Battleground Map for the 1976 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Battleground Map for the 1976 Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battleground Map for the 1976 Election  (Read 972 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »

Basically these are the states decided by 6 points or less:

Carter 114
Ford 66
Battleground 358

So basically neither candidate started out with much of a base.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »

Just because the states were decided by fewer than 5 points doesn't NECESSARILY mean that they were "battleground states."  For example, I don't think Ford really thought he had a chance in New York.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »

Just because the states were decided by fewer than 5 points doesn't NECESSARILY mean that they were "battleground states."  For example, I don't think Ford really thought he had a chance in New York.

^This.

I think a lot of Carter’s close wins were supposed to be supposed to be more comfortable.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:22 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 12:55:07 AM by Liberalrocks »

I think this election often gets overlooked in just how close it was. While it was not a 2000 type election it was intriguing in its result. This election has always really fascinated me, not in it being hot button both men campaigned against each other with class and respect but in how tight the count was. Ford really came so close to winning after being around 30 points down at the time of Carter's DNC. Had less then 50,000 votes flipped in Wisconsin and Ohio or Mississippi and Ohio Ford would have won his own elected full term while losing the national popular vote.
Hydera

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »

I think this election often gets overlooked in just how close it was. While it was not a 2000 type election it was intriguing in its result. This election has always really fascinated me, not in it being hot button both men campaigned against each other with class and respect but in how tight the count was. Ford really came so close to winning after being around 30 points down at the time of Carter's DNC. Had less then 50,000 votes flipped in Wisconsin and Ohio or Mississippi and Ohio Ford would have won his own elected full term while losing the national popular vote.

Also consider how a uniform swing of 1% for Carter putting his popular vote margin to only 4% would had been enough to give him 410 ev's. Its probably the last time where democrats had a huge structural advantage in winning more ev's with just small popular vote swings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies