Which candidates of the opposing party could you see yourself endorsing in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:16:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which candidates of the opposing party could you see yourself endorsing in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which candidates of the opposing party could you see yourself endorsing in 2018?  (Read 1123 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »

Basically what the title says, but you can also add 2017 politicians.
Personally, I'd vote for all Democratic Senate and (I guess) House candidates, because I believe that the Congressional GOP should be heavily punished by voters for their horrible obstructionism, gross incompetence and pandering to extremism.
But with governors, the picture is different. I'd probably vote for all swing-state Democratic gubernatorial candidates because Republican gerrymandering is terrible and redistricting is coming, and for all red state Democratic candidates because the Republicans there are always too conservative. But there are 4 Republican governors whose re-election campaigns I could see myself rooting for:

1. Phil Scott- so far, I like him both as a politician and a person, and the Democrats seem to have pretty bad candidates (especially the kid). He also can't do any damage in redistricting, obviously. So barring something drastic, I'll probably support him.
2. Bruce Rauner- I really didn't think to support him, but he endeared himself to me with his pro-choice and other liberal positions. Besides, the Illinois Democratic party might be the worst Democratic party, and their candidates range from bad to meh. Leaning towards supporting him rn.
3. Charlie Baker- he seems to be a fine governor so far, the Democratic field seems pretty weak and unexciting, and I doubt he can do much gerrymandering in Massachusetts. So barring the entrance of an exciting Democrat like Joe Kennedy III or Seth Moulton, I'll probably support Baker.
4. Larry Hogan- while I am disappointed in what seems like pretty conservative governance from him, the Democratic field seems terribly unexciting. So I'm leaning towards supporting Hogan, too.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2017, 06:47:10 PM by Acting Southern Delegate The Saint »

If any, they would be:

1. Joe Manchin
2. Heidi Heitkamp
3. Tim Ryan
4. Henry Cuellar

EDIT: Forgot G O D H E I M E R (he's a definite endorsement)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »

John Kasich
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »

1. Eliot Engel, D-NY-16: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, hawkish in general
2. Josh Gottheimer, D-NJ-05: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, hawkish in general, fiscally moderate to conservative
3. Albio Sires, D-NJ-08: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, Anti-Castro, Anti-Maduro, hawkish in general
4. Ben Cardin, D-Maryland: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, sponsor of Anti-Boycott bill, hawkish in general
5. Bob Menendez, D-New Jersey: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, Anti-Castro, Anti-Maduro, hawkish in general
6. Ted Deutch, D-FL-22: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, hawkish in general
7. Collin Peterson, D-MN-07: Pro-Life, Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, Pro-Gun Rights
8. Dan Lipiniski, D-IL-03: Pro-Life, Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal
9. David Scott, D-GA-13: Pro-Israel, Anti-Iran Deal, Pro-Johnny Isakson, Bipartisanship

there are prob some others, but these are the main ones.

Also, I like Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, but I like Evan Jenkins, R-WV-03 more and am supporting Jenkins.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »

As far as Congress is concerned, none.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »

1. Bruce Rauner (R-IL-Gov), but only because I'm convinced that either Kennedy or Pritzker will lose.

2. Susan Collins (R-ME-Gov) if she runs of, course...though I would prefer a Democrat.

3. Bill Haslam (R-TN-Sen) If he runs...he'd be my preferred Republican.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:01:49 PM »

For congress, anyone who runs against Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Other than that I'd probably endorse Democrats and Independents.

For governor, Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan maybe, Gary Richardson, John Cox maybe.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:44:12 PM »

He's term limited
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »

I could definitly see myself endorsing Joe Manchin and Collin Peterson,
Otherwise maybe Heidi Heitkamp and that's probably about it, at least at congressional level.
Then for governors, Andrew Cuomo seems decent enough (for New York), and one way or another it's not like a Republican can win in New York, then in California I'd endorse the least bad of the Democrats because a Republican can't win there, and I like Gwen Graham in Florida, so she's a possible endorsement too, depending on the campaign she runs, and then for independants I definitely endorse Bill Walker in Alaska.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »

Does Robb Ryerse count?
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »

If yes then I would probally support him over the democrat
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »

2. Bruce Rauner- I really didn't think to support him, but he endeared himself to me with his pro-choice and other liberal positions. Besides, the Illinois Democratic party might be the worst Democratic party, and their candidates range from bad to meh. Leaning towards supporting him rn.

Probably same, especially if it's Pritzker.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

That one Arkansas Republican who supports universal healthcare
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »

None of them.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

Probably same, especially if it's Pritzker.

I would never vote for Rauner, but thank god I moved away from Illinois so I'm not forced to vote for Pritzker next year. Following that Democratic primary this past eight months has been very disappointing.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »

A lot will depend on the candidates, but here are just a few examples.

Gavin Newsom: If California's undemocratic and unconstitutional primary system results in two Ds in the general election, I could tolerate him.  I liked his opposition to banning Happy Meal toys and prizes in sugary cereals.
Tom Carper: If the GOP nominates a far-right nut, and/or a no-name challenger (the latter being more than likely)
Debbie Stabenow: Only if Kid Rock runs as a Republican and wins the primary (and being from Michigan, I'd have to vote in that contest)
Bob Casey Jr.Sad See Carper and Manchin, not to mention I like that he's pro-life
Tim Kaine: See Carper and Manchin
Joe Manchin: If the GOP nominates a hard right-winger/Trumpist to run against him
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »

John McCain is the only GOP Senator I could see myself endorsing in the near future, but he's obviously not running in 2018 (or most likely in 2022...)

Governor-wise, maybe Phil Scott. I don't know enough about him, but he seems good.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »

Robb Ryerse and literally no one else.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »

Manchin and Heitkamp. The Democratic party needs more people like them.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »

Manchin and Heitkamp. The Democratic party needs more people like them.

Absolutely
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »

Justin Amash (R) - not in my district
Austin Petersen (R) - not in my state, formerly of the LP running against McCaskill
Thomas Massie (R) - not in my state

I believe there is a liberty conservative running in Northern FL that a friend highlighted. I will have to see about her.

Unfortunately our candidate in US-11 is a pragmatic, take no strong position type. I really am not impressed by my encounters with him. It will be a knock down, drag out fight in both the GOP and Dem primaries with Trott abdicating his seat next year.

In our Senate race it is hard to say what the LP will do against Debbie Stabenow. I am pretty certain that Kid Rock will not run - his current campaign is a walking FEC violation according to our local policy wonk.

Of course the Governor race will be a heated one. There's no non-LP person who I could see endorsing particularly the current Lt. Governor.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

Basically what the title says, but you can also add 2017 politicians.
Personally, I'd vote for all Democratic Senate and (I guess) House candidates, because I believe that the Congressional GOP should be heavily punished by voters for their horrible obstructionism, gross incompetence and pandering to extremism.
But with governors, the picture is different. I'd probably vote for all swing-state Democratic gubernatorial candidates because Republican gerrymandering is terrible and redistricting is coming, and for all red state Democratic candidates because the Republicans there are always too conservative. But there are 4 Republican governors whose re-election campaigns I could see myself rooting for:

1. Phil Scott- so far, I like him both as a politician and a person, and the Democrats seem to have pretty bad candidates (especially the kid). He also can't do any damage in redistricting, obviously. So barring something drastic, I'll probably support him.
3. Charlie Baker- he seems to be a fine governor so far, the Democratic field seems pretty weak and unexciting, and I doubt he can do much gerrymandering in Massachusetts. So barring the entrance of an exciting Democrat like Joe Kennedy III or Seth Moulton, I'll probably support Baker.
4. Larry Hogan- while I am disappointed in what seems like pretty conservative governance from him, the Democratic field seems terribly unexciting. So I'm leaning towards supporting Hogan, too.

+100. I, probably, would vote for Democratic candidates in 90+% of all races, but would support Republicans you mentioned above, plus, may be, Chris Sununu (pro-choice position, even cautious one, is relatively rare thing now).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies