Berghdal to plead guilty to desertion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:18:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Berghdal to plead guilty to desertion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Berghdal to plead guilty to desertion  (Read 1769 times)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »

As someone who comes from a family with many war veterans, a relative in every war since the American Revolution, Bergdahl not facing prison time (or even an execution), bothers me and my family very much.

If it were up to me, firing squad would be best for a snotty son of a bitch like himself.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2017, 10:21:55 PM by Alabama_Indy10 »

Do you get off on this or something? What's gained by this rhetoric?  

Also, FYI, the judge was Colonel Jeffery R. Nance of the Army, just to be clear. Courts-martial aren't historically known for their lienency - so the judge obviously must have been quite sure that being beaten with copper cables and held in a metal cage that was less than seven feet, all the while having dysentery for five years was sufficient punishment. Let alone that someone with his mental health issues had no business even being allowed in the Army or serving in it.

Are you asking me or the person I quoted it from??

First off, it't not rhetoric. I believe that is what he deserved. Second, don't forget, he did it to himself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »

This Colonel should be busted down to private and spend the rest of his time cleaning latrines. 
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

This Colonel should be busted down to private and spend the rest of his time cleaning latrines. 

At the very least, he should be stripped of any future authority over military cases.

And Bergdahl's case should be examined with a fine-toothed comb to determine any further civilian charges, including any information he potentially shared with his captors. If in fact any evidence is found, he should face a civilian trial for treason.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »

The Judge did the right thing.

Whatever Berghdal's culpability, the man endured a captivity where he was, indeed, "beaten with copper cables and held in a metal cage that was less than seven feet, all the while having dysentery for five years".  That, plus his past and present psychiatric issues are, IMO, sufficient mitigating factors in sentencing.  I have little doubt that Bowe Berghdal's life, as of now, is a living hell.

"The Lord delights in Just Verdicts."  I believe this was a just verdict, and the Judge needs to be commended.

Donald Trump was out of line in his comments about Berghdal.  This is clearly a case of a need to temper justice with mercy, based on the TOTALITY of circumstances.  If it's not OK to look at only Berghdal's suffering, it's also not OK to only look at the men who died trying to find Berghdal.  Trump should have shut up in this.  And the thing that upsets me about Trump's conduct in this is that his motivation in the Berghdal matter appeared to be solely to embarrass Obama over trading enemy combatants to get Berghdal.  I pray that Bowe Berghdal and his shattered life be rebuilt by an all-powerful God that I pray he comes to know as Lord and Savior.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

Everyone in this thread reminds me of my friend's boss who has never served a day in his life but covers his truck in tons of RESPECT THE TROOPS stuff and thinks Jack Nicholson is supposed to be the good guy in A Few Good Men.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »

It's interesting that this guy, who legitimately put our troops in further danger, is worthy of forgiveness and mercy in the mind of Fuzzy Bear. No seriously, it's surprising to me.

He might've had a psychological defense, but I don't understand why he wasn't at least hit for false enlistment.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »

It's interesting that this guy, who legitimately put our troops in further danger, is worthy of forgiveness and mercy in the mind of Fuzzy Bear. No seriously, it's surprising to me.

He might've had a psychological defense, but I don't understand why he wasn't at least hit for false enlistment.

No one is "worthy" of forgiveness, but to not take into account the suffering Bergdahl already has endured (both the length and the depth) is cruel and unusual punishment. 

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »

I mean, a duck dinner itself is a serious (and deserved) punishment. It is the equivalent of a felony that he will spend the rest of his life paying for, even if he is not rotting in a military prison.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »

wow I'm finding myself agreeing with Fuzzy Bear more than anyone else.

Horseshoe Theory is real, folks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies