cinyc for Lincoln Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:42:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  cinyc for Lincoln Senator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: cinyc for Lincoln Senator  (Read 2045 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »

That time of year is upon us again - another Lincoln election season where nobody has stepped up to give the voters a choice against an entrenched incumbent because they think they have no chance of winning.

I am announcing that I will run against Senator R2D2 in the Lincoln Senate election. Am I going to lose? Probably. But every election should be contested, lest voters who dissent from the incumbent's policies literally have no choice but to abstain.

My platform is fairly simple - I want to limit Nyman's power and devolve it back to Lincoln and the people of Lincoln, wherever possible. I want Nyman to tax less and spend less. And I want Nyman to cut or simplify job-killing regulations.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »

I look forward to the challenge! Thank you for keeping our elections competitive, it goes a long way Smiley
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »

Endorsed!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »

Endorsed, cinyc! Best of luck!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »

Endorsed!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »

Thank you for your endorsements.

Senator R2D2 - thank you for graciously accepting the challenge. I promise to have a good, fair election campaign with no mudslinging or ill will.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »

Endorsed
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:04 AM »

It is now election weekend. I urge all Lincoln citizens to vote in both the federal and Lincoln elections. Your opinion matters.

I’m waiting for clarification of the proposed federal Constitutional amendment before casting my ballot. If elected to the Senate, I will introduce legislation requiring the drafters of proposed constitutional amendments to state the original rule and the reasons for the proposed change in information that will ultimately be given to the public. Congressional opponents will be able to draft statements, too.

Too often, we vote on proposed constitutional amendments without full knowledge of the reasons to vote for or against them.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 12:20:59 AM »

Endorsed!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »

Proudly endorsed! I hope you join Congress.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »

That time of year is upon us again - another Lincoln election season where nobody has stepped up to give the voters a choice against an entrenched incumbent because they think they have no chance of winning.

I am announcing that I will run against Senator R2D2 in the Lincoln Senate election. Am I going to lose? Probably. But every election should be contested, lest voters who dissent from the incumbent's policies literally have no choice but to abstain.

My platform is fairly simple - I want to limit Nyman's power and devolve it back to Lincoln and the people of Lincoln, wherever possible. I want Nyman to tax less and spend less. And I want Nyman to cut or simplify job-killing regulations.

Congratulations on you’re upset win.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »

Congratulations on you’re upset win.

It's nowhere close to over yet. The polls are still open for another 2 1/2 hours or so, and there's a question about whether one of the votes is invalid, which would otherwise make the vote a tie.

I'm not declaring victory. I am asking all of my supporters who have yet to go to the polls to go out and vote. There's still time, and every vote counts.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »

Only 40 minutes till the vote is over you’re still up by 1 vote.
Is there anyone you want me to message to get that last vote?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »

There are about 90 minutes left in the election as of right now (elections are held on Eastern Standard Time, not Daylight Time). And I'm not necessarily up by 1 vote -Senator R2D2 forgot to vote for himself when he cast his first official ballot - and then voted for himself in another post. Whether the second vote is valid is in dispute. It's not counted in the unofficial tally (and, in my opinion, shouldn't be counted, as you don't get a second chance to go into a voting booth in the real world) - but might be by the Lt. Governor.

Thank for the offer, but there's no need to PM anyone.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »

There are about 90 minutes left in the election as of right now (elections are held on Eastern Standard Time, not Daylight Time). And I'm not necessarily up by 1 vote -Senator R2D2 forgot to vote for himself when he cast his first official ballot - and then voted for himself in another post. Whether the second vote is valid is in dispute. It's not counted in the unofficial tally (and, in my opinion, shouldn't be counted, as you don't get a second chance to go into a voting booth in the real world) - but might be by the Lt. Governor.

Thank for the offer, but there's no need to PM anyone.
It’s now tied someone voted for R2
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »

Again, only if Senator R2D2's vote isn't counted.

There are 90 minutes left, but I'm pretty sure I know how this will end. You're not going to be happy about it.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:05 PM »

Again, only if Senator R2D2's vote isn't counted.

There are 90 minutes left, but I'm pretty sure I know how this will end. You're not going to be happy about it.
Wait so are you up by 1 still because
Bacon voted for R2
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »

Wait so are you up by 1 still because
Bacon voted for R2

No. The race is either tied or Senator R2D2 is up by 1, if his late vote for himself is counted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »

The Lincoln polls have now closed. I would like to thank everyone who voted - whether they supported me or my esteemed opponent.

We now must wait for Lt. Governor kyc0705 to certify the results. It appears that the election will either result in a tie or a win for Senator R2D2, depending on how Senator R2D2's late Senate vote is counted. Either way, this isn't the result I expected (I expected to lose big). I trust Lt. Governor kyc0705 will certify the results after faithfully consulting the relevant Lincoln law - if there is any.

If there's a tie, and no relevant Lincoln laws on ties, perhaps Senator R2D2 and I can come to some agreement on how to break it. Assuming there is no Lincoln law on ties - and my cursory research hasn't found any - I urge the Lincoln Assembly to come up with a tiebreaker rule in their next session - probably as a constitutional amendment. Obviously, it can't apply retroactively, but Lincoln should have clear rules on how to break future ties.

Thank you.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »

The rules of Lincoln are based on the federal rules if I recall correctly.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 01:12:19 AM »

so a runoff?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 01:27:31 AM »

That was true under the last Northeastern constitution and its constituent electoral act, but I don’t think there’s anything in the new constitution specifying federal rules apply to anything but voter eligibility. Am I missing something?

It also doesn’t appear that the First or any subsequent Assemblies passed any election or tie-breaker laws.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:05 AM »

That was true under the last Northeastern constitution and its constituent electoral act, but I don’t think there’s anything in the new constitution specifying federal rules apply to anything but voter eligibility. Am I missing something?

It also doesn’t appear that the First or any subsequent Assemblies passed any election or tie-breaker laws.
Oh?
There isn't a line in the Lincoln constitution saying "All eligible to the fed election can vote in Lincoln elections." ?
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 01:39:04 AM »

Oh?
There isn't a line in the Lincoln constitution saying "All eligible to the fed election can vote in Lincoln elections." ?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »

Oh?

There sort of is. Article V, Section I says “The right to vote in all elections and referendums called according to the provisions of this Constitution shall be exclusive to those persons being eligible to vote in elections for President of the Republic of Atlasia who have been registered to vote in one of the states of this Region for a period of at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of the election.”

It doesn’t say that the federal tie-breaking or electoral rules apply, though. For example, Section 8 specifies that “All elections shall be by single transferable vote, unless otherwise specified by law.” - which might currently be the federal standard, but needn’t be in the future. The old Northeast electoral law or constitution (I forget which) used to specify STV as defined by the federal electoral act. The new constitution doesn’t.

I think we expected the First Lincoln Assembly to vote on the nuts and bolts of electoral rules when we framed the Lincoln constitution. They didn’t.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies