Republicans/Independents: What should the GOP economics be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:12:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Republicans/Independents: What should the GOP economics be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans/Independents: What should the GOP economics be?  (Read 1625 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« on: October 20, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »

I also largely agree with RINO Tom and NC Yankee. I'd like the GOP to push for serious revenue neutral tax reform, though I guess a small tax reduction is acceptable as long as it's part of an ambitious tax reform package that will actually make the tax system more efficient. But the GOP needs to ditch the 10% flat tax plans or the plans that would dramatically slash taxes in similar ways.

I used to be a fan of repealing the capital gains tax, but I've shifted to the left on this issue. I still oppose increasing the capital gains tax unless the revenue is used for a corporate tax cut, but repealing the capital gains tax would massively increase inequality and I don't think that the possible growth you get from a capital gains tax cut is worth that increase in inequality.

I still believe the top rate could be lowered (as marginal tax rates in some areas of the country still get really high), but only if it's paid for by limiting/repealing itemized deductions. The top rate should be closer to 35% than 25% anyway.

The thing most GOP tax plans do get right is that the corporate tax rate should be dramatically reduced, preferably to 15-20 percent (and it should be coupled with limiting or even repealing the corporate interest tax deduction). But I'm not sure what to do with pass-through businesses. Repealing corporate tax loopholes will also hurt a lot of pass-through businesses. Cutting the top income tax rate to make up for that will cut taxes for a lot of people who don't really need a tax cut. Creating a special rate for pass-through businesses would create a huge tax shelter (see: Kansas), but increasing taxes on pass-throughs also isn't really fair. I suppose you could largely keep the current tax system intact for pass-throughs while drastically reforming the corporate tax code, but that also would create some weird situations (pass-trough businesses having a lot of tax deductions which corporations don't have while also having higher marginal tax rates).

On the spending side I'd also like to see a consistent centre-right course. The GOP should focus on reforming entitlements and slowing down spending growth, but it shouldn't push for things like the Ryan budget (which is unrealistic, unpopular and also socially and economically damaging). But I do back slowly increasing the retirement age to 70 and reducing medicare spending (though the GOP should definitely not campaign on this, they should campaign on the more vague promise of reforming social security and medicare Tongue).

I largely support increasing legal immigration (as long as immigrants are willing to integrate in American society). But I do agree that the GOP should focus on border security. Immigration reform should include a pathway to citizenship or legal status, but it also definitely should include tough measures to promote border security (and no, that doesn't include a symbolic wall which won't achieve anything).

Personally I completely support free trade, including trade deals like NAFTA, TTIP and TPP. But I'm willing to accept some compromises on trade for the sake of electability (if it's really necessary). Then again, I'd never support actual hard protectionism.

On regulation I'd also support a more centrist approach. I strongly oppose populist (financial) regulations which sound great but don't work in reality, but I'd also be wary of a complete bonfire of regulation. Deregulation where it's possible, but don't repeat past mistakes. On unions I still favour a hard-right approach (including federal right to work).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies