L7.5.1: Mandatory Vaccination Act 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L7.5.1: Mandatory Vaccination Act 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: L7.5.1: Mandatory Vaccination Act 2017  (Read 1469 times)
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:40:31 AM »

The Assembly will come to order!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We will now commence debate.

I call on the Honorable ReaganClinton, as I have heard that he is in the process of expanding the bill to include some specifics.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »

The Assembly will come to order!

We will now commence debate.

I call on the Honorable ReaganClinton, as I have heard that he is in the process of expanding the bill to include some specifics.

Thank you, Speaker lok. I have indeed been working on an expansion to the bill, as vaccinations have been a mandatory issue for quite a while now. This bill requires child vaccinations

That is my draft of the bill, I'd like my fellow colleagues to debate this.
kyc0705

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

A no-brainer. This is an important step forward for public heath in our region.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with the draft.

If there is no other activity, this amendment will be going to a vote.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

Several things:
1) A better definition of 'medical vaccination' should be used to ensure that people aren't getting certain vaccinations and not others.

2) What does 'within a 90-day period' mean? Within a 90-day period of the bill's passage? Since 'any child' is defined as a person under the age of 18, this implies that all children (even those who are already vaccinated) would be required to be vaccinated within the 90-day period.

3) What is the 'predetermined amount of money'?

4) The bill implies that vaccinations are required, but then says that schools may decide if they require students to be vaccinated. If vaccinations are required anyway, why is the school bit even in the bill? And what exactly is the definition of a 'community-based area?'
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »

Several things:
1) A better definition of 'medical vaccination' should be used to ensure that people aren't getting certain vaccinations and not others.

2) What does 'within a 90-day period' mean? Within a 90-day period of the bill's passage? Since 'any child' is defined as a person under the age of 18, this implies that all children (even those who are already vaccinated) would be required to be vaccinated within the 90-day period.

4) The bill implies that vaccinations are required, but then says that schools may decide if they require students to be vaccinated. If vaccinations are required anyway, why is the school bit even in the bill? And what exactly is the definition of a 'community-based area?'

Response:
1. I mean, I think "medical vaccinations" is self explanatory.
2. It means 'get the vaccination' within a determined 90-day period, I'm gonna say from June 1st to August 1st.
3. I wanted "Predetermined amount of money" to be debated.
4. This is refering to articles 2 and 3.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »

Several things:

Response:
1. I mean, I think "medical vaccinations" is self explanatory.
2. It means 'get the vaccination' within a determined 90-day period, I'm gonna say from June 1st to August 1st.
3. I wanted "Predetermined amount of money" to be debated.
4. This is refering to articles 2 and 3.

1+2. The reason why this needs to be defined is that some 'medical vaccinations' are typically given at certain ages and within certain age ranges. For instance, the CDC recommends that the meningococcal conjugate vaccine be given to children between 11 and 12 years of age, with a booster at age 16. Requiring 'medical vaccinations' (whatever that is defined as) to be given all at once within a 90-day period is a bit strange. I think the 90-day requirement should be removed and replaced with 'as recommended by healthcare professionals' (which was in the original bill) or 'as recommended by the CDC', or something of that nature.

3. Obviously your fellow assemblymen didn't read the bill very closely, because they were about to take this to a vote.

4. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »

FYI, this bill is really going to have to mention specific names of vaccines (beyond "polio vaccine," "measles vaccine," etc.) in order for it to even be enforceable.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »

Alright, I'll see what I can do to address some of these issues, but while I do that, is like to also ask my fellow Assemblymen to debate the "predetermined amount of money."
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 03:51:47 AM »

I think that the fine should be around $750-$1,000, with the fine increasing if the fine is not paid.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »

I think that the fine should be around $750-$1,000, with the fine increasing if the fine is not paid.

That's a good idea, but what is the time frame for the amount increasing? Daily? Monthly? Personally, i think it should increase by about $50-$100 every week not vaccinated.
kyc0705

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »

That's a good idea, but what is the time frame for the amount increasing? Daily? Monthly? Personally, i think it should increase by about $50-$100 every week not vaccinated.

I'd start at a middle ground fine, like $875 or so, and increase it by $50 per week. We must be proactive, but not draconian.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »

I'd start at a middle ground fine, like $875 or so, and increase it by $50 per week. We must be proactive, but not draconian.

With no objections, I will include K.Y.C.'s proposal in the second proposition.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »

Okay so I should really defend this bill since I introduced it, but I introduced this mainly for the debate. I think the issue of public safety vs individual rights can be a really interesting argument, whether it is on this issue or another one. In this one though, it is pretty clear that there is no reason to not get vaccinated. (It does actually save lives, and the excuse that it may be against some religions isn't accurate; no religion explicitly goes against vaccines.) I think ensuring that children get the necessary vaccinations before they go to a public school is a good way to make sure that the population is vaccinated well enough to at least establish herd immunity.

Of course, a bill that requires vaccination in any way still has to be well written and have good details. ReaganClinton's proposed bill is a decent start. But I have a few problems with it, or rather what ReaganClinton has said. For one, what if someone wants to vaccinate their kid in May? Is this law not allowing that? Or would they have to get the same vaccination again? Also, June 1 to August 1 is less than 90 days. And I'm personally against fines as a punishment in this issue.

So I've come up with a summary of what should be in the bill, at least in my opinion:

• In order to be enrolled in Kindergarten, the child must have had their HepB vaccine, DTaP vaccine, Hib vaccine, IPV vaccine, PCV vaccine, RV vaccine, flu vaccine, Varicella vaccine, MMR vaccine, and HepA vaccine. In order to be enrolled in eighth grade, a child must have had their Meningococcal conjugate vaccine, HPV vaccine, Tdap vaccine, and flu vaccine, along with all the vaccines previously mentioned. (This is based off of this CDC link.)
  • Thi is a requirement in order to go to public school and nothing else.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2017, 10:04:19 PM by Assemblyman ReaganClinton20XX »

Okay so I should really defend this bill since I introduced it, but I introduced this mainly for the debate. I think the issue of public safety vs individual rights can be a really interesting argument, whether it is on this issue or another one. In this one though, it is pretty clear that there is no reason to not get vaccinated. (It does actually save lives, and the excuse that it may be against some religions isn't accurate; no religion explicitly goes against vaccines.) I think ensuring that children get the necessary vaccinations before they go to a public school is a good way to make sure that the population is vaccinated well enough to at least establish herd immunity.

Of course, a bill that requires vaccination in any way still has to be well written and have good details. ReaganClinton's proposed bill is a decent start. But I have a few problems with it, or rather what ReaganClinton has said. For one, what if someone wants to vaccinate their kid in May? Is this law not allowing that? Or would they have to get the same vaccination again? Also, June 1 to August 1 is less than 90 days. And I'm personally against fines as a punishment in this issue.

So I've come up with a summary of what should be in the bill, at least in my opinion:

• In order to be enrolled in Kindergarten, the child must have had their HepB vaccine, DTaP vaccine, Hib vaccine, IPV vaccine, PCV vaccine, RV vaccine, flu vaccine, Varicella vaccine, MMR vaccine, and HepA vaccine. In order to be enrolled in eighth grade, a child must have had their Meningococcal conjugate vaccine, HPV vaccine, Tdap vaccine, and flu vaccine, along with all the vaccines previously mentioned. (This is based off of this CDC link.)

Thank you, Governor Wells. I have taken your ideas into consideration, and while I don't agree with you on the fines, I have expanded the time frame, included required vaccines, and have added another amount that I'd like the Assembly to debate. Also, to respond to why I included a time frame, it's because I wanted to be fair to people who don't have the most time in the world, but to also keep them in line and to keep track of the ones who refused to get their kids vaccinated.

RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »

Anything?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »

Well, I think that it's much more detailed than the first amendment, which I admit I didn't really look all that ckosely at.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »

Well, I think that it's much more detailed than the first amendment, which I admit I didn't really look all that closely at.

Well, okay, but can we debate the amount and have a final vote?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »

I still have an issue with a few detail the bill looks like it needs. What is the point of the period? I think it would just be easier to say that they are required by a deadline instead of also having a start date, which I think only confuses things. At the very least, maybe some specifics could do around the time period. Does it occur annually? Does it last 4 months, 1 year and 4 months, 100 years and 4 months? Does it only happen once or does it repeat? It doesn't really say.

The bill mentions that all the vaccines are required within "the 18 year period" which makes it seem like the period from section 1 lasts 18 years. In which case someone born tomorrow would not be required to get any vaccines until May 1 of next year, which seems odd since vaccines would not be required of them for the first seven months of their life. (And it would last until September 2035, for nearly a year after they turn 18, which seems to make the bill contradict itself.) Unless "the 18 year period" is another period of time that has not been previously mentioned yet in the bill (and won't be mentioned again), which is also confusing.

This bill also doesn't give the recommended age ranges for these vaccines, which could cause some problems. The requirements to have certain vaccines in order to enroll in certain grades was to make sure that children got their vaccines when doctors recommend they receive them, instead of just putting in law that they have 18 years to get any of them whenever. (Of course doctors will likely administer them in the right order, but the law should still be clearer.)

This is mostly good, but what vaccines should the schools require they have? Are there elementary schools that will turn away students because they don't have the HPV vaccine?

I still have the same requirements of this bill as I did :

RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »

I still have an issue with a few detail the bill looks like it needs. What is the point of the period? I think it would just be easier to say that they are required by a deadline instead of also having a start date, which I think only confuses things. At the very least, maybe some specifics could do around the time period. Does it occur annually? Does it last 4 months, 1 year and 4 months, 100 years and 4 months? Does it only happen once or does it repeat? It doesn't really say.

The bill mentions that all the vaccines are required within "the 18 year period" which makes it seem like the period from section 1 lasts 18 years. In which case someone born tomorrow would not be required to get any vaccines until May 1 of next year, which seems odd since vaccines would not be required of them for the first seven months of their life. (And it would last until September 2035, for nearly a year after they turn 18, which seems to make the bill contradict itself.) Unless "the 18 year period" is another period of time that has not been previously mentioned yet in the bill (and won't be mentioned again), which is also confusing.

This bill also doesn't give the recommended age ranges for these vaccines, which could cause some problems. The requirements to have certain vaccines in order to enroll in certain grades was to make sure that children got their vaccines when doctors recommend they receive them, instead of just putting in law that they have 18 years to get any of them whenever. (Of course doctors will likely administer them in the right order, but the law should still be clearer.)

This is mostly good, but what vaccines should the schools require they have? Are there elementary schools that will turn away students because they don't have the HPV vaccine?

I still have the same requirements of this bill as I did :

Now that you mention it, a deadline is a good idea. I'll agree with you on that. "The 18 year period" was on me, It really should've said in the span of the child's lifetime (aka from Birth to 18 years of age.)  As for the recommended ages of getting the vaccines, I'm no doctor, but I'll see what I can do, and that'll tie into what vaccines schools would reject a person for.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »

I will present the final bill tomorrow evening.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »

I would like to call for a vote if there are no outstanding objections
kyc0705

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »

In my capacity as acting speaker, I will now call this bill to a final vote.

Aye.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »

Aye
Lachi