"Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:06:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Pro-life" Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA-18) urged mistress to get an abortion  (Read 6042 times)
McGovernForPrez

« on: October 05, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »

Tallying up the national environment advantage Democrats have, and comparing it to the way the district voted in the 2012 Senate election and the 2014 gubernatorial election, Democrats ought to be a point or two shy from taking the district back. I think with a strong enough candidate however, and a wounded Republican party, it's entirely possible we see a Democratic win here.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »

Tallying up the national environment advantage Democrats have, and comparing it to the way the district voted in the 2012 Senate election and the 2014 gubernatorial election, Democrats ought to be a point or two shy from taking the district back. I think with a strong enough candidate however, and a wounded Republican party, it's entirely possible we see a Democratic win here.
Don't count on it.  Trump's job approval is up to 10 points higher with likely voters than the public as a whole, and Congressional Democrats are even more unpopular in the same polls.  Not to mention that they couldn't win the Georgia seat.
I mean election fundamentals generally claim that the party in control of the white house typically does worse during special elections and midterms. Nothing about the 2017 midterms has contradicted this reality. Democrats lost the Georgia seat but they massively overperformed in almost every other race. This is because the party outside the white house typically has a more energized voting base. The congressional generic ballot currently gives the Democrats an 8 point edge, which seems somewhat consistent with previous special election results. Democrats lost the Georgia seat because the seat had massive turnout as a result of media saturation about the race. The Georgia seat had the highest turnout of any special election ever, and also saw the most money spent on a congressional race ever.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

Who does everybody think are the best candidates for this race? I'm leaning towards Mike Crossey and Gina Cerilli.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »

I seems being nasty was the cause of Murphy stepping down. In a quick review I did not see this reason posted.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/10/7/1705083/-PA-18-Tim-Murphy-isn-t-out-because-he-s-a-hypocrite-it-s-because-he-was-an-abusive-boss

It is hard to believe that anyone would just be nasty like this in an office anyone posting here would love to have.
He resigned for a scandal about him having a mistress, who he forced to have an abortion.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »

Republican candidate is a "Right to Work" advocate and voted to lower prevailing wages, unlike Murphy, who was union-friendly.
That might give us a fighting chance if he's alienated the unions in that area. Hopefully we have a strong candidate here. I think Gina Cerilli is probably the strongest since she's from Westmoreland county which is the most Republican leaning part of this district. If she can keep margins relatively close there and can do well in the Democratic leaning areas she has a decent shot at this. She's pro-life which in the context of Murphys seat probably makes her a strong candidate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies