The Ongoing Disaster in Puerto Rico: Trump Threatens to Abandon Recovery Efforts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:21:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Ongoing Disaster in Puerto Rico: Trump Threatens to Abandon Recovery Efforts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ongoing Disaster in Puerto Rico: Trump Threatens to Abandon Recovery Efforts  (Read 1045 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
« edited: October 12, 2017, 08:29:51 AM by Arch »

He's doing such a "great job." I'm sure.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/10/12/trump-warns-puerto-rico-we-cannot-keep-fema-the-military-the-first-responders-forever/?utm_term=.0ebef4891882

Earlier: PR under boil water notice.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »

That is simply appalling. But, look at what Republicans allowed (and continue to allow) to happen in Flint, Michigan with their water supply. Or what they did to post-Katrina New Orleans. They have a long track record of totally disregarding the lives and wellbeing of those who aren't wealthy and White.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »

Trump: We can't keep FEMA, military in Puerto Rico forever

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/trump-puerto-rico-response-long-term-243705
You must be logged in to read this quote.

President Moron must need the military to go start a war with North Korea, or maybe Iran.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »

Trump: We can't keep FEMA, military in Puerto Rico forever

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/trump-puerto-rico-response-long-term-243705

President Moron must need the military to go start a war with North Korea, or maybe Iran.

Things just get worse and worse with this sad excuse for a leader.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 08:50:48 AM by Jacobin American »

The absolute and total disregard for the lives of fellow Americans, simply because they’re systematically disenfranchised from the political process and denied federal representation, not to mention the underlying motivations for denying them representation and resenting their need for assistance being their racial identity and lack of wealth, is a travesty and violation of Puerto Ricans’ right to basic human dignity. This is simply appalling, yet overall unsurprising. It fits perfectly within the rightwing ideological framework of shaming those in need, especially when they aren’t White.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »

...I notice that at the same time, President Trump has done nothing about the fires in California. Of course, California 'votes wrong'. Mexican-American Californians, and there are far more of them than Donald Trump wishes there were,  'vote wrong' -- big. 

Donald Trump acts like a typical bad aristocrat of early-modern times: kiss up to me, and you get the privilege of survival, you peon. Run afoul of me and suffer grievously.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »

...I notice that at the same time, President Trump has done nothing about the fires in California. Of course, California 'votes wrong'. Mexican-American Californians, and there are far more of them than Donald Trump wishes there were,  'vote wrong' -- big. 

Donald Trump acts like a typical bad aristocrat of early-modern times: kiss up to me, and you get the privilege of survival, you peon. Run afoul of me and suffer grievously.

Could any more have been done to deal with the fires in California?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »

I do not know.

President Trump can't do much there except to put his foot in his mouth.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »

...I notice that at the same time, President Trump has done nothing about the fires in California. Of course, California 'votes wrong'. Mexican-American Californians, and there are far more of them than Donald Trump wishes there were,  'vote wrong' -- big.  

I do not know.

President Trump can't do much there except to put his foot in his mouth.

Even against Trump, I don't think accusations should be made that can't be supported.  Sad

Global warming is certainly making these wildfires worse (the woods are even drier than normal) and Trump isn't helping on that at all, but to suggest that Trump is withholding needed aid in fighting the forest fires needs actual evidence.

I also point out here that when people say 'regulations hurt economic growth' that they just show how ignorant they are.

Regulations that hurt the coal industry or hurt other green house gas emitters hurt those industries, but they can help other industries like those in forestry (also fishing, agriculture...)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »

How long did FEMA stay in Louisiana/Mississippi after Katrina?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:49 PM »

How long did FEMA stay in Louisiana/Mississippi after Katrina?
Years.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »

No surprise, he is a terrible person.

When he kicks the bucket, the flags should not stand half mast.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »

Yes, but not at the same strength.........I think that's what he's getting at but who knows.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 01:38:33 PM »

Is anyone still denying he's a sociopath? Name one time he's shown himself capable of basic human empathy.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »

Is anyone still denying he's a sociopath? Name one time he's shown himself capable of basic human empathy.

He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He has no human empathy, especially for people outside his social class or for people of color.
He is worse than a sociopath.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »

He truly is a piece of sh**t. With him it's "Love me or die."
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »

• $576.5 million in U.S. Forest Service and Department of Interior grants for wildfire suppression and management
  • $18.67 billion for FEMA disaster relief fund
  • $4.9 billion loan to Puerto Rico for maintaining basic government operations
  • $150 million loan to Puerto Rico to cover its matching funds for FEMA grants. This brings Puerto Rico's loans to $5.05 billion of the $18.67 billion for FEMA disaster relief
  • $29 million allotted for administrative expenses for the Puerto Rico loans
  • $13.58 billion of FEMA disaster relief must be shared between Florida, Puerto Rico, Texas, and the Virgin Islands
  • $1.27 billion grant to Puerto Rico for "disaster nutritional assistance"
  • $16 billion grant to the National Flood Insurance Program

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 11:57:24 PM »

Yes, but not at the same strength.........I think that's what he's getting at but who knows.

Trump tweeted to Texas/Florida this hurricane season that he would do anything the needed, and be with them as along as they wanted.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »

Disaster teams doing "spa days" and the Comfort only has 8 patients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiyjlq3ncE
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »

He re-affirmed today in a speech that their not abandoning Puerto Rico at all.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »

He re-affirmed changed his mind today in a speech that their [sic] not abandoning Puerto Rico at all.

FTFY
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

Post I read on FB:

"I'm beginning to think the strategy is to allow as many Puerto ricans to die and the rest to exile...so they can come in and profit from dirt cheap real estate and make PR Hawaii part 2.

If saving Puerto Ricans were the concern, we'd be seeing 20 to 50 Chinook helicopters flying 5 to 10 shipping crates filled with food DAILY, to affected towns. Wed see 50,000 to 100,000 US soldiers stationed in San Juan area parks in military campa and traveling from there to affected towns on a daily basis. Wed be shocked and awed at the incredible efficiency of the USA military machine

We dont. Consequently, conclusion: the plan is to a LET US DIE.

You have too much hope placed upon people who see us as uncomfortable obstacles to their buying up our buildings and moving in their people."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies