A Republican I was speaking to...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:36:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A Republican I was speaking to...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Republican I was speaking to...  (Read 2977 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »

How many conservatives do you believe actually think that registering to vote is any harder than it should be?

If anything, the Hard Eight would prefer that either (1) voting be more difficult, or (2) that voters heed their bosses.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:19 PM »

I remember reading about how Republicans in Indiana were shortening the hours of the polls in Indianapolis itself and extending them in the suburbs.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:06 PM »

I remember reading about how Republicans in Indiana were shortening the hours of the polls in Indianapolis itself and extending them in the suburbs.

Is this true ?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »

Is this true ?

I seriously hope not.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »

How many conservatives do you believe actually think that registering to vote is any harder than it should be?

In my state, you can fill out a card and mail it in.  It has 10-13 questions. 

ID needed to is either a PA ID (Driver or non-driver), or a number of others, including a utility bill.  It only has to be shown the first time the voter votes in that election district. 

https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/documents/VoterApplication_English.pdf

This isn't rocket science. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »

The City of Madison at least has always been far more meticulous about applying for a parking permit than for registering to vote. Pretty much any document suffices for the latter while they require a copy of your lease and vehicle registration for the former.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »

If true, then this would be discriminatory behavior violating the right to vote in accordance with the Voting Rights Act of 1964.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »

I don't really take issue with the statement. In Indiana You can get a free ID.

What kind of people don't have cars and can't get off work?

In Indiana? Basically everyone even in the inner city has a car, and even if they didn't they surely could find transportation and time off over the course of four years before the election.

The court system litigated this in Crawford v Marion County. Naturally, the judges examined the record. Everyone who claimed that they couldn't comply with their commonsense voter ID law was found to be a lying weasel.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »

If true, then this would be discriminatory behavior violating the right to vote in accordance with the Voting Rights Act of 1964.

This is a great way to get Neil Gorsuch to throw the rest of the Voting Rights Act of 1964 into the trash bin of history. Please proceed!
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

This is a great way to get Neil Gorsuch to throw the rest of the Voting Rights Act of 1964 into the trash bin of history. Please proceed!

ITT: People who think racial discrimination at the polls is a good thing!
BoAtlantis

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:36 PM »

My question is, why are we putting in restrictions that are both not needed and also not even address the problem? In-person voter fraud is probably the least common form of voter fraud. It must just be a coincidence that it also helps reduce turnout among certain demographics that are not too friendly to Republicans.

If you want to discourage in-person voter fraud, require a picture be taken of all people trying to vote without an acceptable form of ID. No one is going to try and pull anything if they know you have their picture to use in a facial recognition search after or during the election. Everybody is latching onto photo ID as if it is the only solution. This is a pretty stunning lack of creativity.

This is a great idea, Virginia! I don't see why anyone who sincerely wants to vote but forgot to bring his ID would not want to take a picture.

I personally think lack of ID argument put forth by Democrats is an overblown issue but I still am for making voting easier, even if the demographics favors GOP in the future.

If Republicans must insist on ID, and rejects in-person photos, I'm for ALL states giving free ID, giving same-day registration, and expanding early voting hours and options for absentee ballots. There is nothing wrong with the aforementioned.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 12:27:47 AM »

ITT: People who think racial discrimination at the polls is a good thing!

This isn't even the first time. This guy racially motivated. No doubt about that...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies