Confirmation hearing of Blair for Lincoln Associate SC Justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:44:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing of Blair for Lincoln Associate SC Justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing of Blair for Lincoln Associate SC Justice  (Read 2398 times)
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »

With all due respect to Blair, I'm going to Abstain my vote.

sticking a run-of-the-mill, laborite politician

...keep another ineffective Laborite out of the courts.

Anyways, that's it for now. Thanks for reading, and more updates are soon to come!
-AM ReaganClinton

Don't say with all due respect and then insult me.

I do respect you, Blair. That doesn't mean I won't point out your and your party's flaws.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker, please finish this. Clarify the vote and shut this thread down. It's a disaster.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »

Mr. Speaker, please finish this. Clarify the vote and shut this thread down. It's a disaster.

The speaker resigned.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »

The speaker resigned.
So who is the dean?
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

The speaker resigned.
So who is the dean?
Hell, I have no clue. Kyc maybe?
Encke
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2017, 01:54:20 PM »

Not sure if these are the updated assembly rules or not, but they don't mention the dean. There would need to be a new election for speaker.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=244427.msg5248164#msg5248164
Encke
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

Also, since Lok is no longer speaker but still part of the assembly, he is technically the dean. If he doesn't count, kyc is the dean.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »

Can we pull up the old assembly thread to nominate KYC as Speaker, or do we need to actually have a special election?
Encke
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »

Can we pull up the old assembly thread to nominate KYC as Speaker, or do we need to actually have a special election?

SECTION 6. ROLE OF SPEAKER

A. The Speaker is the presiding officer of the Assembly and is tasked with interpreting and enforcing the Standing Orders.

B. At the beginning of each term of the Assembly, and at any time when the office is vacant, the first order of business of the Assembly shall be to elect the Speaker

C. Nominations shall be open for a period of twenty-four (24) hours.  A member may nominate no more that one member.  Any member nominated must declare their acceptance of the nomination to be listed on the ballot.

D. At the close of nominations, if only one member has been nominated, he or she shall immediately be declared to have been elected.

If, however, two or more members have been nominated, an election shall immediately be held by optional preference IRV.  Only members officially nominated shall be listed on the ballot - write-in votes shall not be permitted.  The election shall conclude after a period of twenty-four (24) hours, or after all members have voted, whichever is sooner.

E. The Lieutenant Governor shall certify the results following the election, and the Speaker shall immediately assume office.

F. The Assembly may, at any time, remove the Speaker through the motion: "The Speakership be now vacated."  The motion shall take precedence over all other motions and bills before the Assembly, and shall be conducted in the manner outlined in the section entitled Legislative Debates and Voting.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »

Per the Constitution, in the absence of a Speaker, the Lt. Governor (KYC) assumes presidency of the Assembly.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
kyc0705

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2017, 02:14:57 PM by kyc0705 »

Per the Constitution, in the absence of a Speaker, the Lt. Governor (KYC) assumes presidency of the Assembly.

Then it is decided. In my capacity as lieutenant governor, acting as speaker because of a vacancy in that office, I hereby count the votes as follows:

Ayes: 1 (Lok)
Nays: 0
Abstentions: 2 (kyc0705, ReaganClinton)

Lacking the required, "simple majority" of affirmative votes, the nomination of Blair has been rejected.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

Then it is decided. In my capacity as lieutenant governor, acting as speaker because of a vacancy in that office, I hereby count the votes as follows:

Ayes: 1 (Lok)
Nays: 0
Abstentions: 2 (kyc0705, ReaganClinton)

Lacking the "simple majority" required for nominations in Lincoln, the nomination of Blair has been rejected.

Thank you, Mr. Acting Speaker.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »

I have a quick message for the people who never responded to Blair's personal messages, or gave a sign that you paid attention to them:

As I thought a Speaker would be aware, abstentions are counted in the same vein as absences by the Assembly rules in the cases of bills, amendments, constitutional amendments, and therefore as it follows they would count the same in a confirmation hearing. By which I mean, two Assemblymen didn't even vote. Sad!

Therefore, it is against the rules for the Speaker to end the vote twenty-four hours early (since not everyone had voted). Unless two people decide to actually cast a real vote before then.

Anyway, it is a little concerning that a Speaker didn't know this. The last one who made this egregious error resigned. Does kyc hold himself to the same high standard?

Either way, it is fascinating to see that people think they can be reasonably opposed to a nominee (or even abstain) when they never responded to the personal messages they received or asked them a question or made disturbingly few posts in the confirmation hearing portion of the thread. And I would go so far that a distinct lack of that may show a disregard of the gravity of the nomination.

I guess what we can conclude here is that we should hold off on the thanks for a little bit.
kyc0705

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »

I have a quick message for the people who never responded to Blair's personal messages, or gave a sign that you paid attention to them:

As I thought a Speaker would be aware, abstentions are counted in the same vein as absences by the Assembly rules in the cases of bills, amendments, constitutional amendments, and therefore as it follows they would count the same in a confirmation hearing. By which I mean, two Assemblymen didn't even vote. Sad!

Therefore, it is against the rules for the Speaker to end the vote twenty-four hours early (since not everyone had voted). Unless two people decide to actually cast a real vote before then.

Anyway, it is a little concerning that a Speaker didn't know this. The last one who made this egregious error resigned. Does kyc hold himself to the same high standard?

Either way, it is fascinating to see that people think they can be reasonably opposed to a nominee (or even abstain) when they never responded to the personal messages they received or asked them a question or made disturbingly few posts in the confirmation hearing portion of the thread. And I would go so far that a distinct lack of that may show a disregard of the gravity of the nomination.

I guess what we can conclude here is that we should hold off on the thanks for a little bit.

No, that's what you can conclude. Despite the confusion, this was resolved in a lawful and orderly matter. I'm sorry that you believe legislators should take artificial stances of full support or full opposition, instead of acknowledging a response which confirms neither in the moment. I'd like to think the people of Lincoln elected us on hopes for integrity and honesty, and doing what is right, instead of what is politically expedient or convenient.

If you do not agree with this standard, then I no longer wish to be your lieutenant governor, and if you would like to request my resignation, then please do so through the appropriate channels. Otherwise, this matter is in the past, and we should be focusing on future legislative manners, instead of dwelling over past conflicts.
Encke
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »

As I thought a Speaker would be aware, abstentions are counted in the same vein as absences by the Assembly rules in the cases of bills, amendments, constitutional amendments, and therefore as it follows they would count the same in a confirmation hearing.

It does not necessarily follow that abstentions are not considered votes in confirmation hearings. The Assembly rules specify that abstentions and absences do not count as votes for the purposes of votes on amendments, extensions, passage of legislation, and suspension of certain rules. If this rule was intended to apply to confirmation hearings, it seems that it would have been stated explicitly, as it was in the aforementioned cases.

Also,

Since the status of abstentions and absences is not specified in relation to confirmation hearings, it seems that it would be in the power of the new speaker to interpret the standing orders.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies