Why is Nick Saban more informed on the anthem issue than Bill Belichick?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:58:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is Nick Saban more informed on the anthem issue than Bill Belichick?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Nick Saban more informed on the anthem issue than Bill Belichick?  (Read 969 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »

Legendary University of Alabama Football head coach Nick Saban sounded off on the U.S. national anthem/police brutality war in the U.S. society, and he sounded more well-versed than legendary New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who likes to dodge questions. Why?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/09/nick_saban_said_nfl_protests_n.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z-AE_9byqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Z5cQnAK5s
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »

Legendary University of Alabama Football head coach Nick Saban sounded off on the U.S. national anthem/police brutality war in the U.S. society, and he sounded more well-versed than legendary New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who likes to dodge questions. Why?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/09/nick_saban_said_nfl_protests_n.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z-AE_9byqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Z5cQnAK5s

Belichick is just naturally a more reserved guy who, like Hilary, has been attacked often enough that he's cold, secretive and not very open with the press. Saban is just as successful but hasn't been criticized to that point yet. He often speaks flippantly about issues and I think this is just another case of that.

I don't know if Saban is a Democrat or not, but he has donated to Joe Manchin in the past.[/quote] Part of that is probably because the two are old friends, but I wouldn't be surprised if Saban was an old-school Blue dog Democrat.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »

Pro coaches don't have to be warm and magnanimous with their players like college coaches do. A lot has to do with the recruiting process and forming a close bond with a player you will have in your program for 3 to 5 years (with the redshirt season). The kids choose the school based on the coach especially a Saban type. And you see how so many of the guys on the team are in the same prayer circles together - though when you go to a pro game only a select group continue to pray at the 50.

To be in tune with the players Saban probably has to be closer to them on the issues that influence them. This is in spite of the issue that is mostly happening at the pro level.

Belichick is the kind of show up, do your job, x's and o's type of guy with the position and thus is not extremely close with his players. Does it make him a bad guy, no?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »

I have never once in my life before heard Nick Saban referred to as "warm" and "magnanimous"
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »

I have never once in my life before heard Nick Saban referred to as "warm" and "magnanimous"

You'll hear it in reference to him on the recruiting trail. Apparently he's very well loved (and not in the Hugh Freeze sort of way) by recruit's mothers and grandmothers. 
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »

You'll hear it in reference to him on the recruiting trail. Apparently he's very well loved (and not in the Hugh Freeze sort of way) by recruit's mothers and grandmothers. 

Lol Hugh Freeze. God what a slimy hypocrite
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »

He thinks it can get him a few more points against Arkansas next week.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »

Cuz winning 46-0 is just better than winning 35-0.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »

Anything less than 63-0 is cause for concern in Nick Saban's mind.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »

Yes, that's what I meant...
Just because he doesn't come off that way with Paul Finebaum or CBS' sideline person does not mean he is not to others.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »

By the transitive property we should be 4 point favorites this weekend vs Ole Miss as Vandy only lost to them 59-0. Early line I saw was Ole Miss +3. If Vandy does a "same ol' Vandy" against the Rebel Bears the APR protected chances of a bid to a December game in Mobile, Birmingham, Nashville, or Memphis go down exponentially.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 03:48:06 PM by Fmr. Pres. Griffin »

I don't watch the stuff, but based on a few comments I've seen over the years, it would seem that the Patriots have one of the whiter teams in the NFL at minimum. If I had to guess based on just natural population distribution and preferential enrollment for players, University of Alabama would probably be on the other end of the spectrum (whether we're talking about college or NFL) in terms of racial composition.

Based on this photo from 2015 (and admittedly having to guess race based on skin tone for the most part in a low resolution photo), it'd appear that about half of those pictured (team + staff) are black. The NFL as a whole is around 70% black, according to this (this article seems to suggest college football is a bit less black overall, but I imagine Alabama is above average). This might also be an issue.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

For whatever reason I would have imagined Belichick as being liberal and Saban as a Republican, but based on their responses to the anthem thing I would now guess it is the opposite.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »

Probably because Saban can say whatever he wants without it affecting his team's environment (since college players come on the field after the national anthem) while Belichick has to worry about upsetting his own locker room.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »

For whatever reason I would have imagined Belichick as being liberal and Saban as a Republican, but based on their responses to the anthem thing I would now guess it is the opposite.

I've read that Saban donated to (or is good friends with) Joe Manchin. He also turned down a visit to the Bush White House as Dolphins coach. If he's a Democrat at all, he's the blue dog variety.

Belichick, on the other hand, is fairly well known to have supported Trump. Either way, they probably downplay any political affiliation to avoid pissing off their respective fan bases.

By the transitive property we should be 4 point favorites this weekend vs Ole Miss as Vandy only lost to them 59-0. Early line I saw was Ole Miss +3. If Vandy does a "same ol' Vandy" against the Rebel Bears the APR protected chances of a bid to a December game in Mobile, Birmingham, Nashville, or Memphis go down exponentially.

FWIW, I think Vandy beats Ole Miss. The Rebs are a cluster with the threat of sanctions and Vandy is better than the past few weeks would suggest.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

I've read that Saban donated to (or is good friends with) Joe Manchin. He also turned down a visit to the Bush White House as Dolphins coach. If he's a Democrat at all, he's the blue dog variety.

Belichick, on the other hand, is fairly well known to have supported Trump. Either way, they probably downplay any political affiliation to avoid pissing off their respective fan bases.

FWIW, I think Vandy beats Ole Miss. The Rebs are a cluster with the threat of sanctions and Vandy is better than the past few weeks would suggest.

I really hope they do. A bowl bid is vital for the program to keep momentum.
They have played the 3 hardest SEC games on paper - at Florida, vs UGA, vs Alabama. They had a good 1st half vs Florida. Can they get back to that? My issue is the lack of explosiveness of Ralph Webb. Maybe using him as a receiver or outside runs instead of just up the middle they can take the pressure off of the QB who is performing admirably despite a slightly weak offensive line.
Ole Miss looked unimpressive in closing out Cal in the one game I saw extensively of them. It is probably the second worst SEC opponent left. If they lose to them they need to beat UK, UT, or USC and of course Mizzou and Western Kentucky - not 100% automatic wins but games they should win.

Tennessee
Kentucky
S. Carolina
Ole Miss
Mizzou

I still think they can win 3 of 6 and finish 6-6 (2-6 in SEC) and possibly if the cards fall the right way beat one of the other 3 and get to 7-5 but a loss to Ole Miss and I would put all 3 of those opponents as difficult ones that will need a bad game from the other team and strong performance with a turnover edge to win.

5-7 or 4-8 would be an immense let down after the promise of September.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »

Belichick works for Bob Kraft, who is a friend of Trump's.  I saw Trump fly his apprentices to meet Kraft on an episode of "The Apprentice".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies