'Deport' Flyers Targeting Asian-American Candidates Shock New Jersey Township
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:00:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  'Deport' Flyers Targeting Asian-American Candidates Shock New Jersey Township
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 'Deport' Flyers Targeting Asian-American Candidates Shock New Jersey Township  (Read 2020 times)
BoAtlantis

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »

https://patch.com/new-jersey/baskingridge/and-most-racist-place-america-iscloser-you-think

NJ is above average in racism, Southern NJ, more so than Northern NJ. As someone who goes to NJ regularly, I can confirm that Southern NJ is more racist.

Racism is mostly a East vs West thing, not North vs South. It's most prominent in Appalachia.

Except Southern California is the neo-nazi capital of the United States?

That’s just one example though. I’m talking overall on average.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »

Cricket fields taking over white America is exactly the sort of cultural genocide of which I approve.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »

This wouldn’t have happened if Democrats were in favor of trade protectionism.

If I think what I think you're doing (i.e. satire) - sure, point taken.

Otherwise - What the heck does trade protectionism do with this? The ease at which some people dismiss racial and cultural resentment as purely economic anxiety is troubling, to say the least.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »

I'm next door to this town, and this has been brewing for a long time. I'm not surprised it's spilled over and gotten this ugly.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »

The cricket fields were definitely a top 3 factor in my decision to leave Edison.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 09:16:52 PM »

I'm next door to this town, and this has been brewing for a long time. I'm not surprised it's spilled over and gotten this ugly.

Indeed. It's one of these things where native White residents freak out once they realize that they're - gasp - less than 50 percent of the population.

For reference, Edison is 47.2% Asian and 34.9% White, so the ship has sailed a long time ago.

Anyways, you are right at this brewing for a long time, not just in Edison but throught the whole state. Besides my own personal experiences, such racism included local talk radio stations freely dispensing with anti-Asian and anti-Hispanic racial slurs and TIME columnist Joel Stein writing about Edison's growing Indian-American population in an "insular and misguided" way. More recently you had the mock slave auction in Maplewood and a teacher who has recently returned to work (!) after telling students to speak American.

Geez, I think I made New Jersey seem more racist than Alabama!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »

Boo hoo racism. If people assimilated better and didn't all live in their own little ethnic bubbles, there would be no racism.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »

Also here's the back:

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »

Boo hoo racism. If people assimilated better and didn't all live in their own little ethnic bubbles, there would be no racism.

But at the same time folks like you say that it's wrong to even suggest that working class whites stranded in decaying areas should move to better places and get educated to advance. Double standards run amok.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 10:59:50 PM »

New Jersey state law requires schools to force students to take Spanish classes. Maybe people are resentful as a result?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »

ok, brtd...

As the great Jimmy Carter once said, it is our ethnic-majority neighborhoods that make us so great. That's what real Democrats should support. Not this annihilation of values.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »

Anglo-Saxon culture is the only acceptable culture. Ethnicity is meaningless.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 12:10:53 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2017, 12:13:25 AM by HillGoose »

how stupid.

Whoever sent out those flyers clearly doesn't believe in the Constitution.

Why are they complaining about a privately-owned cricket field? If someone buys the land they can do whatever they damn please with it.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 12:12:57 AM »

It's their Constitutional right not to have to "assimilate" if they don't wish to.

Anyone trying to force anyone to "assimilate" doesn't believe in the Constitution.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »

As the great Jimmy Carter once said, it is our ethnic-majority neighborhoods that make us so great. That's what real Democrats should support. Not this annihilation of values.
And this, my friend, is part of why I wish that Ford defeated Carter in 1976.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:41 AM »

New Jersey state law requires schools to force students to take Spanish classes. Maybe people are resentful as a result?

First I've heard of a law saying a requirement for Spanish. Checking the state's DOE website (sorry, can't link it ATM), it requires five credits in a world language. (in my case, I was a cheese eating surrender monkey for two years)
pikachu
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »

Taking a Spanish class is why people are resentful of Asians and Indians? Because that'd be bizarre.

Anyway, it's not like any of this stuff is new or even necessarily worse than it was before. There are the stories of the Dotbusters and whatnot in Jersey City in 1980s.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »

First I've heard of a law saying a requirement for Spanish. Checking the state's DOE website (sorry, can't link it ATM), it requires five credits in a world language. (in my case, I was a cheese eating surrender monkey for two years)

Yes, that sounded false to me also.
In California, students were required to take another (any) language course (it was one or two years minimum) if you planed to attend an in-state 4 year college.
It didn't have to be Spanish. You could select any language the school taught : French, German, Spanish, etc.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »

Indeed. It's one of these things where native White residents freak out once they realize that they're - gasp - less than 50 percent of the population.

For reference, Edison is 47.2% Asian and 34.9% White, so the ship has sailed a long time ago.

Anyways, you are right at this brewing for a long time, not just in Edison but throught the whole state. Besides my own personal experiences, such racism included local talk radio stations freely dispensing with anti-Asian and anti-Hispanic racial slurs and TIME columnist Joel Stein writing about Edison's growing Indian-American population in an "insular and misguided" way. More recently you had the mock slave auction in Maplewood and a teacher who has recently returned to work (!) after telling students to speak American.

Geez, I think I made New Jersey seem more racist than Alabama!

As for your last example, most Americans, perhaps even Democrats, have overly pessimistic view of cultural assimilation, such as language.

But in my personal experience through traveling around the world, I am pleasantly surprised at how well people speak English today. And these include people that have absolutely no desire to emigrate to US in their lifetime.

Many people that want to move usually do speak some conversational English and if not, usually have the desire to learn to a certain extent to be hired.

In NYC, my home city where 100+ languages are spoken, most tourists speak some kind of English. It's a global world. The irrationality behind "Speak American" is empirically unfounded, and even if true, immigrants have every right to speak in a different language in their private time.
kyc0705

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »

https://patch.com/new-jersey/baskingridge/and-most-racist-place-america-iscloser-you-think

NJ is above average in racism, Southern NJ, more so than Northern NJ. As someone who goes to NJ regularly, I can confirm that Southern NJ is more racist.

Racism is mostly a East vs West thing, not North vs South. It's most prominent in Appalachia.

As a racial minority who grew up (and still lives in) South Jersey, I can certainly attest to the prevalence of stereotyping and other types of “casual” racism. I’ve never thought it to be particularly egregious, but I can’t really make an accurate comparison to other areas.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »

Another flyer in Hoboken:

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies