WI-6: Grothman having trouble raising money
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:05:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI-6: Grothman having trouble raising money
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WI-6: Grothman having trouble raising money  (Read 2439 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »

Bluffing for $, nothing to see here.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 11:40:44 PM »

Obama won the current version of WI-06 by 0.1% in 2008, so it's not impossible to imagine Grothman going down in a wave environment. Still, I think a better target would be WI-07, especially if Duffy changes his mind on running for senate.

Both are fairly rough for the Dems for different reasons. Yes, Obama won both in 2008 but that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away politically. WI-6 is clearly the less Trumpish of the two, but it's ancestrally far more Republican.

A traditional sort of win for the Democrats in WI-6 relies on running up the margins in smaller rust belt cities like Manitowoc and Sheboygan, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards in the current environment. It is true that Trump collapsed in Ozaukee County, but he still won it by nearly 20 points. Heck Trump won Columbia County. It is true that Grothman isn't really the ideal incumbent for the district (I was pulling for Joe Leibham in the primary), but doing marginally better in Ozaukee County won't get them anywhere unless they reverse the trends of the last eight years everywhere else let alone avoid a repeat of the Trump surge. It's hard to imagine the Dems winning WI-6 in 2018.

Bizarrely enough, WI-7 was Donald Trump's best district in the entire state despite the district the GOP felt was the most vulnerable when they drew the lines and excised every Democratic node except for the Finnish trio way up north. Really in order to be competitive here they need to start winning most of the North Woods again. Given the national environment I must say I'm skeptical. Also if Duffy does run for re-election, it'd be nigh impossible for them to unseat him. He's a reasonably strong incumbent in a district lopsidedly in his favor.

I wouldn't invest heavily in any WI seats in 2018 if I were the Dems, except perhaps WI-3 as a defensive play. If I were forced to choose, I'd argue that WI-1 is probably the most vulnerable GOP seat, followed by WI-6. I don't think any of the other seats are competitive at all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies