Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 03:33:36 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin)
| | |-+  Who will replace Theresa May as Conservative leader?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: ?
Boris Johnson   -20 (29.9%)
David Davis   -11 (16.4%)
Amber Rudd   -4 (6%)
Philip Hammond   -1 (1.5%)
Ruth Davidson   -1 (1.5%)
Jacob Rees-Mogg   -19 (28.4%)
Damian Green   -0 (0%)
Priti Patel   -4 (6%)
Liam Fox (joke option)   -0 (0%)
Michael Gove (see above)   -2 (3%)
Other vaguely prominent Tory   -1 (1.5%)
Somebody literally nobody has ever heard of   -4 (6%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Who will replace Theresa May as Conservative leader?  (Read 2579 times)
Çråbçæk
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:52:04 am »
Ignore

Assuming she won't face the next election, who will face the next election? My money is on Rudd, but in a different seat.

Personally, I think he should only get one testicle removed (moderate hero)
Such a solution would certainly be completely unacceptable for me. However, for the sake of moderate herosim, I might very well be willing to keep my scrotum. Smiley Indeed, does that sound fair? Smiley
mvd10
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:56:54 am »
Ignore

Damn, the Tories are screwed. I think it definitely would have been Davis if he were younger, but he's already almost 69. Still voted Davis, I guess he will be the compromise candidate.
Lincoln Governor Lok
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:30:31 am »
Ignore

David david david Davis

A Liberal LGBT in one of the most pro LGBT cities in the country.

CORA IS GONE, JOIN THE DISCORD!!!
https://discord.gg/7kKvzqT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5q64uQ2GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7NvF42MhCA
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:10 am »
Ignore

I'd like to see Truss or Morgan.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
PoliticalShelter
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:21:49 am »
Ignore

My money's is that it will be either Patel or someone like Dominic Raab. I don't see how Rudd will be able to win the membership vote.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »
Ignore

My money's is that it will be either Patel or someone like Dominic Raab. I don't see how Rudd will be able to win the membership vote.

Do you think Gove will become Chancellor or something pretty good if a former supporter like Raab or Morgan wins the leadership?

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:40:37 pm »
Ignore

Top five on Betfair for “next Conservative leader”:

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:25 pm »
Ignore

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

There is -5% of it being Davidson and Rees-Mogg is just lol

Johnson is becoming rash and might not have as many friends as he might wish for the forthcoming race. Rudd's seat is an issue but Soames might shuffle off to let her have his so not as big a one as appears. It will be Davis or bust. Hammond doesn't really have a chance, he angers people because he favours both austerity and softer Brexit.
Lord Halifax
Greenland

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:14:21 pm »
Ignore

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

Johnson is becoming rash and might not have as many friends as he might wish for the forthcoming race. Rudd's seat is an issue but Soames might shuffle off to let her have his so not as big a one as appears. It will be Davis or bust. Hammond doesn't really have a chance, he angers people because he favours both austerity and softer Brexit.

He is nearly 69. Isn't that a problem?
mileslunn
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
Ignore

Johnson all the way. Rudd is a decent choice, but she needs to find a better seat as hers is one of most vulnerable and considering the swings in her neck of the woods I could see a scenario of the Tories winning nationally but losing her seat.

Slow Learner
Battenberg
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 07:25:26 pm »
Ignore

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

Not particularly if he's elected on the basis of 'sorting Brexit out'.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:18:33 pm »
Ignore

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

How many inappropriate jokes would there be?

tack50
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 09:25:06 pm »
Ignore

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

Considering that Corbyn is 68 and Cable is 74, no, probably not
mvd10
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 02:28:27 am »
Ignore

Anyway, if it's not Davis I think it will be Patel, Raab or some very right-wing politician nobody has ever heard of. The anyone but Boris faction is too strong, and I can't see someone like Rudd or Hammond winning.
Çråbçæk
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:17 am »
Ignore

I'd like to see Truss or Morgan.

Morgan has become far too much of a rent a gob Remainer to be given power (mostly because she makes no secret about the fact she personally loathes May); and Truss was widely considered over her head as Justice Sec.

Personally, I think he should only get one testicle removed (moderate hero)
Such a solution would certainly be completely unacceptable for me. However, for the sake of moderate herosim, I might very well be willing to keep my scrotum. Smiley Indeed, does that sound fair? Smiley
136or142
Adam T
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:06 am »
Ignore

I saw Amber Rudd on the election coverage and have since followed her on Twitter. She's very impressive.

Proposed phrase for a radical centrist: Empathy for all sides, commitment to none.
Lord Halifax
Greenland

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:03 am »
Ignore

Johnson 16.8
Davis 14.5
Rudd 11.9
Rees-Mogg 11.1
Davidson 7.2

Considering that Corbyn is 68 and Cable is 74, no, probably not

Cable isn't the leader of a major party, and Corbyn (like Sanders) is a special case as they both appeal to young people and have a backstory that makes them more "authentic" than their rivals.
Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »

Boris seems to be doing everything he can to get sacked by May. For reasons obvious.

Hnv1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 04:56:03 am »
Ignore

There is absolutely no way they will put Rees-Mogg up there, not even against Corbyn.

I think most MPs wouldn't want this going to the membership so they will rally around David Davis (is that the most Welsh name ever?) to block Boris the Clown 

Democracy is overrated
Lord Halifax
Greenland

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 06:16:40 am »
Ignore

There is absolutely no way they will put Rees-Mogg up there, not even against Corbyn.

I think most MPs wouldn't want this going to the membership so they will rally around David Davis (is that the most Welsh name ever?) to block Boris the Clown 

Less Welsh than Hywel Powell, Dafydd ap Gwilym and Iolo Goch.
mileslunn
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:03 am »
Ignore

I saw Amber Rudd on the election coverage and have since followed her on Twitter. She's very impressive.

Her biggest obstacle is her constituency of Hastings and Rye was a very close marginal and she only won by around 300 votes and there was a bigger swing towards Labour so there is a real risk she could lose her seat while the Tories still win nationally.  At least with Boris Johnson, if he loses his seat, the Tories would almost certainly lose nationally, but agreed she is quite reasonable.  I've often found those in more marginal constituencies tend to be more moderate while the more right wing elements in the party are mostly in very safe constituencies.  Similar with Labour too.

bronz4141
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 02:02:49 pm »
Ignore

Johnson or Patel.

I like Patel. She'd be the next Thatcher, and someone who can clearly communicate conservative principles in a ruthless, but honest way.

Johnson is seen as too much of a political animal.
Lord Halifax
Greenland

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 02:46:14 pm »
Ignore

Johnson or Patel.

I like Patel. She'd be the next Thatcher, and someone who can clearly communicate conservative principles in a ruthless, but honest way.

Not sure the UK is ready for a non-white PM.
PoliticalShelter
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 02:50:11 pm »
Ignore

Johnson or Patel.

I'm pretty sure that if America can elect a non-white president from the left-leaning party, Britain can accept a non-white PM from the right-leaning party.
Lord Halifax
Greenland

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »
Ignore

Johnson or Patel.

I'm pretty sure that if America can elect a non-white president from the left-leaning party, Britain can accept a non-white PM from the right-leaning party.

Not comparable. The Democrats won despite losing whites, no British party can afford to lose their (much larger) majority population.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout