McConnell ends blue slips!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell ends blue slips!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McConnell ends blue slips!  (Read 2342 times)
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »

Well not really, but he has instructed the judiciary committee to treat them as advisory only, limiting the powers of two home state senators of judicial nominees to hold up their nominations.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »

Well not really, but he has instructed the judiciary committee to treat them as advisory only, limiting the powers of two home state senators of judicial nominees to hold up their nominations.

Of course, rig the system once your in power, but abuse the hell of it in the minority a few years back.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »

I'm surprised Harry Reid didn't think of this first.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »

McConnell is gonna kick himself when democrats take back Washington.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »

*rolls eyes*
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »

McConnell is gonna kick himself when democrats take back Washington.

Circuit courts full of maniacs like Goodwin Liu is exactly what McConnell deserves for his cynical, hypocritical chicanery. What an utterly soulless hack.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »

No one was more slick than ole Harry.  I'm sure he threatened Mitch with it, and that's where Mitch got the idea.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »

No one was more slick than ole Harry.  I'm sure he threatened Mitch with it, and that's where Mitch got the idea.

And this was just done, huh? Well, this is one less bargaining chip.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »

ROFL...your two post directly contradict each other!   How exactly could Ole Harry NOT think of it first and still threaten Mitch with it??   Tool.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »

ROFL...your two post directly contradict each other!   How exactly could Ole Harry NOT think of it first and still threaten Mitch with it??   Tool.

My first post used the technique of sarcasm.  I guess I failed. Cry
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »

And this was just done, huh? Well, this is one less bargaining chip.

Yes, I don't know if people realize how good Republicans actually had it from 2009-2015 in the Senate. Democrats let Republicans cuck them in nominations because geezers like Leahy and Feinstein wanted to adhere to tradition. That's out the window. The minute a Democrat wins the Presidency and there's 50 Democrats in the Senate

Yup. And don't be surprised if this all increases the odds of adding seats to the various circuit and district courts
Cashew
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »

Because Patrick Leahy was stupid and tried to be nice in the name of tradition. Democrats won't be so stupid next time they have both the Senate and White House

He didn't only keep it, he reinstated it after Grassley killed it the first time.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »

Can we please, please not allow Grumps' staggering stupidity to derail another thread?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »

He didn't only keep it, he reinstated it after Grassley killed it the first time.

If they can't accept the new order now, after everything that Republicans have done, then Democrats deserve to be bamboozled on judicial nominations. It couldn't be any more obvious that Republicans simply don't care to play by the old rules any longer, and any attempt by Democrats to keep that going is only going to be a handicap on their time in power and another rule to throw out when Republicans have their time.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »

It was always a stupid rule.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »

Newt Gingrich also proposed a plan to simply eliminate the 9th circuit and boot all the bad judges. Kind of similar to Thomas Jefferson. Might as well do Sotomayor and Kagan too.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »

Yeah, I am rather surprised that such a rule exists at all. I'm not really sad to see its role be reduced.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 11:31:01 PM »

Ultimately Grassley has final say here, as Chair of the Judicary Committee. He chooses when and if to schedule hearings. So McConnell is kind of just saying this to hear himself talk.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »

It's just a matter of time now.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:28:15 AM »

If they can't accept the new order now, after everything that Republicans have done, then Democrats deserve to be bamboozled on judicial nominations. It couldn't be any more obvious that Republicans simply don't care to play by the old rules any longer, and any attempt by Democrats to keep that going is only going to be a handicap on their time in power and another rule to throw out when Republicans have their time.

This isn't just about playing by the rules. This is about dumbness if they want to give GOP the power to hold up everything, knowing they are radical extremists & obstructionists. And knowing that GOP when it power will steamroll everything on a party line basis.

GOP will keep pushing extreme right wing stuff while the Dems will try & play for the middle. In the end, the GOP drags the middle so far right that actual centrists are termed as radical extremists. Dems  just sit, push rightwards & allow the GOP to drag the compass to the right.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 05:19:08 AM »

Grassley, who is the ultimate decision maker here as the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, has elected to ignore the blue slip rule for two appeals court nominees.:

- David Stras, a nominee to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. While Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D) supports the nominee, Sen. Al Franken (D) opposes the nominee and has been blocking him for months. This has been one of the most high-profile cases of nominees blocked by blue slips, and it's no surprise that Grassley is starting here.

- Kyle Duncan, a nominee to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. This is a surprise choice because this nominee is actually being held up by Republican Sen. John Neely Kennedy. Just as in Minnesota, the other senator - Bill Cassidy (R) - supports the nominee. It's important to note that the nominee would still be likely to pass on the Senate Floor even if Kennedy's vote is ungettable, as moderate R's have largely held the line on the President's nominees, and (nearly) every Trump court nominee that has passed the Senate so far has received at least a couple of votes from Democratic Senators.

A joint hearing for the nominations will be held on Nov. 29. Both Senator Franken and Senator Kennedy are on the judiciary committee, and it will be interesting to see them question the nominees.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/16/chuck-grassley-trump-court-picks-245367
AtorBoltox

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:36 AM »

Good. The powers of congress should be severely curtailed. The filibuster should be done away with as well. 2011-2017 showed how badly these conventions can be abused.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies