Trump signs executive order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine market
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:54:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump signs executive order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine market
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump signs executive order to eliminate ACA insurance rules, undermine market  (Read 2167 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:54 PM »

The GOP will almost certainly side with the Democrats on funding the subsidies as it would spell doom for 2018.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:40 PM »

Yay i can potentially  afford health insurance now! Its funny how liberals hate corporations but love to support monopolistic policies as long as they're told they "help" people. After all, only republicans try to make corporatist polices sound like they help poor people. Liberals are too smart to be fooled.

You believe increased healthcare costs for the sick is a good thing?
Listen buddy, I'm self employed and have a family of 5. The cheapest plan i can get is $1600 a month. We haven't had health insurance for 5 years. My families incredibly healthy all we need is a catastrophe plan in case a seriously expensive accident happens.
"Among policy experts, critics warned that young and healthy people who use relatively little insurance will gravitate to association health plans because of their lower price tags. That would concentrate older and sicker customers in ACA marketplaces with spiking rates."
You shouldn't have to pay more insurance for a services you don't use. In our case its so much we can't afford it at all. The biggest winners in Obamacare were the large insurance companies who saw all their competition killed. We used to be able to afford health insurance... I'm sorry but those people already receive help through subsides, which my tax dollars fund.

With a family of 5, you're eligible for premium subsidies up to an income of over $115,000, which would lower your monthly premium to around $900 or so (or less if your income is less) per month for a Silver plan. Even less for a Bronze plan if that's all you need.

The $1600 is the premium plus the extra $700 a month payed in taxes before being subsidized due to Obamacare...

You're paying way too much. Our household income for a family of four is a bit south of six digits (but growing nicely), and we have a silver low deductible plan that I believe my wife told me the other day Kostas somewhere in the range of $350 a month.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:57 PM »

My household of 4 people makes about $140,000 a year. We do not qualify for subsidies. While I can't tell you how much insurance on the market place is for us off hand, @Friend isn't all that far off.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »

My household of 4 people makes about $140,000 a year. We do not qualify for subsidies. While I can't tell you how much insurance on the market place is for us off hand, @Friend isn't all that far off.

I'm really not too familiar with the marketplace, but don't insurance costs vary considerably by state? Badger may be correct that those are the prices in Ohio, but Florida's prices could be considerably higher. I recall my mom having this discussion with her brother who lives in Pennsylvania and insisted insurance options in Florida can't cost as much as she claimed.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »

I'm really not too familiar with the marketplace, but don't insurance costs vary considerably by state? Badger may be correct that those are the prices in Ohio, but Florida's prices could be considerably higher. I recall my mom having this discussion with her brother who lives in Pennsylvania and insisted insurance options in Florida can't cost as much as she claimed.

This is the NJ marketplace f.y.i. My permanent residence is in NJ until early next year. But I assume most people who don't qualify for subsidies are in the same boat. I'm a healthy man in my 20s yet it's about $1000+ for a silver plan on the market place for me. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 11:06:44 PM »

They vary by state but vary much more by income.

If you aren't eligible for subsidies, the Exchange policies are expensive in most places. Obviously I would support extending subsidy eligibility to anyone (so that you can't pay more than 10% of your income for your insurance), but to be ineligible for subsidies, a family of 4 has to be bringing in nearly $100K, so it's not like they are poor or anything.

If you are eligible for subsidies, your bill is capped at around 10% of your income, or less on a sliding scale down to around 2% of your income.

Anyway, unless "Friend" makes more than $115,000 per year (in which case it's hard to feel sorry for him), he's lying about how much on-Exchange coverage would cost. And since he's admitted in this thread that he was lying by nearly doubling what it costs and then handwaving the lie away by saying "oh yeah it's because I pay 700 in extra taxes!!!!11" we don't even have to worry about feeling sorry for him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »

This is the NJ marketplace f.y.i. My permanent residence is in NJ until early next year. But I assume most people who don't qualify for subsidies are in the same boat. I'm a healthy man in my 20s yet it's about $1000+ for a silver plan on the market place for me. 

That simply isn't true. I just went to Healthcare.gov, typed in a random NJ ZIP Code and claimed to be 29 years old. The Silver plans are in the $400-$500 range with no subsidies.

Anyone is welcome to try themselves: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:47 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 11:22:59 PM by superbudgie1582 »

That simply isn't true. I just went to Healthcare.gov, typed in a random NJ ZIP Code and claimed to be 29 years old. The Silver plans are in the $400-$500 range with no subsidies.

It was off the top of my head. I was thinking about insurance for my father whose in his mid 50s.

Edit: I've really screwed up the calculation. Regardless, for my family it's about 1500 a month for a silver plan for the 4 of us. Even though our household income is high, 1500 a month is hard to afford.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 11:18:29 PM »

I also typed in some information for "Friend."

Obviously this may not really be accurate because I don't know anything about him, but I tried a 40 year old, with a 35 year old spouse, 3 kids, Miami-Dade County, and $85,000 income.

I find Silver plans for around $750 and Bronze for around $600.

If his income is higher, the plans are more expensive. If his income is lower, the plans are cheaper. But yeah, nowhere even close to $1,600.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »

It was off the top of my head. I was thinking about insurance for my father whose in his mid 50s.

Edit: I've really screwed up the calculation. Regardless, for my family it's about 1500 a month for a silver plan for the 4 of us. Even though our household income is high, 1500 a month is hard to afford.

Have you tried looking at the link Harry provided?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies