Updated: ~470,000 Puerto Ricans to Relocate over 2 Years (Swing State Alert)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:58:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Updated: ~470,000 Puerto Ricans to Relocate over 2 Years (Swing State Alert)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Updated: ~470,000 Puerto Ricans to Relocate over 2 Years (Swing State Alert)  (Read 5001 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2017, 08:05:38 PM by Arch »

Based on current settlement patterns, most in the south and northeast, and some in the Midwest. That's quite the political earthquake in a brief amount of time. It's at about 3,500 a day.

Link: http://www.prinforma.com/archives/182

Update: 10/20/2017

Overall estimates over the next two years are about 475,000. PDF of the study attached to the article below.

Expected States (in order of estimated numbers):
1) FL
2) PA
3) TX
4) NY
5) NJ
6) MA
7) CT
8 ) OH
9) CA
10) IL

Link (in Spanish): http://www.noticel.com/ahora/estiman-rasgos-de-la-poblacin-que-abandonar-pr-tras-mara/641555502

PDF of Study (English): http://media.noticel.com/o2com-noti-media-us-east-1/document_dev/2017/10/19/RB2017-01-POST-MARIA%20EXODUS_V2_1508449519627_9029791_ver1.0.pdf
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »

And every one of them pissed at Trump.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:13 PM »

wow that’s really super high
to put it in perspective, if this happened in the states it would be nearly 10 million people emigrating
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »

I'd be surprised if it is only 100,000. Even before Maria, Puerto Rico was losing about 50,000 people a year. That number is likely just the number leaving in October.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

Hope they're resettling in North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »

Hope they're resettling in North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania.

There's actually quite a lot going to Georgia too. I know of, at least, 3 families who resettled there recently, and I have family in Georgia too.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 07:05:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link says the 100,000 are just in Orlando and Tampa. That would be big.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link says the 100,000 are just in Orlando and Tampa. That would be big.

Yeah, that makes sense. Florida is the most popular state in Puerto Rico.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

Yet people claim we can have open borders with Latin America and not be overwhelmed.

Puerto Rico is a case study that proves people from the third world will never stop moving here until this country is as poor as the ones they are coming from.

People from the "third world," lmao wow. The only way Puerto Rico qualifies as "third world," is if the U.S. is a "third world," being part of the same country and all, you know?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:42:37 AM »

Yet people claim we can have open borders with Latin America and not be overwhelmed.

Puerto Rico is a case study that proves people from the third world will never stop moving here until this country is as poor as the ones they are coming from.

You do realize that Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., right?

People have always migrated within the country for economic reasons.  Look at the population shift from the Rust Belt to the Sun Belt in recent decades.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »

Of course I realize that. Where did I say otherwise? This was a stupid and pointless comment for you to make.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 09:15:36 AM by Generally Useless »

Racist? Check.
Xenophobic (somehow against people within your own country)? Check.
White Supremacist? Check.
Don't have a damn clue about Puerto Rico or its people? Check.
Completely ignorant of history and the consequences of colonialism, imperialism, and European exploitation? Check.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »

Of course I realize that. Where did I say otherwise? This was a stupid and pointless comment for you to make.

Then why did you call it a "third world country?"

In addition, in relation to your earlier comment, the US would not be "overwhelmed" by immigrants from Latin American countries or anywhere else. Simply put, we need them to come here. We're facing a care crisis very shortly as Boomers age out of the workforce and into nursing homes and hospitals, where we already have a nursing shortage. Because our ridiculous culture only appreciates jobs that one has to go to college for, nursing is not something many folks go into, especially not the grunt-work level of CNA. Recent immigrants are much more likely to be willing to do those grunt-work jobs, for which I am ever-thankful.

Add in the fact that the birth rate here in the continental US is very low... well. We need people to keep our economy working, and thus immigration is absolutely necessary. As the recent immigrants become not-so-recent immigrants over a few generations, their birth rate drops to match the norm, and thus more immigrants are again always needed.

There's a huge difference between having a much more open and accessible immigration policy and completely "open" borders. We're still getting plenty of people illegally, so why not just make it a bit more straightforward for them to come legally instead?

Anyway.

I feel terrible for the Puerto Ricans having to leave behind what they've known, but I hope that by coming up to the continental US, they are able to get access to the services and lifestyles they deserve. It's ridiculous how the federal government has treated Puerto Rico, and I don't see that changing any time soon. It's awful.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »

Because Famous Mortimer is one of those ignorant people who speak with confidence and are so cocksure that they can't even acknowledge when someone exposes how absurd their daft, factless statements are. And, with the self-assurance of your common village idiot, they'll be right back at it in no time.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 09:16:23 AM by Generally Useless »

Racist? Check.
Completely ignorant of history and the consequences of colonialism, imperialism, and European exploitation? Check.

Purely name calling and no actual arguments? Check.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »

In addition, in relation to your earlier comment, the US would not be "overwhelmed" by immigrants from Latin American countries or anywhere else. Simply put, we need them to come here. We're facing a care crisis very shortly as Boomers age out of the workforce and into nursing homes and hospitals, where we already have a nursing shortage. Because our ridiculous culture only appreciates jobs that one has to go to college for, nursing is not something many folks go into, especially not the grunt-work level of CNA. Recent immigrants are much more likely to be willing to do those grunt-work jobs, for which I am ever-thankful.

Add in the fact that the birth rate here in the continental US is very low... well. We need people to keep our economy working, and thus immigration is absolutely necessary. As the recent immigrants become not-so-recent immigrants over a few generations, their birth rate drops to match the norm, and thus more immigrants are again always needed.

There's a huge difference between having a much more open and accessible immigration policy and completely "open" borders. We're still getting plenty of people illegally, so why not just make it a bit more straightforward for them to come legally instead?

Anyway.

I feel terrible for the Puerto Ricans having to leave behind what they've known, but I hope that by coming up to the continental US, they are able to get access to the services and lifestyles they deserve. It's ridiculous how the federal government has treated Puerto Rico, and I don't see that changing any time soon. It's awful.

If a majority of people in the United States were of Mexican or Central American extraction, do you not think that society in the United States would come to resemble societies from Mexico and Central America more than it resembles US society now? That's a problem because Mexican and Central American societies are much much poorer than US society now. If you think that a majority Mexican and Central American society would be richer if it existed in the US, why haven't Mexican and Central American societies in Mexico and Central America become as rich as the US? Why would they suddenly become rich if they cross the border?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 09:16:49 AM by Generally Useless »

Racist? Check.

Yep. And I'm never going to argue with you either because you're pure trash devoid of intelligence and not worth even the minimal effort used to type these words. Now, yo-ho-ho and onto ignore you go.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »

Florida will take in more than almost all other states combined, I'd guess.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 09:17:07 AM by Generally Useless »

Racist? Check.

Yep. And I'm never going to argue with you either because you're pure trash devoid of intelligence and not worth even the minimal effort used to type these words. Now, yo-ho-ho and onto ignore you go.
Somehow, Jacobin has managed to be worse than ProgressiveCanadian. That's takes a lot of effort.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »

Mortimer, Latin American countries are poor because of their institutions, not because of the "extraction" of their people. These institutions were set in place at the countries' founding and have shaped their development ever since. Just look at the difference between North Korea and South Korea to see how, even with the same "extraction", different institutions make the difference between rich and poor.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 09:17:39 AM by Generally Useless »

Racist? Check.

Somehow, Jacobin has managed to be worse than ProgressiveCanadian. That's takes a lot of effort.

It's nice to see you coming to the defense of a bigot while rebuking me for calling him out on his ignorance. But, "worse" is a highly subjective adjective. Considering the source, I'll take it as a compliment. Now, yo-ho-ho and onto ignore you go.

Anyway, I hate for posts on a thread discussing an important issue to drift so far from the topic, so I'll stop replying to the trolls now.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »

Mortimer, Latin American countries are poor because of their institutions, not because of the "extraction" of their people. These institutions were set in place at the countries' founding and have shaped their development ever since. Just look at the difference between North Korea and South Korea to see how, even with the same "extraction", different institutions make the difference between rich and poor.

Latin America has the institutions they have at least partially because of the people they have. Institutions don't spring from the ground. They are made by people.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »

ITT WillipsBrighton embraces #MAGAism to the fullest.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »

Latin America has the institutions they have at least partially because of the people they have. Institutions don't spring from the ground. They are made by people.

And these were made, for hundreds of years, by people of European Spaniard “extraction.” In any case, your theory still fails to explain lain how the two Koreas, with the same ethnic extraction, could have produced such different results. Just admit it’s historical circumstance which influenced human behavior and nothing about the people’s ethnicity. Unless your going to say North Koreans are a different race than South Koreans?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 10:29:32 AM »

People from the "third world," lmao wow. The only way Puerto Rico qualifies as "third world," is if the U.S. is a "third world," being part of the same country and all, you know?

...or if you call eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia, and southeastern Ohio "Third World".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies