State of the country on November 3rd, 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:06:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State of the country on November 3rd, 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State of the country on November 3rd, 2020  (Read 272 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »

What will be the state of the country on election day 2020? I would imagine not much as happened.....democrats likely took the house back but failed to take back the Senate in 2018. No war or anything like that. Economy is fair/okay.  Trump sits at a approval rating between 35%-28%
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »

Pence presides over a middling economy with decent growth, although wage growth remains weak and inequality is rising.

He has an approval rating of 47-49, but he has a 1 point lead in the polls against *insert Al Franken/Tammy Baldwin-esque politician here* This is a turnaround from what people expected after a minor recession and the democratic wave in 2018 (The d's didn't take the senate, though) followed by the subsequent impeachment of trump in 2019.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »

Pence presides over a middling economy with decent growth, although wage growth remains weak and inequality is rising.

He has an approval rating of 47-49, but he has a 1 point lead in the polls against *insert Al Franken/Tammy Baldwin-esque politician here* This is a turnaround from what people expected after a minor recession and the democratic wave in 2018 (The d's didn't take the senate, though) followed by the subsequent impeachment of trump in 2019.

I'd be surprised if Pence led in the polls after a Trump impeachment, but this country has surprised me before.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »

There is viscous squabbling in the media over whose fault the economy is, and how to fix it. Voters on the left worry loudly about President Pence using the security situation as an excuse for voter supression and accuse the GOP of overt fascism. The Republicans in turn accuse the left of being traitors. There is a constant firehose of news coverage relating to illegal meddling in the election via the internet and its impossible to tell what's real or utterly fake. Americans are more frightened, nervous and depressed than ever. Far more people fear the result of the election than think it will be a positive step, even those who think their candiate will win.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »

So far Mike Pence has lower approval ratings than President Trump. Mike Pence is about as far right as one can be in the Republican Party, and any impeachment might sully him.  I see him less competent to cause Americans to reconcile than was Gerald Ford. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »

So far Mike Pence has lower approval ratings than President Trump. Mike Pence is about as far right as one can be in the Republican Party, and any impeachment might sully him.  I see him less competent to cause Americans to reconcile than was Gerald Ford. 

I agree.  Ford was generally well-liked, and he was brought into the administration after Agnew's resignation, so he was more or less an outsider and untainted by Watergate -- and Ford still lost in '76. 

Pence is highly unlikable and has been associated with Trump since the campaign.  I don't see him getting as much benefit of the doubt as Ford received.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »

Who might be the VP in this scenario?  It would need to be someone who Pence would be willing to nominate, who would accept the job, and who would pass both a D-controlled House and an R-controlled Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies