President Trump to scrap ACA subsidies.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:37:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Trump to scrap ACA subsidies.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: President Trump to scrap ACA subsidies.  (Read 2254 times)
Cory
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »

It's happening.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/trump-obamacare-subsidy-243736

President Donald Trump plans to cut off subsidy payments to insurers selling Obamacare coverage in his most aggressive move yet to undermine the health care law, according to two sources.

The subsidies, which are worth an estimated $7 billion this year and are paid out in monthly installments, may stop almost immediately since Congress hasn’t appropriated funding for the program.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »

This will wreck his presidency. He's literally sabotaging the health care of millions of Americans.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:12 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 09:49:39 PM by superbudgie1582 »

2 things I think will happen:

Insurers will sue and in the mean time an injunction will stop this E.O.

Congress will pass a bill funding the subsidies. This means Trump won't be able to use the C.S.R as leverage anymore.

I think it's important to remain calm in the meantime and be hopeful the courts work their magic in a timely fashion. 
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

Combine this with today's earlier EO and the ACA will be essentially gutted without an official repeal or replace passing through Congress. This will leave millions of vulnerable Americans without health insurance coverage. For Republicans, this is a suicide mission, considering the debate has shifted in the direction of universal coverage and that they faced their largest public rebuke due to their proposals kicking millions off their coverage. Not only from a humanitarian, but also from a political perspective, this is just awful.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »

Well, uh, I offer my condolences to the relatives of the millions of people who will literally die from this change. Trump might think that this is bringing care to millions of people, but it does the opposite, as it will cause premiums to skyrocket even more and encourage even more insurance companies to drop off the exchanges. And no, Trump allowing the law to collapse isn't going to make dems suddenly support TrumpCare. A terrible replacement is still a terrible replacement regardless of the status of the current law. Trump should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for this action. The Senate has effectively voted to keep ObamaCare, and Trump should respect their very admirable decision. Plus, I seem to remember Republicans of all stripes complaining about Obama's "pen and phone" - but now that one of them is in office, it's suddenly acceptable to use that same "pen and phone"?!?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »

Supposedly this may not be all that bad.

IF state insurance commissioners allow it, the insurers will load the full cost of the CSRs entirely onto on-Exchange Silver plans only, which will make the Silver plans cost more than Gold generally. (Even though that's kinda nonsensical.)

If Silver is suddenly a lot more expensive, the "second cheapest Silver plan" is more expensive, and that's what the premium subsidies (APTCs) are based on. It could mean that in 2018, Gold plans are available on Exchange to everyone for less than the price you'd expect to pay for Silver, and Bronze plans will be practically (or even literally) free.

Again, this assumes that the state insurance commissioners allow it, and that Trump/HHS doesn't contrive some way to disallow it. Most likely the Feds would end up paying out more money in extra APTCs than they would have paid in CSRs, and overall health insurance becomes cheaper to the consumer. But remember that's only because of a weird technicality and a nonsensical pricing scheme.

I highly doubt Trump has any idea about this, but it will be funny if the deficit increases because of this.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »

Well, uh, I offer my condolences to the relatives of the millions of people who will literally die from this change. Trump might think that this is bringing care to millions of people, but it does the opposite, as it will cause premiums to skyrocket even more and encourage even more insurance companies to drop off the exchanges. And no, Trump allowing the law to collapse isn't going to make dems suddenly support TrumpCare. A terrible replacement is still a terrible replacement regardless of the status of the current law. Trump should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for this action. The Senate has effectively voted to keep ObamaCare, and Trump should respect their very admirable decision. Plus, I seem to remember Republicans of all stripes complaining about Obama's "pen and phone" - but now that one of them is in office, it's suddenly acceptable to use that same "pen and phone"?!?

I freaking wish there was someway we could broadcast this entire comment on every tv in America. You hit the nail right on the head.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »

Like I said, it is important to remain calm. Looking at this logically, the C.S.R payments will get payed one way or another. Trump just tore a temporary band aid off. Congress will either be forced to fund it or the courts will make the administration follow the law.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »

Like I said, it is important to remain calm. Looking at this logically, the C.S.R payments will get payed one way or another. Trump just tore a temporary band aid off. Congress will either be forced to fund it or the courts will make the administration follow the law.

I haven't heard anything suggesting that Alexander/Murray is going to come together anytime soon, and while the courts take a few months to get around to blocking it (assuming they eventually do block it), we get to watch the death toll rise and rise.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »

I haven't heard anything suggesting that Alexander/Murray is going to come together anytime soon, and while the courts take a few months to get around to blocking it (assuming they eventually do block it), we get to watch the death toll rise and rise.

That's what injuctions are for.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:44 PM »

This, and trusting republican governors to run the exchanges just goes to show how foolish Obama was in his first few years.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »

Issuing a preliminary injunction requires the court to find that the case is likely to succeed on the merits. A court can easily take weeks or months to determine that, they're known for being sluggish.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »

Issuing a preliminary injunction requires the court to find that the case is likely to succeed on the merits. A court can easily take weeks or months to determine that, they're known for being sluggish.

The injunction on the travel ban was put in place within days of the E.O.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:13:28 PM »

And we have our first lawsuit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AGSchneiderman/status/918670616387117056
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 10:31:12 PM by superbudgie1582 »

The injunction on the travel ban was put in place within days of the E.O.

On what grounds is a court going to stop this? There's nothing inherently unconstitutional or illegal about it, as bad morally and politically as it is

Insurers are legally entitled to the C.S.R payments.

Edit: ACA is law, including the part about requiring insurers to offer affordable healthcare aswell as the part about the government reimbursing them.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:45 PM »

I hate this man with a burning passion.

Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »

Stop dreaming, courts are with the government, was not voted by Congress and Obama abused his executive authority

This certainly serves as a measure of pressure for traitorous Republicans to vote in favor of trumpcare
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »

Universal health care is an impossible communist dream
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »

Stop dreaming, courts are with the government, was not voted by Congress and Obama abused his executive authority

This certainly serves as a measure of pressure for traitorous Republicans to vote in favor of trumpcare

Get real.

They are going to let Trump go down with this ship. When people lose coverage, no one is going to blame congress.

They will blame that fat piece of sh**t in the WH.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »

Universal health care is an impossible communist dream

"Everything and everyone I don't like is a product of communism!!!"
- Trump Republicans
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »

Get real.

They are going to let Trump go down with this ship. When people lose coverage, no one is going to blame congress.

They will blame that fat piece of sh**t in the WH.
Obamacare is a disaster and should be eliminated no matter what the cost.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 10:50:40 PM »

Well, no. ACA was passed by the Senate and the house and signed by Obama. It is the law, and so are these subsidies.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:57 PM »

Trump is the devil incarnate. I hope he ends up in penniless in a jail cell without a single family member caring about him.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »

BTW, the GOP can kiss tax reform goodbye. The CSRs and Iran treaty debacle is going to tie up Congress for the rest of the legslative session.

This is what they get for coddling this asshole.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 10:56:57 PM »

Pwned!

These payments have already been ruled illegal by the DC district court.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies