NV-SEN: Does Heller win or lose primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:16:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NV-SEN: Does Heller win or lose primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Win, lose or retire?
Heller wins primary

Heller loses primary

Heller retires

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: NV-SEN: Does Heller win or lose primary?  (Read 1647 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2017, 06:16:12 PM »

What is Dean Heller's fate? Win primary, lose to Tarkanian, or retire?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »

Wins primary, loses General election.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:19:08 PM »

Please move this thread to "Congressional Elections." I made a mistake on where to place the post.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »

Just curious. I don't know that much about DT, and his Wikipedia page talks about his many failed elections rather than his political views. What's the basis of his primary challenge? Is it from the right? (Of Heller??) Is it a Trumpist "anti-establishment" run? Is it just a parochial power struggle within the NV GOP and/or a power grab by Tarkinian?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »

Just curious. I don't know that much about DT, and his Wikipedia page talks about his many failed elections rather than his political views. What's the basis of his primary challenge? Is it from the right? (Of Heller??) Is it a Trumpist "anti-establishment" run? Is it just a parochial power struggle within the NV GOP and/or a power grab by Tarkinian?

He runs as a bona fide Trumpist who accuses Heller of not being subservient enough to King Donald.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »

He runs as a bona fide Trumpist who accuses Heller of not being subservient enough to King Donald.

Any reason not to assume that'll work with today's NV Republican primary voters? Serious question. Yeah, incumbency is a strong factor, and Heller IIRC hasn't crossed Trump either in statements or votes, but DT will have plenty of cash and is hardly an unknown quantity.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »

He's a gadfly perennial candidate. I doubt he has any ideological gripes with Heller.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »

He's a gadfly perennial candidate. I doubt he has any ideological gripes with Heller.

Well, that makes him sound like Harold Stassen, when in fairness he's come quite close in multiple races, including for Secretary of State and Congress, including being the GOP nominee 3 times.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »

Any reason not to assume that'll work with today's NV Republican primary voters? Serious question. Yeah, incumbency is a strong factor, and Heller IIRC hasn't crossed Trump either in statements or votes, but DT will have plenty of cash and is hardly an unknown quantity.

All recent polls show Heller trailing by 5-10 points. Not exactly Flake-like deficits but still not a great place for an uncontroversial incumbent to be a few months before the primary.
Tarkanian is a perennial candidate but last year he won his primary against a well-conected establishment candidate, not  that different from Heller, who was considered a prohibitive favorite and a recruiting coup by NRCC.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »

Narrowly wins the primary, loses the general.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »

Tarkanian narrowly wins the primary and loses to Jacky Rosen.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »

Heller finally gets the message and retires. Sandoval jumps in, and he loses to Tarkanian.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 03:48:26 AM »

Well, that makes him sound like Harold Stassen, when in fairness he's come quite close in multiple races, including for Secretary of State and Congress, including being the GOP nominee 3 times.

His father Jerry was the head coach for the UNLV basketball team for twenty successful years, and was a local icon.  The name still carries some weight, though at this point just with old people.  His son is doing his best to re-associate the name with failure.

At this point I think Republicans are just used to seeing his name on the ballot, and they like seeing things they're used to seeing.  It makes them feel safe.  Plus he surely appeals to the anti-establishment crowd; you can't really be considered part of the establishment if you, you know, never get elected to anything.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »

I suppose he'll narrowly win.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »

It takes a lot of talent to have such a consistent losing streak that you can't even take advantage of your party's wave years in a swing state.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »

Heller is hilariously overrated, but I really doubt that he'll lose the primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies