Trump to hurricane victims: You cost too much, and Katrina was worse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:08:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to hurricane victims: You cost too much, and Katrina was worse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump to hurricane victims: You cost too much, and Katrina was worse  (Read 2466 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »

I just saw a video of him throwing rolls of paper towels into a crowd of Puerto Ricans like he was on a basketball court. What the hell is wrong with him?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »

Trump now rejects plea for Puerto Ricans to utilize Snap benefits for hot food - 1.3 million people directly affected.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/353685-trump-admin-denied-puerto-rico-request-to-let-hurricane-victims-use
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »

Trump now rejects plea for Puerto Ricans to utilize Snap benefits for hot food - 1.3 million people directly affected.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/353685-trump-admin-denied-puerto-rico-request-to-let-hurricane-victims-use

Holy sh*t, he really is trying to make this something worse than Katrina.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »

To make this clear:  the administration granted the waiver to Texas and Florida after the recent hurricanes there

The racial/economic motive behind this is clear.  I have no words.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »

As climate change gets worse, and more and more disasters happen, I totally expect the Republicans to eventually start treating every disaster like they've handled Puerto Rico.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »

People who voted for Trump hoping he would kill political correctness in America might get their wish because I am increasingly unable to find a word to perfectly describe Trump that isn't "retard"

"Cancer" seems like a pretty accurate term, as in "Donald Trump is a cancer upon the world in general and America in particular."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »

To make this clear:  the administration granted the waiver to Texas and Florida after the recent hurricanes there

Un-freakin' believable.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »

Un-freakin' believable.

My expectations for Trump were already unimaginably low, yet he somehow seems to defy even those by sinking lower. If I was Puerto Rican, I'd be agitating for either total statehood or complete independence at this point; no more playing around. The federal government under Trump and the GOP have shown that it has little regard for the lives and wellbeing of residents of US territories.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

He is incapable of empathy. He feels nothing for individuals other than himself. Everytime he has to console Americans he is improvising which is why it looks so awkward and stilted.

Absolutely correct.
The narcissist has no experience to feel for others and their problems, so as you say we see the "awkward" behavior from the Orange-Haired Clown.
I mean really .... tossing paper towels to people, as if they were dogs or animals or something.
It's insane !
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »

He is incapable of empathy. He feels nothing for individuals other than himself. Everytime he has to console Americans he is improvising which is why it looks so awkward and stilted.

Absolutely correct.
The narcissist has no experience to feel for others and their problems, so as you say we see the "awkward" behavior from the Orange-Haired Clown.
I mean really .... tossing paper towels to people, as if they were dogs or animals or something.
It's insane !

I'm just curious.. It has nothing to do with this topic but.. What issues are you actually moderate on?
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »

People who voted for Trump hoping he would kill political correctness in America might get their wish because I am increasingly unable to find a word to perfectly describe Trump that isn't "retard"

If I just saw that transcript in isolation I'd think it was from a fictional parody of Trump like Baldwin on SNL. That's so stupid, it sounds like it's from a Marx Brothers movie.

It would be one thing to not do it generally, but since he saw fit to do it for Florida/Texas there's no reason to not do it here.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »

Today, we witnessed the POTUS treat 3.5 million Puerto Ricans, who are Americans, like subhuman citizens--lobbing paper towels at a crowd, blaming them as an economic burden, and minimizing a catastrophe that has disrupted and/or destroyed the lives of millions.

I'm done. I'm absolutely done.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »

Today, we witnessed the POTUS treat 3.5 million Puerto Ricans, who are Americans, like subhuman citizens--lobbing paper towels at a crowd, blaming them as an economic burden, and minimizing a catastrophe that has disrupted and/or destroyed the lives of millions.

It's sickening and so disheartening... and yet his absolutely rabid base will continue to insist "THE EMPEROR IS WEARING CLOTHES!"
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »

Seriously, this is absolutely horrific... the president is a sick man. He speaks as if it's the Puerto Ricans' own fault that they essentially got hit with an F3 tornado the size of Ohio. Like it's their fault that they're dying in the streets while their electricity goes off, their dams fall, and their death rates shoot up. I can't say I've ever agreed with Donald Trump on much, but this is far beyond what's sadly become the realm of normalcy for our current administration. (Side note; that is an extremely disheartening sentence to write.) It's nothing if not despicable.

You're doing a heckuva job, Mr. President. One heckuva job indeed.

Sick isn't even the right word (although it's an accurate one).  Trump is a fundamentally evil man with few (if any) redeeming features.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »

Un-freakin' believable.

The article was update. They have allowed the waiver to through. Food stamps are good to go.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 08:30:14 PM »

To make this clear:  the administration granted the waiver to Texas and Florida after the recent hurricanes there

The racial/economic motive behind this is clear.  I have no words.

Un-freakin' believable.

The article was update. They have allowed the waiver to through. Food stamps are good to go.

Good.  They should have done it immediately.  It goes without saying... lack of access to cooking implements and lack of electricity, etc... a hot meal makes a world of difference for morale, and for hunger in many cases.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »

People will forgive his lack of empathy if he can demonstrate competence in all of this.

I have worked as a Substance Abuse Counselor.  Indeed, I have been credentialed to supervise other counselors.  I remember one of my trainers who taught a workshop on group therapy once discussed the qualities of a counselor and the discussion shifted to the issue of empathy.  Empathy, of course, is a big deal in a number of schools of counseling, and especially with those adherents of Carl Rogers' theories.  (Substance Abuse Counseling was overrun with Rogerians when I worked as a counselor.) 

My trainer then suggested that if he had to project one quality to clients, it would be competence, and not empathy.  This rocked a number of worlds in the class, but he explained his point of view by reminding the class that their clients were folks in crisis; that's why they were in treatment.  When folks are in crisis, they need to know what to DO, and they need to DO it, regardless of their level of efficacy at it.  Who are they most willing to follow; someone who is empathic, or someone who projects knowing what they're doing.  This made a lot of sense to me; when in crisis, I was always more willing to listen to the unpleasant if the person pointing out the unpleasant offered a way out.

Trump's problem isn't that he isn't empathic.  Trump's problem is that his sideshows diminish his ability to project competence at a time when lots of folks need that rojection.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »

People will forgive his lack of empathy if he can demonstrate competence in all of this.

I have worked as a Substance Abuse Counselor.  Indeed, I have been credentialed to supervise other counselors.  I remember one of my trainers who taught a workshop on group therapy once discussed the qualities of a counselor and the discussion shifted to the issue of empathy.  Empathy, of course, is a big deal in a number of schools of counseling, and especially with those adherents of Carl Rogers' theories.  (Substance Abuse Counseling was overrun with Rogerians when I worked as a counselor.) 

My trainer then suggested that if he had to project one quality to clients, it would be competence, and not empathy.  This rocked a number of worlds in the class, but he explained his point of view by reminding the class that their clients were folks in crisis; that's why they were in treatment.  When folks are in crisis, they need to know what to DO, and they need to DO it, regardless of their level of efficacy at it.  Who are they most willing to follow; someone who is empathic, or someone who projects knowing what they're doing.  This made a lot of sense to me; when in crisis, I was always more willing to listen to the unpleasant if the person pointing out the unpleasant offered a way out.

Trump's problem isn't that he isn't empathic.  Trump's problem is that his sideshows diminish his ability to project competence at a time when lots of folks need that rojection.
I'd see right through your facade and do everything I could do to turn the group against you.  Phony competence can go straight to hell.  That you bought into that canard shows you probably weren't a good counselor.

The fact that you continue to make excuses for Trump proves it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »

I hear what you're saying, FB.

Trump's biggest problem is even WITHOUT the distraction of his buffoonery, he demonstrates utter incompetence at almost everything he touches. It's like the reverse Midas touch.

His wealth disproves nothing in this regard, IMO. He's broken even with inflation from what he inherited through daddy based on constantly crossing the line from tough knuckled business to outright fraud, combined with pure personal chutzpah and belief in his own infallibility. 
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:36 AM »

The responses in this thread are exactly what Trump and his demented cult members want: LIBERAL TEARS! They get off on reading threads like this. This is beyond deplorable, but let's not expect anything more from this sociopath and his brainwashed zombies. At least he's saying what he wants and is sticking it to those corrupt politicians in Washington like he said he would and at least he's not deleting e-mails!

Imagine if the black Muslim Kenyan had said or did something like this after a tornado in Oklahoma. The Republicans would be going off their rockers and drafting articles of impeachment. But my family values. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 05:26:27 AM »

Trump's biggest problem is even WITHOUT the distraction of his buffoonery, he demonstrates utter incompetence at almost everything he touches. It's like the reverse Midas touch.

His wealth disproves nothing in this regard, IMO. He's broken even with inflation from what he inherited through daddy based on constantly crossing the line from tough knuckled business to outright fraud, combined with pure personal chutzpah and belief in his own infallibility. 

I'm willing to wait a bit to see how this plays out.  Personally, I believe that the Trump's Administrations actions, to date, are a lot better than the image the Administration presents.  If Trump really does use this crisis to resolve Puerto Rico's massive debt crisis, as well as a number of its other ongoing structural problems, the lives of Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico will be improved.  And that may well be the outcome.  But, yes, the path to that (if that happy ending does come about) will be littered with the kind of recriminations that seem to come with the territory in everything Trump does.

It would help, of course, if Trump had a filter.  He doesn't, and that is a real problem.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »

I'd see right through your facade and do everything I could do to turn the group against you.  Phony competence can go straight to hell.  That you bought into that canard shows you probably weren't a good counselor.

The fact that you continue to make excuses for Trump proves it.

That's something the narcissists and power drivers in my groups would do at times, so yes, you might well do something like that if you were in my group.  It's the HP thing to do, but I've seen that before.

What I did have, as both a counselor and a person, is congruence and fairness.  The ability to be the same externally, as well as internally, and the ability to deal with folks on the basis of principles and their actions, and not whether or not I liked them or they liked me has served me well; these were qualities that enabled clients to accept the sort of help they did not want to accept, but needed to accept.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »

I'm willing to wait a bit to see how this plays out.  Personally, I believe that the Trump's Administrations actions, to date, are a lot better than the image the Administration presents.  If Trump really does use this crisis to resolve Puerto Rico's massive debt crisis, as well as a number of its other ongoing structural problems, the lives of Puerto Ricans living in Puerto Rico will be improved.  And that may well be the outcome.  But, yes, the path to that (if that happy ending does come about) will be littered with the kind of recriminations that seem to come with the territory in everything Trump does.

It would help, of course, if Trump had a filter.  He doesn't, and that is a real problem.

C'mon FB. Would you be willing to bet me your next paycheck that Trump will seriously attempt, let alone succeed in writing off PR's debt? Even if I gave 10-1 odds? Secretary Mnuchin has already walked that claim back. This was another Id to mouth reaction from our Toddler in Chief.

I honestly am sometimes glad Trump has no filter: It let's us all see just how grossly devoid of empathy and basic humanity he is. It took catching Nixon on tape to convince the vast majority of Americans he was a bastard; Trump does it on a near daily basis.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 11:29:02 PM »

Those who still support this buffoon are at least morally culpable.  Trump is but a reflection of their own prejudices and bigotry.   
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 11:32:18 PM »

I really hope that this event has proven to at least some of his supporters that he is really incapable of handling a disaster as president.

What the hell, if he shot an innocent man in a wheel chair on live TV they would still defend him so I don't really have much hope.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies