A Republican I was speaking to...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:58:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Republican I was speaking to...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Republican I was speaking to...  (Read 2973 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:29:22 AM »

On vote suppression:

"Of course if we are to believe them, the Democrats aren't sleazy and unethical - they're straight up racist.  Their argument boils down to blacks being either too stupid or too lazy to get an ID.  Of course we don't believe them - we know their true intent is to make illegal voting easier."
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 05:46:26 AM »

Democrats are racist because they think oppressed people are oppresssed. Its racist to call a racist a racist.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:59:59 AM »

On vote suppression:

"Of course if we are to believe them, the Democrats aren't sleazy and unethical - they're straight up racist.  Their argument boils down to blacks being either too stupid or too lazy to get an ID.  Of course we don't believe them - we know their true intent is to make illegal voting easier."
But tell me again how the left calls everyone racist?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »

On vote suppression:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »

On vote suppression:

"Of course if we are to believe them, the Democrats aren't sleazy and unethical - they're straight up racist.  Their argument boils down to blacks being either too stupid or too lazy to get an ID.  Of course we don't believe them - we know their true intent is to make illegal voting easier."
That's why they are racist. BYRD!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:18:36 AM »

On vote suppression:

"Of course if we are to believe them, the Democrats aren't sleazy and unethical - they're straight up racist.  Their argument boils down to blacks being either too stupid or too lazy to get an ID.  Of course we don't believe them - we know their true intent is to make illegal voting easier."

Muh Dems r party of slavery!!!!!!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »

Anytime a conservative tries the "You know who the real racists are?" thing, you're talking to a racist.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

Anytime a conservative tries the "You know who the real racists are?" thing, you're talking to a racist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

How many conservatives do you believe actually think that registering to vote is any harder than it should be?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 01:52:25 PM »

My two most liberal friends are pretty racist ... not sure there is the correlation you're insinuating.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »

On vote suppression:

At this point, you bring up the financial argument, that getting the right ID takes money and resources that those in poverty and close to poverty do not have. And the poor are disproportionately nonwhite
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »

I don't really take issue with the statement. In Indiana You can get a free ID.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »

What kind of people don't have cars and can't get off work?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »

My question is, why are we putting in restrictions that are both not needed and also not even address the problem? In-person voter fraud is probably the least common form of voter fraud. It must just be a coincidence that it also helps reduce turnout among certain demographics that are not too friendly to Republicans.

If you want to discourage in-person voter fraud, require a picture be taken of all people trying to vote without an acceptable form of ID. No one is going to try and pull anything if they know you have their picture to use in a facial recognition search after or during the election. Everybody is latching onto photo ID as if it is the only solution. This is a pretty stunning lack of creativity.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »

My question is, why are we putting in restrictions that are both not needed and also not even address the problem? In-person voter fraud is probably the least common form of voter fraud. It must just be a coincidence that it also helps reduce turnout among certain demographics that are not too friendly to Republicans.

If you want to discourage in-person voter fraud, require a picture be taken of all people trying to vote without an acceptable form of ID. No one is going to try and pull anything if they know you have their picture to use in a facial recognition search after or during the election. Everybody is latching onto photo ID as if it is the only solution. This is a pretty stunning lack of creativity.

This is an excellent idea.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »

In Indiana? Basically everyone even in the inner city has a car, and even if they didn't they surely could find transportation and time off over the course of four years before the election.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »

Democrats are racist because they think oppressed people are oppresssed. Its racist to call a racist a racist.

Democrats might consider trying to explain how historical oppression relates to having or not having an ID, rather than just assuming it is obvious to everyone.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »

I think that would still have the same effect of ID laws. The idea is that some minorities/poor people are paranoid about law enforcement and thus don't want to go somewhere where they have to show ID, which would probably apply to having your picture taken at a government building too.

Don't really care one way or the other about the ID thing. It's easy to get an ID but requiring them to be shown wouldn't do much about voter fraud.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »

In Indiana? Basically everyone even in the inner city has a car

90% is not everyone.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Just 4% of Indianapolis residents live within a bus stop that has service at least every 15 minutes at midday.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...and this is the biggest assumption of all!  I think it's quite unlikely that anyone of any political orientation thinks of voting (and the requirements to do so) outside this forum very far from an election.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 06:19:08 PM »

In Indiana? Basically everyone even in the inner city has a car, and even if they didn't they surely could find transportation and time off over the course of four years before the election.
What about autistics? What about blind people? What about people in wheelchairs? What about people who don't have the hand-eye coordination needed to drive?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »

I think that would still have the same effect of ID laws. The idea is that some minorities/poor people are paranoid about law enforcement and thus don't want to go somewhere where they have to show ID, which would probably apply to having your picture taken at a government building too.

Don't really care one way or the other about the ID thing. It's easy to get an ID but requiring them to be shown wouldn't do much about voter fraud.

It's possible. I'm not sure what the effects are, but if this was implemented in more places than just New Hampshire, it might warrant a study.

Personally, I don't even feel that is necessary. There is no problem of in-person fraud. To me, this is completely for partisan gain and many Republican politicians and operatives have literally admitted as much over the years. None of this should be surprising though. A black Democratic president rides a wave of minorities and young people into office and suddenly voter fraud is a big deal again. Speaking of which, most voter fraud seems to be absentee-related, yet Republicans craving stricter laws often exempt the absentee process entirely, such as in North Carolina, a top-notch example of extreme partisanship gone wrong.

But if conservatives must have some sort of protection, imo, it would be better to go with the picture taking than strict photo ID requirements. In that case, at least it would only be paranoia holding them back rather than an ID requirement.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:57 AM »

And yet, requiring the same degree of effort in order to purchase firearms is somehow seen by nearly all Republicans as an unconstitutional affront to the 2nd Amendment.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 04:07:31 AM »

On vote suppression:

He replied to me:

You're right of course.  Long time Democrat Senator Robert Byrd got his start in politics as a recruiter for the Klu Klux Klan, and was a leader of his local chapter.  He was one of the Democrat Senators filibustering the Civil Rights Acts.

Other Democrats, such as the Kennedys, had no problem sharing a party with the Klan.  The party has always used race to divide the country, and continues to do so - including using race as an excuse to leave our voter registration system unsecure so their illegal alien mascots can vote.

You should add ''Byrd'' to the end of all your posts, as a reminder of who your handlers are.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »

On vote suppression:

He replied to me:

You're right of course.  Long time Democrat Senator Robert Byrd got his start in politics as a recruiter for the Klu Klux Klan, and was a leader of his local chapter.  He was one of the Democrat Senators filibustering the Civil Rights Acts.

Other Democrats, such as the Kennedys, had no problem sharing a party with the Klan.  The party has always used race to divide the country, and continues to do so - including using race as an excuse to leave our voter registration system unsecure so their illegal alien mascots can vote.

You should add ''Byrd'' to the end of all your posts, as a reminder of who your handlers are.

Do they even know where or who started that part of the Klan?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »

It's possible. I'm not sure what the effects are, but if this was implemented in more places than just New Hampshire, it might warrant a study.

Personally, I don't even feel that is necessary. There is no problem of in-person fraud. To me, this is completely for partisan gain and many Republican politicians and operatives have literally admitted as much over the years. None of this should be surprising though. A black Democratic president rides a wave of minorities and young people into office and suddenly voter fraud is a big deal again. Speaking of which, most voter fraud seems to be absentee-related, yet Republicans craving stricter laws often exempt the absentee process entirely, such as in North Carolina, a top-notch example of extreme partisanship gone wrong.

But if conservatives must have some sort of protection, imo, it would be better to go with the picture taking than strict photo ID requirements. In that case, at least it would only be paranoia holding them back rather than an ID requirement.

Too many Pubs have become fixated on voter ID at the polling place which is the back end of the process. Improper voting is far more likely due to voters who have moved and are casting ballots from the wrong address or due to registrations of people who aren't legal voting residents. So why not look at the front end?

The front end of the process is voter registration, and automatic voter registration can address the bulk of the registrations that result in improper voting. Drivers licence records have a photo ID and current address (most states require a new DL within a short period after moving). If the DLs are compliant with Real ID they are linked to citizenship info, too. For non-drivers any interaction with the state can produce the same type of record to be used for voter registration, including any address changes. Only those who don't drive and get no benefits from the state would have to register the old-fashioned way by applying in person at the appropriate office.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies