SB 2017-137: Atlasian Workers' Restoration Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-137: Atlasian Workers' Restoration Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2017-137: Atlasian Workers' Restoration Act (Passed)  (Read 1443 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
« edited: November 21, 2017, 05:18:03 PM by Senator Scott🍂 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People's Regional Senate
Pending[/quote]

Sponsor: Spiral

I hereby open the floor for debate.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »

Motion to table...

(Yankee Rule is still in force, Spiral.)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:58:19 PM »

Sorry, everyone. Rough last two days. Tongue

This bill is meant to empower Atlasia's workers by reassuring that the right to unionize won't be under assault. Taft-Hartley gave way to states passing 'right-to-work' laws, which creates a free-rider problem of sorts: For unionized workplaces that comply with right-to-work, workers won't have to pay membership dues yet still receive the perks of membership. This reduces the bargaining power of unions due to fewer resources. Other provisions in the act also act to limit the influence of unions. It was passed during a time when fears of communism were rampant, and organized labor was seen as a big target for those sentiments. Times have changed drastically since 1947: Unions have far less clout now with diminishing membership, and wages have stagnated with that. This has reshaped our economy for the worse since unions affect virtually every industry out there. It's time to do whatever we can to reverse those trends and give workers the tools they need to help themselves, and the rest of the country along with them.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »

Thanks, Spiral.  Motion withdrawn.

I fully agree with the reasoning behind this act, and I intend to support it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:09 PM »

It should also be noted that there's already been legislation that I've signed that already takes care of some of the concerns addressed by Senator Spiral:
The POWER Act
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272198.msg5845011#msg5845011

So it seems that by doing this, it's solving a problem that no longer exists.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:43:24 PM »

I think we should amend and modernize Taft-Hartley, not repeal it. I agree with Senator Spiral when says it is not 1947, but it is also not 1933-1946 either.

The economy has changed and the biggest thing that has crippled unions was not Taft-Hartley. Unions reached their peak in the 25 years following its passage. What crippled public unions was the intense competition and threat of stiff competition from foreign production and second of all the the strong push to outsource manufacturing as a way to combat that.

Public sector unions began their sharp decline in the 1970's, with the decline in manufacturing. That is why most of the labor movement is now focused on public sector unions, where there is no outsourcing/foreign competition risk and the people on the other side of the negotiating table is politicians who in many cases are elected by the unions, which is frankly disturbing in that there is no counter argument at all and the taxpayers get hosed.

I have always been somewhat of a moderate on labor issues within the Federalist Party, as Senator Spiral will recall back when he was a libertarian and voting to my right on the issue four years ago. Tongue But that being said, I think, while the objective is noble, I think this is the wrong way to address the problem in question.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 03:17:52 PM »

Since, as has been stated, we passed the Power Act not too long ago, will this bill have any additional meaningful impact?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:36:25 AM »

It should also be noted that there's already been legislation that I've signed that already takes care of some of the concerns addressed by Senator Spiral:
The POWER Act
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272198.msg5845011#msg5845011

So it seems that by doing this, it's solving a problem that no longer exists.

The POWER Act was a great bill and I'm glad it's now law. Like you said, though, that bill addressed some of my concerns. The decline of organized labor is a structural issue and not one that will be solved in a short time or with only one piece of legislation. Like any big problem, we should try tackling it from all fronts to see what sticks, and we'll hopefully see immense progress over time with our efforts.

I will respond to Speaker Yankee and Senator ZuWo during daytime, for now I must hibernate.
1978 New Wave skinny trousers
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »

I am a huge supporter of this bill. For 70 years, the Taft-Hartley Act has severely restricted the rights of working people. The Act has limited the rights of labor unions through right-to-work laws, which have led to a steady decline in union membership since the Act was passed. Labor unions are the best representatives for the voice of workers, and so they must be restored.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »

I think we should amend and modernize Taft-Hartley, not repeal it. I agree with Senator Spiral when says it is not 1947, but it is also not 1933-1946 either.

The economy has changed and the biggest thing that has crippled unions was not Taft-Hartley. Unions reached their peak in the 25 years following its passage. What crippled public unions was the intense competition and threat of stiff competition from foreign production and second of all the the strong push to outsource manufacturing as a way to combat that.

Public sector unions began their sharp decline in the 1970's, with the decline in manufacturing. That is why most of the labor movement is now focused on public sector unions, where there is no outsourcing/foreign competition risk and the people on the other side of the negotiating table is politicians who in many cases are elected by the unions, which is frankly disturbing in that there is no counter argument at all and the taxpayers get hosed.

I have always been somewhat of a moderate on labor issues within the Federalist Party, as Senator Spiral will recall back when he was a libertarian and voting to my right on the issue four years ago. Tongue But that being said, I think, while the objective is noble, I think this is the wrong way to address the problem in question.

As always, you have quite the long memory. Wink You're right that Taft-Hartley wasn't a stake through the heart of unions, since they still grew in the following decades, but the effect of this legislation is arguably stronger now than a period like the '60s. The reason for that is how diminished public sector unions are now compared to then. Outsourcing and the other major changes of the Atlasian economy have indeed left us in a place where workers aren't nearly as secure as before, and I hope we can address those issues together with separate legislation in the near future. For the time being, however, the crux of Taft-Hartley's passing has been made irrelevant: It was meant to prevent labor from overtaking industry at a time when unions were rapidly expanding. Is that still true today?

Since, as has been stated, we passed the Power Act not too long ago, will this bill have any additional meaningful impact?

This bill would legalize union shops nationwide, thereby rolling back right-to-work laws. Another provision of Taft-Hartley limits the liability of employers toward supervisors who engage in harassment of union members.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 05:18:04 AM »

Thank you for your answer, Senator Spiral. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »

Any more comments, questions, amendments?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »

This bill would legalize union shops nationwide, thereby rolling back right-to-work laws.

Ewwww.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »

Is anyone interested in amending this?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »

I'd be fine with amending some undesirable bits of Taft-Hartley and modernizing per Yankee's suggestions (as I said, some of the issues people have with Taft-Hartley have already been resolved via the POWER Act).

But I cannot in good conscience support a full repeal, and cannot support rolling back right to work laws, especially when there are areas where the people decided that is what they wanted.

I hope that the Senate is willing to consider a fair compromise on this.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:06:31 PM »

I'd be fine with amending some undesirable bits of Taft-Hartley and modernizing per Yankee's suggestions (as I said, some of the issues people have with Taft-Hartley have already been resolved via the POWER Act).

But I cannot in good conscience support a full repeal, and cannot support rolling back right to work laws, especially when there are areas where the people decided that is what they wanted.

I hope that the Senate is willing to consider a fair compromise on this.

Union shop is basically just the compromise to unions in exchange for requiring them to represent non union members at the bargaining table. Since the POWER act removed that requirement, repealing right to work anyway is literally just blatant rent-seeking. If the benefits of a union are so great, people will join. If its basically just a leftwing circle jerk, most people wont. The horror!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 03:50:52 AM »

I suppose we can go forward with a final vote now, since this has been quiet for a while.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

Alrighty. I'll start a final vote in 24 hours unless there's any objections.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »

Seeing no objection, we'll take this to a final vote.  Senators may vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »

Aye.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 02:39:45 AM »

Aye
1978 New Wave skinny trousers
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »

Aye
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »

Nay
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 10:51:36 PM »

Aye

This has enough votes to pass. Senators have until 11:18 am EST to change their votes
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies