NH-1: Shea-Porter (D) to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:57:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-1: Shea-Porter (D) to retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: NH-1: Shea-Porter (D) to retire  (Read 6724 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »

NH is pretty susceptible to political winds. If Republicans have a better year than expected, this seat could definitely flip. In a good year for Democrats, they probably hold it. Democrats can't rest easy here, though, since Guinta was scandal-plagued and still only lost by 1%.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »

NH is pretty susceptible to political winds. If Republicans have a better year than expected, this seat could definitely flip. In a good year for Democrats, they probably hold it. Democrats can't rest easy here, though, since Guinta was scandal-plagued and still only lost by 1%.

Agreed. NH-1 was awfully close given Gunita's scandal, and Trump won here. This may be a tough hold for dems.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »

Agreed. NH-1 was awfully close given Gunita's scandal, and Trump won here. This may be a tough hold for dems.

It was close because a really wealthy sore loser who lost the Democratic primary ran a third-party campaign to try to sink Shea-Porter and got like 9%.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »

Lol. Well, RIP FF, this is actually pretty sad news (NH-01 can definitely do A LOT worse than CSP). Democrats should still win the GE fairly easily, and I expect NH-01 to be just as Democratic-friendly as NH-02 very soon (it's trending strongly Democratic, whether people like it or not).

2012: 50% CSP, 46% Guinta
2012: 50% Obama, 49% Romney
2014: 52% Guinta, 48% CSP
2016: 44% CSP, 43% Guinta
2016: 48% Trump, 47% Clinton

How is it "trending strongly Democratic"?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »

Lol. Well, RIP FF, this is actually pretty sad news (NH-01 can definitely do A LOT worse than CSP). Democrats should still win the GE fairly easily, and I expect NH-01 to be just as Democratic-friendly as NH-02 very soon (it's trending strongly Democratic, whether people like it or not).

I know Republicans did better in NH in 2016 than I and many other people expected, but I'm pretty sure that this district is still trending Democratic in the long term. All that attention as well as time and money spent in NH by the Republicans and they couldn't even win one of the three "big competitive" races (PRES, SEN, NH-01) despite the fact that 2016 was a very good year for them in general. They also lost two races that "should" have been competitive in 2014 (SEN, GOV). Yeah, Trump and Ayotte won the district, but it was a lot closer than it should have been if NH were really still a true swing state. Ayotte needed to win NH-01 by more than she actually did, and she even did worse than Scott Brown in Rockingham County. Sununu did well there, but he was running as a moderate (who is fairly liberal on many social issues) and against an awful opponent. We'll see how kind NH voters will be to him and his fellow Republicans in 2018.

Either way, even if you're convinced that NH is a pure Tossup/swing state, you'll have to admit that the Democrats' floor here and in NH-02 is very high, much higher than it was a decade ago or so. Given all the demographic changes as well as the fact that the GOP has been alienating enough moderate voters (including some former Republicans) with some of their positions and rhetoric on controversial social and economic issues, I don't expect the outlook for the NH GOP to be much rosier in the future either. The NH GOP is definitely in big trouble IMO.

Well, I'll give you one thing: much like the state parties in North Dakota and Kansas, the NHGOP's bench is absolutely dreadful. I don't buy that New Hampshire is organically becoming some far-left super-bastion, but NH state Republicans are creating a dire situation for themselves all on their own when Ayotte and Sununu are the only seriously decent candidates they have left. Beyond those two, all they have - or at least so it seems to me - is a bench full of Guintas and Lamontagnes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »

is there any chance Kelly Ayotte runs here? I know it would be a step down from the Senate, but may be her quickest and easiest way back into public office if she wants to return to that.

Rare, but not really unprecedented (Claude Pepper).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »

I know Republicans did better in NH in 2016 than I and many other people expected, but I'm pretty sure that this district is still trending Democratic in the long term. All that attention as well as time and money spent in NH by the Republicans and they couldn't even win one of the three "big competitive" races (PRES, SEN, NH-01) despite the fact that 2016 was a very good year for them in general. They also lost two races that "should" have been competitive in 2014 (SEN, GOV). Yeah, Trump and Ayotte won the district, but it was a lot closer than it should have been if NH were really still a true swing state. Ayotte needed to win NH-01 by more than she actually did, and she even did worse than Scott Brown in Rockingham County. Sununu did well there, but he was running as a moderate (who is fairly liberal on many social issues) and against an awful opponent. We'll see how kind NH voters will be to him and his fellow Republicans in 2018.

Either way, even if you're convinced that NH is a pure Tossup/swing state, you'll have to admit that the Democrats' floor here and in NH-02 is very high, much higher than it was a decade ago or so. Given all the demographic changes as well as the fact that the GOP has been alienating enough moderate voters (including some former Republicans) with some of their positions and rhetoric on controversial social and economic issues, I don't expect the outlook for the NH GOP to be much rosier in the future either. The NH GOP is definitely in big trouble IMO.

I think NH is a fairly competitive state with a decisively Democratic lean, but I do not think the 1st CD is the reason.  It is still the only reason Republicans have any chance there, ever.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »

I don't think dems will have too much trouble holding the seat here, the main reason 2016 was so close was because of that dumbass Shawn O’Connor.

And because of guintas corruption. He would've won if he was clean

I doubt it.  He was always way to conservative for the district either.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »

These are the potential Democratic candidates according to www.politics1.com

Renny Cushing (D) - State Rep. & Progressive Activist
Mark MacKenzie (D) - State Rep., Ex-State AFL-CIO President & Retired Firefighter
Steve Marchand (D) - Ex-Portsmouth Mayor, Consultant, '16 Candidate & '08 US Sen. Candidate
Mindi Messmer (D) - State Rep. & Environmental Consultant
Terie Norelli (D) - Ex-State House Speaker & Ex-Teacher
Chris Pappas (D) - Executive Councilor & Restaurant Owner
Stefany Shaheen (D) - Ex-Portsmouth City Councilor, Businesswoman & Ex-Management Consultant
Lincoln Soldati (D) - Ex-Somersworth Mayor & Ex-Strafford County Attorney
Donna Soucy (D) - State Sen., Ex-State Rep., Ex-Manchester Alderman & Attorney
Maura Sullivan (D) - Ex-US Asst Secretary of Veterans Affairs & Iraq War Veteran
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »

I think NH is a fairly competitive state with a decisively Democratic lean, but I do not think the 1st CD is the reason.  It is still the only reason Republicans have any chance there, ever.

The thing is here like almost every state, the residents are more republican leaning its just the colleges that throw it the other way. Like the 1st district has to deal with UNH (very popular among MA students; which is why I live here now) and the 2nd has to deal with Keene and Dartmouth (Harvard in the woods).
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »

I think NH is a fairly competitive state with a decisively Democratic lean, but I do not think the 1st CD is the reason.  It is still the only reason Republicans have any chance there, ever.

The thing is here like almost every state, the residents are more republican leaning its just the colleges that throw it the other way. Like the 1st district has to deal with UNH (very popular among MA students; which is why I live here now) and the 2nd has to deal with Keene and Dartmouth (Harvard in the woods).

None of those make up a very significant portion of their district's population though.   They give the dems a small boost but they can't carry the whole district, especially with youth turnout how it is and their propensity to vote third party.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »

I think NH is a fairly competitive state with a decisively Democratic lean, but I do not think the 1st CD is the reason.  It is still the only reason Republicans have any chance there, ever.

None of those make up a very significant portion of their district's population though.   They give the dems a small boost but they can't carry the whole district, especially with youth turnout how it is and their propensity to vote third party.

Dartmouth literally gave Hilary the state last year. I think she won the town of Hanover by 6000 votes and 88% of it in that one town
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:13 PM »

I will Echo the sentiments that Democrats are actually stronger without CSP as a candidate here.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »

Dartmouth literally gave Hilary the state last year. I think she won the town of Hanover by 6000 votes and 88% of it in that one town

Well yeah, it's a swing state, you can blame any Democratic-voting area if you want. If the entire state is trending massively in one direction though, colleges or lack thereof are not going to change that.
Nichlemn

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 12:19:04 AM »

The NH GOP may be doing a bit worse than when they had a lot of Judd Gregg-type candidates, but there's no real evidence that the state is turning into a Democratic bastion. It's had pretty much the same Presidential lean since 1992 with a variety of different Republicans.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 02:17:55 AM »

"[Macomb County] literally gave [Trump] the state last year."
"[Lancaster County] literally gave [Trump] the state last year."
"[Waukesha County] literally gave [Trump] the state last year."

See how ridiculous your argument is?

I always thought Dartmouth was a conservative university.  I think there is a difference in that a lot of the students at these Ivy League Universities anyway (if Dartmouth is Ivy League) aren't planning to be permanent residents of the state, and once they're done with college, they'll leave the state.  That is obviously mostly different with residents of Macomb County and so on.

Of course, since all votes are equal, as a practical matter, the argument still doesn't make a difference.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:28 AM »

"Trump won the popular vote if you don't count California.  Trump won everywhere if you don't count the people that didn't vote for him."
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »

Yeah I'm gonna have to ask yall to not quote the entire past three pages when making a convo
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »

I always thought Dartmouth was a conservative university.  I think there is a difference in that a lot of the students at these Ivy League Universities anyway (if Dartmouth is Ivy League) aren't planning to be permanent residents of the state, and once they're done with college, they'll leave the state.  That is obviously mostly different with residents of Macomb County and so on.

Of course, since all votes are equal, as a practical matter, the argument still doesn't make a difference.

No Dartmouth is definitely pretty liberal,  that whole area of Grafton is heavily Democratic.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »

No Dartmouth is definitely pretty liberal,  that whole area of Grafton is heavily Democratic.

Dartmouth is the most "conservative ivy" and has that perception because Laura Ingram, Dinesh D'Souza, and a lot of other conservatives had attended. That being said, a "conservative" Ivy League School does not exist. A more accurate depiction is it being the least liberal, but it is still more liberal than that average University. 
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »

Specifically that string of 3 towns along the river, Lebanon, Hanover, and Lyme.
Here's Hanover (Dartmouth/Cambridge of New Hampshire) specifically
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 11:20:19 PM »

Another thing worth pointing out is that college towns are usually liberal because of the non-student population being so liberal, not because of college students who vote.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »

Another thing worth pointing out is that college towns are usually liberal because of the non-student population being so liberal, not because of college students who vote.
True you might be right there. Although I wonder what draws so many liberals to the area since I doubt Hanover, NH (pop 13000) is home to only Dartmouth Faculty. But you're probably right in the case of alot of Massachusetts towns like Easton and Bridgewater having good sized colleges but are pretty republican places. Although Stonehill and BSU are definitely not bastions of liberalism
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »

These are the potential Democratic candidates according to www.politics1.com

Renny Cushing (D) - State Rep. & Progressive Activist
Mark MacKenzie (D) - State Rep., Ex-State AFL-CIO President & Retired Firefighter
Steve Marchand (D) - Ex-Portsmouth Mayor, Consultant, '16 Candidate & '08 US Sen. Candidate
Mindi Messmer (D) - State Rep. & Environmental Consultant
Terie Norelli (D) - Ex-State House Speaker & Ex-Teacher
Chris Pappas (D) - Executive Councilor & Restaurant Owner
Stefany Shaheen (D) - Ex-Portsmouth City Councilor, Businesswoman & Ex-Management Consultant
Lincoln Soldati (D) - Ex-Somersworth Mayor & Ex-Strafford County Attorney
Donna Soucy (D) - State Sen., Ex-State Rep., Ex-Manchester Alderman & Attorney
Maura Sullivan (D) - Ex-US Asst Secretary of Veterans Affairs & Iraq War Veteran

Marchand is running for Governor, so it'll be interesting to see if he sticks with that or jumps in to this race.

Not to beat a dead horse, but to everyone mention Ayotte earlier -- she indeed lives in Nashua which is not in this district.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »

Pappas and Shaheen are probably the Democrats' best bets here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies