Worst laws that are still enforced (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:21:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Worst laws that are still enforced (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst laws that are still enforced  (Read 9193 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« on: October 10, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

What are the worst laws on the books that are still enforced today? Can be state, local, or federal law.

For me, a few examples come to mind:

Marijuana – Recreational marijuana should be legal. It's pointless to lock people up for it.
Curfew – Local curfew ordinances in my opinion violate the 1st Amendment, specifically freedom of assembly. Also, they don't work. If someone is planning on committing a crime, they are going to commit it. They won't care whether or not they can legally be out at 2 AM.
Campaign Finance – Money does not equal speech. Period.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »

What are the worst laws on the books that are still enforced today? Can be state, local, or federal law.

For me, a few examples come to mind:

Marijuana – Recreational marijuana should be legal. It's pointless to lock people up for it.
CurfewLocal curfew ordinances in my opinion violate the 1st Amendment, specifically freedom of assembly. Also, they don't work. If someone is planning on committing a crime, they are going to commit it. They won't care whether or not they can legally be out at 2 AM.
Campaign Finance – Money does not equal speech. Period.

That is the exact argument against gun control.
Which I also oppose for the exact same reason.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »

Not a law, but Roe v Wade is worth mentioning. Time for Democrat SC judges to step down now and allow President Trump to nominate real conservatives who respect our constitution and OVERTURN Roe v. Wade.
What makes you think that'll happen? Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 83, 84? and it'd surprise me if she voluntarily steps down before a Democrat is president.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies