress opposed Lieberman's proposal.
November 2, 2010 - GOP gains 5 Senate, 15 House Seats: Republicans picked up 5 U.S. Senate and 15 House Seats in the mid-term elections. Republicans Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, John Boozman of Arkansas, and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin defeated Democratic incumbents. Republicans John Hoeven of North Dakota and Dan Coats of Indiana won open U.S. Senate seats.
December 2, 2010 - Lieberman, GOP agree on stimulus package: President Joe Lieberman worked with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Pat Roberts to write and pass a $300 billion stimulus package that gave tax rebates to middle and lower income Americans, increased funding for job training programs, gave income stability to farmers, and provides assistance for struggling small businesses. The legislation passed the U.S. Senate by a vote of 65-35 and the House by a vote of 240-195.

January 20, 2011 - Obama to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator Barack Obama of Illinois announced that he would seek the 2012 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "I want to unite the Democratic Party so we can win the election in 2012. I won't apologize for my progressive values and I want to get us out of this recession by passing legislation to help working families," Obama told CBS news. The Illinois Senator proposed a $500 billion economic stimulus package, medicaid expansion, and a timeline for withdrawal to end the war in Afghanistan.

January 25, 2011 - Mitt Romney enters race for 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

BOSTON, MA - Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney announced his intention to run for President in the 2012 election. "In the most liberal state in the nation, we cut taxes, reformed our welfare system, and enforced immigration laws. If we can accomplish that in this state, then we can turn our economy around and change Washington," Romney stated. The candidate called for a 30% across-the-board reduction in individual income tax rates, stricter enforcement of immigration laws, and market-based health care reform.

February 1, 2011 - Clark to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Former U.S. Secretary of State Wesley Clark announced that he would run for the 2012 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "America needs strong leadership to grow our economy and bring our troops home from Afghanistan," the first-time political candidate declared. Clark called for expanding health care coverage for every child in the nation, ending the war in Afghanistan by 2014, investing $100 billion in infrastructure and job training, and eliminating the federal income tax for working-class taxpayers.

February 15, 2011 - Allen running for President

MANCHESTER, NH - U.S. Senator George Allen of Virginia traveled to New Hampshire to announce his candidacy for President. "Republicans need a fresh face and a new vision in order to win the 2012 election, and I believe I offer our party just that," Allen stated. Allen pledged to fight for a constitutional human life amendment, a balanced federal budget, and to continue to increase defense spending.

February 20, 2011 - Keyes to seek GOP Presidential Nomination

JERSEY CITY, NJ - Former Ambassador and 1996 GOP Presidential Hopeful Alan Keyes became the third Republican to announce a bid for President in 2012. "This campaign is about restoring traditional moral values and freedom to our economy. Republicans can't win the white house if we don't defend the sanctity of human life and traditional marriage, embrace the progressive income tax, and if we agree to let people come here illegally," Keyes declared. Keyes called for abolishing the income tax, a human life amendment to the constitution, and a strict stance on illegal immigration.
BushKerry04

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2018, 12:12:18 AM »

February 27, 2011 - Mel Martinez to run for President

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Former U.S. Senator Mel Martinez of Florida announced that he would seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. "Restoring pride in America will take visionary leadership committed to bridging the partisan divide that has for far too long defined our politics. I'm ready for that challenge," Martinez told a large crowd. The Floridian called for bipartisan immigration reform, an overhaul of the nation's welfare system, and a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. constitution.

March 15, 2011 - Watts announces presidential candidacy

EUFAULA, OK - Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts declared his intention to seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination during an event in his hometown of Eufaula, Oklahoma. "I'm running for President to use my experience in and out of government to advance our conservative values and lead our country in a new direction," Watts declared. The 2008 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee called for a 12% flat tax, a constitutional balanced budget amendment, and the appointment of conservative justices.

April 10, 2011 - Rob Andrews enters presidential race

CAMDEN, NJ - Congressman Rob Andrews of New Jersey announced he would run in the 2012 Democratic presidential primaries. "Democrats deserve a candidate who provides our party a chance to turn the page on the past eight years to promote issues that are important to working Americans," Andrews stated. Andrews voiced his support for campaign finance reform, increased funding for infrastructure projects, and a higher federal minimum wage.

May 12, 2011 - Pataki to seek presidency

ALBANY, NY - Former Governor of New York George Pataki announced that he would be a candidate for President in 2012. "Republicans need a new message, a message that appeals to all Americans, if we want to win in 2012," Pataki stated. The Former Governor of New York praised the Lieberman administration's foreign policy, but called for returning power to states and for marriage equality.

June 1, 2011 - Survey: Watts enjoys commanding lead, Clark leads Democratic field; GOP favored to win general election

WASHINGTON, DC - Former Oklahoma Congressman JC Watts enjoys a commanding lead in the race for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, both nationally and in swing states. Nationally, Watts garners the support of 41% of likely Republican primary voters, well ahead of Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney, who only enjoys the support of 18% of likely voters. Candidate Alan Keyes is in third with 14% as George Allen, George Pataki, and Mel Martinez are in single digits. Watts also enjoys commanding leads in early primary states; he leads Romney 44%-19% in Iowa, 37%-28% in New Hampshire, and 43%-15% in South Carolina. Romney leads Watts 30%-28% in Michigan, the state Romney's father served as Governor in during the 1960s. On the Democratic side, most voters are undecided. While 60% of Democrats are undecided, Former Secretary of State Wesley Clark enjoys the support of 20% of Democrats, followed by Illinois Senator Barack Obama at 12% and New Jersey Congressman Rob Andrews at 4%. Clark leads Obama in Iowa (22%-12%), New Hampshire (20%-10%), South Carolina (19%-10%), and Michigan (23%-9%). The survey also found that Watts is the most electable GOP candidate while both Alan Keyes and George Pataki fare worst in a potential general election. While none of the Democrats are favored to win, Senator Barack Obama of Illinois fares best against Watts and other GOP candidates.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »

I’d love to see Adam Sandler enter the Republican field as a serious candidate. As well as Ted Nugent and Jeb!
Also, can you include Alice Cooper as a joke candidate?
And Trump runs as an independent
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2018, 03:17:20 PM »

LOL @ Bush winning the popular vote while losing the Electoral College.

Anyway, OBAMA 2012!!!
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »

BushKerry04

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2018, 10:44:07 PM »

LOL @ Bush winning the popular vote while losing the Electoral College.

Anyway, OBAMA 2012!!!

Thanks. Lol I had too.

I’d love to see Adam Sandler enter the Republican field as a serious candidate. As well as Ted Nugent and Jeb!
Also, can you include Alice Cooper as a joke candidate?
And Trump runs as an independent

That'd be interesting......

August 8, 2011 - Keyes wins Ames, Iowa Straw Poll

Alan Keyes 37%
JC Watts 31%
Mitt Romney 22%
George Allen 6%
Mel Martinez 1%
George Pataki 1%

August 18, 2011 - Democratic candidates participate in 1st debate, Clark & Obama trade barbs

"America faces enormous challenges, but I know I have the capacity to lead us to a new day. For most of my adult life, I've served our country in uniform. I made tough decisions, built alliances with our allies, worked to protect the homeland, and advised our leaders about how to bring stability to various regions of the world. The foreign policy and economic challenges we face today can only be solved if we realize what our strengths are. The United States built the world's strongest economy because we invested in higher education, a world-class infrastructure, and a health care system that promotes innovation. I want to embrace that legacy and ensure we do those things again. I also want to lead us to a time of greater peace and security, and I am convinced the way to do that is to support this President's plan to withdrawal our troops from Afghanistan and invest more of our resources into human intelligence" - Wesley Clark

"The next President of the United States must be an agent of change. Today, millions of Americans struggle because of the recession that we are in as a result of policies that benefited the very wealthy at the expense of working families. I share in Secretary Clark's enthusiasm for bringing our troops home from Afghanistan. Where I think I'm unique as a candidate is I'm the only one who has a real stimulus plan to invest in clean energy and shovel-ready jobs to help the millions of Americans who are struggling today. I also think I'm unique in that I'm the only candidate in either party with a plan to overhaul our health care system so more Americans can afford insurance, and I certainly am the only candidate who has pledged to make campaign finance reform a top priority. I'm a proud progressive and I won't apologize for that, but I'm also pragmatic and ready to work with Congress to change America" - Barack Obama

"Working Americans are falling behind during this recession, but let's be honest. They were falling behind because of the failed economic policies of the previous administration. I'm a Democrat and a proud progressive. I believe in a higher minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, protecting our farmers with income stabilization, and preserving medicare and medicaid for this generation and the next. But I'm also a realist. I know that government must balance it's books and that we can't ask hard working taxpayers to pay more. That's why I'm proposing a two year federal spending freeze on all programs not associated with entitlements or veteran's benefits. Then, after two years, I want to begin to move towards reconstructing a federal budget that invests more in college tuition assistance, farm income stabilization, medicaid for more Americans, and a reduction in the payroll tax for working families. We can do this and still balance the budget and not raise taxes on middle and even some upper-income Americans" - Rob Andrews

"What I'm hearing today from Barack Obama is more Washington D.C. talk. Senator Obama is promising the American people an overhaul of our health insurance system, but he implements a program that creates a windfall for the insurance industry. By forcing all Americans to buy insurance and only helping to subsidize some, your raising premiums on millions of middle-income Americans and small businesses. I support more subsidies and a larger tax deduction to help people afford insurance, but I don't believe the federal government can reduce the number of uninsured Americans without the help of state governments and yes, the health insurance industry itself. I also don't agree with Barack Obama's plan to spend $500 billion and add to the deficit. I invest 1/5th the money into job training and shovel-ready projects and add nothing to the deficit because I call for a temporary defense spending freeze as we bring our troops home. Most of Senator Obama's plan is simply an increase in existing expenditures, it's nothing new. We need someone who isn't a long time political insider as our nominee" - Wesley Clark

"I respect Secretary Clark's service in uniform and as Secretary of State. But we have two fundamentally different governing philosophies. Secretary Clark believes in a continuation of the policies of the past eight years. I supported President Lieberman's policies 87% of the time, but I do have some differences. For example, I don't believe focusing on balancing the budget without making real investments in our people is wise. If we invest in our people, we'll create jobs and broaden the tax base. That'll get us to a balanced budget. Secondly, Secretary Clark supports making changes without our existing health insurance system. The Republicans have implemented policies that have caused chaos in that market because large insurers have been able to jack up prices. I want a complete overhaul of health insurance policy at the federal level. Finally, Secretary Clark has embraced the same Republican policies on welfare. I supported the welfare reform passed by the Republican Congress and signed by President Clinton, but taking away states ability to craft their own programs is wrong in my view" - Barack Obama

BushKerry04

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »

September 15, 2011 - Front-runners role out big name endorsements

WASHINGTON, DC - Presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney, JC Watts, Alan Keyes, Barack Obama, and Wesley Clark have won some big name endorsements in recent weeks. On the GOP side, the Washington D.C. establishment and New Hampshire's political establishment has lined up behind Mitt Romney as JC Watts has won the support of more conservative members of Congress, nine Governors, and alumni of the Phil Gramm administration. Romney has won the support of a dozen Republican U.S. Senators, including Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Orin Hatch of Utah, and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire. Romney also has the support of Governors Chris Christie of eight GOP Governors, including Chris Christie (R-NJ), Butch Otter (R-ID), Rick Scott (R-FL), and Rick Perry (R-TX). A majority of New Hampshire's GOP legislature and the entire Republican Congressional delegations of New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Michigan (excluding Rep. Justin Amash who supports JC Watts), and Pennsylvania also back Romney. For his part, JC Watts has the support of the nine Governors, including Nikki Haley of South Carolina, Terry Brandstad of Iowa, Mary Fallin of Oklahoma, and John Kasich of Ohio, as well as U.S. Senators James Inholfe of Oklahoma, Tom Couburn of Oklahoma, Jim DeMint of South Carolina, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Mike Lee of Utah, and Chuck Grassley of Iowa. Watts also enjoys the support of the entire GOP congressional delegations of South Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, Ohio, and Georgia. Former Vice President Elizabeth Dole, Former Health and Human Services Secretary Newt Gingrich, Former U.N. Ambassador John Lehman, and Former Director of the Office of Management and Budget Mark Sanford also support Watts. Former Texas Congressman Ron Paul, the conservative National Review, and National Right to Life have also endorsed Watts. Former U.N. Ambassador Alan Keyes has secured endorsements from several notable social conservatives. Televangelist Pat Robertson, Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, and social conservative activist Gary Bauer have all backed Keyes for President. On the Democratic side, much of the Washington D.C. establishment has lined up to support Former Secretary of State Wesley Clark. Clark has the support of twenty Democratic Senators, fourteen Governors, and the entire Democratic Congressional delegations of New York, North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Massachusetts. Some notable Clark endorsements include Governors Andrew Cuomo of New York, Mike Bebe of Arkansas, John Lynch of New Hampshire, and U.S. Senators Tom Harkin of Iowa, Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, Kristen Gillibrand of New York, Tom Carper of Delaware, and Bill Nelson of Florida. A majority of New Hampshire's and Florida's legislative Democrats have also backed Clark. Senator Barack Obama of Illinois has the support of just five of his senate colleagues: Dick Durbin of Illinois, John Kerry of Massachusetts, Bob Menendez of New Jersey, Barbara Boxer of California, and Bernie Sanders of Vermont. Several Hollywood celebrities and big city Mayors have also announced their endorsement of Obama.

October 1, 2011 - TV ads in New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Iowa

"Values"
JC Watts: My values make up the core of who I am. I believe in public service, faith, family, and freedom. I know our rights come from God and not from government. In Congress, I worked to pass Phil Gramm's economic agenda. We reduced taxes, reformed welfare, and improved our health care system by embracing free markets. Our economy saw the longest era of prosperity in history. Today, you are struggling to make ends meet, to find work, and to provide for your children's education. I want to use my experience as a faith leader, Phil Gramm's strongest ally in Congress, and in the private sector to help grow our economy, defend the homeland, and protect our God given rights. I'm JC Watts, a consistent conservative running for President, and I approve this message because together, we can restore hope.

"Leader"
NARRATOR: A businessman who turned companies around and made them successful while creating jobs. A leader who saved the 2002 winter Olympics. The Republican Governor who cut spending, enforced immigration laws, and stood up for the sanctity of human life. Mitt Romney. Romney has a real plan to get us out of the recession. The Romney proposal. Reduce taxes for every taxpayer and business by 30%. Roll back regulations that crush small businesses. Invest in job training. Oppose government-run health care. And cap federal spending. Mitt Romney for President. Proven leadership for America.
MITT ROMNEY: I'm Mitt Romney and I approved this message.

"Same"
ALAN KEYES: I'm the only candidate in this race who doesn't offer you more of the same. My opponents believe in the progressive income tax, amnesty for illegal aliens, and brushing aside social issues. I couldn't disagree more. I believe that every human life is sacred and must be protected. Marriage is between one man and one woman. People in this country illegally should go home and our border should be secure. And we should abolish the progressive income tax and stop subsidizing laziness. I'm Alan Keyes, I'm the only candidate for President who's willing to stand up for American values, and I approved this ad.

"Alternative"
NARRATOR: Watts. Romney. Keyes. The media is pushing them. But who do Republicans deserve? Meet George Allen. Father, attorney, Governor, U.S. Senator. Allen has been hailed as one of our nation's most conservative legislators. Allen's fought for conservative judges and against Joe Lieberman's government takeover of health care.
GEORGE ALLEN: I'm George Allen and I don't believe the main stream media should choose the Republican nominee for President. I ask you to please visit georgeallen2012.com to learn more about my record and conservative agenda for America. I approve this message because together, we can take our country back.

"Independence" (New Hampshire only)
GEORGE PATAKI: In New York, I proved that independent Republican leadership can work. I'm not a partisan, I'm a reformer. Like other candidates in the GOP primary, I've cut taxes and balanced budgets. But I've also invested in education, infrastructure, and protected a woman's right to choose. I believe that the federal government should do less, but do the few things it does well. My priorities will be a balanced budget, educational choice, and ensuring we have an infrastructure for the 21st century. New Hampshire, you can lead the way to results over slogans. I'm George Pataki and I approved this ad.

"Polling"
NARRATOR: How well do you really know Mitt Romney?
MITT ROMNEY, 1994: I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country.
MITT ROMNEY, 1994: I support campaign finance reform.
MITT ROMNEY, 2002: I'm not running for a continuation of Republican values.
MEL MARTINEZ: I'm Mel Martinez. Even if you don't agree with me on every issue, I make you this promise. I won't change my positions based on what the polls say. When I say I support border security, I mean it. When I say I want a constitutional balanced budget amendment, I mean it. And when I say I'll work with both parties to pass tax cuts to get us out of the recession, I mean it. I'm Mel Martinez and I approved this message because leadership isn't about polling.

"Plan"
NARRATOR: Wesley Clark has a plan to get our economy moving again. Invest in infrastructure, cut taxes for small businesses, loosen credit for job creators, raise the minimum wage, and create incentives for companies that hire displaced workers. The New York Times says Clark's plan could create a million jobs in just two years and the Boston Globe says Clark is the only candidate offering solutions on the economy.
WESLEY CLARK: I'm Wes Clark and I approved this message.

"Change"
BARACK OBAMA: I'm Barack Obama. I'm running for President to change America during a time of uncertainty about the future. When I talk about economic development, increasing access to health insurance, or reforming our campaign finance system to get money out of politics, I do so because everywhere I go, I hear stories about how people are struggling and feel that Washington D.C. is out of touch with them. I know what it's like to struggle to make ends meet because I've lived it. Join me and together, we can change America and help everyone achieve the American dream. I'm Barack Obama and I approved this message.

"Win"
ROB ANDREWS: I'm Congressman Rob Andrews, Democrat running for President. The truth is, Democrats are going to have a difficult time winning this election. Secretary Clark and Senator Obama are good people, and I agree with them on quite a few things. But the truth is, we Democrats aren't going to win by running an ideological campaign. We have to be pragmatic. I'll defend a woman's right to choose, the environment, and LGBT rights. But I also know we can't win or properly govern if we don't balance the budget, keep taxes low for middle and lower income Americans, and we can't make welfare a way of life. I'm Congressman Rob Andrews and I approved this message because Democrats need a candidate who can win and govern.  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies