1996: Dole out, Quayle in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1996: Dole out, Quayle in
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 1996: Dole out, Quayle in  (Read 11864 times)
BushKerry04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

December 15, 1994 - BREAKING: Dole won't seek '96 GOP Presidential Nomination

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, the 1976 Republican nominee for Vice President and a 1980 & 1988 Republican Presidential Hopeful, announced he would not run for President in 1996. "I have decided that the Republican revolution gives me an opportunity to work to balance the budget, reform welfare, cut taxes, and hold Bill Clinton accountable. To do these things for America, I must dedicate my time and energy to the United States Senate. As a result, I won't be a candidate for President in the 1996 election," Dole stated.

December 18, 1994 - POLL: Most undecided about '96, Quayle and Alexander poll highest

Dan Quayle 22%
Lamar Alexander 20%
Collin Powell 12%
Phil Gramm 10%
Pat Buchanan 3%
Steve Forbes 2%
Undecided 31%

January 17, 1995 - Alexander to seek GOP Presidential Nomination

NASHVILLE, TN - Former U.S. Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander announced his intention to run for President in 1996. "America needs a leader from outside Washington D.C. to return power to states. Today, too much of our power and too much of our money is concentrated in Washington D.C.," Alexander said. Alexander said that if elected, he'd fight to block-grant welfare spending, cut income taxes by 30% across-the-board, and appoint conservative justices.

February 1, 1995 - Phil Gramm enters race for 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination

MANCHESTER, NH - U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas became the second candidate to announce a bid for the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President of the United States to make good on the promises we Republicans made America in 1994. I'm running to cut taxes, reform welfare, balance the federal budget, and oppose the radical left-wing agenda this nation rejected in 1994 and will again in 1996," Gramm declared. Gramm said he'd balance the federal budget, abolish the federal income tax in favor of a 20% national sales tax, support more free trade, and reform the nation's welfare system.

March 12, 1995 - Dan Quayle announces Presidential Bid

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle declared his candidacy for President in the 1996 election. "This is not a time for us to stand idly by and allow an unethical, slick, and morally bankrupt demagogue win a second term. This is a time for us to stand up and fight for our most core values as a society," Quayle stated. Quayle pledged to defend the right to life, repeal Bill Clinton's 1993 tax increase, and restore President Clinton's cuts to defense spending if elected President.

March 15, 1995 - Forbes to seek Republican Presidential Nomination

BRIDGEWATER, NJ - Businessman Steve Forbes announced his intention to run for President in 1996, as a Republican. "Washington D.C. is broken and it's going to take a leader with courage to fix it," Forbes stated. Forbes called for a two-year federal spending freeze, a 15% flat tax, and a reversal of all Clinton-era regulations.

March 27, 1995 - Keyes running for President

BALTIMORE, MD - Former Diplomat Alan Keyes entered the race for the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination at a press conference in Baltimore, Maryland. "Too many in the Republican Party are trying to say this economy is broken, but the truth is, our morals are broken because the President has no morals and shows it on a regular basis. Americans are tired of unethical leaders and people with no principles. I'm here to stand with the American people to reclaim America," Keyes declared. Keyes called for a federal ban on abortion, a reversal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and the elimination of the federal Departments of Education, Housing & Urban Development, and Energy.

May 1, 1995 - Buchanan launches 2nd Presidential Bid

DOVER, NH - Political Commentator and 1992 Republican Presidential Hopeful Patrick J. Buchanan declared his second bid for President during an event in Dover, New Hampshire. "I'm running for the presidency to fight for the forgotten American who lost their job due to NAFTA, lost their job due to illegal immigration, or lost their community due to drugs," Buchanan declared. Buchanan called for a repeal of NAFTA, deporting undocumented workers, and more federal funding to combat the War on Drugs.

May 15, 1995 - Morry Taylor to seek Presidency

DETROIT, MI - Businessman Morry Taylor announced he would run for President in the 1996 Presidential election. "It's time for a businessman and executive to run the executive branch of government so we can cut waste and help Americans keep their jobs and more of what they earn," Taylor declared. Taylor pledged to reverse NAFTA, cut the federal budget by a third, and save social security, medicare, and medicaid.

August 15, 1995 - BREAKING: Gramm wins Ames, Iowa straw poll

Phil Gramm 2,125
Dan Quayle 1,875
Lamar Alexander 1,694
Steve Forbes 997
Alan Keyes 207
Patrick J. Buchanan 94
Morry Taylor 90

August 23, 1995 - National Poll: Quayle leads, Gramm surges, Forbes moves up, Alexander slides

Dan Quayle 25%
Phil Gramm 23%
Steve Forbes 18%
Lamar Alexander 16%
Pat Buchanan 7%
Alan Keyes 2%
Morry Taylor 1%
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

This is gonna be pretty good!
BushKerry04

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:56:56 PM »

Thank you!

September 1, 1995 - Quayle roles out establishment endorsements in New Hampshire

LEBANON, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Dan Quayle announced that several establishment Republicans were endorsing his campaign for the GOP Presidential Nomination. U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, Governor of New Jersey Christie Todd Whitman, Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani, Former U.S. Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, and U.S. Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire all endorsed Quayle for the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination.

September 2, 1995 - Gramm counters Quayle, rolls out conservative endorsements

IOWA CITY, IA - Republican Presidential Hopeful Phil Gramm announced that several conservative leaders across the nation were endorsing his campaign for President. Governor of California Pete Wilson, House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Christian Conservative Leader Pat Robertson, U.S. Senator Al D'Amato of New York, Congressman J.C. Watts of Oklahoma, Governor of South Carolina David Beasley, and U.S. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania endorsed Gramm for the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination.

September 17, 1995 - TV Ads running in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina

"Experience"
NARRATOR: Under Bill Clinton, Americans have learned what inexperienced leadership means. A weakened military, an economy with stagnant wages, and the largest tax increase in history. Bill Clinton has failed America. It's time for a President with experience and the determination to solve our problems.
DAN QUAYLE: During my time in Congress, I led the fight for conservative judges and to pass President Reagan's economic agenda. As George Bush's Vice President, I was involved in every foreign policy issue facing our country. I have made tough decisions and I know how to lead our country.
NARRATOR: Dan Quayle for President. The leadership America needs.

"Reality"
NARRATOR 1: Establishment politician Phil Gramm is misleading you. Gramm fought for the 1990 budget deal, then voted against the proposal to cover himself politically.
NARRATOR 2: Dan Quayle has never wavered in fighting for the American taxpayer. Quayle supported the Reagan economic agenda and opposed Bill Clinton's tax increase and proposed government takeover of health care. Quayle has pledged to cut taxes, shrink the size of government, and promote a culture of life. That's reality. Dan Quayle for President. The leadership America needs.

"Deals"
NARRATOR 1: 1990. Democrats orchestrate a scheme to raise taxes by over $200 billion while continuing to add to the national debt. Vice President Dan Quayle endorsed the scheme and led the fight for it's passage. Quayle's tax increase led America into recession. How can conservatives trust someone who cuts deals with Democrats?
NARRATOR 2: Phil Gramm opposed Dan Quayle's tax increase and refused to cut deals with Bill Clinton. Gramm defeated Clinton's government takeover of health care and led the fight against Clinton's middle-class tax increase. Phil Gramm for President. Less government. More freedom.

"Conservative"
PHIL GRAMM: When I had to choose between cutting deals with liberal Democrats and standing with the American people, I always choose the American people. I left the Democratic Party and became a Republican to help pass President Reagan's economic agenda. We cut taxes, reduced regulations, rebuilt our military, and created 16 million new jobs. When Dan Quayle and Bill Clinton raised taxes on the middle-class, I led the fight against them. When Bill Clinton proposed a government takeover of our health care system, I stopped him - even when some Republicans were willing to cut a deal with the President. I'm running for President to do what we conservatives promised America in 1994. I'll fight to balance the budget, cut taxes, reform welfare, and expand free trade. I've been a conservative for my entire life, and I'll fight for our values as President.
NARRATOR: Phil Gramm for President. Less government. More freedom.

"Washington D.C."
LAMAR ALEXANDER: I'm Lamar Alexander. I'm running for President to return power to states and help Americans take responsibility for their own decisions. I've actually balanced budgets, kept taxes low, and improved the quality of education. Dan Quayle, Phil Gramm? They've never balanced a budget, never had to make payroll, and never had a job in the real economy. If we nominate one of them, this election will be about which political party controls Washington D.C. I want this election to be about who controls your life, you, or the federal government. Join me and together, let's shrink government and make America prosperous in the next century.

"Flat"
NARRATOR 1: Phil Gramm and Dan Quayle fought for the 1990 tax increase that led the Republican Party to defeat in 1992 and reduced take-home pay for working Americans. We can't afford to go back.
NARRATOR 2: Steve Forbes is a businessman running for President to take on the political establishment. Forbes is fighting for school choice, term-limits for politicians, and for a 15% flat tax that helps working families keep more of what they earn. Conservative leadership for America's Future. Steve Forbes. President.

"Protect"
PAT BUCHANAN: Under Bill Clinton, the American worker has experienced hard times. Trade deals are shipping millions of our jobs overseas, working families struggle to make ends meet thanks to Bill Clinton's massive tax increase and an influx of illegal aliens, liberal judges undermine our commitment to protecting life, and drugs tear apart families and communities. As President, I'll reverse unfair trade deals that send jobs overseas, secure our border to stop the flow of illegal aliens and drugs, and promote the sanctity of human life. We can and must protect our jobs and our values. I'll do that as President.

"Business"
MORRY TAYLOR: I'm the only one running for President who has had a job in the real economy. I built a successful business and have employed thousands of workers in the heartland of America. I'm not a lawyer and politician. I'm running for President to stop wasteful spending, reduce the size of the federal bureaucracy, balance the federal budget, and bring jobs back to America. Politicians like Bill Clinton, Dan Quayle, and Phil Gramm support deficit spending and unfair trade deals. Let's reclaim America for this generation and the next.
NARRATOR: Real experience. Real solutions. Morry Taylor for President.

"Different"
NARRATOR: What makes Alan Keyes different from the other presidential candidates? Keyes has championed conservative causes for his entire adult life. Keyes took on the Soviet Union as a diplomat in the Reagan administration, opposed the Bush/Quayle tax increase as head of Citizens Against Government Waste, and has fought Bill Clinton's liberal judicial appointments. Now, unlike the others, Keyes is fighting to ban abortion, abolish the income tax, and eliminate the federal Department of Education. Alan Keyes for President. The only conservative choice.

December 1, 1995 - President Bill Clinton formally launches re-election bid at Philadelphia rally

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Tputing the creation of over 8.2 million new jobs, declining welfare rolls, declining urban crime, and rising incomes, President Bill Clinton launched his re-election campaign, telling Americans a second term afforded him the opportunity to fight for lower taxes, welfare reform, and to increase funding for education. "Today, our economy is more prosperous than at anytime in the history of our country. We are safer and more peaceful today than we were just four years ago. Americans are hopeful about the future of our country, and so am I. That's why today, I'm officially entering the race to be your President for four more years," Clinton declared.

December 28, 1995 - POLL: Quayle remains GOP front-runner, Gramm in strong second, Gramm polls best against Bill Clinton

National GOP Nomination:
Dan Quayle 30%
Phil Gramm 25%
Lamar Alexander 20%
Steve Forbes 12%
Patrick J. Buchanan 6%
Alan Keyes 4%
Morry Taylor 2%

General Election Match-Ups

Bill Clinton 48%
Dan Quayle 41%

Bill Clinton 47%
Phil Gramm 45%

Bill Clinton 48%
Lamar Alexander 38%

Bill Clinton 48%
Steve Forbes 39%

Bill Clinton 48%
Morry Taylor 37%

Bill Clinton 51%
Patrick J. Buchanan 30%

Bill Clinton 50%
Alan Keyes 35%

January 29, 1996 - Louisiana Caucus: Gramm wins; Forbes defies odds, wins 2nd place finish

Phil Gramm 32%
Steve Forbes 25%
Dan Quayle 22%
Patrick J. Buchanan 10%
Lamar Alexander 6%
Alan Keyes 3%
Morry Taylor 1%
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »

Oh wow, is that really what the 90s looked like? (The Gramm webpage)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:16 AM »

Very unlikely Quayle ever would have run in 1996 under any circumstances as he had some kind of painful health problem at that time.
BushKerry04

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 11:33:31 PM by BushKerry04 »

Very unlikely Quayle ever would have run in 1996 under any circumstances as he had some kind of painful health problem at that time.

He did consider running anyway.

Oh wow, is that really what the 90s looked like? (The Gramm webpage)

That's what I thought also haha (I was only 4 years old in '96)

February 6, 1996 - Forbes stuns the political establishment, wins Alaska Caucuses

Steve Forbes 26%
Phil Gramm 25%
Dan Quayle 23%
Lamar Alexander 15%
Patrick J. Buchanan 6%
Morry Taylor 3%
Alan Keyes 1%

February 12, 1996 - Quayle wins Iowa, Taylor finishes surprise third, Alexander bows out after 5th place finish

Dan Quayle 32%
Phil Gramm 30%
Morry Taylor 25%
Steve Forbes 7%
Lamar Alexander 2%
Patrick J. Buchanan 2%
Alan Keyes 1%

February 15, 1996 - GOP candidates go on the attack in testy N.H. Debate

"The Republican nominee for President and the next President of the United States should be someone with a proven track record of fighting for working Americans, not cutting deals with Dick Gephardt and Bill Clinton. After I fought for the Reagan economic agenda that cut taxes, reduced regulations, and rebuilt our military, I took on the establishment of both parties in opposing the 1990 budget deal that increased taxes by over $200 billion and increased our national debt. Dan Quayle fought for that deal, but now wants voters to forget that. I also fought Bill Clinton's tax increase even when some in my own party went along with him. I also defeated Bill Clinton's health care bill while other Republicans were willing to go along with his government takeover of our health care system. When has Dan Quayle ever taken on the establishment of his own party or the Democratic Party? He's the establishment candidate in this race, a supporter of the status-quo, and he feels that this nomination is rightfully his. I am running for President to make sure we Republicans make good on the promises we made in 1994. I believe we should fight to balance the budget, cut taxes for the American family, reform welfare, and ensure we have high ethical standards in Washington D.C. I believe in less government and more freedom" - Phil Gramm

"Senator Gramm wants Republican voters to forget that he has consistently supported the appointment of pro-choice justices to the bench. He wants Republicans to forget that he actually was involved in negotiating the 1990 budget agreement that he now attacks me for having supported. Senator Gramm has never had to make tough decisions. I have made tough decisions for my entire adult life. In Congress, I supported Senator Gramm and President Reagan when they passed an economic agenda that cut taxes and reduced regulations. As Vice President, I worked to end the cold war, bring a swift conclusion to our combat mission in the gulf, and we fought to pass a free trade agreement that some criticized us for, but an agreement that was beneficial to economic growth and the American worker. Senator Gramm has spent his entire political career in the legislative branch of government. That's where I got my start, but I made tough decisions as Vice President of the United States. I am ready to lead America on day one and I have a conservative agenda I intend to get passed. We'll reverse the Clinton tax increase, return welfare policy to the states, appoint conservative justices, and rebuild our military to keep the peace" - Dan Quayle

"Vice President Quayle, Senator Gramm, and President Clinton all have one thing in common. They are all career politicians who seek a promotion. All of them make promises and break them as soon as we the people vote them into office. Quayle, Gramm, and Clinton pledged no tax hikes and more jobs, instead they gave us tax hikes and sending American jobs overseas with unfair trade. What have the career politicians gotten us? Massive tax hikes, record national debt, trade deficits, and jobs going overseas. We can't afford to send more career politicians to Washington to preserve the status-quo. What we need is a businessman who has created jobs, as I have done. I built a company from scratch, today I am proud to employ thousands of American workers who manufacture an American product in the heartland of our country. I'll reverse the unfair trade deals, cut the size of the bureaucracy by a third from the top down, balance the budget immediately, and stop raising taxes on the American worker. I've put forth a specific program for that to happen" - Morry Taylor

"The politicians in Washington D.C. have too much control over our money and our lives. The reason my campaign is seeing a surge of support is because my message of economic prosperity for all Americans is catching on. I have experience in the real world and the special interests can not control me. My flat tax will help more Americans keep more of what they earn, afford a home, afford college, and afford health care. My proposal to implement term-limits will encourage more in the private sector to run for office, serve, and then go home and live by the laws they helped pass. My school choice program will help all students, particularly those in poorer school districts, succeed and have a life filled with meaning. I also disagree with the protectionists up here that mistakenly believe America should isolate itsself from the rest of the world on trade. I believe the American worker can compete and win, so long as government gets out of the way. With lower taxes, better schools, and a balanced budget, I am confident we can do just that. I'm running for President not to serve a lifelong ambition of mine, but to serve the public and help make this period an era of greater economic prosperity for all Americans" - Steve Forbes

"When Dan Quayle, Phil Gramm, and Bill Clinton implemented NAFTA, they gave us unfair trade policies and an influx of illegal aliens into our country. The American worker has been let down by politicians in Washington D.C. Meanwhile, we've also seen an influx of drugs into our country, our values are under assault, and abortion has become all too common. I'm seeking the presidency to end NAFTA and other trade deals that send jobs overseas, secure our border to end the influx of drugs and illegal aliens, and to fight for the overturn of Roe V. Wade. I want to make sure our country returns to the era where we believed in faith, country, and family. I want to help us recognize that our rights come from our creator and not from government. I ask you to join me in the fight to take our country back not only from President Bill Clinton, but from establishment Republicans like Dan Quayle and Phil Gramm as well" - Patrick J. Buchanan

"The Republican Party can not win the election of 1996 simply on an economic argument. I care about the economy, yes, and I support abolishing the income tax and school choice, two policies that will help the economy in both the short and long-term, but we must recognize that the current President is an amoral liar and criminal who we can't trust and is a horrible role-model for our kids. So unless we defend the sanctity of human life, traditional marriage, and biblical principles, we can not win the election of 1996. Bill Clinton will make the argument that we are out of touch with everyday Americans. If we nominate Dan Quayle, Phil Gramm, or really anyone up here, the response will be that well we are going to continue to allow government to commit theft, just a little bit less theft, which will help grow the economy. We need a nominee who will tell the President that his radical secular leftist agenda is out of touch with our nation's founding and the values of which our nation was built on" - Alan Keyes

February 20, 1996 - Gramm wins New Hampshire primary

Phil Gramm 40%
Dan Quayle 33%
Steve Forbes 15%
Patrick J. Buchanan 8%
Morry Taylor 2%
Alan Keyes 1%

February 23, 1996 - BREAKING: Former President George H.W. Bush campaigns with, officially endorses Dan Quayle ahead of Delaware, Arizona, North Dakota, and South Dakota

DOVER, DE - Former President George Bush officially endorsed his Vice President, Dan Quayle, for the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination during a campaign rally in Dover, Delaware. Bush said in the summer of 1995 that he intended to vote for Quayle, but never issued a formal endorsement until the Delaware event. "Dan Quayle is the best qualified candidate to be commander-in-chief on day one," Bush said of Quayle.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:24:01 AM »

Nice. I think Buchanan is definitely screwed after losing New Hampshire even though he already was in real life.
BushKerry04

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »

I was about to make this timeline LOL

Looks good so far!

Thank you! No one says you can't. It would be interesting to compare our two timelines!

Nice. I think Buchanan is definitely screwed after losing New Hampshire even though he already was in real life.

It appears he is.

February 24, 1996 - Forbes wins Delaware Primary

WASHINGTON, DC - Multiple sources within the Republican Party told CNN and the Wall Street Journal that South Carolina's GOP primary was "make or break" for both Former Vice President Dan Quayle and U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas. To date, Gramm has a slight lead over Quayle in terms of both popular votes and delegates to the GOP convention. 1,874 delegates are needed to win the GOP nomination; Gramm has 71, Quayle has 49. Steve Forbes has 15. Additionally, Gramm leads Quayle in the national popular vote; 38% to 33%. Both campaigns have focused heavily on South Carolina. Gramm has the support of the state's Republican Governor while Quayle enjoys the endorsements of a majority of South Carolina's Republican Congressional Delegation. An open primary state where both Republicans and unaffiliated voters can vote in the GOP primary, Gramm is banking on Republicans to exclusively support him, as Quayle courts the state's large evangelical population. Polls have shown the race as a virtual tie in recent weeks.
BushKerry04

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »

March 2, 1996 - Gramm wins South Carolina Primary, Quayle wins Wyoming Caucuses

Colorado - Gramm 42% Quayle 35% Forbes 15% Buchanan 6% Keyes 1%
Georgia - Gramm 47% Quayle 30% Forbes 10% Buchanan 9% Keyes 3%
Maryland - Gramm 38% Quayle 30% Keyes 22% Forbes 8% Buchanan 1%
Minnesota - Gramm 36% Quayle 34% Forbes 21% Buchanan 7% Keyes 1%
Connecticut - Quayle 50% Gramm 38% Forbes 9% Buchanan 1% Keyes 1%
Massachusetts - Quayle 49% Gramm 30% Forbes 15% Buchanan 4% Keyes 1%
Rhode Island - Quayle 46% Gramm 32% Forbes 18% Buchanan 1% Keyes 1%
Vermont - Forbes 31% Quayle 30% Gramm 30% Buchanan 7% Keyes 1% 
BushKerry04

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »

March 7, 1996 - Gramm wins New York Primary

CLEVELAND, OH - U.S. Senator Phil Gramm laid out a serious of promises to the American people, modeled after the Contract with America, during an event in Cleveland, Ohio. Gramm signed a "pledge to America" and promised that if he didn't fulfill the first pledge, to balance the federal budget by 1999, he would not seek re-election in 2000. The pledge contained the following items in it:

1. A Balanced budget by FY1999. Gramm said he would work with Congress to reform entitlement programs, freeze domestic spending for two years, and broaden the tax base through tax and budget cuts to accomplish this goal.
2. Tax cuts: a 15% flat tax on personal income, a 25% flat tax on corporations, and a 12% flat capital gains tax.
3. Welfare reform that put in place stricter work requirements and mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients
4. Ethics reform that requires public officials to disclose all meetings with registered lobbyists
5. Restoration of Bill Clinton's cuts to the defense budget
6. Tort reform to reduce the cost of health insurance
7. More free trade agreements
8. Elimination of the federal Department of Education
9. A reversal of all economic regulations passed or implemented after January 20, 1989
10. The appointment of conservative justices
BushKerry04

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »

March 18, 1996 - BREAKING: Keyes concedes defeat, won't endorse Gramm; Gramm becomes Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee

OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »

Great timeline. I hope it goes to at least 2016. 
BushKerry04

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2017, 10:43:44 PM by BushKerry04 »

Great timeline. I hope it goes to at least 2016.  

Thank you!

July 2, 1996 - BREAKING: Perot taps Brown for Vice President

SACRAMENTO, CA - Independent Presidential Hopeful Ross Perot announced that Former Governor of California Jerry Brown would be his running-mate in the 1996 presidential race. "Jerry Brown has demonstrated that successful leaders can take on both political parties and win for the people," Perot said of Brown.

July 20, 1996 - Gramm taps Dole for Vice President

CHAPEL HILL, NC - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Phil Gramm announced that Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole would be his running-mate in the 1996 presidential election. "Elizabeth Dole has the experience and the know-how to help bring my message of less government and more freedom to every corner of this country. She has a proven ability to lead, and I trust her to be Vice President of the United States," Gramm stated.

August 12, 1996 - Former Vice President Dan Quayle gives keynote address to 1996 GOP Convention

"Under President Clinton, we've seen stagnant wages, slow economic growth, government promoting dependency, the breakdown of the American family, a military that has been weakened, and a President with no moral authority. Friends, this must change. Americans rejected Bill Clinton's radical left-wing agenda in the election of 1994. Now, it's time for we Republicans to join together to defeat Bill Clinton. Phil Gramm and Elizabeth Dole have the experience to lead our country. They have a conservative agenda to promote economic growth, personal responsibility, family values, and a strong America. The choice Americans will make this November couldn't be more clear. Phil Gramm's pledge to America will help unleash the power of the free market to create millions of high-paying jobs for the American people. Bill Clinton opposes tax cuts that promote economic growth. Phil Gramm will reform welfare to promote work, Bill Clinton supports the current policy that rewards dependency. Phil Gramm will appoint judges who defend the right to life, Bill Clinton has appointed liberal, activist judges. Phil Gramm supported President Regan's investments in our defenses, Bill Clinton cut defense spending. Phil Gramm represents your interests, Bill Clinton stands up for special interests. I'm proud to stand with Phil Gramm and Elizabeth Dole" - Former Vice President Dan Quayle

August 14, 1996 - Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole accepts GOP Vice Presidential Nomination

"Speaker Gingrich and Senator Dole need leadership in the white house to help pass their conservative agenda for America. Phil Gramm shares our values and the values of the American people. His story is an American story. Phil Gramm believes, as do you and I, that Americans are ready for change in this election. We are ready to elect a President who believes in an opportunity society, not an entitlement society. We are ready to elect a President who believes in personal responsibility, not government intruding in our lives. That's why Phil Gramm and I have made a pledge to the American people that we will defend our values. We will cut taxes, balance the budget, reform welfare, appoint judges who believe in the constitution, strengthen our military, and restore honor and decency to the office of President of the United States. That conservative agenda and conservative vision for the future is far different than that of our opponents. President Clinton vetoed tax relief for working families, vetoed welfare reform, opposed balancing the federal budget, and signed into law the largest tax increase in history. Bill Clinton has been caught with his hands in the cookie jar on multiple occasions. Bill Clinton is the first President, maybe ever, that we can honestly say does not tell the truth, ever. It's time for a change, and we know how to lead" - Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole, Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 15, 1996 - U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"Over the course of the past 18 years, I have defended our conservative values in Washington D.C. I wrote and passed the Reagan economic agenda that cut taxes and reduced regulations. Our economy created over 16 million new jobs, tax revenue increased, and the number of Americans in poverty fell. Under George Bush, I stood with the President when he invested in our military, and I took on the leadership of my own party in opposing the 1990 budget agreement that increased taxes on the American worker. Since Bill Clinton became President, I have been his strongest critic in the U.S. Senate. I opposed the Clinton tax increase, stopped the Clinton government takeover of our health care system, and opposed Clinton's activist judicial appointments that undermine the constitution. I'm running for President to stop Bill Clinton and fight for less government and more freedom in America. That's why I've put forth a bold agenda that I have pledged all across the country I'll fight for as President. This conservative agenda will strengthen our economy by cutting taxes and allowing our businesses to compete with anyone in the world. This agenda will strengthen the American family by promoting a culture of life and marriage. This agenda will stop dependency by rewarding work. And this agenda will keep our country safe by restoring Bill Clinton's reckless cuts to our defenses. For my entire career in Congress, I have never broken a single promises. As President of the United States, I have no intention of starting to break promises down" - U.S. Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX), Republican Presidential Nominee
BushKerry04

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:20 PM »

August 22, 1996 - U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey gives DNC Keynote Address

"As Democrats, we believe in fighting for those without a voice. We believe in the politics of inclusion, hope, and civility. Our Republican friends are trying to divide Americans, and I stand here before you today to say we can't let them do that. I'm proud of the work President Bill Clinton and Democrats have done since 1993. We've appointed judges who believe in a woman's right to choose, made our streets safer, invested more in our public schools, fought for paid medical leave, and reformed our welfare system to encourage work. But make no mistake about it, there is more work to do. President Clinton has proposed tax relief for working families, increased investments in job training, a balanced budget plan that meets our obligations to our senior citizens, working families, and veterans, and the President has said he'll fight to raise our minimum wage. I stand with President Clinton and the American people in the fight for equality and opportunity. Sadly, our Republican opponents want to gut medicare, end social security as we know it, ban abortion, and deny millions of Americans access to quality health insurance. Let's show the world that we, as Americans, reject the politics of the past and look towards the future" - U.S. Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ)

August 24, 1996 - Vice President Al Gore accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"At our convention four years ago, President Bill Clinton and I pledged to fight for working families who had been left behind thanks to the economic policies supported by Phil Gramm, Newt Gingrich, and Dick Armey. Working with both political parties, we have proven that we can invest in the American people and still exercise fiscal responsibility and accountability. Thanks to our policies of expanding free trade, reducing federal economic regulations, and restoring fiscal responsibility, our economy has created over 10 million new jobs and we are in an era of historically low inflation, unemployment, and poverty. But make no mistake about it. If Phil Gramm wins this election, we will turn the clock back, not to 1992, but to 1952. Phil Gramm has gone around the country bragging to Americans that he opposed the creation of the Department of Education, wants to change social security and medicare as we know it, give tax breaks to the very rich, and appoint judges who want to strip away a woman's right to choose. Presidents of both political parties, from Ronald Reagan to Bill Clinton, have understood that medicare and social security serve as crucial safety net programs for our senior citizens. Presidents of both political parties understand that the Department of Education is crucial to helping future generations of Americans get a quality education. And even though Presidents of both political parties have differed on Roe Vs. Wade, even Presidents Reagan and Bush didn't attempt to overturn that decision. My fellow Americans, let's reject Phil Gramm's radical agenda and re-elect a President who works with both political parties to get things done" - Vice President Al Gore, 1996 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee

August 25, 1996 - President Bill Clinton accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"I'm very proud of the work we've done together to build a more perfect union as we head into the new millennium. Together, you and I expanded opportunities for students, helped more of our veterans acquire quality health care, expanded free trade to encourage commerce and create jobs, reduced the deficit in half while meeting our obligations to our senior citizens and working families, expanded paid medical leave to protect women in the workforce, and put in place the toughest environmental protections in history. Despite opposition from Senator Gramm and some on the far right, we've worked with Democrats and Republicans to get things done. We've proven that strong leadership and real solutions solve problems for everyday Americans. Today, our economy is prospering, our families are stronger, the most vulnerable in our society are being cared for properly, our military is strong, and we are making strides towards greater equality for every single American. Another four years gives us another opportunity to continue to move our country forward. We'll cut taxes, help create a better educated workforce, encourage small business expansion, expand choice in education to help every child in America get a quality education, and we will reform social security and medicare without the devastating cuts proposed by Speaker Gingrich and Senator Gramm. My friends, serving as President of the United States has been the honor of a lifetime. I'm living proof that in America, anything is possible. Let's continue to be the country where a small-town boy from rural Arkansas with big dreams can be President of the United States someday" - President Bill Clinton, 1996 Democratic Presidential Nominee 

September 2, 1996 - TV Ads running

"Plan"
PHIL GRAMM: I'm running for President to restore opportunity for every American. My economic plan gets rid of the current tax code and establishes a 15% flat tax, saving you and your family thousands of dollars. My plan reduces regulations that crush small businesses, expands free trade to help American companies compete and win globally, and reforms welfare to encourage work over dependency. I believe in free markets, personal responsibility, and allowing you to keep more of what you earn. That's what guides my plan, and it's what will guide my Presidency.
NARRATOR: Gramm/Dole '96. Less government. More freedom.

"Medicare"
NARRATOR 1: Phil Gramm said he wishes he could have voted against the creation of medicare. Gramm conspired with Newt Gingrich to slash medicare by billions of dollars. Now, Gramm is promising to end medicare as we know it.
NARRATOR 2: President Clinton vetoed the Gramm/Gingrich medicare scheme and will always protect senior citizens. The choice is clear. President Clinton. Moving America forward.

"Overseas"
NARRATOR 1: Bill Clinton and Phil Gramm worked to send hundreds of thousands of American manufacturing jobs overseas. Clinton and Gramm both continue to support NAFTA. Gramm even pledges to sign more trade agreements that will send our jobs overseas.
ROSS PEROT: As President, I'll reverse NAFTA and only make trade agreements that are fair to the American worker. The politicians won't protect your jobs. I will.
NARRATOR 2: Fighting for the American worker. Perot. President.

"Military"
COLLIN POWELL: Today, America's military is under-funded, over-extended, and lacks the preparedness necessary to keep the peace. Phil Gramm is the only candidate for President who has said he will restore the defense cuts of the past three years. Phil Gramm is the only candidate for President who says he won't engage in nation building. And Phil Gramm is the only candidate for President who has been involved in every foreign policy issue facing our country since 1978. So please, join me in supporting Phil Gramm for President.

BushKerry04

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »

October 1, 1996 - Majority of Americans say Gramm won first debate on domestic issues

WASHINGTON, DC - A CNN poll found that 55% of Americans believe Republican Presidential Nominee Phil Gramm won the first presidential debate on domestic issues. Just 38% said the same of President Bill Clinton, the Democratic Presidential Nominee. During the debate, Gramm touted his record in the U.S. Senate, arguing that he took on the establishment of both political parties and helped pass the Reagan economic agenda. Gramm also touted his economic platform, including a 15% flat income tax, fewer regulations, and increased free trade. President Clinton argued that Gramm represents the far-right in American politics, repeatably stating that Gramm and House Speaker Newt Gingrich would slash medicare and social security if they win in 1996. Clinton said that he was the candidate best positioned to cut taxes and balance the federal budget, not Gramm.

October 12, 1996 - POLL: Gore wins Vice Presidential Debate, narrowly

WASHINGTON, DC - By a margin of 42%-40%, a New York Times poll found that Vice President Al Gore defeated Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole in the only Vice Presidential Debate of the 1996 campaign season. During the debate, Dole criticized the Clinton administration for what she called "lack of ethics" and the President's 1993 tax increase and proposed universal health care program. Dole touted Phil Gramm's economic agenda throughout the evening. Vice President Al Gore praised President Clinton's leadership and bi-partisan accomplishments, including welfare reform and paid family leave. Gore attacked Phil Gramm as too far to the political right, and called his tax plan a "giveaway to the wealthy."

October 21, 1996 - Clinton wins debate on foreign policy, majority says

WASHINGTON, DC - A Gallup poll found that a majority of Americans believe President Bill Clinton defeated U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas in the second presidential debate on foreign policy. 58% of Americans believe Clinton won the debate, with just 29% saying the same of Gramm. Clinton defended his administration's foreign interventionism and pledged to continue to invest more in the U.S. military than other budgetary items and Phil Gramm said the President cut defense spending and pledged to restore those cuts. Noteworthy was that both Clinton and Gramm agreed on issues of trade and diplomacy.

October 28, 1996 - Clinton, Gramm make their final cases to voters in final debate

"My fellow Americans, these four years have helped us prove to ourselves and the world that America is still the strongest nation on earth. We have the world's strongest military, the world's strongest economy, and the best legal system the world has ever known. Together, you and I have been on an extraordinary journey. We've restored hope to this country. We've reformed our welfare system to reward productivity, helped American businesses trade freely in a way that has created jobs for working Americans, established a paid sick leave program to protect women and families, invested in education so every child has a chance at the American dream, and we've reduced the deficit in half without breaking our promises to senior citizens, the working poor, single mothers, and veterans. This election offers you, the American people, an important choice. My opponent is a good man, but his record speaks for itsself. Senator Gramm opposed the creation of the Department of Education, paid sick leave, deficit reduction, and investing in education, the environment, and our infrastructure. Senator Gramm represents the extreme of his political party, I represent everyday Americans who want real tax relief, a balanced budget, and investments in education, health care, our infrastructure, and rebuilding our communities that suffered under the failed economic policies promoted by Senator Gramm and Speaker Gingrich. I humbly ask for your vote so together, we can prove to ourselves and the world that America will lead into the next millennium" - President Bill Clinton

"Over the course of this campaign, we've debated many issues, made many arguments, and taken very different positions. Today, under Bill Clinton, Americans are uncertain about the future. President Clinton gave us over $800 billion in new debt, the largest tax increase in history, liberal activist judges, drastic cuts to our military, and a federal government that is larger in both size and scope. We Americans rejected Bill Clinton's radical left-wing agenda in 1994. You, the people of this country, said stop the taxing, stop the regulating, and stop the spending. I've heard you as have Republicans in Congress. Unfortunately, this President vetoed tax relief and balanced budgets. Unlike Bill Clinton, I keep my campaign promises. I ran for office to expand opportunity for every American and get government out of the way. I fought for the Reagan agenda that cut taxes, reduced regulations, and rebuilt our military. I opposed Presidents Bush and Clinton when they sought to raise taxes, and I stopped Bill Clinton's government takeover of our health care system. During the course of this campaign, I've signed a pledge to voters across the nation. The pledge is simple. I'll implement economic policies aimed at lowering taxes and embracing free enterprise. I'll fight for social policies to promote a culture of life and respect for the constitution. And I'll strengthen our military and not use our troops for nation building. My fellow Americans, I humbly ask for your vote so together, we can fight for less government and more freedom in America" - U.S. Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX)
BushKerry04

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »

November 5, 1996 - Gramm wins Presidency, GOP keeps Congress

Popular Vote:
Phil Gramm/Elizabeth Dole (R) 45%
Bill Clinton/Al Gore (D) 43%
Ross Perot/Jerry Brown (I) 11%

Electoral College
Gramm 273
Clinton 265

Exit Polls: Conservatives elected Gramm, Perot cost Clinton

By Ideology:
Conservative - Gramm 91% Perot 5% Clinton 3%
Moderate - Clinton 44% Gramm 41% Perot 14%
Liberal - Clinton 81% Perot 14% Gramm 4%

By Political Party:
Republican - Gramm 86% Perot 8% Clinton 5%
Independent - Clinton 45% Gramm 43% Perot 11%
Democratic - Clinton 82% Perot 10% Gramm 7%

By Race:
White - Gramm 53% Clinton 35% Perot 11%
Hispanic/Latino - Clinton 52% Gramm 40% Perot 7%
Black - Clinton 94% Perot 3% Gramm 2%
Asian - Clinton 50% Gramm 42% Perot 7%
Other - Clinton 77% Gramm 20% Perot 2%

By Area:
Rural - Gramm 60% Clinton 28% Perot 11%
Suburban - Gramm 47% Clinton 42% Perot 10%
Urban - Clinton 61% Gramm 30% Perot 8%

By Region:
Northeast - Clinton 57% Gramm 33% Perot 9%
Midwest - Gramm 43% Clinton 41% Perot 15%
Rocky Mountains - Gramm 74% Clinton 23% Perot 2%
South - Gramm 46% Clinton 42% Perot 11%
Southwest - Clinton 45% Gramm 45% Perot 9%

By Income:
Under $40K -  Clinton 60% Gramm 30% Perot 9%
$40K-$60K - Clinton 55% Gramm 30% Perot 14%
$60K-$85K - Clinton 45% Gramm 44% Perot 10%
$85K-$150K - Gramm 52% Clinton 40% Perot 7%
$150K-$500K - Gramm 60% Clinton 32% Perot 7%
$500K-$1 million - Gramm 71% Clinton 21% Perot 5%
Above $1 million - Gramm 81% Clinton 15% Perot 3%

By Most Important Issue:
Economy - Gramm 42% Clinton 40% Perot 17%
Debt - Perot 40% Gramm 39% Clinton 20%
National Security - Clinton 50% Gramm 47% Perot 2%
Crime - Gramm 48% Clinton 42% Perot 9%
Health Care - Gramm 47% Clinton 45% Perot 7%
Entitlement Programs - Clinton 60% Perot 25% Gramm 14%
Education - Clinton 46% Gramm 43% Perot 10%

Is the U.S. economy better, worse, or the same today than it was in 1992?
Better 44%
Worse 40%
Same 10%

Candidate and running-mate favorability
Phil Gramm - 57% Favorable 39% Unfavorable
Bill Clinton 59% Favorable 40% Unfavorable
Ross Perot 51% Favorable 42% Unfavorable
Elizabeth Dole 60% Favorable 38% Unfavorable
Al Gore 55% Favorable 41% Unfavorable
Jerry Brown 49% Favorable 42% Unfavorable

Candidate/Running-mate home state results
Texas - Gramm 58% Clinton 30% Perot 11%
North Carolina - Gramm 57% Clinton 34% Perot 8%
Arkansas - Clinton 53% Gramm 37% Perot 10%
Tennessee - Gramm 45% Clinton 44% Perot 10%
California - Clinton 64% Gramm 20% Perot 15%

Perot Voters second choice:
Bill Clinton 49%
Phil Gramm 41%
Neither/Undecided 10%
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »

So Perot was a spoiler in 1996 this timeline?Huh I can't think of any other way Graham wins the election while losing both moderates and independents.
BushKerry04

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

So Perot was a spoiler in 1996 this timeline?Huh I can't think of any other way Graham wins the election while losing both moderates and independents.

Correct. Gramm won conservative votes Dole didn't.

January 20, 1997 - Phil Gramm sworn-in as President of the United States

The Gramm Administration
Vice President Elizabeth Dole
Secretary of State John McCain
Secretary of the Treasury Paul Volcker 
Secretary of Defense Collin Powell
Attorney General Richard K. Willard
Secretary of the Interior Conrad Burns
Secretary of Agriculture Terry Branstad 
Secretary of Commerce Steve Forbes
Secretary of Labor Alice Walton 
Secretary of Health and Human Services Lamar Alexander 
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Pete Wilson
Secretary of Transportation Tommy Thompson
Secretary of Energy Dick Armey
Secretary of Education Jeb Bush
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Bob Dole 
White House Chief of Staff Steve Merrill
United States Trade Representative Peter Geren 
Director of National Intelligence Sean O'Keefe
Ambassador to the United Nations John Lehman
Director of the Office of Management and Budget John Kasich
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency William Cohen
Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Zell Miller   
Administrator of the Small Business Administration Steve Case

The Leadership of both political parties, January 20, 1997 - January 20, 2001

Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
House Majority Leader Dick Zimmer (R-NJ)
House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt (D-MO)
House Minority Whip Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Dick Lugar (R-IN)
U.S. Senate Majority Whip Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
U.S. Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD)
U.S. Senate Minority Whip John Kerry (D-MA)
RNC Chair Michael Reagan
DNC Chair Bob Kerrey

Key events of the Gramm administration, January 20, 1997 - January 1, 1999

January 27, 1997 - President Gramm signs Deficit Reduction and Balanced Budget Act of 1997 into law: President Phil Gramm signed into law legislation, passed along party lines, to balance the federal budget by FY1999 and eliminate the deficit. The legislation reduces the rate of domestic spending increases by 90%, reduces the rate of defense spending increases by 10%, abolishes some corporate tax loopholes, reduces farm subsidies by 80%, and block-grants funding for medicaid and housing vouchers to states. President Gramm and House Speaker Newt Gingrich wrote and fought for the passage of the legislation.
March 15, 1997 - President Gramm signs repeal of Clinton tax increase into law, Congress divided over Gramm 15% flat tax proposal: President Phil Gramm signed legislation, passed along party lines, that immediately repeals Bill Clinton's 1993 tax increase. However, moderate Republicans oppose Gramm's proposed 15% flat income tax, arguing that it would increase the deficit. Democrats also oppose the flat tax, arguing it favors the wealthiest Americans.
June 17, 1997 - President Gramm doubles border patrol agents: President Phil Gramm signed an executive order doubling the number of border patrol agents at the U.S.-Mexican border.
October 12, 1997 - Gramm, Republicans make deal on tax cuts; Gramm signs tax reform into law: President Phil Gramm signed into law a tax cut package agreed to by moderates and conservatives in Congress in conjunction with the Gramm administration. The new law establishes two tax rates - a flat, 15% rate on income between $35,000 and $150,000 and a flat, 30% rate on income above $150,000. Additionally, the corporate tax rate will be gradually lowered to 20% by the year 2002.
January 17, 1998 - President Gramm signs three new free trade agreements into law: Despite opposition from House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt and 134 of 207 House Democrats, President Phil Gramm signed into law three new free trade agreements with Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru.
March 21, 1998 - President Gramm signs bi-partisan Police Support and Crime Reduction Act of 1998 into law: President Phil Gramm signed into law legislation increasing federal grants for local police departments by $7 billion and increasing federal mandatory sentences for drug dealers and those convicted of violent crimes. The legislation passed the U.S. Senate 97-3 and the House 325-100. House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt, House Speaker Newt Gingrich, and U.S. Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott worked closely with Gramm on the legislation.
June 15, 1998 - President Gramm signs legislation banning partial-birth abortion: With just two Senate Democrats and eight House Democrats opposing the legislation, Congress passed and President Gramm signed into law the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 1998 into law, banning abortion in the third trimester. Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania and House Speaker Newt Gingrich wrote and sponsored the legislation.
November 3, 1998 - Republicans maintain Control of Congress: Republicans maintained control of the House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate. In Congress, Republicans gained two seats and therefore control 229 seats, compared with 205 seats for the Democrats. In the U.S. Senate, Republicans gained just one seat - Congressman John Ensign of Nevada defeated Incumbent U.S. Senator Harry Reid by just 257 votes. Republicans hold 56 senate seats compared with 44 seats for Democrats.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »

So in this world, both parties are gonna claim Perot spoiled an election for them, with the GOP crying foul about 1992 and the Democrats crying spoiler about 1996, although due to the fact that Democrat Jerry Brown was Perot's running mate in this timeline and considering Clinton narrowly won both moderates and independents, the Democrats would actually have a case about Perot being a spoiler (at least more of one than the GOP would have about 1992).
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 11:38:22 PM »

Can't wait to see how this develops!
BushKerry04

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »

So in this world, both parties are gonna claim Perot spoiled an election for them, with the GOP crying foul about 1992 and the Democrats crying spoiler about 1996, although due to the fact that Democrat Jerry Brown was Perot's running mate in this timeline and considering Clinton narrowly won both moderates and independents, the Democrats would actually have a case about Perot being a spoiler (at least more of one than the GOP would have about 1992).

Excellent observations. I agree 100%.

Can't wait to see how this develops!

Thanks!

January 18, 1999 - Tom Harkin running for President

IOWA CITY, IA - U.S. Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa became the first Democrat to announce a run for President in the 2000 election. Positioning himself as a pragmatic progressive, Harkin said he felt too many Americans, particularly farmers, single moms, veterans, and educators, were left behind. Harkin pledged to create a new childcare program, expand health care access, create a new federal program aimed at helping farmers make ends meet during tough years, and expanding school choice. "The heartland of America needs a champion in the white house, and I want to be that champion. Too many Americans are being left behind because the President believes in trickle-down economics," Harkin declared.

February 1, 1999 - Al Gore launches Presidential Campaign

NASHVILLE, TN - Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore announced he would run for President in 2000. Gore, who most observers believe is the front-runner for the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination, touted his experience and desire to fight for stricter environmental laws, an overhaul of the public education system, tax cuts for lower-income Americans, and repealing Phil Gramm's tax increase for the wealthiest Americans to balance the federal budget. "In Congress and as Vice President, I fought for policies that have helped working Americans get ahead. I've fought to invest in the American people in a fiscally responsible manner. That's why I'm running for President, so we can invest in America again," Gore told supporters.

February 15, 1999 - Carper running for President

DOVER, DE - Governor of Delaware Tom Carper announced he would run for President in the 2000 election. Carper, serving his second-term as Governor of Delaware, is running as a Washington outsider and fierce opponent of Phil Gramm's economic policies. Carper pledged to roll back the President's tax cuts, repeal welfare reform and let states craft their own welfare policies, and increase funding for education and infrastructure. "I'm running for President to solve problems for the American people. We've transformed Delaware's economy and cared for the vulnerable. We've done what Washington D.C. has failed to do right here in the first state," Carper declared.

March 2, 1999 - Warren Buffett to run for President

LINCOLN, NE - Billionaire Warren Buffett announced he would run for President in the 2000 election. Buffett emphasized that he would run as a center-left Democrat committed to tax fairness, expanding health care coverage, raising the federal minimum wage, and taking on corruption, both in Congress and on Wall Street. "I have lived the American dream, and now I'm ready to help level the playing field so every single working American can have a real chance at the same dream," Buffett told supporters.

April 10, 1999 - Dick Gephardt running for President

MANCHESTER, NH - House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt became the 5th Democrat to announce a presidential bid in the 2000 presidential primaries. Gephardt voiced his support for reversing free trade agreements, universal health care, reversing the Gramm tax cuts for the wealthy, and doubling federal taxpayer funding for college education. Gephardt told supporters that he has "Al Gore's experience and Warren Buffett's liberal ideals." "I'm Dick Gephardt, and I'm running for President to fight for Americans middle class and restore opportunity for everyone," Gephardt told a crowd of supporters in New Hampshire.

May 17, 1999 - Bill Bradley to run for President

JERSEY CITY, NJ - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley announced that he would run for President in the 2000 election. Bradley, running to the left of every candidate, called for doubling the federal minimum wage over three years, medicare for all paid for by a 42% wealth tax, amnesty for most undocumented immigrants, and the implementation of a cap and trade system to combat toxic waste. "I'm running for President to fight for social and economic justice. Let's work together to make this world a better place by advancing our progressive values," Bradley declared.

BushKerry04

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »

ephardt poll best; Gramm approval 51%[/b]

DEM Presidential Nomination
Al Gore 20%
Dick Gephardt 20%
Warren Buffett 15%
Bill Bradley 10%
Tom Carper 5%
Tom Harkin 2%
Undecided 23%

Gramm approval
Approve: 51%
Disapprove: 40%

August 23, 1999 - Democrats participate in first debate of 2000 campaign season, trade barbs

"I made the decision to run for President in the year 2000 because what I've seen under this administration is that as the wealthy gain more wealth, we are leaving too many middle class and working Americans behind. My experience in Congress fighting against free trade agreements supported by this administration and stopping the Republicans from gutting medicare and medicaid prepares me to fight on behalf of every single American as President. I'll fight so every American has access to health insurance, we reverse trade agreements like NAFTA and the agreement with Peru that sends jobs overseas, and to balance the budget not by cutting investments in education and health care, but by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share. As Democrats, we need to nominate the candidate with the ability to win and the experience to lead and fight for those who've been left behind under this President, and I believe I'm that candidate" - Dick Gephardt

"In a difficult state for Democrats, I have won election after election. I have stood tall for the values of the Democratic Party for my entire career. I opposed cuts to environmental protection and education proposed by the Republicans during the 1980s, though I also stood with Presidents Reagan and Bush in pursuing an end to the Cold War. As Vice President, I visited dozens of countries and promoted peace, fought for stricter environmental protections here at home, and fought for equal rights for all Americans. For three decades, I've been involved in every major economic, foreign policy, and social debate our country has had. My experience prepares me to fight for an overhaul of our public education system where we reward teachers for merit and reduce class sizes to increase individualized attention for our students. My experience prepares me to reverse this administration's tax breaks for the very wealthy to balance the budget. My experience prepares me to work with Congress to combat toxic waste. I'm ready to lead America on day one" - Al Gore

"With all due respect to Vice President Gore and Leader Gephardt, I don't believe experience in Washington D.C. is what we need in our next President. Phil Gramm has plenty experience in Washington D.C. I come from the business world and we need a President who has experience in the private sector. Government should try to level the playing field for working Americans so they can realize the American dream. Raising the minimum wage, investing in job training programs, updating our infrastructure, expanding internet access in public schools and libraries, placing a decade long ban on members of Congress lobbying, and giving tax breaks to companies that invest in American energy and manufacturing are all policies I'd pursue in an innovative way. What I mean by that is, I'll get it done. I'll sit down with Congress, proposal laws and show them evidence that those laws will work, and then I'll answer any questions they have. As progressives, we need to stop caving to the Republicans. Frankly, it's going to take a businessman and Washington outsider to do just that" - Warren Buffett

"A lot of people tell me that I have no chance of becoming President in this election. Despite my record of working with both political parties on complex issues like tax reform and entitlement reform, I'm told that I'm an idealist who won't be able to govern if I somehow do become President. Friends, I am not the establishment candidate in this race. I'm running for President because I believe we Democrats lost the elections of 1996 and 1998 because we forgot our progressive principles. We should balance the budget, but we should also invest in health care for everyone, implement a cap and trade system to encourage businesses to act in an environmentally friendly fashion, and we should fight for social justice by ensuring that people are employed and able to attend college regardless of their racial, ethnic, or religious background. I'm running for President to stop the racial and economic inequality in our country today, and I believe that I can bring our party to victory in the year 2000" - Bill Bradley

"The economic and fiscal policies of this administration have focused far too much attention on the federal budget and CBO numbers and not enough on what is best for the American people. Let me tell you who I'm fighting for in this election. I'm fighting for the farmer who feeds our country, but can't rely on a stable income because this administration has tried to gut the farm income stabilization program. I'm fighting for the single-mom who is struggling to balance work and family commitments because this administration cut funding for childcare funding. I'm fighting for the family unable to afford health insurance because this administration opposes expanding medicaid in a way that helps cover more Americans with health insurance. As Democrats, we need to prove to the American people that we are fighting for them and not just bickering in Washington D.C." - Tom Harkin

"I am the one candidate in this race who has been the Chief Executive of a government and I know what leadership is about. Leadership is about bringing people into a room, working out differences, and getting positive things done for everyone. Leadership is about recognizing and being honest about what you can and can't do. In Delaware, I fought for the largest investments in our state's infrastructure in history, supported tax incentives for job creation in rural parts of our state, and increased funding for police to crack down on crime in our inner-city. As President, I want to invest in America, not in tax breaks for the wealthy. This President had his chance to improve education, invest in our infrastructure, and reduce crime in our urban communities, and he's failed. I want to roll back the President's tax cuts and instead invest in America again, and I have the leadership capabilities to get the job done" - Tom Carper 

September 1, 1999 - Gore rolls out endorsements from the Clintons, Carter, Governors

NASHVILLE, TN - Democratic Presidential Hopeful and Former Vice President Al Gore's campaign rolled out several high profile endorsements. Former First Lady Hillary Clinton, as well as Former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter endorsed Gore, as did Governors Gray Davis of California, Parris Glendening of Maryland, John Kitzhabler of Oregon, Howard Dean of Vermont, Paul Patton of Kentucky, Jeanne Shaheen, Gary Locke of Washington, Tony Knowles of Alaska, and Tom Vilsack of Iowa.

September 8, 1999 - Washington D.C. Democrats line up behind Dick Gephardt

ST. LOUIS, MO - House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, a candidate for the Democratic Presidential nomination, announced that 107 of the 211 House Democrats endorsed his candidacy for President, as had 19 of the 46 Democrats in the U.S. Senate. Most of Gephardt's support in Congress and the U.S. Senate comes from the party's liberal wing, including U.S. Senators Dianne Feinstein of California, Barbara Boxer of California, Harry Reid of Nevada, and Barbara Milkulski of Maryland and Representatives Nancy Pelosi of California, Shelia Jackson Lee of Texas, Charlie Rangel of New York, and Barney Frank of Massachusetts. U.S. Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle also endorsed Gephardt for President.

October 12, 1999 - Liberal activists, Michael Jordan endorse Bill Bradley for President

MONTCLAIR, NJ - The presidential campaign of Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley announced that NBA Player Michael Jordan, Moveon.Org, U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, and NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC were supporting Bradley's candidacy for President. The campaign touted the endorsements as proof that Bradley is the "true progressive" in the race for President.
BushKerry04

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »

November 7, 1999 - President Gramm officially launches re-election campaign

MIAMI BEACH, FL - President Phil Gramm officially launched his campaign for re-election at an event in Miami Beach, Florida. Touting the creation of over 12 million new jobs, a 42% reduction in welfare rolls, three balanced budgets, the lowest rate of poverty in decades, and a reduction in urban crime, the President said he would fight for entitlement reform, increased border security, school choice and vouchers, tort reform, and  the appointment of more conservative judges if re-elected President in 2000. "Today, America is clearly better off than we were on this day in 1996. But this campaign isn't about yesterday or even today, it's about tomorrow and the next day. Our work fighting for less government and more freedom has paid off, but we have more work to do, and I intend to continue to fight for you and your family," the President stated. 

November 23, 1999 - Poll: Gephardt, Gore remain front-runners nationally, in early states; Gramm remains popular

Gramm Approval
Approve 56%
Disapprove 41%

National Democratic Primary
Al Gore 30%
Dick Gephardt 28%
Warren Buffett 10%
Bill Bradley 10%
Tom Carper 5%
Tom Harkin 3%
Undecided 14%

Iowa Caucuses
Dick Gephardt 21%
Tom Harkin 20%
Al Gore 20%
Bill Bradley 18%
Warren Buffett 10%
Tom Carper 2%
Undecided 7%

New Hampshire Primary
Al Gore 25%
Dick Gephardt 23%
Bill Bradley 21%
Warren Buffett 12%
Tom Carper 9%
Tom Harkin 6%
Undecided 4%

South Carolina Primary
Al Gore 33%
Dick Gephardt 30%
Bill Bradley 12%
Warren Buffett 10%
Tom Carper 5%
Tom Harkin 3%
Undecided 7%

General election match-ups

Phil Gramm (R) 48% Dick Gephardt (D) 42%
Phil Gramm (R) 50% Al Gore (D) 41%
Phil Gramm (R) 48% Bill Bradley (D) 44%
Phil Gramm (R) 50% Warren Buffett (D) 41%
Phil Gramm (R) 50% Tom Harkin (D) 38%
Phil Gramm (R) 50% Tom Carper (D) 38%

December 1, 1999 - BREAKING: Perot won't run for President in 2000, praises Gramm

DETROIT, MI - Former Independent Presidential Hopeful Ross Perot ended speculation that he would again seek the presidency in 2000 during a speech to the Detroit Economic Club. While Perot criticized President Phil Gramm's free trade policies, he praised the President's fiscal policies. "Phil Gramm has done what no other President in modern history, with the possible exception of Ronald Reagan, has done. He's done exactly what he said he'd do and while I may not like his trade policies, the budget deficits are down and he's actually cut taxes more for middle and lower income Americans than the wealthy. We have balanced budgets and increased tax revenue, things are looking great," Perot stated.

December 10, 1999 - Television ads on the air in early primary states

"Back"
NARRATOR: The American comeback is here. 12 million new jobs and the lowest unemployment in a generation, the largest tax relief in history, a balanced federal budget, welfare rolls down by 42%, and urban crime down 57%. That's Phil Gramm's record.
PHIL GRAMM: I'm running for re-election because while we have done a lot to improve our economy and restore fiscal sanity to Washington D.C., our work is far from over. We need to preserve social security and medicaid, enact tort reform to reduce health care costs, expand school choice, and continue to balance the budget and keep taxes low.
NARRATOR: President Gramm. Proven conservative leadership that's working.

"Unite"
NARRATOR: He's the one Democrat who can unite our party and defeat Phil Gramm. Dick Gephardt has fought for working families for his entire adult life. Gephardt opposed trade deals that sent jobs overseas, fought to invest in public education, and stopped Republicans from gutting medicare and medicaid. Now Dick Gephardt is running for President, to provide health insurance for the uninsured, repeal trade agreements that send jobs overseas, and to end Phil Gramm's tax breaks for the rich to balance the budget. Gephardt for President. Experienced Leadership. Real Solutions.

"Chance"
AL GORE: The next President of the United States will have the honor to lead America into a new millennium. As a country, this is our chance to shine. It's our chance to show the world that when we promote peace globally and social and economic equality here at home, we improve the quality of life for everyone. By standing tall for human rights and to end world hunger on the international stage and taking on corporate polluters and the pharmaceutical companies here at home, we have the chance to truly make a difference in our own lives and those of millions of people around the globe. That's my vision for America, and it's why I'm running for President.
NARRATOR: Al Gore for President. Fighting for us.

"Work"
BILL BRADLEY: During my time in the United States Senate, I never saw things in partisan terms. When I fought for bi-partisan tax reform and stood with members of both political parties for sweeping ethics reform, I did so because it was the right thing to do. As President, I'll work with both political parties to promote civil rights, tax policy that benefits small business and working families, and protecting our air, water, and open spaces. I'm Bill Bradley, and I'm running for President to reclaim America for this generation and the next.

"Career"
WARREN BUFFETT: I'm Warren Buffett and I'm running for President because the career politicians have given you, the American worker, a raw deal. The politicians and the special interests have sent our jobs overseas, given tax subsidies to the wealthiest individuals and corporations, and they've failed to invest in you. My promise to you is very simple. I'll invest in you because I believe in you. I'll support a higher minimum wage, universal paid sick leave, and rolling back the President's tax cuts for the wealthy to invest in higher education, job training, and tax incentives that encourage manufacturing in the communities that have been devastated thanks to NAFTA. Join me and together, we'll take our country back.

"Only"
NARRATOR: Tom Carper is the only candidate for President who's led a state. The only candidate for President who's actually balanced budgets and cut taxes for working families. The only candidate for President who's increased funding for education and infrastructure. While Gore and Gephardt may talk, Tom Carper is the only one who's actually cracked down on corporate pollution. Tom Carper for President. Leadership we can trust.

"Concerns"
TOM HARKIN: I'm Tom Harkin. For far too long, candidates for President have talked about policy from terms familiar in the halls of Congress, but not to the American people. My concern isn't with CBO numbers and procedure, it's with protecting the American farmer, standing up for our veterans, helping single mother's, and getting drugs out of our schools. Unfortunately, too much of what we do today doesn't address the concerns of the American people. I'll change that as President.
NARRATOR: Tom Harkin for President. Our voice for change.

BushKerry04

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2017, 10:25:48 PM by BushKerry04 »

January 24, 2000 - Gephardt wins Iowa Caucuses, Harkin withdrawals from Presidential Race

Dick Gephardt 28%
Tom Harkin 26%
Al Gore 21%
Bill Bradley 15%
Warren Buffett 7%
Tom Carper 2%

February 1, 2000 - Bradley defies the odds, wins New Hampshire primary

Bill Bradley 31%
Dick Gephardt 30%
Al Gore 29%
Warren Buffett 7%
Tom Carper 2%

February 5, 2000 - Carper wins Delaware primary

Tom Carper 60%
Dick Gephardt 15%
Bill Bradley 15%
Al Gore 8%
Warren Buffett 1%

February 8, 2000 - POLL: Gephardt leads Democratic field, Gore down, Bradley up

National:
Dick Gephardt 35%
Bill Bradley 30%
Al Gore 22%
Warren Buffett 10%
Tom Carper 1%

February 29, 2000 - Gephardt wins Washington primary, Buffett withdrawals from Presidential race

Dick Gephardt 38%
Bill Bradley 30%
Al Gore 22%
Warren Buffett 8%
Tom Carper 1%

March 5, 2000 - BREAKING: Gore ends presidential bid, endorses Gephardt for President

ATLANTA, GA - Former Vice President Al Gore announced that he would end his bid for the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination and endorse House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt for President. "Dick Gephardt has the right experience to not only win this election, but to help working families get ahead," Gore said of his former opponent.
BushKerry04

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »

March 7, 2000 - Super Tuesday: Gephardt wins 10 contests, Bradley wins 6 contests, Carper withdrawals and endorses Gephardt

California - Gephardt 41% Bradley 40% Carper 18%
Connecticut - Bradley 48% Gephardt 40% Carper 11%
Georgia - Gephardt 60% Bradley 30% Carper 9%
Hawaii - Gephardt 45% Bradley 40% Carper 14%
Idaho - Gephardt 72% Bradley 20% Carper 7%
Maine - Bradley 50% Gephardt 41% Carper 8%
Maryland - Gephardt 40% Bradley 39% Carper 20%
Massachusetts - Bradley 45% Gephardt 40% Carper 14%
Missouri - Gephardt 77% Bradley 20% Carper 2%
New York - Bradley 46% Gephardt 41% Carper 12%
North Dakota - Gephardt 55% Bradley 35% Carper 9%
Ohio - Gephardt 61% Bradley 30% Carper 8%