Macron turns into unlikeable working-class-bashing douche
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:49:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Macron turns into unlikeable working-class-bashing douche
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Macron turns into unlikeable working-class-bashing douche  (Read 2368 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/05/emmanuel-macron-sparks-furore-telling-protesting-workers-stop
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »

Macron really should refrain from making these comments and focus on reforming France (that one time when he called factory workers illiterate was terrible). But I don't really feel sorry for the people ravaging Paris every time the French government tries to reform the labour market (and didn't he mean them by "slackers"?). Anyway, hopefully they'll stop complaining when Macron's flawless beautiful economic reforms help France achieve full employment by the 2020s Smiley.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »

Were the protesting workers "wreaking havoc"? 
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 09:10:42 AM »

He always was one, just can't hide anymore now that everyone hates him
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »

I'm sure people who are much more familiar with French politics than I am will have a better sense of whether my point makes sense, but I think the comparison to the Thatcher government here is not only apt, but is entirely the comparison Macron wants.

As Thatcher said "this lady is not for turning" I think Macron knows that as his economic reforms are being implemented there will be an enormous number of strikes and Macron is deliberately creating an image of a tough, uncaring semi dictatorial leader to show that he won't be intimidated in the face of these strikes and that he no striker should expect him to back down.

Although it took the Falklands War in the U.K to get Thatcher reelected, Thatcher's tough style ultimately paid off in terms of getting her reforms through and in terms of long term electoral success (for her Conservative Party, anyway.)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »

Yeah, literally nothing about this is new for him. This is why I told people on this forum, back when it was the height of the French election, that I wouldn't have voted for him and that he'd ultimately strengthen the far-right in France.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »

Ugh cosmopolitan technocrats like him are vile. A lot of Democrats love this guy, I hate to say.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »

Yeah, literally nothing about this is new for him. This is why I told people on this forum, back when it was the height of the French election, that I wouldn't have voted for him and that he'd ultimately strengthen the far-right in France.

Well, if the Left had actually gotten it sh*t together and actually united behind a candidate, they could've actually won, but no, as usual, infighting.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »

Well, if the Left had actually gotten it sh*t together and actually united behind a candidate, they could've actually won, but no, as usual, infighting.

Infighting was everywhere, that's how Macron got in. And had Hamon somehow dropped out and his supporters given just enough to put Melenchon over the line, the battle would've been a fight against the far-left, which would've strengthened the far-right anyway.

It'd have taken Fillon vs Melenchon, and to get a Melenchon win [somehow] to stop this outcome.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:09 PM »

Infighting was everywhere, that's how Macron got in. And had Hamon somehow dropped out and his supporters given just enough to put Melenchon over the line, the battle would've been a fight against the far-left, which would've strengthened the far-right anyway.

It'd have taken Fillon vs Melenchon, and to get a Melenchon win [somehow] to stop this outcome.

Melenchon could've defeated Le Pen.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 06:00:39 AM »

Melenchon could've defeated Le Pen.

Yeah, iirc Le Pen lost against everyone, and only against Fillon did she have a remote chance (55-45 for Fillon). Against Melenchon polls were predicting 60-40 for him iirc.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 06:10:15 AM »

I doubt Mélenchon would have defeated Fillon. Mélenchon led him in the polls, but there wasn't much attention for the possibility as they basically were tied for third in the polls. The entire global establishment probably would rush to Fillon in a Mélenchon vs Fillon match-up because of Mélenchon's EU views, and the stock market would have crashed. I think that might have been enough to push Fillon over the top (and Macron probably would have endorsed Fillon as well). Pensioners voted for Macron en masse because they knew Le Pen's EU plan would screw them (despite agreeing with Le Pen on basically everything else lol). Meanwhile Fillon basically was the pensioners' candidate (dude literally got 45% of people aged 70 or over in the first round) while Mélenchon would be an even worse fit for them.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 06:37:18 AM »

I doubt Mélenchon would have defeated Fillon. Mélenchon led him in the polls, but there wasn't much attention for the possibility as they basically were tied for third in the polls. The entire global establishment probably would rush to Fillon in a Mélenchon vs Fillon match-up because of Mélenchon's EU views, and the stock market would have crashed. I think that might have been enough to push Fillon over the top (and Macron probably would have endorsed Fillon as well). Pensioners voted for Macron en masse because they knew Le Pen's EU plan would screw them (despite agreeing with Le Pen on basically everything else lol). Meanwhile Fillon basically was the pensioners' candidate (dude literally got 45% of people aged 70 or over in the first round) while Mélenchon would be an even worse fit for them.

I agree that Fillon would have won against Melenchon. Some of Le Pen's voters would have defected to Fillon (if not most), because he's conservative and against too much immigration.
swl
France

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »

Macron was in a small town visiting a factory that is firing people. He was received by a group of demonstrators from the labor unions. Some local official told him that there is a another factory 10 kilometers away that is hiring and struggles to find employees.
Macron replied that the demonstrators should look for work there instead of wreaking havoc.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »

Macron really should refrain from making these comments and focus on reforming France (that one time when he called factory workers illiterate was terrible).

Agreed. This statement was terrible and he really should've given a stronger apology.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »

"Turns into"?

I'd rather say he merely showed his true colors.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Macron was in a small town visiting a factory that is firing people. He was received by a group of demonstrators from the labor unions. Some local official told him that there is a another factory 10 kilometers away that is hiring and struggles to find employees.
Macron replied that the demonstrators should look for work there instead of wreaking havoc.

Also some of the workers threatened to blow up the factory if all the jobs are not saved.
But even if the behavior of some people is inacceptable that doesn't allow the President to speak like that.

But it seems that it doesn't hurt him, a new poll shows today that he regains some popularity (confirmed by other pollsters since the end of September).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »

Maybe I should have Atlas-endorsed Melenchon after all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 12:17:42 AM »

Turns? People didn't realize that he was a far right-wing corporatist before? Even Fillon or Le Pen would have been slightly better.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:58 AM »

Turns? People didn't realize that he was a far right-wing corporatist before? Even Fillon or Le Pen would have been slightly better.

Okay so jfern supporting a far-right nationalist over a centrist is completely predictable, but supporting a corrupt center-right reformist like Fillon over one as well? I cannot say I expected that.

As for what Macron said here, it's in pretty poor taste.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:24 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2017, 12:26:26 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Okay so jfern supporting a far-right nationalist over a centrist is completely predictable, but supporting a corrupt center-right reformist like Fillon over one as well? I cannot say I expected that.

I support none of the 3 candidates I mentioned. I supported Melenchon and supported Hamon before I saw that Melenchon had a better chance. I would have abstained in any runoff that didn't have one of those 2 candidates.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 12:27:28 AM »

I support none of the 3 candidates I mentioned. I supported Melenchon and supported Hamon before I saw that Melenchon had a better chance.

Stop obfuscating as usual. You just said:

Even Fillon or Le Pen would have been slightly better.

It's an open-and-shut case. We know you have an affinity for certain right-wingers when necessary.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »

Macron is just a more reformist version of Hollande (Third Way). Fillon would have been (or he would have tried to be) France's Thatcher. Macron wanted to cut spending by 60 billion, Fillon by 100 billion, Macron wanted some labour reforms, Fillon wanted to reduce the labour code from 3400 pages to 150 pages, Macron wanted to keep the 35 hour work week somewhat intact, Fillon wanted to repeal it entirely. Macron promised to cut 120,000 public sector jobs, Fillon wanted to cut 500,000 public sector jobs. And Fillon wanted to slash taxes by 50 billion (40 billion for businesses) while Macron only cuts them by 20 billion. Fillon also was really socially conservative, while Macron is quite liberal on social issues.

It's a shame Fillon turned out to be hilariously corrupt, he truly could have made France great again Cry. I still would have voted for him (I'm a VVD member so I'm kinda used to crooked politicians Tongue).

Anyway, Political Compass also claimed that Macron to the right of Fillon on economic issues, so perhaps that's where his claim comes from.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 06:39:26 AM »

Anyway, Political Compass also claimed that Macron to the right of Fillon on economic issues, so perhaps that's where his claim comes from.

If so....taking Political Compass seriously. LOL!
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:06 AM »

I think this graph may go some way to explaining how Macron can be both a liberal while trying to implement some economic policies that are seen as right wing in France.  Although the mix of taxes makes a difference (Denmark has a strong economy) the mainstream economic view is that government spending higher than around 40% of GDP produces a drag on an economy.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies