Let's take a moment to appreciate what we had
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:40:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Let's take a moment to appreciate what we had
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Let's take a moment to appreciate what we had  (Read 3149 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

And yet people in the country were so economically despereate that they voted for Trump to be his successor. He was a moderate republican as he stated himself

No.

The economy improved under Obama, and the unemployment rate plummeted. 
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »

I agree that the Obamas certainly have a level of class not found in today's white house, but the measure of a president shouldn't be how many world leaders he can make laugh or children he can take pictures with. On the policy front, whether it's the domestic policy agenda that crushed small businesses and made healthcare more expensive (as opposed to less, as he promised), or the foreign policy that projected weakness abroad, allowing Russia to more boldly challenge us on the world stage and radical Islam to spread like wildfire, Obama was an abject failure as a president.

I'm going to ignore all the other nonsense in this post and focus on the bolded portion of this post for a moment.  The majority of your party formed a personality cult around a sex predator whose campaign actively colluded with Russian intelligence during the campaign and who has actively pursued a blatantly pro-Russian foreign policy agenda whenever possible.  Unless you voted against Trump in 2016, you're in no position to criticize anyone for being soft on Russia.  I know intellectual honesty is hard to come by these days, but good lord, some of you guys are so full of sh!t it's insane.  I mean, give me a f***ing break!

If you did not vote for Trump in 2016 then I apologize for assuming the worst although your assessment of Obama's policies is still ridiculously inaccurate.

I left my presidential vote blank and voted down ballot for Republicans. I'm not some Trump stooge who ignores the blatant Russia pandering of the current president, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize the previous president for his failings.

I also seem to recall the previous President mocking Romney for "living in the 80's" when he warned about Russia's ambitions, during the 2012 campaign.

What's your point?

The "muh Romney Russia 2012" is a dumb, lazy pseudo-argument, the point of which isn't even clear to me. Russia didn't try to hack any of our elections before 2012. Russia didn't invade Ukraine until 2014 and Russian support of Syria in 2012 was much less of an issue because the gravity of the civil conflict there wasn't clear. It's almost as if, gasp, geopolitics changed between 2012 and 2016. Why to Republicans keep bringing this up in the context of discussions of Russian government support of Donald Trump in the 2016 electino?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »

I miss having a president who was kind-hearted, classy, personable, hard-working, and simply just a good man.

Now we have a narcissistic, clueless, bigoted, racist, slob as our commander-in-chief who cares about nobody and nothing other than himself and his ego.

It took Donald Trump to make us all realize how truly good we had it just last year...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »

Obama and Trump are both bad

(Trump is worse)

A flat tire on the wrong road and an exploding toxic waste tanker falling off a cliff are both bad. And one is worse than the other. But 'both bad' and 'worse' are very inadequate descriptions.

There's an old saying that a choice between "bad" and "worse" is often more significant than one between "good" and "bad".
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »

I guess him too. Ryan is an asshat who quite possibly is the worst house speaker in history regarding competence and divisiveness.  
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »

I agree that the Obamas certainly have a level of class not found in today's white house, but the measure of a president shouldn't be how many world leaders he can make laugh or children he can take pictures with. On the policy front, whether it's the domestic policy agenda that crushed small businesses and made healthcare more expensive (as opposed to less, as he promised), or the foreign policy that projected weakness abroad, allowing Russia to more boldly challenge us on the world stage and radical Islam to spread like wildfire, Obama was an abject failure as a president.

I'm going to ignore all the other nonsense in this post and focus on the bolded portion of this post for a moment.  The majority of your party formed a personality cult around a sex predator whose campaign actively colluded with Russian intelligence during the campaign and who has actively pursued a blatantly pro-Russian foreign policy agenda whenever possible.  Unless you voted against Trump in 2016, you're in no position to criticize anyone for being soft on Russia.  I know intellectual honesty is hard to come by these days, but good lord, some of you guys are so full of sh!t it's insane.  I mean, give me a f***ing break!

If you did not vote for Trump in 2016 then I apologize for assuming the worst although your assessment of Obama's policies is still ridiculously inaccurate.

I left my presidential vote blank and voted down ballot for Republicans. I'm not some Trump stooge who ignores the blatant Russia pandering of the current president, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize the previous president for his failings.

I also seem to recall the previous President mocking Romney for "living in the 80's" when he warned about Russia's ambitions, during the 2012 campaign.

What's your point?

The "muh Romney Russia 2012" is a dumb, lazy pseudo-argument, the point of which isn't even clear to me. Russia didn't try to hack any of our elections before 2012. Russia didn't invade Ukraine until 2014 and Russian support of Syria in 2012 was much less of an issue because the gravity of the civil conflict there wasn't clear. It's almost as if, gasp, geopolitics changed between 2012 and 2016. Why to Republicans keep bringing this up in the context of discussions of Russian government support of Donald Trump in the 2016 electino?

The reason it's brought up is to point out that Romney had the foresight to see that Russia was a present and growing for to American interests. The fact that those things happened after 2012 only reinforce the prescience of Romney's position.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »

I don't agree with this assessment.  I don't agree with everything he did, but Obama was hardly a failed President, and while today's Democrats are acting like jerks with "The Resistance", the Obama Era GOP gave them the template for it.

Obama could have, and should have, derailed Hillary Clinton's political ambitions, however, and he did not.  Any other Democrat would have prevailed against Trump.  He was in a position to tell the Wicked Witch of Westchester to take her money and her philandering husband and enjoy retirement.  Instead, he allowed the Democratic Party establishment to clear the decks for Hillary.  Obama could have stopped that nomination.  Instead, he allowed his party to nominate someone under FBI investigation.  He COULD have cleared the decks for Biden.  That, IMO, would have been far more defensible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »

I miss having a president who was kind-hearted, classy, personable, hard-working, and simply just a good man.

I miss Dubs too.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »

I miss Dubs too.

LOL.
Grumpy's joke just back fired on him.
Even Grumps cant attribute the characteristics above, to trump.
He has to point to W, instead.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »

I miss Dubs too.

LOL.

I love Dubs wayyyyyyyyyyy more than Trump.  Always will.  Besides we're reminiscing about the past, PM.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2017, 03:54:36 PM by ProudModerate2 »

I miss Dubs too.

LOL.

I love Dubs wayyyyyyyyyyy more than Trump.  Always will.  Besides we're reminiscing about the past, PM.

No we are not "reminiscing about the past."
The original post in this chain says "I miss having a president." That would include the current president.
So stop trying to back-peddle and create dumb excuses.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »

I miss Dubs too.

LOL.

I love Dubs wayyyyyyyyyyy more than Trump.  Always will.  Besides we're reminiscing about the past, PM.

No we are not "reminiscing about the past."
The original post in this chain says "I miss having a president." That would include the current president.
So stop trying to back-peddle and create dumb excuses.

Well I thought we were reminiscing I didn't read it that closely. But I do miss the dubs.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »

Instead, he allowed the Democratic Party establishment to clear the decks for Hillary.  Obama could have stopped that nomination.  Instead, he allowed his party to nominate someone under FBI investigation.  He COULD have cleared the decks for Biden.  That, IMO, would have been far more defensible.
I agree with this. Many people voted for him in 2008 to escape the Clintons. Then 8 years later, he is telling people to turn around and go vote for the same woman we voted against to help him save us from another 4-8 years of Clinton scandals and impeachment proceedings. Terrible mistake, and his legacy is now the worse for it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »

I see three cardinal virtues in political leadership: kindness, caution, and conscience. The lack of any one of these creates trouble. Kindness is necessary for acting human ely, Caution keeps one out of problems that result from rashness. Conscience causes  one to make morally correct, if difficult choices.

Obama had all three. Trump has none of these. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 05:45:06 PM »

Just when I was starting to miss Maobama.  Thanks for setting me straight.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »

I see three cardinal virtues in political leadership: kindness, caution, and conscience. The lack of any one of these creates trouble. Kindness is necessary for acting human ely, Caution keeps one out of problems that result from rashness. Conscience causes  one to make morally correct, if difficult choices.

In fairness the only one Hillary had was caution and even that is somewhat debatable.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:57 PM »

In fairness the only one Hillary had was caution and even that is somewhat debatable.

If HagridOfTheDeep ever wakes up, and removes his head from where he's parked it, he'll find that there isn't much of a class differential between Trump and Hillary.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 01:54:17 AM »

And yet people in the country were so economically despereate that they voted for Trump to be his successor. He was a moderate republican as he stated himself

Although I know Timmy isn’t being entirely serious, the widespread dismissal of economic anxiety as bogus because facts like that presented is pretty stupid. Does anyone honestly believe that the majority of people that voted for Trump did so because of economic anxiety? They didn’t. It’s a misunderstanding (intentional or not) of the economic anxiety argument, which is meant to explain the relatively small number of voters who switched from Obama to Trump or simply didn’t show up for Clinton. These weren’t a huge number of voters, but they were enough to hurt Clinton’s numbers, especially in the Rust Belt.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »

Every thought of Obama makes Trump, for all his flaws, look better almost instantly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »

No.

The economy improved under Obama, and the unemployment rate plummeted. 

all economic complexity and variety can disregarded through use of a single statistic.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »

Can anyone explain this then?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

- The Democrats - https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/260497619862835201

- Barack Obama at the 2012 DNC - http://www.npr.org/2012/09/06/160713941/transcript-president-obamas-convention-speech

-  Barack Obama during 2012 Presidential debate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2a44F5TgM)

The DNC even made a poster mocking Romney about watching Rocky IV to get his foreign policy: https://theintercept.com/wp-uploads/sites/1/2016/09/romneykerry.jpg

- John Kerry at the 2012 DNC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUyqLrgO7Q

- Then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Romney's views on Russia http://www.redstate.com/erick/2014/03/04/hillary-clinton-mocked-romney-on-russia-then-goes-to-hitler-comparisons/

-  Then VP Joe Biden http://www.politico.com/story/2012/04/biden-assails-mocks-romney-on-foreign-policy-075653

- The New York Times September 2012 archive.is/IsUS9

- Obama to Russia/Putin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFR8DbSRQE

- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303836404577475061208876588
ahugecat

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »

gflip.com/1xqp7n.jpg[/img]

Weren't you from California? Some more white flight I see.
ahugecat

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:22 PM »

What's your point?

What did the former governor of Massachusetts see in Russia that our Commander-in-Chief, 2 Secretary of States, and Vice President could not see?

Perhaps if Russia is this boogeyman you think it is, Obama should have focused more on foreign policy than joking with Jerry Seinfeld and making stupid Buzzfeed YouTube videos?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »

Ahhh this thread is a nice reminder that appearance matters more than action to most people in how they view politicians . Sad!

Most self-described centrists would vote for an outright fascist if the right norms were respected.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »

Although I know Timmy isn’t being entirely serious, the widespread dismissal of economic anxiety as bogus because facts like that presented is pretty stupid. Does anyone honestly believe that the majority of people that voted for Trump did so because of economic anxiety? They didn’t. It’s a misunderstanding (intentional or not) of the economic anxiety argument, which is meant to explain the relatively small number of voters who switched from Obama to Trump or simply didn’t show up for Clinton. These weren’t a huge number of voters, but they were enough to hurt Clinton’s numbers, especially in the Rust Belt.

I agree. I really don't like how many people are dismissing the "economic anxiety" argument. Trump (and Sanders) expressed certain voters' anger over manufacturing jobs being replaced with lower-wage service jobs (or no jobs) and made people feel like he was listening to them and cared about them in a way that other politicians (Obama, Clinton) were not. You can argue that Clinton had more substantive policy whereas Trump had none, but these voters were facing their jobs getting shipped overseas and saw one candidate tweeting about it and making bringing those jobs back a corner of his campaign. I don't remember who said it but some quote was being passed around after the election from a Trump voter, saying "we didn't have the luxury of voting based on our morals." One of my hopes is that these voters realize the next time around that Trump and a lot of other Republicans were using them and their plight the whole time and don't really care about them.

If somebody did acknowledge Obama should have been more attentive on Russia, what would you do? That's why I don't understand this argument. It's like you guys are fishing for criticisms of Obama.

This post is extremely idiotic and got me quite annoyed. Therefore, I will acknowledge that it was quite a good troll. Kudos; you are good at making posts like this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies