NYC Mayoral Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:34:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayoral Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: NYC Mayoral Election  (Read 8502 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2005, 10:24:12 AM »

I tried to tell you what was going on.  I really tried.  This looks like a landslide, folks.

Bloomberg is going down.

I laughed so hard I banged my head on my keyboard, breaking it.

You owe me a new one!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2005, 09:48:35 PM »

Regarding his lack of drawing power: Gifford Miller is a Whitle anglo Protestant who grew up wealthy and went to private boarding schools.   I don't think most NY primary Dems  feel that he really understands their problems.  He simply doesn't have a built in demographic base at all, save for a few small pockets of old money in Manhattan.  By contrast, Bloomberg is super rich, but he is Jewish and has a automatic base of people who will vote for him.   Further,  Bloomberg is able to build a coalition of white ethnics scared of Dinkins II and enough crossover "minorities" to win.  That crossover of "minorities" all depends on who the candidate is- If Ferrer he gets more blacks and less latinos Weiner more crossover from both, Fields more latinos and less blacks etc etc. 

Perhaps I am over stating the level of identity politics, but not by much. 

Just one minor correction here:  Gifford Miller is not a white Anglo-Saxon protestant, he's Jewish.

Gifford Miller is not Jewish.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »

my favorite politicians are Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Clinton's wife, Schwarzenneger, Bloomberg, Trent Lott, Bush's brother, Orin Hatch, and Al Sharpton.

Looks like my boy mike won a second term.  A twenty-point victory by a republican over his opponent in the city that never sleeps.  Not too shabby.

The NYT says it's a "sweeping mandate" and they're calling it "Mike Unleashed" and talking about Bloomberg "spending the next four years taking a firmer hold of ground zero development, building up Governors Island and pursuing the city's largest low- and middle-income housing program ever."  Yadayadayada.  I wonder how much of Lenora Fulani's big ass he kissed.  Well, the manhattan stadium idea aside, I found him positively charming and am glad he won.  Anyway here's the NYT version.

Click here if you like mike.

In fact, it looks like a good day for all incumbents in general.  And in the nearby NJ governor's race, the election of Corzine (no surpirse or upset there) effectively removes him from the US senate.  So it's like getting a double-scoop cone when you only expected one scoop.  A real treat for national republicans, no doubt, but NJ republicans might not be happy about it. 

Oh, but there was a grey spot.  Anyone notice how the talking heads described four of the eight propositions on the california ballot as referenda on the Governator?  (yes, he's also listed above)  Well, it seems that all eight propositions failed.  Morning papers, in california and nationally, are now saying that his next challenge is to rebuild bipartisan support.  SFgate says "Arnold Schwarzenegger found his box office appeal and rhetoric as a reformer couldn't convince California voters that his special election initiatives were critical to the state's future."  So it would seem.

In Columbus, Mayor Jeffrey Rupp (R) was re-elected, while in Alligator, MS, Robert Fava, Jr. (Independent) was re-elected as that important city's mayor.  Fava is celebrating his victory with a stop for barbequed ribs at K.C.'s Quik'n'Go Grocery.

Also Texas became the 19th state to outlaw same-sex marriage, while voters in Maine ratified a state law barring discrimination against gay men and lesbians. 

In other important election-day news, Ohioans rejected an Amish-backed campaign to eliminate Huntsburg Township's zoning laws.  The measure has failed 58 to 42 percent.

I posted my photos from the 36th annual NYC Gay Pride Parade on this forum before, but it seems so very appropriate to put this one up agan.  Miss Gay Albany 2006 says, "I Like Mike!"

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies