"Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:03:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: "Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion  (Read 5917 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »

Now this could be a big problem. Hypocrite and encouraging murder, tsk tsk.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 09:40:48 PM »

He's probably gonna get a primary challenger. But knowing the GOP primary electorate, he could easily survive.

IIRC, the Democrats actually recruited a decent wave insurance candidate here.

This is a very safe Republican seat. Not going to happen.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 10:52:10 PM »

Disgusting.

His old, irresponsible ass does not know how to use a condom?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »

Ultimately if people hold conservative or liberal beliefs the hypocrisy or moral failings of a candidate are irrelevant, so long as the votes back up their preferences. It is not wrong for a conservative to prefer keeping Murphy vs electing a Democrat.

Well, if you don't want to factor in the idea of integrity, dignity, and so on, one could easily take this kind of hypocrisy (and what he said about his staffers writing the pro-life stuff) as a signal that he is not committed to those views, and whatever his current votes have been, he might not be dependable for anti-abortion legislation. Ditto for other stuff he says.

I think 2016 of all elections showed what happens when a politician becomes viewed as very untrustworthy. Not to say that it would play out the same for a candidate in a House race (they don't get nearly as much attention, obviously), but trust still matters.

Honestly, his quotes on the issue in the alleged texts to his mistress make this situation worse than the DesJarlais situation (you may remember that I was a huge Starrett supporter in the primary) because he pretty much said that he isn't pro-life and doesn't want his social media supporting pro-life ideas.  I absolutely want him primaried, but he would still be marginally better than a liberal, pro-abortion Democrat.

And, I vacillate a little on the issue of how to treat the women who get abortions.  In the short run, I don't think it is fair to punish them because they are victims of the lies of the abortion doctors and the abortion industry, though they should face mandatory counselling.  After a few years of it being illegal, I would support some punishment (saying that they could not, in good faith, have failed to understand their act), but still less severe than the doctors.  Right now, it would help no one to throw grieving victims of the abortion industry in jail.  Abortion doctors, on the other hand, should face life in jail without parole as a minimum sentence with the death penalty in play, just like for other murders.

See, if you really believe deep down that abortion the same as killing a baby then you'd at least have to put the death penalty on the table for mothers to be intellectually consistent.  After all, they paid the doctor to "murder" the "baby," no?  I'd argue even folks like ExtremeConservative won't make that jump because deep down they know that killing a fetus simply isn't the same as killing a baby.  You wouldn't say "let's give person A who hired a contract killer to murder Person A's kid a pass because Person A is really just a victim of the lies spread by the murder-kids-for-money industry," would you?  Of course, deep down most of us know abortion - while obviously horrible - is not the same as murdering a baby and thus are rightly horrified by the idea of executing a mother who gets an abortion.

I strongly disagree with your accusation.  Being pro-life is the main reason for my political views in the first place- because I believe that abortion is worse (not even the same) than killing a random stranger in the street.  Unfortunately, enough women have been deceived by the abortion industry to not realize what they are doing, so they aren't as morally guilty as a regular murderer.  Once we have a strong enough public information campaign, the more I think about this (i.e. a while down the road), I would support first-degree murder charges for the mother and the father (if he knew at all and didn't do every possible thing to stop it).
While I don't agree with ExtremeConservative's views, by saying that a Republican is better than a pro-life Dem, he's confirming that he's not a single-issue voter, so I'll give him that much.

Here's a question for ExtremeConservative: in the unlikely event there is a race between a pro-choice R and a pro-life D, who would you pick?

Before you ask, I would pick the D, because abortion isn't one of the most important issues to me.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »

While I don't agree with ExtremeConservative's views, by saying that a Republican is better than a pro-life Dem, he's confirming that he's not a single-issue voter, so I'll give him that much.

Here's a question for ExtremeConservative: in the unlikely event there is a race between a pro-choice R and a pro-life D, who would you pick?

Before you ask, I would pick the D, because abortion isn't one of the most important issues to me.

I guess I could have missed something here, but are you referencing this post?:

Honestly, his quotes on the issue in the alleged texts to his mistress make this situation worse than the DesJarlais situation (you may remember that I was a huge Starrett supporter in the primary) because he pretty much said that he isn't pro-life and doesn't want his social media supporting pro-life ideas.  I absolutely want him primaried, but he would still be marginally better than a liberal, pro-abortion Democrat.

He said even a hypocritical + alleged pro-life Republican like DesJarlais is better than a liberal pro-abortion Democrat. If anything, he affirmed his status as a single issue voter.

In fact, to your question, I wouldn't be surprised if he would vote for a pro-choice Republican over a pro-life Democrat under the assumption that party leadership might force the pro-choice Republican to vote party-line on abortion stuff, and vice versa for the Democrat. Of course it doesn't always work like that irl but I don't think I've ever seen anyone as devoted to a single issue as ExtremeConservative. Every choice political choice he makes seems to be ultimately influenced by abortion.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »

He's probably gonna get a primary challenger. But knowing the GOP primary electorate, he could easily survive.

IIRC, the Democrats actually recruited a decent wave insurance candidate here.

Yeah, just find some pro-life Dem, give them some cash, let them go wild.

Now is the absolutely perfect time to recruit a Caseycrat.

I agree with this.  I'm in PA-6 Montgomery County and such a candidate would NEVER work here but PA-18, absolutely!
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

I guess I could have missed something here, but are you referencing this post?:

He said even a hypocritical + alleged pro-life Republican like DesJarlais is better than a liberal pro-abortion Democrat. If anything, he affirmed his status as a single issue voter.

In fact, to your question, I wouldn't be surprised if he would vote for a pro-choice Republican over a pro-life Democrat under the assumption that party leadership might force the pro-choice Republican to vote party-line on abortion stuff, and vice versa for the Democrat. Of course it doesn't always work like that irl but I don't think I've ever seen anyone as devoted to a single issue as ExtremeConservative. Every choice political choice he makes seems to be ultimately influenced by abortion.

In a gubernatorial election where the majorities don't particularly matter, I would support the pro-life Democrat.  In a congressional election, it would be situational (some "pro-life Democrats" and "pro-choice Republicans" actually have similar centrist positions on the issue) and also might depend on how they would vote for or against a pro-life leadership (i.e. the decisive member for determining a majority might have to be a Republican to keep pro-lifers in power), but in certain cases where the Democrat is legitimately pro-life, it might be better to have them if the majority isn't at stake.

In a presidential election between John Bel Edwards and Susan Collins, for example, I would start leaning towards JBE, but I would be closely following exact positions, picks, and promises in the campaign as a potentially persuadable voter.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »

By the way, I reject the term "single issue voter" because I do care about the other issues.  It's just that abortion is a make-or-break issue that can press me towards single-issue voting.  In most GOP primaries, though, everyone is solidly pro-life, so I can look at other issues.  A proper term could be that I am "a single issue pro-life voter when pressed into action on the issue".
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »

He's retiring.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »

LMAO
kyc0705

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

Thankfully the only abortion that ended up taking place was of Tim Murphy's political future.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »

You know I am pleasantly surprised by this and while it doesn't do anything to subtract from what he has done, it is certainly a credit to him to step aside compared to say DesJarlais.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »

Adios scumbag!

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2017, 06:05:20 AM »

Most "pro-life" GOP congressmen are probably the same as him.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »

What's Mike Pence's opinion of this? LOL
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »

Figures.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »

John Fettean is looking into running for this seat. https://mobile.twitter.com/JMilesColeman/status/915944625759768577
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »

Brandon Neuman ought to run for this if he can find a successor for his state house seat. Quite popular and usually unopposed, represents a district in PA-18 iirc.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »

Good riddance.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »

Fetterman is my man but Braddock is in the 14th and he generally seems more interested in another Senate run in 2022.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »

Brandon Neuman ought to run for this if he can find a successor for his state house seat. Quite popular and usually unopposed, represents a district in PA-18 iirc.

This
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 02:37:32 PM »

Fetterman is my man but Braddock is in the 14th and he generally seems more interested in another Senate run in 2022.

One does not preclude the other. Fetterman would be a massive recruiting coup, and I suspect one of the few Dems who could win this seat
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »

One does not preclude the other. Fetterman would be a massive recruiting coup, and I suspect one of the few Dems who could win this seat

Brandon Neumann or even Matt Smith would be better (I definitely think Neumann could win this seat), but Fetterman would be a solid recruit.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »

BREAKING: He's resigning on October 21.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/916031197167312896
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length