Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:20:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Active Shooter Situation at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas  (Read 10637 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »

The President refused to call it "domestic terrorism" and did not call for action. I'm sick of politicians trying to grand stand.

We don't know his motives yet, so it would not have been able to immediately call it terrorism. Las Vegas Police are not calling it terrorism at this time.

Trump's address was entirely appropriate, I thought.

His speech wasn't a call to action, it was useless grandstanding. Thus, it was inappropriate.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »

The President refused to call it "domestic terrorism" and did not call for action. I'm sick of politicians trying to grand stand.

We don't know his motives yet, so it would not have been able to immediately call it terrorism. Las Vegas Police are not calling it terrorism at this time.

His speech wasn't a call to action, it was useless grandstanding. Thus, it was inappropriate.

Where was the grandstanding? It was brief, he didn't talk about himself, and he didn't politicize the situation. Would you rather he not say anything after 50 people were murdered and 500+ wounded?

I admit I was concerned about what his statement was going to be, but I was relieved that it ended up being appropriate for the current state of the situation.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »

LVMPD reiterates that there is no apparent connection to international terrorism with respect to the ISIS statement
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »

As a Christian, these folks are in my prayers, but I also will act on my thoughts. I don't know what I can do beyond donate blood, but this has gone on for too long.

Donating blood is certainly a wonderful place to start when it comes to helping victims in times of tragedy, and something I hope many consider doing if they can.

I can't even begin to properly express how horrifying this situation is, and I can't even begin to imagine what the folks who were there and their loved ones must be feeling at this time. I certainly hope that they find the love and healing that they need to get through this at this time.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 10:51:19 AM by publicunofficial »

It'd be awesome if this kind of act never happened again but that means going after the stupid hobby for wannabe army men.

Side note: Wayne Allan Root is a craven, horrific, cruel sh**head and I hate that he's probably the most famous person in America that shares my last name.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »

Where was the grandstanding? It was brief, he didn't talk about himself, and he didn't politicize the situation. Would you rather he not say anything after 50 people were murdered and 500+ wounded?

I admit I was concerned about what his statement was going to be, but I was relieved that it ended up being appropriate for the current state of the situation.

I 100% agree.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2017, 11:07:28 AM by VirginiaModerate »

Not to side step this but this came up as a top story in Google News, House poised to pass legalization and easier access to silencers this week https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-10-02/house-poised-to-pass-law-easing-sale-of-gun-silencers-after-las-vegas-shooting

Way wrong time to do this GOP.

Again, 58 dead now per the Clark County sheriff. 515+ injured now per his presser.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »

I 100% agree.

That's the problem. It's a political issue because there's little support for mental health care and even less for gun control (not elimination) from the present administration. I loathe how it's somehow viewed as good to not politicize something that is, at its core, very much political. It's another way of saying: "we don't want to deal with this."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »

I 100% agree.

That's the problem. It's a political issue because there's little support for mental health care and even less for gun control (not elimination) from the present administration. I loathe how it's somehow viewed as good to not politicize something that is, at its core, very much political. It's another way of saying: "we don't want to deal with this."

Obama wasn't tough on guns, at all. 

We need a bit more information on this killer before tossing out labels.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »

I 100% agree.

Obama wasn't tough on guns, at all. 

We need a bit more information on this killer before tossing out labels.

1) Gun control is not a label; it's an issue
2) We don't need to know more because we have plenty of precedent (see Connecticut school shootings, Virginia Tech, etc.)
3) He was tough, but Congress didn't let him actually do anything (see the link below).

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/jan/06/congress-blocked-obama-call-gun-control-mass-shoot/
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »

The death toll is going well over one hundred when all is done and over with.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »

The death toll is going well over one hundred when all is done and over with.

Ugh
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »

Not to side step this but this came up as a top story in Google News, House poised to pass legalization and easier access to silencers this week https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-10-02/house-poised-to-pass-law-easing-sale-of-gun-silencers-after-las-vegas-shooting

Way wrong time to do this GOP.

Again, 58 dead now per the Clark County sheriff. 515+ injured now per his presser.
They had better cancel the vote on this.  Pure evil and greed.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »

Just to be clear, I wasn’t saying we shouldn’t politicize this as a way of addressing the very real and very important issue of easy access to guns in America, only that the first hours after a tragedy isn’t the best time for that debate. At least wait 24 hours or something; that only seems decent, in my opinion.

LVMPD reiterates that there is no apparent connection to international terrorism with respect to the ISIS statement

Honestly, I’m quite curious to see what his motivations were because there’s no strong indication at this point. I mean, targeting a country music concert could, arguably, be a way of attacking a conservative demographic, but there’s no evidence to substantiate that speculation. Regardless of the motivation though, this was a sad act of domestic terrorism.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »

Joseph Lombardo‏ @Sheriff_LVMPD  1h1 hour ago
More
What a great pleasure to speak with our President @realDonaldTrump. Thank you for your phone call, your support and your prayers. #LVMPD
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »

Yes, we don't have all the facts here: for all we know the guy could have used an already illegal gun, which suggests more effort needs to be pushed in enforcing already existing laws. HE doesn't seem to be known by law enforcement, so I assume he wouldn't be caught out by a background check.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

Trump supporters on Twitter are already claiming this to be a leftist attack. It's only a matter of time before their leader starts a Twitter rant repeating these claims.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »

Posted this on AAD:
-------

Jesus...one of my best friends is from Las Vegas and was just visiting his family there a week ago. Also a couple of other friends were talking about the Jason Aldean concert that they had gone to a few days back and how much fun that they had had there.  Cry

Remember that 50+ dead is not merely a statistic. Those numbers represent individual human lives - individuals who each had many more family members, friends, loved ones...I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I lose sight of that simply because the scale is so massive.

RIP, condolences, etc. I unfortunately have no words of comfort or meaning that can adequately address something that frankly, has no meaning - other than as yet another reminder of how just ing fragile life is, and how it can all be over in an instant. Don't take it for granted guys. That goes for me as much as anyone else here. [/quote]
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »

Also, let us all hope our long time poster and friend to some,  Joe Republic (and his family and friends) are well.  Joe is a Vegas resident.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

Also, let us all hope our long time poster and friend to some,  Joe Republic (and his family and friends) are well.  Joe is a Vegas resident.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. Sad
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »

This is a fair take on the situation.

But I think we all know what the so-called President would be saying if the shooter had been black, or named Mohammed, or had prominently supported Democratic candidates. Which is an even worse problem than any one heavily armed murderous nut.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

Looks like an angry white male nut.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »

They're theorizing the motivation was gambling debts on MSNBC.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »

Projecting?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States