SB 2017-133: Regulations for Sex Work in Atlasia Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-133: Regulations for Sex Work in Atlasia Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2017-133: Regulations for Sex Work in Atlasia Act (Passed)  (Read 1418 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »
« edited: October 25, 2017, 04:43:56 PM by Senator Scott, PPT🍂 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Siren

I hereby open the floor for debate.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »

Oh good! I'm glad to see this bill come to the floor. I know this is one of those controversial moral issues with strong opinions on both sides, so there will probably be debate and I welcome that. I want to start by saying, though, that I don't see this as an issue between supporting or opposing sex work. Instead, I see it as an issue between getting something out in the open where we can monitor, regulate, and keep track of it so we know that everyone is being treated well, or trying to ban something that governments have tried to ban unsuccessfully for pretty much all of human history and having the unintended consequence of keeping it all in the shadows, making life worse for the people who still end up doing it.

The main problem with the ban on sex work is that when something is banned, that means it isn't regulated. Facilities are more likely to be dirty, workers are more likely to be victimized or taken advantage of by their employers or clients, and when those things happen, they are afraid to go to the police because the work they are doing is against the law. This is something that I firmly believe needs to be legalized and regulated by the government. Sex work isn't going away. Those kinds of desires are in our biology, whether its wanting human contact or whatever. I'm not going to judge sex workers or the people that pay money to see them. The thing that bothers me about prostitution is when people are taken advantage of and feel like they have nowhere to turn. I think Atlasia needs a policy that treats everyone involved as the human beings that they are, while ensuring strong regulations in the name of public safety and individual protections.

In full disclosure, I shamelessly used 2 bills that were written about 4 years or so that I thought were really done. Some parts of the bill are pretty much straight up taken from those and other parts I modified, removed, or added things in order to make it my own. I hope that the people who wrote and worked on those bills won't be offended by that. Smiley
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »

I love this bill and glad to see this brought to the floor!

As someone who is very much a supporter of legalization and regulation of sex work, I'm glad to see that Senator Siren has taken the initiative to get this introduced, and thank her for making this one of her priorities. Simply put, this is a common-sense bill that protects both sex workers and their clients, and opens up so many economic possibilities by having earnings taxed as any other income.

While this may be a very controversial issue, I hope that the regulations tied to this bill help ease concerns some may have, and I hope that I am still in office by the time this passes, as it would have my full support if it makes it to my desk to sign!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »

My qualms about this bill are practical rather than moral. Under this law, a licensed sex worked will have to overcome quite a few bureaucratic hurdles; they will have to reapply for a license every 90 days, undergo frequent documented STI tests and be required to be pedantic bookkeepers as all of their transactions will be taxed.

I'm not sure if the bureaucratization of sex work will have its desired effects; the sheer amount of testing, documenting and the taxes which will be levied could deter many sex workers from seeking legal recognition of their jobs.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »

My qualms about this bill are practical rather than moral. Under this law, a licensed sex worked will have to overcome quite a few bureaucratic hurdles; they will have to reapply for a license every 90 days, undergo frequent documented STI tests and be required to be pedantic bookkeepers as all of their transactions will be taxed.

I'm not sure if the bureaucratization of sex work will have its desired effects; the sheer amount of testing, documenting and the taxes which will be levied could deter many sex workers from seeking legal recognition of their jobs.

I see what you're saying. Would you prefer less frequent tests or some other kind of set up?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »

I definitely like the idea of protecting sex workers from overt exploitation and making their jobs as safe as possible for all parties involved. Senator ZuWo made a valid point about the bureaucratization of sex work, but by the same token, law enforcement will also have to pick up the pace by managing a newly legalized industry with a large capacity for future growth. We should make sure that if we're going to recognize sex work, that law enforcement agencies will have the necessary resources to regulate these activities from the beginning. That's why I'm wondering if we can include some funding mechanism in this bill to address these concerns.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

I see what you're saying. Would you prefer less frequent tests or some other kind of set up?

Regular STI testing is necessary but fewer tests would certainly be a step in the right direction when it comes to prevent too much bureaucratization.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »

I'm fine with including a funding mechanism. Any suggestions on what it should be?

As far as the testing frequency, what interval would people prefer?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »

As far as the testing frequency, what interval would people prefer?

How about 180 rather than 90 days? Or at least 120?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 04:41:59 AM »

I'm going to put forward an amendment on Section 2, then:

In order to debureaucratize (I hope this is an actual English word) the bill, I've changed all of the 90-day periods to 180-day periods. Penalties for not taking an STI test or failing to provide at least one form of contraception have been raised accordingly.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »

Do any other senators have opinions on the interval? I'm inclined to say friendly, but I'd like to hear what people think.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »

I support this bill. I believe that making sex work legal and regulating it will increase safety and sanitary conditions associated with such work.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 05:42:47 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2017, 05:59:58 AM by Senator Scott, PPT🍂 »

I think 180 days is appropriate, and I fully support the aims of this bill.  While I don't personally support sex work from a moral standpoint, outlawing the practice has had adverse effects for sex workers whom are often subject to physical abuse as well as unsafe working conditions which often lead to contraction of STDs and unwanted pregnancies.

With that said, I feel it would be wise of us to stiffen penalties against illegal pimping and human traffickers who might seek to abuse liberalized prostitution laws.  Both the old Northeast and Mideast regions passed laws (based on RL statute) criminalizing human trafficking and creating a support network for victims of trafficking.

Whether we amend the current bill to include these protections or pass a different bill that achieves the same ends, these provisions absolutely should be on our books to ensure the health and safety of the people affected.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »

Okay I'll call the amendment friendly then.

I would totally support more/better human trafficking laws. In fact, I worked on a bill like that when I was in the South chamber of delegates. I wouldn't object to including those provisions in this bill, but it might make it pretty overly long. Maybe it would be better to have another bill for it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 09:27:00 AM by Senator Scott, PPT🍂 »

Quote from: Restricted
Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »

Does anyone else want to propose any amendment or have comments?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »

I motion for a final vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »

The question is now on the table.  Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: Restricted
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »

Aye.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »

Aye
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 12:35:13 AM »

Aye
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »

Abstain
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »

This has enough votes to pass.  Senators have 24 hours to change their vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies