Worst laws that are still enforced (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Worst laws that are still enforced (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst laws that are still enforced  (Read 9183 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: October 15, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2017, 03:33:20 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

I've been crash coursing the city ordinances in my hometown. No idea how stringently its enforced, but apparently children 11 and older are not eligible for the trick or treating exemption to the ban on door to door solicitation. Also, our panhandling, noise limits, public swearing, and curfew laws appear unconstitutional based on recent case law. The worst laws are the ones drafted so poorly or vaguely that they could or could not criminalize normal behavior depending on how much of a jerk the government wants to be on a particular day.

Edit: also we apparently ban nunchucks.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 09:44:58 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Curfew – Local curfew ordinances in my opinion violate the 1st Amendment, specifically freedom of assembly. Also, they don't work. If someone is planning on committing a crime, they are going to commit it. They won't care whether or not they can legally be out at 2 AM.

Not to say I am for curfews by any means, but to be fair, it's not about hoping criminals stay home. If you have a curfew, it makes it harder for criminals to freely move around at night. For instance, someone who just burgled a house after curfew is taking a big risk if they are stopped by the police, who would have a legitimate reason to stop them.

Most active curfew laws are directed towards minors, which presents a different set of issues since citizens cant be forced to carry ID. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago in redneckville where i live, i saw the cops pulling people out of midnight movie lines for curfew violations, because "places of amusement" are specifically mentioned in the ordinance language. No id requirement though, means arbitrary enforcement which can be concerning.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »

What are the worst laws on the books that are still enforced today? Can be state, local, or federal law.

For me, a few examples come to mind:

Marijuana – Recreational marijuana should be legal. It's pointless to lock people up for it.
CurfewLocal curfew ordinances in my opinion violate the 1st Amendment, specifically freedom of assembly. Also, they don't work. If someone is planning on committing a crime, they are going to commit it. They won't care whether or not they can legally be out at 2 AM.
Campaign Finance – Money does not equal speech. Period.

That is the exact argument against gun control.
Except restrictions on guns are easier to enforce than restrictions on going outside, and are morally defensible.

Barely and no.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:22:51 AM »

Union shop laws.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »

I think the "still enforced" part eliminates a lot of these even if they are technically still on the books.

Miscegenation is still on the books in Portsmouth Virginia, as is a ban on hypnotism and a ban on huffing glue without a permit.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »

where do you get the permit to sniff glue?

Sec. 38-119. - Inhaling drugs or other noxious chemical substances or causing others to do so.   
(a) It shall be unlawful, except under the direction of a practitioner as defined in Code of Virginia, § 54.1-3401, for any person deliberately to smell or inhale any drugs or any other noxious chemical substances, including but not limited to fingernail polish or model airplane glue, containing any ketones, aldehydes, organic acetates, ether, chlorinated hydrocarbons or vapors, with the intent to become intoxicated, inebriated, excited, or stupefied or to dull the brain or nervous system. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than one duly licensed, deliberately to cause, invite or induce any person to smell or inhale any drugs or any other noxious substances or chemicals containing any ketone, aldehydes, organic acetates, ether, chlorinated hydrocarbons or vapors with the intent to intoxicate, inebriate, excite, or stupefy or to dull the brain or nervous system of such person.

https://library.municode.com/va/dumfries/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH38OFMIPR_ARTIVDRDRPA_DIV1GE_S38-119INDROTNOCHSUCAOTDOSO
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies