Alberta Municipal Elections: October 16, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta Municipal Elections: October 16, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta Municipal Elections: October 16, 2017  (Read 6468 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »

Long lines at the polls in Calgary.  Some polling stations may stay open there for at least one more hour.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:23:49 AM »

Global has now called it for Nenshi.  Looks like Mainstreet will have an egg on their face, although to be fair their polls where parties exist have generally been fairly accurate so for provincial and federal I still trust them, but for municipal and also riding polls too they have a pretty lousy record so I ignore them.  

As for trends, it does show progressives are still strong, but the tide might be ebbing a bit, still if you are the NDP provincially or Liberals federally there is some hope in Calgary, but again David Broncommier who was a federal Liberal won easily when Calgary was voting PC provincially and Tory federally.

I wonder if the blame belongs on Mainstreet.  I know this might make me sound like an idiot Trump type, but I wonder if PostMedia isn't responsible for the polls as their newspapers (along with Global News Television and Chorus Media Radio are clearly trying to push a conservative agenda and I think clearly the "Nenshi's impending defeat shows left wing on the ropes (in the entire west, anyway)" was something they were promoting.

There are a few contrary voices at these outlets, mainly Andrew Coyne and one or two others, but there is clearly a large amount of 'astroturf' OUTRAGE! with the proposed small business tax changes, as well as, especially in Alberta, that, if it weren't for the Federal and various provincial governments that the pipelines (and natural gas extraction projects in British Columbia) would have gone ahead, and not that the sustained decline in oil and gas prices were the main reason the companies pulled out.

The sleazy and dishonest Claudia Cattaneo along with the sleazy and dishonest John Ivison seem to be the main people at PostMedia behind this.  The dimwitted Vassy Kapelos is the main person behind this at Global, though her routine seems to be simply blaming governments for every problem, and doesn't seem to be part of any right wing agenda.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »

It still says something that 58% turnout is considered excellent or stunning as opposed to say 95% turnout.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:50:14 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2017, 01:43:14 AM by 136or142 »

Mainstream Research has released its internal report into its failures during the Calgary municipal election.

"Mainstreet Research says its internal investigation into the polling failures that led the firm to wrongly predict Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi would lose the October municipal election concludes they were caused by a "perfect storm" of factors.

This includes a failure to poll in non-official languages, a tendency among Nenshi voters not to respond to the firm's polls, and — most crucially — a misgauging of youth voter turnout and their voting intentions, Mainstreet said in a release Monday morning."

Anybody think they were paid by Post Media to come up with fake results?  I don't want to get into loony conspiracy theories and 'fake polls' but there did seem to be a coordinated campaign at Post Media to defeat Nenshi and a number of credible people prior to the election did wonder if the Mainstreet polls, which were quite different from the other firm polling the race, seriously asked this question.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies