Macron turns into unlikeable working-class-bashing douche
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:56:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Macron turns into unlikeable working-class-bashing douche
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Macron turns into unlikeable working-class-bashing douche  (Read 2349 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »

I think this graph may go some way to explaining how Macron can be both a liberal while trying to implement some economic policies that are seen as right wing in France. 

Again, applying the U.S. sense of the word 'liberal' to other countries. Most liberals in Europe are right-wing on economics.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »

I think this graph may go some way to explaining how Macron can be both a liberal while trying to implement some economic policies that are seen as right wing in France. 

Again, applying the U.S. sense of the word 'liberal' to other countries. Most liberals in Europe are right-wing on economics.

I'll take you at your word on that, but the Liberal Party in the U.K was the centrist/left leaning party.  John Maynard Keynes was a member of the Liberal Party for his entire adult life.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2017, 10:37:54 AM by Tintrlvr »

I think this graph may go some way to explaining how Macron can be both a liberal while trying to implement some economic policies that are seen as right wing in France.  Although the mix of taxes makes a difference (Denmark has a strong economy) the mainstream economic view is that government spending higher than around 40% of GDP produces a drag on an economy.

There are other causes. I believe France spends a considerably higher percentage of GDP on its military than Denmark or Germany, e.g.

Macron is Macron. I don't really see anything wrong with his policies (the striking workers in this instance are really acting ridiculous), but I do agree that his tone has at times been less than great, distracting and prevented him from being as effective than he might otherwise be.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »

He always was one, just can't hide anymore now that everyone hates him

Yeah, literally nothing about this is new for him. This is why I told people on this forum, back when it was the height of the French election, that I wouldn't have voted for him and that he'd ultimately strengthen the far-right in France.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, if the Left had actually gotten it sh*t together and actually united behind a candidate, they could've actually won, but no, as usual, infighting.

Infighting was everywhere, that's how Macron got in. And had Hamon somehow dropped out and his supporters given just enough to put Melenchon over the line, the battle would've been a fight against the far-left, which would've strengthened the far-right anyway.

It'd have taken Fillon vs Melenchon, and to get a Melenchon win [somehow] to stop this outcome.

Melenchon could've defeated Le Pen.

I'm not so sure of that.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2017, 01:09:42 PM by mvd10 »

He always was one, just can't hide anymore now that everyone hates him

Yeah, literally nothing about this is new for him. This is why I told people on this forum, back when it was the height of the French election, that I wouldn't have voted for him and that he'd ultimately strengthen the far-right in France.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, if the Left had actually gotten it sh*t together and actually united behind a candidate, they could've actually won, but no, as usual, infighting.

Infighting was everywhere, that's how Macron got in. And had Hamon somehow dropped out and his supporters given just enough to put Melenchon over the line, the battle would've been a fight against the far-left, which would've strengthened the far-right anyway.

It'd have taken Fillon vs Melenchon, and to get a Melenchon win [somehow] to stop this outcome.

Melenchon could've defeated Le Pen.

I'm not so sure of that.

Nah, I think Mélenchon would have defeated Le Pen. But it doesn't really matter as I doubt either of them would have won a majority in parliament because of the complete f**ing chaos a Mélenchon or (especially) Le Pen victory would have caused. The buyers remorse would have been huge after a stock market crash.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »

I'll take you at your word on that, but the Liberal Party in the U.K was the centrist/left leaning party.  John Maynard Keynes was a member of the Liberal Party for his entire adult life.

The U.K. is an exception to that. Most other liberals are right-wingers on economics.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 10:08:10 PM »

Melenchon 2022
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »

My man.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »

He's turning into a Lil' Trump. That stunt he pulled at the U-20, standing next to Trump, truly meant something.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »

This last two months Mélenchon has:
-declared that it was the demonstrators who have brought down the nazis
-complained alongside with FN against the EU flag in the French national Assembly
-called Valls a nazi

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »

This last two months Mélenchon has:
-declared that it was the demonstrators who have brought down the nazis
-complained alongside with FN against the EU flag in the French national Assembly
-called Valls a nazi

This is basically why I can't see myself seriously support Melenchon (although Valls is a turd).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »

He's turning into a Lil' Trump. That stunt he pulled at the U-20, standing next to Trump, truly meant something.
He have always been Trump, both represent the wish to bring down the establishment.

As for Macron as politician, he's the kind of politician I love to hate, but I think France needed someone like him to change status quo.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies