Trump signs executive order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine market
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:59:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump signs executive order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine market
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump signs executive order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine market  (Read 2166 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »

So Trump's EO will just hurt sick people while at the same time insurance companies hate it cause it opens a legality Pandora's box. Yep Trump summed up in a nutshell
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »

Bout time he did something half-decent
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 12:03:03 PM by Blue3 »

Hopefully a court puts a hold on this EO from taking effect.

How likely is it to happen?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »

Meh,  this is a typical Trump EO. A lot of bluster, but not much action.

https://twitter.com/nicholas_bagley/status/918484974545842176
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »

Hooray for higher premiums and lesser benefits!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »

This EO may eventually be a big nothing (go nowhere, actual implementation failure).
It seems to me, that trump is doing this mainly for attention, and to say "look I'm doing something about Obamacare."

So once again, it's the severe mental illness case of narcissism.
Sign the EO with huge "Donald Trump" letters, hold it up for the cameras, and satisfy the sick brain inside his decrepit body.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »

You believe increased healthcare costs for the sick is a good thing?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »

LOL. Circa 2014 the Deplorable-in-Chief was calling President Obama everything but a child of God for signing "endless executive orders" and not working with Congress.
Friend
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 04:25:38 PM by Friend »

Yay i can potentially  afford health insurance now! Its funny how liberals hate corporations but love to support monopolistic policies as long as they're told they "help" people. After all, only republicans try to make corporatist polices sound like they help poor people. Liberals are too smart to be fooled.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »

Good
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »

Agreed, but this ain't it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »

Yay i can potentially afford health insurance now! Its funny how liberals hate corporations but love to support monopolistic policies as long as they're told they "help" people. After all, only republicans try to make corporatist polices sound like they help poor people. Liberals are too smart to be fooled.
Potentially afford health insurance, if you're already healthy.  But you know, people don't want health insurance, the want health care. This proposal will reduce health care and make it harder to obtain. If it even goes into effect. Between the regulatory hurdles and other timelines, this won't have any significant effect until 2019. at the earliest.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »

#WINNING BRUH
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »

Yass, can't wait to keep winning and drink the tears of all these wealthy urban liberals who already get an insurance from their workplace while many of our voters rely on Obamacare!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »

Makes me wonder if the ACA will still be salvageable by the time Democrats return to power...  
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »

Yay i can potentially  afford health insurance now! Its funny how liberals hate corporations but love to support monopolistic policies as long as they're told they "help" people. After all, only republicans try to make corporatist polices sound like they help poor people. Liberals are too smart to be fooled.

Friend
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »

Listen buddy, I'm self employed and have a family of 5. The cheapest plan i can get is $1600 a month. We haven't had health insurance for 5 years. My families incredibly healthy all we need is a catastrophe plan in case a seriously expensive accident happens.
"Among policy experts, critics warned that young and healthy people who use relatively little insurance will gravitate to association health plans because of their lower price tags. That would concentrate older and sicker customers in ACA marketplaces with spiking rates."
You shouldn't have to pay more insurance for a services you don't use. In our case its so much we can't afford it at all. The biggest winners in Obamacare were the large insurance companies who saw all their competition killed. We used to be able to afford health insurance... I'm sorry but those people already receive help through subsides, which my tax dollars fund.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

Listen buddy, I'm self employed and have a family of 5. The cheapest plan i can get is $1600 a month. We haven't had health insurance for 5 years. My families incredibly healthy all we need is a catastrophe plan in case a seriously expensive accident happens.
"Among policy experts, critics warned that young and healthy people who use relatively little insurance will gravitate to association health plans because of their lower price tags. That would concentrate older and sicker customers in ACA marketplaces with spiking rates."
You shouldn't have to pay more insurance for a services you don't use. In our case its so much we can't afford it at all. The biggest winners in Obamacare were the large insurance companies who saw all their competition killed. We used to be able to afford health insurance... I'm sorry but those people already receive help through subsides, which my tax dollars fund.

With a family of 5, you're eligible for premium subsidies up to an income of over $115,000, which would lower your monthly premium to around $900 or so (or less if your income is less) per month for a Silver plan. Even less for a Bronze plan if that's all you need.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »

Look, at the end of the day, the ultimate problem is a for-profit healthcare system itself. Its sole aim is to maximize profit, which means increased out-of-pocket expenses and exclusionary tactics intended to reduce the number of unhealthy people from coverage and participation. That's exactly the opposite of what a healthcare system should do. That's the fundamental problem here. What Trump has done will result in millions of vulnerable Americans losing access to health insurance, which is not only inhumane and a violation of what is widely regarded by the world as a fundamental human right (easy access to affordable and effective medical care), but harmful to us as a society. The current system, as it exists, still denies coverage to millions of Americans, my family among them.

My mom, my sister, and me, all have medical issues, to varying degrees, and fall into the low-income category, yet we haven't had health insurance in years, save last year, despite the ACA. Below a certain income level, you no longer qualify for a subsidy and access to the marketplace; after my father passed in December, we lost the ability to have health insurance because the loss of income dropped us below the cutoff limit for the marketplace. Unfortunately, Florida doesn't participate in Medicaid expansion, so we don't qualify for any help whatsoever. Yet, there are people who qualify for the marketplace and risk losing coverage because this would result in insurance companies being able to discriminate based on need. How's that fair? I don't want you or your family to be without health insurance; I don't want any living, breathing American to not have access to healthcare coverage. That's the problem with not providing universal coverage, some people benefit while others don't, yet pay taxes. That's unfair too.
Friend
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »

With a family of 5, you're eligible for premium subsidies up to an income of over $115,000, which would lower your monthly premium to around $900 or so (or less if your income is less) per month for a Silver plan. Even less for a Bronze plan if that's all you need.

The $1600 is the premium plus the extra $700 a month payed in taxes before being subsidized due to Obamacare...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »

This man truly is an idiot. It's like Dr. Evil from Austin Powers became president.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »

The $1600 is the premium plus the extra $700 a month payed in taxes before being subsidized due to Obamacare...

So you just made up a number out of thin air that was $700 to high. K.
Friend
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »

Look, at the end of the day, the ultimate problem is a for-profit healthcare system itself. Its sole aim is to maximize profit, which means increased out-of-pocket expenses and exclusionary tactics intended to reduce the number of unhealthy people from coverage and participation. That's exactly the opposite of what a healthcare system should do. That's the fundamental problem here. What Trump has done will result in millions of vulnerable Americans losing access to health insurance, which is not only inhumane and a violation of what is widely regarded by the world as a fundamental human right (easy access to affordable and effective medical care), but harmful to us as a society. The current system, as it exists, still denies coverage to millions of Americans, my family among them.

My mom, my sister, and me, all have medical issues, to varying degrees, and fall into the low-income category, yet we haven't had health insurance in years, save last year, despite the ACA. Below a certain income level, you no longer qualify for a subsidy and access to the marketplace; after my father passed in December, we lost the ability to have health insurance because the loss of income dropped us below the cutoff limit for the marketplace. Unfortunately, Florida doesn't participate in Medicaid expansion, so we don't qualify for any help whatsoever. Yet, there are people who qualify for the marketplace and risk losing coverage because this would result in insurance companies being able to discriminate based on need. How's that fair? I don't want you or your family to be without health insurance; I don't want any living, breathing American to not have access to healthcare coverage. That's the problem with not providing universal coverage, some people benefit while others don't, yet pay taxes. That's unfair too.
I agree that everyone should have affordable access to healthcare. Don't mistake me for a hardline libertarian who believes any government intervention is evil, my problem is that Obamacare is an insurance company ploy that is being treated as something its not. And its hurt many like myself. It would be far cheaper for everyone if they used the tax increase,which would be much smaller, to subsidize those truly in need by expanding medicare. Then allow for a competitive insurance market with low premiums. Maybe even offer a public option at a cheap price to keep premiums lower. Instead they just pump subsides imto the insurance companies and cause many people's premiums to go up. But in the mean time I have to support the plan that allows my family to get coverage. I understand and respect your position, its a shame we must be at odds while insurance companies profit more than ever.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »

I really wish liberals would stop screaming "The ACA is dead!"  First, there will be lawsuits.  Second, the Congress is almost certain to cuck him on this (again) by funding the subsidies anyway.

The ACA is the law of the land and there's no going back.  The only thing this juvenile, unconstitutional move will do is increase the Democrats' chances of taking the House.

Oh yeah, and single-payer.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies