Quebec Provincial election October 1, 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:56:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Provincial election October 1, 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
Author Topic: Quebec Provincial election October 1, 2018  (Read 44366 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »

Seems PLQ won a lot of the polls near the US border which I believe has a sizeable Anglophone community. Much of the rest follows what you would expect. Surprised though there is an orange line running the entire north to south of the island of Montreal near Saint Laurent Boulevard. I thought once you got north of the autoroute that was solid PLQ territory due to large Allophone community and only south of it on the east Island did it go QS (previously PQ and also CAQ on the very eastern edges). Also looks like CAQ won more polls on Laval than PLQ so PLQ must have run up the margins more in their pockets of support.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #426 on: October 25, 2018, 06:43:02 AM »

Seems PLQ won a lot of the polls near the US border which I believe has a sizeable Anglophone community. Much of the rest follows what you would expect. Surprised though there is an orange line running the entire north to south of the island of Montreal near Saint Laurent Boulevard. I thought once you got north of the autoroute that was solid PLQ territory due to large Allophone community and only south of it on the east Island did it go QS (previously PQ and also CAQ on the very eastern edges). Also looks like CAQ won more polls on Laval than PLQ so PLQ must have run up the margins more in their pockets of support.

Someone who lives in Montreal might be able to answer: but Maurice-Richard (the riding, formerly Cremazie) has always been competitive between the PQ and PLQ. The PQ held the seat in 2012 when they were gov't. This area, the Ahuntsic and Youville neighborhoods look to be pretty competitive for the left. Federally this area was held by the Bloc->NDP MP Maria Mourani, and in 2015 Ahuntsic still went pretty strongly for the NDP. Project Montreal also won Ahuntsic and Sault-aux-Recollett council seats. It looks like this area is becoming more and more like areas to the south like Laurier-Dorion. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #427 on: October 25, 2018, 08:41:24 AM »

Makes sense. Areas that are closer to Metro stations tend to be more progressive in general.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #428 on: October 25, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »

What stuns me is how well QS did in Bourget. That's something I just can't quite get through my head. I have family who lives in the area, and I spend lots of time in the neighborhood. I guess I can kinda see it in some of the younger professionals relocating out there, but it remains a much older, working-middle class area. Lots of Maghrebi immigrants too.
danny
Israel

« Reply #429 on: October 25, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »

I was looking at Kiryas Tosh in Groulx and it has it's own poll, but unlike all the others, it has no results listed. Does anyone know why? Does it mean no one or not enough people voted?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #430 on: October 25, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »

I was looking at Kiryas Tosh in Groulx and it has it's own poll, but unlike all the others, it has no results listed. Does anyone know why? Does it mean no one or not enough people voted?

I doubt they vote, given life there is as stringent than in Saudi Arabia. The few that did have been merged into poll 0.
danny
Israel

« Reply #431 on: October 25, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »

I doubt they vote, given life there is as stringent than in Saudi Arabia. The few that did have been merged into poll 0.

But life should be relatively similar to such places in the US, and people there do vote. In fact the stringent lifestyle means that the leadership can control the votes causing the political power of the community to increase.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #432 on: October 25, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »

But life should be relatively similar to such places in the US, and people there do vote. In fact the stringent lifestyle means that the leadership can control the votes causing the political power of the community to increase.

It depends on the leadership. There are some Hasidic subgroups in the US that don't vote or that didn't vote until relatively recently.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #433 on: October 25, 2018, 01:37:40 PM »

It's possible that 100% of their vote went to one particular candidate, so their poll had to be merged to predict the confidentiality of the vote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #434 on: October 25, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »

Both would be possible. Voted heavily and 100% for Liberals in 2008, almost no turnout in 2012 (but heavily Liberal), heavily Liberal in 2014.

Federally, also a mix of heavy Liberal, heavy Conservative, mixed or just almost not turnout, depending on the election.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #435 on: October 25, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »

Both would be possible. Voted heavily and 100% for Liberals in 2008, almost no turnout in 2012 (but heavily Liberal), heavily Liberal in 2014.

Federally, also a mix of heavy Liberal, heavy Conservative, mixed or just almost not turnout, depending on the election.

Are there enough Hasidics in Montreal to cause some of the inter community disputes that you see in NY?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies