"Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:16:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: "Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion  (Read 5922 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »

http://bit.ly/2ymTkWe

Murphy texted the woman "I get what you say about my March for life messages. I've never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write any more. I will."
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

Desjarlais sure comes up with intricate backstories for his alt identities. He even got elected to Congress - twice! Wow.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »

He's probably gonna get a primary challenger. But knowing the GOP primary electorate, he could easily survive.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »

Murphy is lowlife skank, nothing more.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »

He's probably gonna get a primary challenger. But knowing the GOP primary electorate, he could easily survive.

IIRC, the Democrats actually recruited a decent wave insurance candidate here.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »

Yeah, just find some pro-life Dem, give them some cash, let them go wild.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »

Yeah, just find some pro-life Dem, give them some cash, let them go wild.

Now is the absolutely perfect time to recruit a Caseycrat.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »

Disgraceful. He should resign (he won't, ofc). I hope he loses.

I don't talk about abortion much, but I've stated before many times that I'm pro-life and this is unacceptable to me.

Same goes w/ DesJarlais who I have passionately opposed for years.

How can you look yourself in the mirror and say that you are pro-life and do try to pressure a woman to abort? Disgusting on so many levels.

From the other thread.

People like this a-hole and DesJarlais are why people lose faith in the system. He is an immoral fraud and needs to be primaried.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »

I don't talk about abortion much, but I've stated before many times that I'm pro-life and this is unacceptable to me.

How can you look yourself in the mirror and say that you are pro-life and do try to pressure a woman to abort? Disgusting on so many levels.

From the other thread.

People like this a-hole and DesJarlais are why people lose faith in the system. He is an immoral fraud and needs to be primaried.

Completely agree.  But I would still rather a terrible person who will vote pro-life than someone who would have no qualms with abortion in any respect.  Hopefully a genuine conservative can primary him!!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »

From the other thread.

Completely agree.  But I would still rather a terrible person who will vote pro-life than someone who would have no qualms with abortion in any respect.  Hopefully a genuine conservative can primary him!!

You make a legitimate point, but I wouldn't be able to vote for a DesJarlais or Murphy (who I, before all of this, was a big fan of) in a general. I'd likely write in someone.

And definitely agree on the primarying, I'm sure there's someone who can do the job! Smiley

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »

From the other thread.

I have a question – and please humor me for a moment – do you support charging women who get an abortion with aggravated murder and treating it as a capital crime?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

From the other thread.

Hyper partisan hypocrisy at it's worse. You stand for nothing but keeping Paul Ryan in the Speaker's chair.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »

From the other thread.

I have a question – and please humor me for a moment – do you support charging women who get an abortion with aggravated murder and treating it as a capital crime?

I can't speak for ER, but I can speak for me:

No, I do not. No mainstream Pro-Life or Anti-Abortion group supports this and nor should they. The unborn are the biggest victims of abortion, but not the only ones. Women who have abortions are also victims and treating them like criminals is counterproductive and will not do anything.

Abortionists, though, I think should be convicted of a felony in a scenario where abortion is banned.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 05:42:42 PM »

From the other thread.

No, I do not. No mainstream Pro-Life or Anti-Abortion group supports this and nor should they. The unborn are the biggest victims of abortion, but not the only ones. Women who have abortions are also victims and treating them like criminals is counterproductive and will not do anything.

Abortionists, though, I think should be convicted of a felony in a scenario where abortion is banned.

Should abortionists face the death penalty under such a scenario?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

From the other thread.

In Gosnell-style situations, yes.

While I am a supporter of the death penalty, I have, for at least the last 3-4 years, supported limiting it to only extremely severe cases. Using death penalty in excess for any crime, I think, sets room for human error in terms of sentencing innocent people.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

From the other thread.

While I am a supporter of the death penalty, I have, for at least the last 3-4 years, supported limiting it to only extremely severe cases. Using death penalty in excess for any crime, I think, sets room for human error in terms of sentencing innocent people.

I'm curious what your birth control thoughts are. It has been clear for years that better BC access has dramatically cut the abortion rate in the United States over the last decade.
UncleSam

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »

Idk why you think it is partisan hypocrisy to prefer a Republican who believes one thing and votes the other way - it makes every bit as much sense as the Democrats who want to keep Menendez, at least for the time being.

Ultimately if people hold conservative or liberal beliefs the hypocrisy or moral failings of a candidate are irrelevant, so long as the votes back up their preferences. It is not wrong for a conservative to prefer keeping Murphy vs electing a Democrat.

With that being said I do think this sheds a lot of light on the average GOP congressman - how many of them probably understand (I refuse to say 'believe') global warming or actually think tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans will help the poor? My guess is Murphy is far from the only politician (on both sides of the aisle) who cares more about being in power than what he does with it.

Anyway my best guess is he will get primaried over this, if there is one issue Republican base voters hold no quarter over it is abortion. The district is so heavily R I doubt even a moderate or conservative Democrat could flip it but the red avatars can dream, I suppose.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »

From the other thread.

I'm curious what your birth control thoughts are. It has been clear for years that better BC access has dramatically cut the abortion rate in the United States over the last decade.

I am pro-birth control (but am strongly against the abortion pill). Birth control is a safe way (along w/ condoms, ofc) to have sex.

I don't think abstinence works unless people are willingly abstinent. So, promoting safe sex is a net positive, I think.

Also important to note: While I am opposed to abortion from a Jewish angle (Orthodox Jewish angle, not reform or conservative lol), I am mainly against it from a non-religious/humanitarian point of view.

And I think this is why my views on birth control are different from some other pro-lifers.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »

Ultimately if people hold conservative or liberal beliefs the hypocrisy or moral failings of a candidate are irrelevant, so long as the votes back up their preferences. It is not wrong for a conservative to prefer keeping Murphy vs electing a Democrat.

Well, if you don't want to factor in the idea of integrity, dignity, and so on, one could easily take this kind of hypocrisy (and what he said about his staffers writing the pro-life stuff) as a signal that he is not committed to those views, and whatever his current votes have been, he might not be dependable for anti-abortion legislation. Ditto for other stuff he says.

I think 2016 of all elections showed what happens when a politician becomes viewed as very untrustworthy. Not to say that it would play out the same for a candidate in a House race (they don't get nearly as much attention, obviously), but trust still matters.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »

From the other thread.

I am pro-birth control (but am strongly against the abortion pill). Birth control is a safe way (along w/ condoms, ofc) to have sex.

I don't think abstinence works unless people are willingly abstinent. So, promoting safe sex is a net positive, I think.

Also important to note: While I am opposed to abortion from a Jewish angle (Orthodox Jewish angle, not reform or conservative lol), I am mainly against it from a non-religious/humanitarian point of view.

And I think this is why my views on birth control are different from some other pro-lifers.

Contrary to popular belief, Plan B is not an abortion pill - it prevents fertilization. Useless against a fertilized ovum
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »

Well, if you don't want to factor in the idea of integrity, dignity, and so on, one could easily take this kind of hypocrisy (and what he said about his staffers writing the pro-life stuff) as a signal that he is not committed to those views, and whatever his current votes have been, he might not be dependable for anti-abortion legislation. Ditto for other stuff he says.

I think 2016 of all elections showed what happens when a politician becomes viewed as very untrustworthy. Not to say that it would play out the same for a candidate in a House race (they don't get nearly as much attention, obviously), but trust still matters.

Honestly, his quotes on the issue in the alleged texts to his mistress make this situation worse than the DesJarlais situation (you may remember that I was a huge Starrett supporter in the primary) because he pretty much said that he isn't pro-life and doesn't want his social media supporting pro-life ideas.  I absolutely want him primaried, but he would still be marginally better than a liberal, pro-abortion Democrat.

And, I vacillate a little on the issue of how to treat the women who get abortions.  In the short run, I don't think it is fair to punish them because they are victims of the lies of the abortion doctors and the abortion industry, though they should face mandatory counselling.  After a few years of it being illegal, I would support some punishment (saying that they could not, in good faith, have failed to understand their act), but still less severe than the doctors.  Right now, it would help no one to throw grieving victims of the abortion industry in jail.  Abortion doctors, on the other hand, should face life in jail without parole as a minimum sentence with the death penalty in play, just like for other murders.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »

Honestly, his quotes on the issue in the alleged texts to his mistress make this situation worse than the DesJarlais situation (you may remember that I was a huge Starrett supporter in the primary) because he pretty much said that he isn't pro-life and doesn't want his social media supporting pro-life ideas.  I absolutely want him primaried, but he would still be marginally better than a liberal, pro-abortion Democrat.

And, I vacillate a little on the issue of how to treat the women who get abortions.  In the short run, I don't think it is fair to punish them because they are victims of the lies of the abortion doctors and the abortion industry, though they should face mandatory counselling.  After a few years of it being illegal, I would support some punishment (saying that they could not, in good faith, have failed to understand their act), but still less severe than the doctors.  Right now, it would help no one to throw grieving victims of the abortion industry in jail.  Abortion doctors, on the other hand, should face life in jail without parole as a minimum sentence with the death penalty in play, just like for other murders.

See, if you really believe deep down that abortion the same as killing a baby then you'd at least have to put the death penalty on the table for mothers to be intellectually consistent.  After all, they paid the doctor to "murder" the "baby," no?  I'd argue even folks like ExtremeConservative won't make that jump because deep down they know that killing a fetus simply isn't the same as killing a baby.  You wouldn't say "let's give person A who hired a contract killer to murder Person A's kid a pass because Person A is really just a victim of the lies spread by the murder-kids-for-money industry," would you?  Of course, deep down most of us know abortion - while obviously horrible - is not the same as murdering a baby and thus are rightly horrified by the idea of executing a mother who gets an abortion.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »

See, if you really believe deep down that abortion the same as killing a baby then you'd at least have to put the death penalty on the table for mothers to be intellectually consistent.  After all, they paid the doctor to "murder" the "baby," no?  I'd argue even folks like ExtremeConservative won't make that jump because deep down they know that killing a fetus simply isn't the same as killing a baby.  You wouldn't say "let's give person A who hired a contract killer to murder Person A's kid a pass because Person A is really just a victim of the lies spread by the murder-kids-for-money industry," would you?  Of course, deep down most of us know abortion - while obviously horrible - is not the same as murdering a baby and thus are rightly horrified by the idea of executing a mother who gets an abortion.

I strongly disagree with your accusation.  Being pro-life is the main reason for my political views in the first place- because I believe that abortion is worse (not even the same) than killing a random stranger in the street.  Unfortunately, enough women have been deceived by the abortion industry to not realize what they are doing, so they aren't as morally guilty as a regular murderer.  Once we have a strong enough public information campaign, the more I think about this (i.e. a while down the road), I would support first-degree murder charges for the mother and the father (if he knew at all and didn't do every possible thing to stop it).
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »

Sad!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 08:47:29 PM »

Its never surprising. Now, its on his constituents to hold him accountable for his hypocrisy and vote him out. Of course I highly doubt they will.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies