Did God err in making Adam ruler over Eve? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:34:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Did God err in making Adam ruler over Eve? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did God err in making Adam ruler over Eve?  (Read 1477 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 12, 2017, 02:51:56 AM »

We are punished for our own sins, not Adam's transgression.
Word, yo.

Seriously though, I completely agree, of course. Why should everyone be punished for Adam and Eve's sin? That doesn't make sense.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »

Was Jesus not punished for our sins?

Was Eve not punished for Adams?

Regards
DL

In Mormon belief, Christ freely gave his life for everyone's sins, understanding the price of sin from the beginning.

Word, yo.

Seriously though, I completely agree, of course. Why should everyone be punished for Adam and Eve's sin? That doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that Original Sin is a sham?

Was God's punishment of Jesus a sham as well?

Do you see Eve as a sinner when scriptures say she was deceived by God's helper?

Regards
DL
Yes, Mormonism believes that Original Sin is a sham. Adam and Eve were punished for their sin, but it is a sin they repented of, and beyond being kicked out of the Garden of Even and becoming mortal, it's not a sin the rest of humanity shares. In fact, Mormonism teaches that part of the Plan of Salvation, God's plan for all humanity, relied on Adam and Eve being kicked out of the Garden of Even and gaining the ability to procreate.

Jesus's role, in dying for the sins of humanity, was also key in the Plan of Salvation. There is a passage in the Book of Mormon, that explains:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mormonism argues that eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and accepting the consequences afterwards was the correct, rational choice.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:54:50 AM »

I see now it was a mistake responding in sincerity to this thread, as Greatest I am just wants to bash any form of Christianity that isn't his particular form of Gnostic Christianity. My answer was not bashing Gnostic Christianity in any way, and yet I get insulted.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »

Was Jesus not punished for our sins?

Was Eve not punished for Adams?

Regards
DL

In Mormon belief, Christ freely gave his life for everyone's sins, understanding the price of sin from the beginning.

Word, yo.

Are you saying that Original Sin is a sham?

Was God's punishment of Jesus a sham as well?

Do you see Eve as a sinner when scriptures say she was deceived by God's helper?

Regards
DL
Yes, Mormonism believes that Original Sin is a sham. Adam and Eve were punished for their sin, but it is a sin they repented of, and beyond being kicked out of the Garden of Even and becoming mortal, it's not a sin the rest of humanity shares. In fact, Mormonism teaches that part of the Plan of Salvation, God's plan for all humanity, relied on Adam and Eve being kicked out of the Garden of Even and gaining the ability to procreate.

Jesus's role, in dying for the sins of humanity, was also key in the Plan of Salvation. There is a passage in the Book of Mormon, that explains:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mormonism argues that eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and accepting the consequences afterwards was the correct, rational choice.

So, question. I may be an atheist, but I studied Bible in school, and I remember (and checked before posting) that in the end of Adam and Eve's story, god is giving them a pretty specific punishment- Eve would have to give birth in pain, and Adam would have to work hard for his bread. Well, as we know, women do give birth in pain, and bread does not grow on trees. So according to Mormonism, did the original punishment not have any effect on us? Did it just punish Adam and Eve, and if so, why did these punishments carry on to the rest of humanity (and the snake's punishment carried on to all snakes)?

Well, in Mormonism, there is an overarching Plan of Salvation, which is basically God's plan for everyone. A large part of it is that we are all spiritual brothers and sisters, and we exist in spirit form before we exist as mortals. And a large part of the point of the Plan of Salvation is to get a mortal body and experience mortality, including death. Mormon belief is that in the Garden of Eden, it was stagnant in all things, including life and death. So without death, there could be no new life. Therefore, while Adam and Eve were punished for disobeying God in the "don't eat this" commandment, we believe that this was all part of God's plan, and that they should not be condemned for it. They paid the price for the sin, and it was intended to happen to allow all of humanity to be mortal. The original sin does not apply to us, even though we are mortal because of it. Any sin that happens is our own, not Adam and Eve's.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

[ So without death, there could be no new life.

So it was a good thing that A & E disobeyed God. Right?

Further, the bible does not agree with you.

In Gen 1, God tells A & E to reproduce.

Are you suggesting that God told them to do what they could not do before bringing deat to mankind?

Quite the glitch for you to deal with.

Regards
DL
Yes. We have additional scriptures that clarify the matter. He gives them two conflicting commandments, with the express purpose that they'd disobey one to fulfill the other.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies