Can you really blame Hillary for not camaigning in Michigan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:43:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Can you really blame Hillary for not camaigning in Michigan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can you really blame Hillary for not camaigning in Michigan?  (Read 1504 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »

I think MI 2016 was like IN 08 because both would have already been won if they were winning. Discuss.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »

What blows my mind is how the Clinton campaign - even without conducting polling in the final weeks - seemingly had no idea they were hemorrhaging voters in a variety of states, with MI in particular being the perfect example.

I could see the basic argument of "well, we're going to replace every Obama-Trump voter with a Romney-Clinton voter" in PA and maybe even WI, but MI? Where exactly were those voters they thought would make up the difference?

Only Obama managed to make MI non-competitive in recent cycles. It was a 3-point race in 2004 with an arguably better candidate in terms of connecting with working class voters and there was a clearly-obvious national trend among working class types away from Democrats in 2016.

I think MI 2016 was like IN 08 because both would have already been won if they were winning. Discuss.

It's very unlikely that a loss in MI could have happened alongside a Democratic EV win in 2016, even with the possibility of winning states like AZ.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »

Wisconsin yes. I believe it was the VP announcement that was supposed to be in Green Bay but was moved to NC.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »

Michigan isn't like Indiana because from 1992-2004 the Republicans won Indiana by 5+ points.

George W. Bush won Indiana by 20 points in 2004.

On the other hand, Bush lost Michigan by only around 4 points in 2004. Obama won it by 9.5 points in 2012.

Also Clinton lost the Democratic primaries in Michigan which should've been a warning sign. Not to mention the GOP getting more votes in the primary.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »

It wasn't the tipping point state no she could have won it and still lost. But it was a swing state and to the right of the nation-she really should have put more effort into the state.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »

No I can't blame her, because she did campaign in Michigan
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:06:12 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 12:20:04 AM by Liberalrocks »

No I can't blame her, because she did campaign in Michigan
This, let’s not rewrite history she did, as did Obama on her behalf. Could there have been more effort earlier,  yes. The only battleground state she didn’t visit post primary season was Wisconsin. Her surrogates Kaine and Chelsea went. She campaigned in Michigan shortly before the election and intensely in Florida and Pennsylvania and lost all of them. She was in Philly the night before and still lost Pennsylvania. Maybe she should have gone to Wilkes-Barre, Bethlehem,  and Erie?...Pre Comey letter drop Michigan and Wisconsin had not tightened in polling to where Trump looked like he had a shot in either state. Pennsylvania had started to look tight in October so she did campaign frequently there.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 02:41:21 AM »

Her primary loss in MI should have been a warning for her but she abandoned MI & only went there at the last moment when the polls tightened & Trump started campaigning there.

It is a shame when the man she blames Bernie, campaigned as much if not more for her the last week, as she did.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »

Definitely yes.

Hillary's neglect of Michigan is part of a wider pattern of neglecting white working class voters - which extends to places like Pennsylvania where she did campaign extensively. Had she not neglected this voting group, she would almost certainly not have neglected to campaign in Michigan & Wisconsin.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »

Considering that she threw away money in Texas and didn't even try to coordinate with local activists, yes, absolutely.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »

Definitely yes.

Hillary's neglect of Michigan is part of a wider pattern of neglecting white working class voters - which extends to places like Pennsylvania where she did campaign extensively. Had she not neglected this voting group, she would almost certainly not have neglected to campaign in Michigan & Wisconsin.

I mean I thought the problem with Michigan was that African-American turnout was depressed, which of course made the problem with white working class voters even worse.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »

Definitely yes.

I mean I thought the problem with Michigan was that African-American turnout was depressed, which of course made the problem with white working class voters even worse.

Could've aimed a little more for insurance, which was there in GA and NC.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 12:53:11 AM »

Definitely yes.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »

We can blame her campaign and the DNC. And I'm sure Hillary herself would have been involved in the discussions where they chose not to campaign in MI/WI/PA.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »

Indiana 2008 was lost in the midst of a landslide.  Hillary won the popular vote.

So yes I can blame her, or rather, her crazy racist advisors.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies