What will happen if Trump fires Mueller?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will happen if Trump fires Mueller?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will happen if Trump fires Mueller?  (Read 2072 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »

What do you all think will happen?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »

I think it might serve to keep Nuclear Elmo tabbed permanently in that case.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »

You can't fire the man investigating you, or there will be consequences. And you definitely can't do it twice without major consequences.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »

Then you'll be seeing this under his name on Wikipedia

January 20th, 2017- October 15th, 2017
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 10:26:47 PM »

It'll take longer then that, but if he does fire Mueller he won't finish his current term, that's for sure.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:16 PM »

The Dems will have to decide if they have the guts to run on Impeach Trump as a primary 2018 platform plank.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »

You could also see an article

October 2017 coup d'état, United States of America.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »

Honestly, I don't know. I could see the GOP complaining a bit, but then get on the same page about the investigation being a "witch hunt" anyway, so nothing much was lost. Would be incredibly shameful, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 04:05:32 AM »

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:45:06 AM »

lol
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »

If there were a coup, maybe they could put the candidate who actually won the election (by 3 million votes) in the White House?

I really don't think the chances of a coup are high at all.  I think there would be a lot of grumbling from Democrats (probably to a degree never seen before), and some from Republicans too, although not much; the rest of the GOP will back him to the end, or until their poll numbers and reelection odds take a serious dive (which would probably happen).

Trump's approval rating would go even lower (hard to imagine at this point, since he's already almost bottomed out).  Pence would distance himself even more than he's doing now so as not to appear guilty of wrongdoing; Pence would also begin prepping himself to be sworn in as the 46th commander-in-chief.

I'm not sure what route it would take from there, but I do think that should Trump fire Mueller, his days as president are numbered.  Should it happen prior to 2020, then he won't be a candidate for president in 2020.  Either through impeachment, or just declining not to seek reelection, he would not appear on the ballot.

Also, Hillary Clinton would make another round on the airwaves telling the country, "I told you so." And she'd be right (again).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:12:48 AM »

This just won't happen, even though he has the authority to.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »

If Mueller gets fired than expect everything discovered during the investigation to be leaked. The staff under Mueller will not go quietly, regardless of the consequences.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 09:18:12 AM »

If there were a coup, maybe they could put the candidate who actually won the election (by 3 million votes) in the White House?

I really don't think the chances of a coup are high at all.  I think there would be a lot of grumbling from Democrats (probably to a degree never seen before), and some from Republicans too, although not much; the rest of the GOP will back him to the end, or until their poll numbers and reelection odds take a serious dive (which would probably happen).

Trump's approval rating would go even lower (hard to imagine at this point, since he's already almost bottomed out).  Pence would distance himself even more than he's doing now so as not to appear guilty of wrongdoing; Pence would also begin prepping himself to be sworn in as the 46th commander-in-chief.

I'm not sure what route it would take from there, but I do think that should Trump fire Mueller, his days as president are numbered.  Should it happen prior to 2020, then he won't be a candidate for president in 2020.  Either through impeachment, or just declining not to seek reelection, he would not appear on the ballot.

Also, Hillary Clinton would make another round on the airwaves telling the country, "I told you so." And she'd be right (again).

There won't be a coup.  And even if there was, Clinton did NOT "actually win the election", despite getting more popular votes.  Yes, the electoral college is stupid and should be abolished, but it's the rule in US presidential elections, and all candidates know that when they run.  Claiming that a PV loser actually won is like saying that a losing football team actually won because they gained more yards than the winner; they may have gotten more in absolute terms, but they failed to get them where they needed to.

I also think that if Trump did fire Mueller, there would be some Congressional Republicans who wouldn't stand for it.  Yes, some Republicans will be loyal to the end, but there are some principled ones who I believe would fight Trump in this case (McCain, Corker, and Sasse come immediately to mind; I'm sure there are others.) 

Message to Democrats: not all Republicans are scum.  I know this may be hard to believe.

Message to Republicans: not all Democrats are scum.  I know this may be hard to believe.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »

I need to buy this.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »

Move on. Hillary did not WIN the election. If she did, she would be in the White House right now. She knew the rules of the game (better than Trump) before she got in the race.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »

Many people were caught completely off guard in Chile in 1973, including the conservative democrats who had no idea of what to do in the wake of the coup. Chile has institutions similar to ours, and Trump is even more erratic than Allende.

I'd be wary of some of the more reckless talk of President Trump. "Calm before the storm"? The gusts are already zephyrs. People are starting to have shaky gaits.

More dangerous is any unilateral move by President Trump to start a war. North Korea? Iran? Venezuela?

The ambush of American soldiers in Niger (I am guessing that Boko Haram, a nasty organization with ideological ties to ISIS and similar ruthlessness and brutality) could get hit hard. That would be less troublesome, barring overkill.

...The likelihood of a military coup has been nil throughout all of American history until Donald Trump became President. It is now slight. That is a huge change. That's not to say that I want a coup. This country does not need or want a Pinochet. But I can imagine the Joint Chiefs of Staff making clear that senior military officers will not risk becoming war criminals in support of President Trump.   
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »

If President Snowflake does fire Mueller, what will happen is that Faux Noise and the other RWNJ echo chambers will go all jfern with "but Hillary!" while he sends out poop tweets to his brainwashed cult members that it's "fake news!" that he fired Mueller.

But seriously, if he does fire him, nothing is going to happen. You really think the Republicans have the moral conscience to stand up to Trump and his rabid base of deplorables who are going to stand by him no matter what? They'll grunt and groan to the media about how they wouldn't have done it but support the Dear Leader's right to do so.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »

Didn't we already go through this exercise, various times in previous threads already ?
I thought we agreed that the president does not have the authority to fire Mueller, directly.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »

Didn't we already go through this exercise, various times in previous threads already ?
I thought we agreed that the president does not have the authority to fire Mueller, directly.

Yea, only the Attorney General has the authority to fire Mueller. Jeff Sessions in a momentary crisis of conscience has recused himself in the Russian investigation. He has delegated that authority to the deputy Attorney General.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »

Trump would first fire Rosenstein and then keep firing people until someone agrees to fire Mueller for him. Then, Mueller would be fired.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »

Nothing will happen, Ryan and Yurtle the turtle will cover his ass as usual.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 01:30:19 PM »

There won't be a coup.  And even if there was, Clinton did NOT "actually win the election", despite getting more popular votes.  Yes, the electoral college is stupid and should be abolished, but it's the rule in US presidential elections, and all candidates know that when they run.  Claiming that a PV loser actually won is like saying that a losing football team actually won because they gained more yards than the winner; they may have gotten more in absolute terms, but they failed to get them where they needed to.

Hillary Clinton lost the election, but let's not pretend Donald Trump won democratically. Democracy is the rule of the People. Trump won only due to a bizarre, archaic, unique-in-the-world rule that robbed the People of its choice for the fourth time in History. Donald Trump is the legitimate President, but this election was not democratic.

You may say the States vote, not the People. I get that. But that's not what a democracy is. While the EC exists, the US will remain an imperfect democracy.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »

Hillary Clinton lost the election, but let's not pretend Donald Trump won democratically. Democracy is the rule of the People. Trump won only due to a bizarre, archaic, unique-in-the-world rule that robbed the People of its choice for the fourth time in History. Donald Trump is the legitimate President, but this election was not democratic.

You may say the States vote, not the People. I get that. But that's not what a democracy is. While the EC exists, the US will remain an imperfect democracy.

The United States is not a democracy. Beyond that, I suspect any attempt by Hillary Clinton to form a coup will not end well for Hillary Clinton.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies