Trump just threatened to strip NBC of its broadcast license
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump just threatened to strip NBC of its broadcast license
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump just threatened to strip NBC of its broadcast license  (Read 3442 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »

Can we get this maniac out of office now? He would just be replaced by another Republican, so I don't see what's the big deal. He's a clear and present danger to the world.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »

I keep wondering what would have been the reaction if Obama had said something like this about Fox News.

lol, he would have gone down to 20% in job approval and Dems would have been absolutely wiped out in 2012.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »

This is all for his ego. Best to regard this as pure comedy since he’s such a joke.

I think probably a good rule of thumb to avoiding a dictatorship is to take everything a potential dictator says and does quite seriously.

I don’t find comedy in a joke of a “man” threatening the free press because that same “man” is our president.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »

This is all for his ego. Best to regard this as pure comedy since he’s such a joke.

I think probably a good rule of thumb to avoiding a dictatorship is to take everything a potential dictator says and does quite seriously.

I don’t find comedy in a joke of a “man” threatening the free press because that same “man” is our president.

I guess. But Trump pretty much just thrives on high-scale reactions and people paying attention to him (example: NFL kneeling)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »

But college campus liberals are the real threat to free speech. /s
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »

This is just pure authoritarian bulls**t from our Free Press-Hater-in-Chief.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:11 AM »

Typical snowflake tyrant like Lenin, Mussolini, Hitler, Franco, Trujillo, Mao, Duvalier, Castro, Amin, Pinochet, or Khomeini... when one dislikes the output of a free press, then shut it down.

Hey, would-be dictator! Our Founding Fathers decided to ratify a Bill of Rights that includes the freedom of speech and the press as a protection against a would-be tyrant like you. Someone who admires dictators like Saddam Hussein and Vladimir Putin instead of the more standard heroes of conservatism such as Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.  Leaders like you? I have seen them in business, the sorts who demand that subordinates tell them only what those bosses want to hear. That's the antithesis of leadership.

...By trying to short-circuit the Constitution, this President has done an impeachable offense. It need not be a statutory crime.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »

This is just pure authoritarian bulls**t from our Free Press-Hater-in-Chief.

To be fair, he's a little right. Seeing him on TV is disgusting.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:46 AM »

"Conservatives Support Free Specch"
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:07 AM »

I guess. But Trump pretty much just thrives on high-scale reactions and people paying attention to him (example: NFL kneeling)

I get what you mean, I just don’t think that kind of talk should be disregarded when coming from someone in power even if it’s probably not something meant to be a serious threat.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »

Sasse to Trump: Are you recanting your oath of office?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »

I get what you mean, I just don’t think that kind of talk should be disregarded when coming from someone in power even if it’s probably not something meant to be a serious threat.

Ok I also see what you're saying here.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

Sasse's career ended last year.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »

Typical snowflake tyrant like Lenin, Mussolini, Hitler, Franco, Trujillo, Mao, Duvalier, Castro, Amin, Pinochet, or Khomeini... when one dislikes the output of a free press, then shut it down.

Hey, would-be dictator! Our Founding Fathers decided to ratify a Bill of Rights that includes the freedom of speech and the press as a protection against a would-be tyrant like you. Someone who admires dictators like Saddam Hussein and Vladimir Putin instead of the more standard heroes of conservatism such as Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.  Leaders like you? I have seen them in business, the sorts who demand that subordinates tell them only what those bosses want to hear. That's the antithesis of leadership.

...By trying to short-circuit the Constitution, this President has done an impeachable offense. It need not be a statutory crime.

Cry me a river
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 10:07:46 AM »

Cry me a river

The joke of a president you worship is the river-crier.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »

Cry me a river

It's telling that he endorses Roy Moore for the US Senate. Talk about someone who does not understand the core principle stare decisis that keeps legal process from disintegrating into legal anarchy.

President Trump knows little of law. I contrast the man that Sarah Palin ridiculed as a "Professor of Constitutional Law"... you know who. President Obama is an arch-conservative on legal precedent and diplomatic protocol. He may have had plenty of trouble with Congress, but practically none with the legal process.

Do you know what I find ironic? The next conservative President that we have who will not be a joke will have much the same temperament and the same respect for legal niceties as Barack Obama. See also "Dwight Eisenhower", another stickler for legal precedent and nicety.     
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »

Cry me a river

Not sure. Is this sarcasm again?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »

Sasse to Trump: Are you recanting your oath of office?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Off-topic, but  him.

Ben Sasse is an empty suit. Talks tough, but does nothing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

If this was Old Atlas Inks would slap him with 10 points for excessive hyperbole.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »

Cry me a river

It's telling that he endorses Roy Moore for the US Senate. Talk about someone who does not understand the core principle stare decisis that keeps legal process from disintegrating into legal anarchy.

President Trump knows little of law. I contrast the man that Sarah Palin ridiculed as a "Professor of Constitutional Law"... you know who. President Obama is an arch-conservative on legal precedent and diplomatic protocol. He may have had plenty of trouble with Congress, but practically none with the legal process.

Do you know what I find ironic? The next conservative President that we have who will not be a joke will have much the same temperament and the same respect for legal niceties as Barack Obama. See also "Dwight Eisenhower", another stickler for legal precedent and nicety.     

Liberals love stare decisis when discussing Roe v. Wade.  It's a different story when they talk about Plessy v. Ferguson.

Plessy v. Ferguson was overturned because folks came to see it as bad law.  And well it should have been overturned.  Roe v. Wade should meet the same fate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »

If this was Old Atlas Inks would slap him with 10 points for excessive hyperbole.

I don't think I ever used that as a basis for points.... always thought the idea of excessive hyperbole was stupid (mods, feel free to check me on this... could be I'm wrong and that I used it).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »

Plessy v. Ferguson was overturned because folks came to see it as bad law.  And well it should have been overturned.  Roe v. Wade should meet the same fate.

"Separate but equal" sounded good in theory, better than the alternative of "nothing at all". Segregated  schools were better than no schools at all. Separate water fountains were better than none at all. "Colored"  seating in a movie theater were better than no seats at all. A "colored " takeout window at a restaurant that would never allow blacks to dine was better than no chance to get a meal from the restaurant. "Separate" neighborhoods may have been slums, but those were better than no housing whatsoever.

"Separate but equal" proved to be an oxymoron in practice. American law may not always be rational in result, but it tends toward a chilly logic. Roughly sixty years after Plessy v. Ferguson, the "but equal" segment of the phrase had proved impossible to realize reliably.  Note also that in the 1950s, Americans had come to recognize that the segregation of people based on something not so obvious as skin color (like the religion of one's grandparents) had served as a pretext for one of the most horrific crimes of history.

Had segregated facilities and institutions proved to have at least the potential of offering equality of result, then Plessy v. Ferguson might have remained intact. But in practice blacks almost every where and some Asian groups in the West clearly got worse -- the cast-offs that the white community was willing to offer.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies