SCOTUS districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:32:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  SCOTUS districts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS districts  (Read 516 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2017, 12:09:27 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2019, 04:02:19 AM by MB »

-
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »

The federal court system is divided by whole states, or parts of states that don't overlap into more than one state. I would think that if there were SCOTUS districts they would also be whole states. Here's a division of the states and insular areas (PR and VI with FL, pacific islands with HI) into eight districts such that each district is within 5% of the ideal population based on 2020 estimates.

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 04:16:47 PM by MarkD »

I devised a map which creates districts if we start electing Supreme Court judges. The Chief Justice would be elected at large. I included the territories.

Question is, which of the districts would elect liberal judges, which would elect conservatives, and which would elect moderates?

I would think the California and New England districts would elect the most liberal, and the Texas and Midwest-Upper South light blue the most conservative. The pink one in the Midwest would be the most swing.

If we have come to expect and to take for granted that Justices are motivated by their own ideology to make their decisions about the meaning of the U.S. Constitution and the federal laws they are to "interpret," then we might as well hold elections for the Justices. Maybe this is going to be inevitable, given that we have presidential candidates who no longer even talk as if they are going to select who to appoint to the Court based on the objectivity of the appointees. I still keep hoping that we will, before my death (I'm 53), see a person appointed who has a commitment to objectivity; someone like Oliver Wendell Holmes, Benjamin Cardozo, Hugo Black.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies