Is gerrymandering constitutional? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is gerrymandering constitutional? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is gerrymandering constitutional?  (Read 3329 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:50 PM »

Obligatory IANAL aside:  I think there are probably 1st amendment issues at hand (free association, maybe political speech), as well as maybe 14th amendment issues (equal protection). I'm not saying they are definitely valid arguments, just that they seem to make sense, and I think gerrymandering probably violates one or more of them. My take is in the quote boxes:

1. Freedom of Association (1st):

Wikipedia says this about freedom of association:

Freedom of association encompasses both an individual's right to join or leave groups voluntarily, and the right of the group to take collective action to pursue the interests of its members

Gerrymandering punishes a person for associating with a group - a political party - by diminishing their power and their ability to take collective action to pursue the interests of their members. It essentially punishes a person for supporting a party by diminishing the value of their vote.

------------

2. Political speech (1st): Is your not right to political speech not infringed by gerrymandering, which basically puts limits on your party's ability to win elections, simply for being the other party?

------------

3. Equal protection (14th):

This was from the recent partisan gerrymandering scotus hearing:

That is what gerrymandering is, right? Partisans of one party pass a law - new district maps - to harm the opposition party by taking away / diminishing their ability to win elections. The law essentially targets [Democrats/Republicans]. Eg, in North Carolina, you are being punished by the state for being a Democrat, while Republicans are rewarded with extra political power for being Republicans.

------------

I don't know which of these arguments would be valid, if any, but I think they have merit. Also, as per my obligatory IANAL statement, I may have made a mistake or two or overlooked some precedent. Either way, they seem like reasonable theories to be discussed in regards to gerrymandering.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »

It's kind of farcical that almost all issues come down to what Anthony Kennedy thinks on any given topic - that's not how the judicial branch is supposed to work.

Republicans could always appoint more justices like Anthony Kennedy Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies